August 22 - It's patch day for The Sims 4 on console! Read the patch notes here.
August 23 - Ready for the Friday Highlight? Check it out here!
August 15 - We have updated the forum rules. Learn more here.

Terrain Tool Functions Are Incomplete AND WHERE is the Water Tool?

SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 360 Member
edited November 2018 in The Sims 4 PC Game Feedback
So now that we can alter the terrain in our sim's world... WHY does the Paint Tool NOT work on the raised terrain???

WHY do we always get a "Glass is Half Full" type of addition whenever EA decides to grant us a feature that we as part of the Simming Community have asked for since the inception of Sims 4???

Perhaps the Paint Tool can be developed to paint on ALL the terrain whether it's raised or not in a future patch. This would make it a fully developed and logical tool addition to Sims 4.

Also need to add a Water Tool in a future patch so that we can have authentic streams and other water elements on our sim's home lots and parks, restaurants, etc.

Just once, it would be so nice to see EA produce and give us fully developed game aspects... is that too much to ask for after the majority of us have spent hundreds of $$$ on this game franchise over the last 18 years. Fini.
Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

INFJ -A/-T

Comments

  • TaoVegaLordTaoVegaLord Posts: 1 New Member
    Yea I was also wondering if they will end up letting us create natural ponds
  • atrainoratrainor Posts: 27 Member
    I really miss the water tool, too. And my terrain paint hasn't been working at all since installing Get Famous, but that's another issue.
  • defbelle87defbelle87 Posts: 84 Member
    SnowWolf58 wrote: »
    So now that we can alter the terrain in our sim's world... WHY does the Paint Tool NOT work on the raised terrain???

    WHY do we always get a "Glass is Half Full" type of addition whenever EA decides to grant us a feature that we as part of the Simming Community have asked for since the inception of Sims 4???

    Perhaps the Paint Tool can be developed to paint on ALL the terrain whether it's raised or not in a future patch. This would make it a fully developed and logical tool addition to Sims 4.

    Also need to add a Water Tool in a future patch so that we can have authentic streams and other water elements on our sim's home lots and parks, restaurants, etc.

    Just once, it would be so nice to see EA produce and give us fully developed game aspects... is that too much to ask for after the majority of us have spent hundreds of $$$ on this game franchise over the last 18 years. Fini.

    If you use a laptop to play Sims 4 & have LAPTOP MODE ON, TURN OFF LAPTOP MODE. It should work. I had the same issue not being able to use Terrain Paints. I went to SimGuruGrant's Twitter with this issue & someone else suggested that solution. Hopefully a fix for this issue will be released soon.
    Origin ID: Defbelle87
    Feel free to check out my creations in the Gallery, also follow me if you wish.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,272 Member
    edited November 2018
    atrainor wrote: »
    I really miss the water tool, too. And my terrain paint hasn't been working at all since installing Get Famous, but that's another issue.

    Why don't you update - terrain paints were fixed for laptops today as well as several other major bugs. They even fixed a CC bug - something I've never seen Maxis do. I don't use CC - but I thought that was mighty nice seeing they stepped out of that comfort zone for the CC users too. Good job Maxis -

    now about the number of lots in DSV.... how about turning our frowns upside down too as no matter how badly I want that pack I cannot buy it with just one affordable lot for my sims. It's not a gp.... You show tons of high rises in this world - how about making a couple of real, usable ones and removing the fake ones. It's not a movie - it's a game and I need homes for my characters not bountiful vistas to look at. This is after all Sims 4 the game, not Sims 4 the Movie.
  • SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 360 Member
    edited November 2018
    Thanks WritinReg for commenting on my post here. We've been at this for a very long time haven't we? I was Wolfstarz7 and known as Wolfie on the Sims 2 & 3 forums back in the day. I'm glad to see you're still here fighting the good fight along w/those of us who know how great this game series used to be AND still could be... if TPTB would actually listen to the Sims Series long time players/simmers.

    What a concept, huh? I agree w/you about the number of lots in this newest EP to Sims 4. Pretty pitiful and WHERE are the GROUP ACTIVITY things we've been asking for ad nauseum over the years? I have seen plenty of Celebrity Homes both in magazines and on TV that have POOL TABLES so they can have a party w/their friends and actually have some FUN!

    There are so many more group activity items we have been asking for and yet EA just continues to produce EP's like Get Famous w/small neighborhoods and hardly any NEW FUN content. It looks like we're probably going to have to wait for Sims 5 to see any real improvements that involve Sim Families & Friends being able to have FUN together!

    Nice to see you here again! <3
    Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

    INFJ -A/-T
  • Cyanide_MystCyanide_Myst Posts: 1 New Member
    You keep talking about updating your laptop... so where's the fill terrain water tool on the PC version?
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 409 Member
    Where is the round tool? Right, we don‘t have one.



  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 150 Member
    This feature will be probably ignored like many other features. 🙄
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 1,743 Member
    Our woes in this department likely stem from the original online version. In an online game your sim/player character merely interacts with the given world. No building is possible (as least in the ones I've been to) because the world must remain the same in order for the many players that come and go at any time to have the same gaming experience in terms of where they can go and what they find when they get there. Stability and continuity are first and foremost. Yes, the game is now offline, but the roots are still there and show in the paucity of lots, the massive amount of scenery, the still limited tools, and all the rest of it. The game, unfortunately, is Sims the movie by intent and design, interactive to be sure, but still just a movie. Real and meaningful change demands a new game engine on the order of a modern version of what we had before. That is not happening in TS4.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 150 Member
    edited July 10
    Our woes in this department likely stem from the original online version. In an online game your sim/player character merely interacts with the given world. No building is possible (as least in the ones I've been to) because the world must remain the same in order for the many players that come and go at any time to have the same gaming experience in terms of where they can go and what they find when they get there. Stability and continuity are first and foremost. Yes, the game is now offline, but the roots are still there and show in the paucity of lots, the massive amount of scenery, the still limited tools, and all the rest of it. The game, unfortunately, is Sims the movie by intent and design, interactive to be sure, but still just a movie. Real and meaningful change demands a new game engine on the order of a modern version of what we had before. That is not happening in TS4.

    I think most of the fans know that! I just can't understand why we are keeping with it. The Sims 4 shoud have died in the beginning. We as community accepted this terrible game and now we are stick with it and always complaining about something because this game will never be as good. If it was the second in the franshise it would be fine but we just can't pretend we aren't in 2019 and forget about both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 existence. More than EA or Maxis, we as fans have fault too. Boycott was what we should have been doing!
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,114 Member
    Yes, of all the Sims incarnations to decide to carry on for more than 4 years, this was totally not the one!
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,684 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Yes, of all the Sims incarnations to decide to carry on for more than 4 years, this was totally not the one!

    I thoroughly agree. Why, out of Sims 2 and 3, did they decide to make this one last the longest when they absolutely KNEW the foundation was specifically built for an online experience? What possible chance could it ever have had after being forced to change direction midway? It's such a compromise. How could it ever be satisfactory? I so hope they are working on putting it right with a game built on a solid foundation; I really do.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 6,960 Member
    Sucom wrote: »
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Yes, of all the Sims incarnations to decide to carry on for more than 4 years, this was totally not the one!

    I thoroughly agree. Why, out of Sims 2 and 3, did they decide to make this one last the longest when they absolutely KNEW the foundation was specifically built for an online experience? What possible chance could it ever have had after being forced to change direction midway? It's such a compromise. How could it ever be satisfactory? I so hope they are working on putting it right with a game built on a solid foundation; I really do.

    I'm sure you already know -- it's cheaper to do. They can discount The Sims 4, make it practically free, and entice more and more players to buy DLC through, you guessed it, more sales.

    But you are 100% right, this was not the base game to make last the longest. I mean, it does run better than TS3 does, but that doesn't say much. A solid base game should be stable as a given. But it should also have plenty of means to expand upon the core game experience, which I feel The Sims 4 lacks.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 1,743 Member
    So why are so many folks going ape over IL, even though much is broken and the pre launch patch broke a lot of what used to work? Why are they slobbering over the projected supernatural pack? Why no openly hostile response to a stuff pack based on a clothing line few, if any, simmers have even heard of? Why have we not long since drawn a line in the sand and refuse to buy more of their poo? I didn't get IL, and am not about to, have no interest in the supernatural pack, and negative interest in their loss of rationality stuff pack. Unless they clean up their act 2020 will see them getting fewer of my $ than 2019 did. Enough is enough, and the more of us that send the message maybe, just maybe, change may come.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,692 Member
    Anybody notice (well, it's hard to miss it) the sales that been put on packs. They're so high that seems they are struggling to have ends mean. I don't even know why they're trying to stretch it, when everything that's built on unstable foundation feel like will eventually collapse.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,269 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Sucom wrote: »
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Yes, of all the Sims incarnations to decide to carry on for more than 4 years, this was totally not the one!

    I thoroughly agree. Why, out of Sims 2 and 3, did they decide to make this one last the longest when they absolutely KNEW the foundation was specifically built for an online experience? What possible chance could it ever have had after being forced to change direction midway? It's such a compromise. How could it ever be satisfactory? I so hope they are working on putting it right with a game built on a solid foundation; I really do.

    I'm sure you already know -- it's cheaper to do. They can discount The Sims 4, make it practically free, and entice more and more players to buy DLC through, you guessed it, more sales.

    But you are 100% right, this was not the base game to make last the longest. I mean, it does run better than TS3 does, but that doesn't say much. A solid base game should be stable as a given. But it should also have plenty of means to expand upon the core game experience, which I feel The Sims 4 lacks.
    It does? I constantly see mention of new bugs, just like Sims 3. And Sims 3 runs totally ok when you play it on a good computer.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,272 Member
    SnowWolf58 wrote: »
    Thanks WritinReg for commenting on my post here. We've been at this for a very long time haven't we? I was Wolfstarz7 and known as Wolfie on the Sims 2 & 3 forums back in the day. I'm glad to see you're still here fighting the good fight along w/those of us who know how great this game series used to be AND still could be... if TPTB would actually listen to the Sims Series long time players/simmers.

    What a concept, huh? I agree w/you about the number of lots in this newest EP to Sims 4. Pretty pitiful and WHERE are the GROUP ACTIVITY things we've been asking for ad nauseum over the years? I have seen plenty of Celebrity Homes both in magazines and on TV that have POOL TABLES so they can have a party w/their friends and actually have some FUN!

    There are so many more group activity items we have been asking for and yet EA just continues to produce EP's like Get Famous w/small neighborhoods and hardly any NEW FUN content. It looks like we're probably going to have to wait for Sims 5 to see any real improvements that involve Sim Families & Friends being able to have FUN together!

    Nice to see you here again! <3

    Nice to see you too.
  • ChampagneBurstChampagneBurst Posts: 3 New Member
    So glad to stumble onto this thread and see other people expressing all my mega Sims 4 frustration - why oh why did they pick THIS version to go on for longer than any other? It's like they just ported a mobile game to PC without bothering to change it - I keep getting reminded of the sims mobile game from 2011- it has about the same amount of interesting things and customisation capability. I see the frequent huge discounts on origin too and keep remembering that tweet about how if Sims 4 isn't successful enough there will be no Sims 5 - so it's like "we converted a failed online game to the latest Sims, released overpriced packs with 1/6 of the content of sims 3 packs with zero gameplay switch ups,made sure they were as boring as possible (seriously, who in their right mind buys a whole pack for doing laundry??? its boring enough in real life why tf would I want to use my escapism on doing pixel laundry??!!?) extracted all the fun stuff like open worlds with huge lots, group activities, water tools, new supernatural with each pack, CAP, CAW and colour customisation etc but if you don't spend enough money on it we will never give you anything better". Ta heaps for my decades of franchise loyalty EA, you cheap [email protected]
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top