Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stop blameing the player

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    sebibergs wrote: »
    I really do not like it how the game is blaming the player when a toddler is involved. When toddler or child do not get food by now , the game is waveing with raised finger the player is a bad person. The toddler and child is not the important thing in the game and the AI of this game is very obstructive very often by solving any needs. (pancakes are placed on the chair for toddlers. Toddler is placed into the chair. Toddler is waving for an adult to placed out of the chair to get angry because it has hunger. and the adults are stop every other players instructions to put the child out of the highchair.) The worst of this whole situation is that game is blaming the player in a text box, because this toddler or child has hunger.
    There are to much animations that are more important than fulfill the needs. Sim have to go to toilet. Instead of player's instruction to go to the toilet, the Sim is standing on spot and crying "he have to go to toilet". As it would not be enough, the Sim does not run to toilet he goes in slow motion.
    Change this back how it was handled in Sims 1, please.

Seriously, Sims 1? Those Sims would constantly pee themselves, fill every spot with ordered pizzas and starve themselves if left to their own devices. In Sims 4, even with autonomy off, Sims will take care of their most essential needs. (I once forgot about a Sim I left to write a book while I was concentrating on another Sim. When her bladder reached the bright red stage, she quit writing and used the toilet. And yes, it was the talking toilet - it works fine for me. The first time a Sim uses it, they will stop and stare at it, but after that, they use it properly.) They do a lot less complaining and more doing in Sims 4.

I agree about the high chairs, however. I could leave my older Sims to take care of themselves and they would, but the one time I experimented with autonomous toddler care, I came back to find the toddler about to be taken away. The high chairs don't work properly because the feed interaction is separate from placing the child in the chair, so the 'check toddler' queues up in between.

See, autonomy off should be off. Period. If I told one to sit right here, while I do something with a different Sim, they should not get up barge into a conversation I was filming. This game reeks of failures.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OfSylvanGladeOfSylvanGlade Posts: 86 Member
    I don't usually have an issue with this since I don't use the high chair, I just put food on a table for them and let them grab it and eat it on the floor. But I did have an issue just today where I took the parents out on a date and left the toddler in day care, and his needs had barely been solved even though it was set to have him take care of his needs. The day care did almost nothing to help him, and literally moments after the parents returned home, the toddler was whisked away by social services so I had to revert to an earlier save. I didn't even get a chance to feed him, but because of how useless the daycare was I was punished for it.
  • Dukemon20Dukemon20 Posts: 38 Member
    edited November 2018
    Sapphisims wrote: »
    was I was punished for it.
    And were probably be blamed from the game because this little toddler is helpless, You are a MONSTER.

@invisiblgirl: Yes, Sims 1. The AI was good enough. The Sims were going on toilette when the blader value was low, if free-will was on. And they run onto the toilette.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I really do not like it how the game is blaming the player when a toddler is involved. When toddler or child do not get food by now , the game is waveing with raised finger the player is a bad person. The toddler and child is not the important thing in the game and the AI of this game is very obstructive very often by solving any needs. (pancakes are placed on the chair for toddlers. Toddler is placed into the chair. Toddler is waving for an adult to placed out of the chair to get angry because it has hunger. and the adults are stop every other players instructions to put the child out of the highchair.) The worst of this whole situation is that game is blaming the player in a text box, because this toddler or child has hunger.
    There are to much animations that are more important than fulfill the needs. Sim have to go to toilet. Instead of player's instruction to go to the toilet, the Sim is standing on spot and crying "he have to go to toilet". As it would not be enough, the Sim does not run to toilet he goes in slow motion.
    Change this back how it was handled in Sims 1, please.

Seriously, Sims 1? Those Sims would constantly pee themselves, fill every spot with ordered pizzas and starve themselves if left to their own devices. In Sims 4, even with autonomy off, Sims will take care of their most essential needs. (I once forgot about a Sim I left to write a book while I was concentrating on another Sim. When her bladder reached the bright red stage, she quit writing and used the toilet. And yes, it was the talking toilet - it works fine for me. The first time a Sim uses it, they will stop and stare at it, but after that, they use it properly.) They do a lot less complaining and more doing in Sims 4.

I agree about the high chairs, however. I could leave my older Sims to take care of themselves and they would, but the one time I experimented with autonomous toddler care, I came back to find the toddler about to be taken away. The high chairs don't work properly because the feed interaction is separate from placing the child in the chair, so the 'check toddler' queues up in between.

See, autonomy off should be off. Period. If I told one to sit right here, while I do something with a different Sim, they should not get up barge into a conversation I was filming. This game reeks of failures.

I'm on the fence with the limited autonomy they have during social interactions. On the one hand, it's nice to be able to start two Sims talking and not have to direct every interaction to keep them talking, but on the other, I can see your frustration with Sims barging into a conversation. And sometimes, my Sims will say something that annoys the other Sim when left to continue on their own, so I tend to cut conversations short once the social bar is maxed.

I get more annoyed with 'self-care'. If I leave a Sim reading or sleeping while I take another Sim to, say, Sixam, the Sim on self-care should continue to do what she was told to do, at least until needs start to dip into the red. I have to lock up the kitchen before leaving Sims on self-care, or I come back to find that the leftovers are gone and plates of spaghetti everywhere.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Dukemon20Dukemon20 Posts: 38 Member
    or I come back to find that the leftovers are gone and plates of spaghetti everywhere.

In game my it is a glass milk, water or orange juice.

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    or I come back to find that the leftovers are gone and plates of spaghetti everywhere.

Yeah in mine too and I find it annoying for they go and get water so many times or they are mighty thirsty.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited November 2018
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Yeah in mine too and I find it annoying for they go and get water so many times or they are mighty thirsty.

This sounds like Virtual Families 2 game to me. The repeated things your Sim keeps doing. For instance in that game if you can get a 'sim' stuck they run through a bunch of repeated things they were about to do. Such as get a drink, play in the toilet, get a drink, play in the toilet, get a drink etc. You can sit and watch it as a test, to see how many choices are in their bag..not many, so you will see them (while stuck) run throug the code, get a drink, play in toilet, nature call, get a drink, play in grass, etc. There's not much in there and I would bet there's not much in there for the Sim in this game to do either. It has a lot to do with coding and how little is put into their bag of choices. (It's my understanding this game isn't built on the attraction to object programming of old, so they run through a handful of things to do).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »
    I guess I am alone in thinking the pee walk is a cute detail :D

Especially since in TS2 they run to the nearest toilet when bladder goes critical.

This sounds like Virtual Families 2 game to me. The repeated things your Sim keeps doing. For instance in that game if you can get a 'sim' stuck they run through a bunch of repeated things they were about to do. Such as get a drink, play in the toilet, get a drink, play in the toilet, get a drink etc. You can sit and watch it as a test, to see how many choices are in their bag..not many, so you will see them (while stuck) run throug the code, get a drink, play in toilet, nature call, get a drink, play in grass, etc. There's not much in there and I would bet there's not much in there for the Sim in this game to do either. It has a lot to do with coding and how little is put into their bag of choices. (It's my understanding this game isn't built on the attraction to object programming of old, so they run through a handful of things to do).

What is Virtual Families 2? Never heard of that game.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    > @Oldeseadogge said:
    > Reksoh wrote: »
    >
    > I guess I am alone in thinking the pee walk is a cute detail :D
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Especially since in TS2 they run to the nearest toilet when bladder goes critical.

I think the "gotta pee" waddle they do is cute... with limits.
    It's part of the reason I always make sure my Sims have enough Fitness skill to unlock the "Jog Here" interaction, since that overwrites the slow waddle that low Bladder Sims do.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited November 2018
    Cupid wrote: »
    If an object doesn't work correctly players shouldn't have to use a mod or do a work around like I did (put food on floor or on table for toddlers) and the high chair should be removed from game. Nothing annoys a player more than a useless object.

Why is it better to delete something that isn't working properly rather than give people the option to simply not use it? I use the high chairs with my toddlers and to be honest they work fine for me, at least with the way I play. And without them, we wouldn't be able to take toddlers out to restaurants to eat.

Something that doesn't work for me would be the talking toilets, which seem to cancel out interactions every time a sim enters the bathroom. They've had this issue for two years now and to my knowledge it hasn't been fixed. I never use them because of it, but I wouldn't say they should just go and remove them because for all I know there are people out there who don't care about that or don't mind playing around the issue.

Wait... You can take Toddlers out to eat? What is this witchcraft you speak of O_o

DreamaDove wrote: »
    I have a mod so that the pee walk is reserved for kids. And yeah, it's cute.

I believe if it were left to just kids it would have been perfect... I think once they age up to adults it should work similar to the sims 2... they will literally run to the bathroom if its low enough lol I've been guilty of this myself in rl haha
    Sapphisims wrote: »
    I don't usually have an issue with this since I don't use the high chair, I just put food on a table for them and let them grab it and eat it on the floor. But I did have an issue just today where I took the parents out on a date and left the toddler in day care, and his needs had barely been solved even though it was set to have him take care of his needs. The day care did almost nothing to help him, and literally moments after the parents returned home, the toddler was whisked away by social services so I had to revert to an earlier save. I didn't even get a chance to feed him, but because of how useless the daycare was I was punished for it.

This is a known bug... Sadly I've experienced it and almost lost a toddler while my sim was at work at the hospital.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Jenny0729Jenny0729 Posts: 23 Member
    I age up my toddlers because I can't stand trying to take care of them constantly and meeting all of their needs plus the needs of any other children in the house.

It's an older game, it has two versions one for pc, No microtransactions, but on iPad there are microtransactions, and grinding. It's sort of a grind to get them enough money (through many generations) to finish their house as you care for them (like Sims) and buy things they need. Not as animated as The Sims, lol, like babies are stuck to parent for a couple of years. lol

http://virtualfamilies.com/virtual_families_2_our_dream_house.php

It's an older game, it has two versions one for pc, No microtransactions, but on iPad there are microtransactions, and grinding. It's sort of a grind to get them enough money (through many generations) to finish their house as you care for them (like Sims) and buy things they need. Not as animated as The Sims, lol, like babies are stuck to parent for a couple of years. lol

http://virtualfamilies.com/virtual_families_2_our_dream_house.php

Thank you, I never heard of that even back in the day. :)
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

The partial glasses of water everywhere makes me think of signs.

signs-2002-shyamalan-57.jpg

I guess they're preparing for an invasion.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    If an object doesn't work correctly players shouldn't have to use a mod or do a work around like I did (put food on floor or on table for toddlers) and the high chair should be removed from game. Nothing annoys a player more than a useless object.

You just hit the nail on the head. I completely agree Please take a standing ovation. *claps hands*
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    I have a mod so that the pee walk is reserved for kids. And yeah, it's cute.
    For toddlers it’s cute. For kids too. But it annoys me for sims older than that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Movotti wrote: »

The partial glasses of water everywhere makes me think of signs.

signs-2002-shyamalan-57.jpg

I guess they're preparing for an invasion.

One of my most favorite movies ever! Swing away.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I could not agree more with OP.

The player should not be punished when the game is making a task nearly impossible.

I have also had to deal with toddlers who were angry due to being hungry, but when I placed food for them in the high chair, they tossed it in anger. And then I get the threats, they will get taken away if I don't feed them soon. That is hardly fair.

Toddlers are too demanding in Sims 4 in my opinion. I resent playing with them :-/

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    The only toddler I have who insists on being taken out of her highchair is the one with the independent trait. As soon as she goes in, she's waving at her parents to let her out. My other toddlers will be hungry sometimes, but usually not extremely hungry when they go into the highchair. I usually have no problems with keeping them in there. My Sims will sometimes get the action to take them out, but I cancel it in the queue. I like the highchairs because I like my families to eat together at the table.

@Cupid I agree, maybe it's the way I play, but I don't have too many issues with the highchair.
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    I don't have any issues with the highchait if I order an adult to feed the toddler through clicking on the highchair. The adult will then prepare the food, place it on the chair an put the toddler in afterwards.
  • Dukemon11Dukemon11 Posts: 51 Member
    edited December 2018
    Gagea wrote: »
    I don't have any issues with the highchait if I order an adult to feed the toddler through clicking on the highchair. The adult will then prepare the food, place it on the chair an put the toddler in afterwards.

I guess, that "Give something to eat" is leading directly to the eating interaction by the toddler. During put toddler into highchair this thing will immediately wave to get out, again. It is difficult, when you want to play a Sim who wants to give the toddlers not only animal crackers or peas. On the highchair is a meal already, the toddler is put into the highchair, but the toddler (that is hungry) does not start the eat interaction by itself, because ...
  • SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    Highchairs shouldn't be removed from the game just because some people think they're buggy and don't like them. They mostly work for me, and I love using them. I would be very upset if one of my most frequently used objects got taken out of the game.
  • Dukemon11Dukemon11 Posts: 51 Member
    Basically my issue is that the Game is blaming the player. Although the AI does it very difficult to play the game.

And I am not saying to remove the highchairs, but they have to be recreated and the AI more controllable.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

It goes further than objects, though. Manually chosen interactions are constantly cancelled out with Sims choosing to do whatever they want, be it another action, or ignoring you entirely. My Sim will place his toddler in the high chair, have the toddler want to leave even though he’s hungry, and then my Sim is queued for that automatically. When I go to put him back in, it cancels out my command.

And it’s not only with the high chair. This happens frequently with virtually anything. It gets to the point where I’m feeling as if I have to fight against the game to try and play it. And that’s no fun, and exactly why I don’t stay in TS4 as long as I do TS2, which had very responsive Sims, able to follow a full queue of interactions with no lag or delay whatsoever.