Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How To Politely Ask Apartment Neighbors To Quiet Down?

Is it even possible to ask the apartment neighbors to quiet down without yelling at them ruining our friendship/romance every few in game minutes they get loud? I mean come on these forced lot traits are bad enough I don't want to have to lose friends over them too.
1. The Sims 2
2. The Sims 3
3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
4. The Sims 1

Comments

• Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    I had a sim who just got her first apartment after working hard from living on a decrepit lot (a bit of a rags to riches challenge I am working on and having fun with). First night a neighbor started making noise. But my sim was feeling up to some guitar busking so she ignored the noise and just went down to the common area to make tips.
    Next night my sim takes a shower, practicing her singing in the process, and that one sim who was making a racket the night before had the nerve to complain. I ignored her and she promised that there would be consequences! OOOOOooo I'm scared. Might be time for Penny Pizzazz to find somewhere else to live. Never much liked her from the getgo.

I've had very limited success with knocking politely as most of the times such knockings aren't heard or just ignored. I find it is best to just pound on the door, complain, and see how it goes from there. If the person takes offense then the friendship hit isn't that big.
    I have found that if there is a certain distance and enough walls to the offending apartment's front door, your sim will actually not be bothered by it. So if you have a decent sized apartment, I would recommend at least putting the bedroom furthest from. It'd be worth experimenting with. If there isn't enough space, then it is high time to raise enough money to get a bigger apartment, as any of the smallest apartments will be carrying other problems as well regardless. Needs TLC and Gremlins is good for if you want a Handy Sim.
    It would be nice if we could null such negative traits like Noisy Neighbors, but they are there for a reason. There is a romanticism about apartment life, but there is also a cost to it. Gotta spend more to enjoy more elbow room and peace and quiet.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    @Samsonguy9000 Are you sure about that number of walls thing? My sims would be woken up and unable to go back to sleep even in bedrooms on the far end of the apartment, with multiple rooms in between.

@aws200 If you have a good enough relationship with the neighbors, the hit from asking them to quiet down angrily isn't that big. I always just took the hit, then hug it out to get the relationship back up, then go back to bed. It takes a few minutes after they quiet down before your sims can go to bed anyway, and that is just enough time to do a few friendly interactions to recover the relationship loss.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    I live across from Penny and another household, my place is facing the geek con/romance festival spot. So its hard to have distance. Also is there a way to not get complaints about noise?
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • KalopsianDreamerKalopsianDreamer Posts: 183 Member
    When a neighbouring household is being noisy you're given two options when you click on their door, I think these are 'knock politely' and 'bang on door'? You should always try and do knock politely first if you can (sometimes your angry emote stops you from being able to) as if they hear you and come out there's usually no negative affect on your relationship. However I think if you bang on the door the percentage chance for yelling and a relationship loss is higher.
    ĆØΜ€ ŦØ ŦĦ€ ĆŘΔŦ€Ř - ΜØŦĦ€Ř ĆΔŁŁŞ ¥ØỮ ĦØΜ€
    @aws200 I haven't quite determined what causes the noise complaints where neighbors knock on my sims' door, but I always have either the TV or stereo on when it happens...and I tend to put volume to high on stereos. I assumed it was this that was causing it. Does it happen to you with no stereo or TV on and all your sims quietly in bed?
  • IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    aws200 wrote: »
    I live across from Penny and another household, my place is facing the geek con/romance festival spot. So its hard to have distance. Also is there a way to not get complaints about noise?

Do neighbors never complain if you're at high/max friendship with them?
    Not sure how that'd work if there are multiple Sims in each apartment, though.

There's a lot trait so that your Neighbors never make noise, but that doesn't stop them from getting mad at you for making noise.
    From my experience, "loud" activities are Working Out, Woohoo, Playing Instruments, Stereos playing music, multiple TVs on, and maybe upgrading things.
  • Genji TakayaGenji Takaya Posts: 45 Member
    edited December 2018
    My sim tried to be polite once, and the other sim told my sim to get a life lol

I used cheats to erase her existence.

Edited for swearing. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
    edited December 2018
    @lyasenu Ohh...upgrading things. My handy sim has the trait where he needs less sleep and often stays up late doing upgrades while the rest of the household sleeps. That might explain why he kept upsetting the neighbors! Thanks for the info, I did not put 2 and 2 together that the upgrading might be noisy. He also always had one stereo on so it might have just been that..but it's still good to know upgrade could be part of the issue, seeing as one stereo normally isn't a problem.

and @Genji Takaya, you get an awesome..because that was hilarious.
  • MuggyQuasarMuggyQuasar Posts: 169 Member
    This mechanic gives me such mixed feelings because on the one hand the relationship hit/loss of sleep is frustrating but on the other hand it's very realistic. As a student I had... encounters much like this. The relationship deterioration was much worse than portrayed in the game ;)

Is there a mod that allows the removable of forced Lot traits, maybe? Taking off the Party Place trait and adding Quiet to all the apartments would probably help, but you'd need a mod to do it, and I don't know of one that does that off the top of my head.
    lgYUYx0.jpg
  • PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @aws200 I haven't quite determined what causes the noise complaints where neighbors knock on my sims' door, but I always have either the TV or stereo on when it happens...and I tend to put volume to high on stereos. I assumed it was this that was causing it. Does it happen to you with no stereo or TV on and all your sims quietly in bed?

I have sims living across the hall from man bun matey who live alone (can't remember his name) Ssss..S.. (nope, gone) and the amount of times I've had a sim storm over (always have the same sim do so she's disliked but her husband isn't) #ladssticktogether and its usually because of woohoo - but he comes out in a maids outfit and like @Genji Takaya she's told to go out and have/get a life of her own..

the only time I've received a noise complaint is when I didn't see the sim time and she was playing the retro game machine (like the arcade machine) at STUUUUUPID o'clock with her twin daughters... whoops, that's what happens when you get so frustrated and cheap the needs so everyone is happy all round and therefore don't need to sleep at normal times
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    edited December 2018
    What causes your neighbors to complain:
    Any of these activities after 10pm
    1. Working out
    2. Playing video games
    3. Watching TV
    4. Listening to music or playing instruments
    5. Woohoo
    6. Maybe arguing/fighting

I use this mod because I love apartments but hate the noisy neighbors.
    modthesims.info/d/620703/no-noisy-neighbors-thick-apartment-walls.html
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    This mechanic gives me such mixed feelings because on the one hand the relationship hit/loss of sleep is frustrating but on the other hand it's very realistic. As a student I had... encounters much like this. The relationship deterioration was much worse than portrayed in the game ;)

Is there a mod that allows the removable of forced Lot traits, maybe? Taking off the Party Place trait and adding Quiet to all the apartments would probably help, but you'd need a mod to do it, and I don't know of one that does that off the top of my head.

There's this one.

http://modthesims.info/d/588254/unlocked-lot-traits.html

You should pair it with this one though.

http://www.modthesims.info/d/588505/moveable-buyable-city-living-apartment-objects.html
    wow, great info @fallenangel66, that's going in my cheat-sheet of game tips/notes/info.