Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Desperate for cash!

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    I hear you, @Stilljustme2, this game and this generation is the first time for me..ever...even living in San Myshuno. For story reasons, Abel really wanted to be close to the city for GeekCon festivals, and his dream to be an eSports superstar. The first apartment he lived in was over in the uptown district...but then he got married to Miko, who already had 3 children (from another, married, man)...and she ended up getting pregnant (by accident) right after she moved in with him (technically the order was, she moved in, got pregnant..then they got married).

Desperate need for a much larger space, and wanting to get moved to the same district that GeekCon is actually in, led to the penthouse. My plan had been not to have a child until the others were teens...but I have MCCC set to a (really low) chance of accidentally pregnancy.

Generation 1 of this family spent their entire life in the same lot in Willow Creek, which is pretty standard for my games...I find a nice home, and expand it over time, but never move. For this game I want to really mix it up, get out of my comfort zone, so each generation is going to move somewhere based on the traits and goals of the heir. Having a great time with it! Never had a sim family go broke after the first generation before.... it's refreshing! I really like the penthouse!

@Simsandra, does frugal stack up like that? I always just assumed it was a flat bonus...sweet if it stacks.
    It's mid-summer right now, so the thermostat has been on for cooling...I'm using Littlemssam's auto thermostat. Probably costing me though, huh?

@simmerville, Abel had 10k aspiration available, so thanks for the money tree tip! It doesn't show up when you sort by traits or potions, which I always do...so I probably would have missed it and not thought of it.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    OH! Sorry for misunderstanding @loubyloulou, the trait for getting interest is the reward for completing the Fortune->Fabulously Wealthy aspiration. The name of the trait is "Shrewd" and it gives interest of 5% of your household funds added to the bank roll every week.
    It's pretty awesome to have once you have some bank added up, which I usually do by generation 2 of a game (until I spend it all like a fool...obviously). My sims, before I spent all their money on the move, were getting about 23,000 a week from it.

Once I have progressed a bit in the game, it's pretty easy to complete the aspiration. The heir sim in my current game completed the aspiration instantly when i switched him to it after he had completed his first adult aspiration. He already met every qualification for every tier prior to me even taking it.

Ah, I see! I don't think I've ever actually completed that aspiration so that'd be why I'd never heard of it :D Add that to my Simming to-do list!
    @rosettasstoned, your ask for loan tip was great. I had Miko go out in the street in front of the penthouse, so the kids and Abel inside would still keep doing what they were doing. She befriended and asked every elder out there for a large loan and I made ~10k simoleons in just a few minutes.

I picked elders because maybe they will die before I have to pay them back...Either way the funds will help me get through this momentary shortfall of funding. Now I can leverage the other tips shared here as well, but the quick loan funds are enough to put my mind at ease.
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    edited December 2018
    @Stormkeep yes it stacks up. I dont have the % by hand, but it really pays out.
    For the thermostat a simple trick I use: I make always a hot and cold weather home outfit. Warm Socks and Sweaters for winter, light clothing for Summer, maybe a bikini or something and let them wear at home.

I dont now, I have a "garden" on that lot,so I built a pool and a kiddy pool to cool my Sims down. I guess ice cream does work too... But I'm not yet sure about pool and ice cream, haven't played the last week and I can't remember :D
    edited December 2018
    @simsandra thanks for the additional tips. I do have a pool and kiddie pool and already have outfits like you suggested set up..just didn't think to leave the thermostat off too, to save money. Man...so much like RL with my sims tight for money.

Looks like Miko is pregnant again too....3% risky woohoo seemed low when I set it...so money is going to continue to be tight for a while I think. I was counting on her getting some promotions, but pregnancy interferes with work. Note to self, Q-36 serves a real purpose.

I'm turning off the auto-thermostat on your advice right now.

ooh, edit: Pregnancy test said all is clear. *phew* She got sick, so i got scared.
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I have put vaults in many of the richer sims homes and had them put lots of money in them. My criminal sims rob them and have made a ton of money! Not sure if the kleptomaniac trait is needed or not though as mine both have it. They also rob art galleries/museums and sims homes. You may get some text messages from other sims though about stealing stuff and not being wanted at their homes anymore - just try not to get caught!
    Just wanted to stop in to thank everyone who helped here, again. Monday just arrived in my game and my household was up to 32K in funds. I used a combination of most of the ideas given, with painting (not the club idea though, although it was awesomely creative!), gardening, asking for loans and collections probably being responsible for the bulk of the non-salary funds garnered.

It helped there was a holiday in the week, so my sims collected full salaries for the day off, while still getting to spend active-time doing things to earn other money. Funnily enough, the one thing I was doing before asking for advice was almost no help at all...Abel only finished hacking one database and never did finish the app (yet)....

Bills were only 16k, thanks to the newly acquired Frugal trait, and Miko now has enough aspiration that I can get it for her as well, so the family is in the green with room to spare and the worry for their ability to keep the power on has passed.

So, again, from the bottom of the hearts of the Winters' and their 4 children, thank you so much for your tips and ideas!
  • unmogunmog Posts: 54 Member
    edited December 2018
    Well, for starters, do you have the aspiration perks that make you get more money from your job or being able to get promoted faster? It helps.

Otherwise, you could have one of the sims get good at a hobby and make money from it, like writing books, painting, music, or flower arranging. That combined with the perk that increases their money is easy to make money. Even kids can do it, my teen became a master painter while still in highschool, so put their butts to work.

For 5k satisfaction, you could get a money tree. Without any gardening even a base level tree gives 8k a day. With a bit of gardening you can take a trimming and apply it to other plants to also have them start paying out, allowing you to either sell the money fruit or plant more money trees.

There's also an easy way to win the lotto I figured out, because science. Buy a ticket for 100$ and just make sure to save before they announce the winner. For me, they announced it just before I went to work at 10am, so I just saved like 20 in game minutes before they announced it. I wanted to see if I reloaded enough if I would eventually win or not. After about an hour or two of save scumming, I won!

There's also a mod for more realistic/lower bills, I recommend it if you dont want to worry about 5 or 6 digit bills every week. Lastly, there's always cheats~ just saying.
    So, again, from the bottom of the hearts of the Winters' and their 4 children, thank you so much for your tips and ideas!

Oops, seems Im a little late and didnt read the second page. Well, thats good too, sorry I didnt notice until now kupo.
    moogle-gif-3.gif
  • ladysweettartladysweettart Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2018
    Stormkeep I would also recommend now that you have the money tree to choose the Fabulously Wealthy aspiration, with the money tree (or trees if you can get up to more), it takes no time at all to achieve that aspiration and then you get the interest payment you were referring to.

My current sim is a single mom, doesn't work, and gets all her income from the money tree, interest from gaining the shrewd trait, and child support. If you have MCCC you may be able to get child support as well (I think you mentioned in another thread that Miko already had children from someone else)? Anyway just by doing those things my sim has more money than she knows what to do with! (In only about 6 sim weeks' time)!
    I have a YouTube Channel dedicated to Sims 4! You can find it here if you are so inclined!

www.youtube.com/c/LadySweettart
    edited December 2018
    @ladysweettart, thanks for the tip. I actually already had that aspiration (and completed it instantly) on Abel. It just doesn't help once you tap yourself down to almost 0 funds.

It was the imminent baby and needing a bigger place that led to spending all of the family funds. I guess it was irresponsible of me to buy a place that was slightly more than they could afford, but I felt they could recover quickly...until I got the first week's bills.

Funny that you mentioned child support...cause she does get some. 3 of the 4 kids have a different father than who is in my household. That first-bill week it was only a few thousand, but this second week it was a bit over 9,000, so it definitely helps!
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I moved my sim family to 1 Torendi Tower Penthouse (at a cost of 456,000 simoleons). After their first week, the bills of 20k(ish) brought them down to only 1,000 simoleons in liquid funds.

I desperately need to make sure they raise the money to afford bills each week and it doesn't look like career salary alone will cut it. I'm seeking advice on the best way to earn some money quickly with what skills they have available. They have 3 children and 1 toddler to care for as well, which is really cutting into available earning time.

Miko works in the charity branch of the political career, is at career level 5, and has High Charisma and singing, and middling painting skill.
    Abel works in the Tech career and is a pro-gamer (top of career ladder), he has maxed video gaming, cooking, handiness, logic, programming and rocket science skills.

I'm having Abel work on hacking and then will do some programming. Just wondering if there's something I'm missing as a better money earner with what is available to them. Painting is pretty good normally, but I use a mod that makes painting take longer because it's pretty much 'too good' for money normally (imo). Is there a way for Miko to earn money just with Charisma?

Heh, i'm not used to being in this dilemma...I don't normally let my established (this is 2nd generation household) sims get this tapped out, but they needed larger digs because of all the kids.

motherlode them
    edited December 2018
    @catmando830, I've never used a money cheat, never will. I don't even let myself buy the traits that cheat the needs from the aspiration store. That stuff just takes away elements that make you 'play' the game.

Cheating to get funds is all well and fine if you are not actually playing, like if you are just doing filming or pictures for storytelling outside of the game or are trying to set up a specific story, but if you are already truly playing...all cheats do is shorten the amount of time the game will hold your interest...so no thanks! I don't see the point of spending real money on entertainment and then making choices that shorten that entertainment.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited December 2018
    Some ideas could be selling cooked dishes for 50 to 75% rate right in a yard sale or at a festival. The kids can help sell that. Combine that with fishing for Sturgeon fish valued at $2k to $3k with all the adult/young adult sims could help as well. If you know how to collect the ingredients for ambrosia, that would give you up to $75k too. Additionally, selling paintings at a festival could earn you up to $15k or more a piece depending on the skill of your Sims. If all else fails, you should just downsize or trade out more expensive items such as beds, tv's, and computers in favor of cheaper ones or rent out some basement space to other working Sims.

Btw, in the future, buying a business first is probably a better idea than buying an overpriced house first. Then you know you will have sustainable income. Interestingly enough, one of my Sims earns her money even when she is not at her boutique and it seems to always be just enough to cover her bills. Not bad!
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
    edited December 2018
    @MsKatieRose I'm past the need for the money now, but I'm learning a lot of things I didn't know in this thread. I have some questions for you:
    • How do you sell cooked dishes in a yard sale? I assume it is connected to something that came with the pack that lets you do retail, is there like a table or something you can use to sell things even if you don't have a retail lot?
    • Same regarding selling at the festivals in CL. I've bought things there, didn't know I could sell. Do I just bring stuff along and use one of the tables set up?
    • Along with the first question, is there something available that keeps food fresh when it's out for sale?

I own all the packs except MFPS, but haven't done anything with the retail stuff yet. I tend to take a while before I really dig deep into new content that is outside the realm of raising families and entertainment. For TS3...I never did get around to doing anything with the futuristic pack.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited December 2018
    @MsKatieRose I'm past the need for the money now, but I'm learning a lot of things I didn't know in this thread. I have some questions for you:
    • How do you sell cooked dishes in a yard sale? I assume it is connected to something that came with the pack that lets you do retail, is there like a table or something you can use to sell things even if you don't have a retail lot?
    • Same regarding selling at the festivals in CL. I've bought things there, didn't know I could sell. Do I just bring stuff along and use one of the tables set up?
    • Along with the first question, is there something available that keeps food fresh when it's out for sale?

Sorry, I edited my initial reply as you were responding. To answer your questions, you can store your food in a refrigerator indoors or outdoors that acts as your inventory. Just click on the tables at the festivals and it will enable you to take stuff from your own inventory. For a yard sale, buy the table in buy/build section. Additionally, if you have the trait, FreshChef, your food will stay fresh forever. OTherwise, you can always re-cook it, I guess. But just sell it at a timely manner. Just like if you buy food from a store you have made or downloaded. You have to put it in a fridge as soon as possible or it will spoil in your inventory. Good luck!
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
    Oh, sweet, so the same table that is at festivals works on residential lots, I didn't know that! Awesome, thank you @MsKatieRose.

That's so cool, means my sims can have yard sales. Wish I'd have known that sooner, always assumed it was tied to retail lots. Don't ask me why I made that assumption other than...I think that's how it was in TS2, and I sometimes get caught in preconception based on past games in the series.
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    edited December 2018
    In the penthouses you can have planters. I would get a money tree if you can (5000 points) &/or several dragonfruit plants. You can start by just getting at least one dragonfruit. I have the plants &/or the fruit in the gallery. (Same username as here.) Downloading the room they're in costs about $300 or so, but only about $20 or less is the plant - there is no fruit on the plant, so it's cheap. Once you delete the room and table you'll get the other money back. Squeeze out the money to get the plants started and tend them... before long they will be your income supplement that will make the bills in the penthouse affordable. You can even expand the garden by re-planting some of the fruits and have one sim with no job but painting, selling paintings (as @Simsandra mentioned, once the painting skills are high selling them makes a nice income), gardening and selling the harvests. Works really well.
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    @catmando830, I've never used a money cheat, never will. I don't even let myself buy the traits that cheat the needs from the aspiration store. That stuff just takes away elements that make you 'play' the game.

Cheating to get funds is all well and fine if you are not actually playing, like if you are just doing filming or pictures for storytelling outside of the game or are trying to set up a specific story, but if you are already truly playing...all cheats do is shorten the amount of time the game will hold your interest...so no thanks! I don't see the point of spending real money on entertainment and then making choices that shorten that entertainment.

Sorry, I just see it as part of the game to use.
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    There is a reward trait (don't know the English word, modest or frugal) that helps a lot against high bills.

thanks for that reminder, my household bills just went to 91,000 a week first it was 15,000 then 24,000, to 74,000 now 91,000, they are just farmers. I know that trait I only hope I have enough rewards to buy it.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    If one of your Sims has the Kleptomanic trait and at least Level 7 Mischief you could easily steal over $10k in property daily. That museum in Willow Creek has the $8,200 knight statue. The Goth house also has one too.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
    edited December 2018
    Stormsview wrote: »
    There is a reward trait (don't know the English word, modest or frugal) that helps a lot against high bills.

thanks for that reminder, my household bills just went to 91,000 a week first it was 15,000 then 24,000, to 74,000 now 91,000, they are just farmers. I know that trait I only hope I have enough rewards to buy it.

@Stormsview
    ...I found this one out the hard way... I had a large household with career-successful, wealthy sims so they had enough for their bills and they lived in the Old Salt House. They ran a restaurant and a retail store, and I had the heat running, so I figured this was the was the reason that their bills suddenly raised a lot after the Seasons Expansion - after they began gardening a lot - (they had a nice garden and greenhouse and some of the plants were high-income plants - they sold the produce along with cooked items in the lice cold freezers at the retail store). When the household bills got to about $150,000 I started thinking something was up.

So... I went into the inventory. I deleted extra stuff that had accumulated in the household inventory, but it was not crazy-much. Then I realized that in their personal inventories they had excess harvest items ("99+") and when I went through and sold all of their harvested items it turned out that the big ticket item was the dragon fruits. After selling almost of their 'inventoried' dragon fruits they were millionaires! And their bills became reasonable, and the bills stay reasonable as long as I make sure their inventories don't get excessive.

Bottom line? ...If you have a large or high-income garden, when you harvest, sell most of it & don't keep too much in the inventory.
    Sims 4 Gallery
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
    SheriGR wrote: »
    Stormsview wrote: »

@Stormsview
    ...I found this one out the hard way... I had a large household with career-successful, wealthy sims so they had enough for their bills and they lived in the Old Salt House. They ran a restaurant and a retail store, and I had the heat running, so I figured this was the was the reason that their bills suddenly raised a lot after the Seasons Expansion - after they began gardening a lot - (they had a nice garden and greenhouse and some of the plants were high-income plants - they sold the produce along with cooked items in the lice cold freezers at the retail store). When the household bills got to about $150,000 I started thinking something was up.

So... I went into the inventory. I deleted extra stuff that had accumulated in the household inventory, but it was not crazy-much. Then I realized that in their personal inventories they had excess harvest items ("99+") and when I went through and sold all of their harvested items it turned out that the big ticket item was the dragon fruits. After selling almost of their 'inventoried' dragon fruits they were millionaires! And their bills became reasonable, and the bills stay reasonable as long as I make sure their inventories don't get excessive.

Bottom line? ...If you have a large or high-income garden, when you harvest, sell most of it & don't keep too much in the inventory.

I have so many dragon fruits in my inventory its uncountabal. 99+ I do keep most everything. I do also have on the heat have puppys. Thank you , Thank you. I have so much furniture in my inventory. This is what I get for being to lazy to clean out my inventory. So we will be rich now :)B) Thanks again.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    @Stormsview I'm so glad that this may be the issue! I would love to hear if that was it, once your next bills come due. I couldn't believe it the nigh t I decided to clear those dragon fruits pout of my inventory It was ridiculous. I spent well over an hour dragging every one of those rascally fruits to sell them individually as it would not allow me to drag the stack in and sell it until it was under 99. I still have no idea how many I sold that night. It was over a million simoleons worth. And I had several sims who had been harvesting a lot. Oy, vey! At least once it's done it's one, and you know not to keep a lot in inventory in the future. :)
    Good luck!
    Sims 4 Gallery
    edited December 2018
    SheriGR wrote: »
    @Stormsview I'm so glad that this may be the issue! I would love to hear if that was it, once your next bills come due. I couldn't believe it the nigh t I decided to clear those dragon fruits pout of my inventory It was ridiculous. I spent well over an hour dragging every one of those rascally fruits to sell them individually as it would not allow me to drag the stack in and sell it until it was under 99. I still have no idea how many I sold that night. It was over a million simoleons worth. And I had several sims who had been harvesting a lot. Oy, vey! At least once it's done it's one, and you know not to keep a lot in inventory in the future. :)
    Good luck!

Yes, you were right, I was falling asleep trying to get rid of them. but now we are rich lol and have a butler and a gardener. Its a lot more furniture in my inventory. but I am almost done. Our lot is 64x64, I do have a big greenhouse, and I guess I have all the plants I got a plaque from the community garden center that said I had all the plants, Most I grew but some I snatched lol, so now I no longer have to sneak into my neighbors yard to get plants. lol, how did they know? I only have one problem, my cowplant die within 24 hours sims hours. :/ I did try two times??
    oh yea, I forgot my bills are down to 15,000. Thats great for the size lot I have and all the lights on in the greenhouse and the home. I also bought the reward trait for lower bills.

I think gardens are the best way to go in the game for cash. but you have to sell and not keep. Huge ones like mine are a lot of work because I wanted all the plants lol.

If you're just out for money then just do dragon fruits and money trees. You will have more money than any job or business.
    Post edited by Stormsview on

I understand your problem, I remember when I had 4 kids My husband had some job that he would bring in very little money. So I had to stay home and care for my family at the same time. All I started doing at first was walk around the corner and go around all the yards, harvesting any and every plant then just sell them ,that would bring me about 1200 per day for just walking around the corner. that way we paid our bills.

then I started going to different city's doing the same thing getting even more money and plants, even fishing to sell the fish, I then decided to make my own garden. But you do not have to, you can make a lot of money just going around the hoods lol.