Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Multiple Sims on Stairs.

Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
I know that programming allows only one sim to go down one set of stairs at a time, but question, if I put two stairs together side by side, can both sims use each stair individually? I need to have two sims on the stairs, having a conversation for a screenshot.
GYZ6Ak9.png
Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

Comments

• DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    they will both use the stairs, but they won't be talking nor will they stop halfway. Be sure to leave enough spare squares at the top, as in don't cover all available tiles with floor. That used to be a thing in Sims2 and is still a thing with Sims 3 most of the time, like many of the pre-built houses in Sims2 only left 4 squares uncovered at the top and the sims would complain that they can't get down them, a minimum of 6 squares ensured they didn't do that, and they would complain half the time if it was a single set of stairs, so I used to try to either have a double set or have a second single one at the other end of the hallway.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    I was thinking of linking two sets of stairs side-by-side and just deleting the middle railing. And I can freeze the sims as they're walking down to get the shots I need. They don't necessarily have to look like they're talking to insert dialogue in my story.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    I beleive it's 1 sim per stairs, so if you make them "double" you'll have the possibility of two sims ascending/descending.
    NymlADp.jpg
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    I was thinking of linking two sets of stairs side-by-side and just deleting the middle railing. And I can freeze the sims as they're walking down to get the shots I need. They don't necessarily have to look like they're talking to insert dialogue in my story.

If you make it a double-wide stairs, it won't have a railing in the middle anyway, so nothing to delete. As already mentioned, though, they won't stop in the middle to talk or do anything else.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I use double or even four sets of stairs in a lot of my houses. No inner rails, just outer rails or delete those and use walls. They will go down but not quite at the same time. One is usually a few steps ahead or behind. You can pause, move them side by side with MOO if you don't mind using it, and take your pics and then reset them with debug to stop them from glitching to the top of your world from moving them with MOO. :smiley:
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    it would be difficult to co-ordinate them to get them exactly side by side, one of them will wait for the other to start before choosing the other lane. Maybe if you got them to approach the stairs from opposite ends of the hallway, with the double stairs in the middle, they might each go for the lane closest to them. Otherwise you'd have to doctor the picture from two pictures - cut and paste from one picture onto the other.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.