Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How big is your mods folder?

Comments

• DarkWalkerDarkWalker Posts: 64 Member
    By size, not so large, as I almost don't use CC; it's less than 150MB.

As for the number of files, it has over 1500 files spread across literally a hundred folders, and that after a bit of pruning (though that number is inflated because I have some mods loaded as loose files); I make extensive use of small tuning mods and script mods, to the point I actually wrote a few tools to allow me to more easily find mods that need an update. I also write my own mods, and often play the game with a bunch modding tools open on my second monitor so I can tweak almost in real time anything I'm not satisfied with.
  • analogicaanalogica Posts: 1 New Member
    54,6 GB. 21.495 CC. i'm a builder colleccionist. Only luumia mods.
  • RebelRevanAngelRebelRevanAngel Posts: 8 New Member
    Oh gods, I don't know. But, I will guess now that I deleted probably over 3GB of CC/Mods, right around 6-7GB? Game and laptop still run fine{A few lag spots here and there but oh well}
  • ErinMoriartyErinMoriarty Posts: 3 New Member
    I have 50.5GB, around 6,150 individual pieces. The large, large majority are Alpha hairs.

I also use HQ mod, so I have HQ textures for the game installed, and I have default texture replacements for a lot of the grass and other ground-coverings to make that look more realistic. I also have CC clouds and a CC moon and such...

I basically love everything about the game except I want it to look and feel as real as possible and I'm on a continued journey to make that happen.

I have a fairly OK system. It is a gaming PC but most of the components are 7-8 years old, it's not cutting edge or anything. It takes a while at the load screens, and when generating random Sims and the like, but it doesn't really have any other stability issues.

I also have a TON of mods that change how the game behaves to make the Sims have more/better traits, more interactions, more realistic interactions... like MCCC, Slice of Live, Improve Romance, Realistic Reactions, Passionate Romance, etc.

On top of that, LittleMsSam's various tweaks and fixes are invaluable...

I have a problem.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    6.57 MB I only have 7 mod folders and 81 items in total. Most of the "individual" items are for MCCC, Slice of life and Meaningful stories.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    Under 10BG for sure... :''D My computer handles it pretty well at least for now but I did buy it this year, so... :''D
  • SimsCat84SimsCat84 Posts: 72 Member
    13,8 Gb ( 5583 files in 345 folders) :D
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Up until last year my game could never operate normally beyond 1 gb. Now that I have a gaming computer, my mods folder has ballooned to 1.5 gb and growing. Still doesn't have any effect on loading times, still just as fast as it ever was. I have a personal cap on my mods folder but until then, I can binge, lightly. B)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    It is empty. :smiley:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    2102 package files of CAS and B/B items. 18 script mods. And 48 game fixing mods. My game fixing mods folder shrunk from 80 mods to 48 mainly because my go-to modder hasn't updated his mods yet so I am trying to find replacements for those. But I don't blame him for not updating after the November update. He has created hundred of mods, and it requires a lot of work to update so many. But with as many updates as we get from EA, I understand why he is tired of trying to keep his mods current.
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    I have 50.5GB, around 6,150 individual pieces. The large, large majority are Alpha hairs.

I also use HQ mod, so I have HQ textures for the game installed, and I have default texture replacements for a lot of the grass and other ground-coverings to make that look more realistic. I also have CC clouds and a CC moon and such...

I basically love everything about the game except I want it to look and feel as real as possible and I'm on a continued journey to make that happen.

I have a fairly OK system. It is a gaming PC but most of the components are 7-8 years old, it's not cutting edge or anything. It takes a while at the load screens, and when generating random Sims and the like, but it doesn't really have any other stability issues.

I also have a TON of mods that change how the game behaves to make the Sims have more/better traits, more interactions, more realistic interactions... like MCCC, Slice of Live, Improve Romance, Realistic Reactions, Passionate Romance, etc.

On top of that, LittleMsSam's various tweaks and fixes are invaluable...

I have a problem.

I would really like to see a video/screenie of your game. That sounds amazing!
  • GogoMGogoM Posts: 57 Member
    1.6 gb, my laptop runs great. I switched from alpha to maxis match and my folder became much smaller. My mods folder is very organized now and I regularly purge cc that I don't use or find alternatives for in the game. I appreciate alpha, however, it felt as though I could not use the game items to mix and match, so now I can mix & match with ease.
  • budget_zendayabudget_zendaya Posts: 42 Member
    16.25 gb :s And 99% of it is CAS CC. Last time I checked I had over 3,000 pieces and I NEED to clean out my CC so badly. I'm also embarrassed to say I play on a laptop and I do not use laptop mode (the graphics are terrible I can't stand it). My game runs almost completely fine though. It's occasionally slow but hardly noticeable. I say a little prayer every time I open my game and the fan immediately comes on :D hoping I can get an actual desktop setup in 2020
  • 2ManyWitnesses2ManyWitnesses Posts: 2 New Member
    Rn I got 7,182 files of CC wi a added 36 folders
  • 2ManyWitnesses2ManyWitnesses Posts: 2 New Member
    It works fine
  • valkyrieplaysvalkyrieplays Posts: 22 Member
    16.7GB, mainly CAS (maxis match)!
    my simblr
    cc finds
    tumblr challenge directory - can submit challenges, posts of your challenge progress, and promo yourself as long as you participate in challenges!
  • szanne7777szanne7777 Posts: 43 Member
    Just because you asked (even if it was a long time ago, lol), my cc game has:

126gb in Mods (cc and some mods - mostly TwistedMexi), consisting of 76,084 files. 🥰
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    My mod folder is currently 5.4gb. But that's *sooo* much smaller than the one I had for TS2! For TS2 it was more like 12gb.

I suspect that my folder size does slow things down a bit. That's why I'm using Sims 4 Studio to delete the colors of my cc that I won't be using anyway. (But I haven't finished that process yet. But I know that my folder had more than its current 5.4gb before I started the process. I've also considerably decreased the amount of CC I've been downloading.)
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,667 Member
    2.7 gb. Trying to keep it down, and thought I had failed, but that was before reading this thread, LOL.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,667 Member
    KatAnubis wrote: »
    My mod folder is currently 5.4gb. But that's *sooo* much smaller than the one I had for TS2! For TS2 it was more like 12gb.

I suspect that my folder size does slow things down a bit. That's why I'm using Sims 4 Studio to delete the colors of my cc that I won't be using anyway. (But I haven't finished that process yet. But I know that my folder had more than its current 5.4gb before I started the process. I've also considerably decreased the amount of CC I've been downloading.)

I do delete swatches, too! I'm always happy to see the creator was generous adding lots of variation, but I know I'll use each item in only a handful homes, and I normally get rid of 50% of the options before adding the item to my mods folder.

Also - be aware that some file names will cause lagging! The game takes longer to read []() and space, and all other special character. When I adjusted all filenames I experienced the in game catalog worked faster. So many creators start the file name with "[xx]" probably not knowing it's harder for the game to read.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited November 2020
    Here is what my computer tells me: 43,688,092,794 bytes (43.8 GB on disk) for 10,829 items.
    :scream:

This much of it is CAS: 37,799,193,832 bytes (37.9 GB on disk) for 6,963 items.

With part of my hard drive Bootcamped, I only have 396 GB storage for every single thing on the part of my laptop storage that I regularly use. This means that more than ten percent of my regular in-use computer storage is just mods.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • tamako3tamako3 Posts: 52 Member
    25GB. It's about to get heavy and freezes a lot.
  • shanls96shanls96 Posts: 321 Member
    I didn’t know we could change the file names? Can we just rename them and have them still work no issues? (Idk why I thought we wouldn’t be able to)
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    shanls96 wrote: »
    I didn’t know we could change the file names? Can we just rename them and have them still work no issues? (Idk why I thought we wouldn’t be able to)

You can definitely change them, but I wouldn't recommend it if you have many. By keeping the original names, I can Google them when I forget what they are or who created them, and I can quickly find a mod in my folder that needs to be updated after a patch because it has the same name.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • szanne7777szanne7777 Posts: 43 Member
    @shanls96 you can use BulkRenameUtility to make renaming files easier.

I simply remove symbols, characters that aren't letters or numbers, and spaces. Here is a link:

https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php

I rename files before I put them in my Mods folder. Doing this makes it easier for your game to read through all the files 🥳