Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we please get the LOL button back?

I really loved this button. Why take it away? It was absolutely harmless.
keep on keepin' on

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,278 Member
    I'm going to put this link here as this is asking for the lol button back and the reasons given on why it was taken away to bring with.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/940837/its-time-to-bring-in-more-reaction-options-like-lol-agree-and-disagree/p1
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/856964/lol-and-disagree-buttons#latest

I will say that when we had the "lol" button, it got misused by some members that thought certain posts/comments were funny when they weren't funny to begin with. So the management team took it away.
  • ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    I'm going to put this link here as this is asking for the lol button back and the reasons given on why it was taken away to bring with.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/940837/its-time-to-bring-in-more-reaction-options-like-lol-agree-and-disagree/p1
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/856964/lol-and-disagree-buttons#latest

I will say that when we had the "lol" button, it got misused by some members that thought certain posts/comments were funny when they weren't funny to begin with. So the management team took it away.

Okay but everyone finds different things funny though? So someone might not think it’s funny while another person may.
    keep on keepin' on
    ceyric wrote: »

Okay but everyone finds different things funny though? So someone might not think it’s funny while another person may.

Thing is, when someone posts about having a bad day or that someone that they knew died or is very sick, some people find that stuff funny. And that's exactly what happened when someone posted about their dad dying of brain cancer, some members hit the "lol" button as they thought that was funny. The member that posted that was only trying to bring awareness on their page about brain cancer in hopes that it can save someone else'e life and some members just thought it was funny probably because they didn't like that member at all. Granted that this site isn't the place to talk about such things and all but people do as they find comfort talking to strangers about such things. And when someone sees that another member has had a bad day or that something bad has happened in that member's life, some members end up thinking that it's funny that this had happened to that member.

Don't get wrong, but there have been plenty of times when I wish we did have the "lol" button back but not if it's going to be abused/misused again. And if that should happen, we could end up losing the button yet again.

Some members have even suggesting having it to where we can see who hit the buttons claiming that it would take care of the internet trolls abusing the "lol" button but that won't stop it as they will continue to abuse/misuse the button as well as having members attacking other members over it. And it's been known to do that when the site had a glitch that had allowed some members to see who hit what buttons, so the EA forum moderators had said no to allowing us to see who hit what as they are trying to keep the site safe for all to use.

Thing is, when someone posts about having a bad day or that someone that they knew died or is very sick, some people find that stuff funny. And that's exactly what happened when someone posted about their dad dying of brain cancer, some members hit the "lol" button as they thought that was funny. The member that posted that was only trying to bring awareness on their page about brain cancer in hopes that it can save someone else'e life and some members just thought it was funny probably because they didn't like that member at all. Granted that this site isn't the place to talk about such things and all but people do as they find comfort talking to strangers about such things. And when someone sees that another member has had a bad day or that something bad has happened in that member's life, some members end up thinking that it's funny that this had happened to that member.

Don't get wrong, but there have been plenty of times when I wish we did have the "lol" button back but not if it's going to be abused/misused again. And if that should happen, we could end up losing the button yet again.

Some members have even suggesting having it to where we can see who hit the buttons claiming that it would take care of the internet trolls abusing the "lol" button but that won't stop it as they will continue to abuse/misuse the button as well as having members attacking other members over it. And it's been known to do that when the site had a glitch that had allowed some members to see who hit what buttons, so the EA forum moderators had said no to allowing us to see who hit what as they are trying to keep the site safe for all to use.

Yeah, you do have a point there. Personally I never abused it but that situation you described sounds disgusting. Ah well, it was nice while it lasted.
    keep on keepin' on
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member

What on earth?!!! What a sick thing to do.
    edited November 2018
    Here’s a thought: Maybe they could bring the LOL button back, but when making a post you can choose whether or not to enable the LOL button on that particular post? It could be default off for all posts.
    Here’s a thought: Maybe they could bring the LOL button back, but when making a post you can choose whether or not to enable the LOL button on that particular post? It could be default off for all posts.

This is a great idea!
    keep on keepin' on
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

Now that actually sounds like a workable solution. I wish the Powers That Be would consider it, but seeing as they've brought the button back more than once... I don't think we're getting another chance. There was even a poll way back when, to see if simmers wanted it back after it was removed. It was brought back again until it was determined that some just weren't mature enough to handle it.
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member

Brilliant! I miss my LOL button so so so much.
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • KAALRATRIKAALRATRI Posts: 20 Member
    never seen it
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    KAALRATRI wrote: »
    never seen it

It's from a few years ago. :smiley: I believe it was in the "Awesome" button's spot. I can't remember now. lol
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • singingbeast44singingbeast44 Posts: 4 New Member
    What is the LOL button??
    What is the LOL button??

@singingbeast44, it was to to let others know that their post made them laugh out loud but got misused/abused, so it got taken away.
  • EA_DavidEA_David Posts: 282 EA Community Manager

We'll have a look into whether this is possible, it's a good idea.
    EA_David wrote: »

Did I just potentially become the LOL button saviour? :D
    EA_David wrote: »

Well if we get this back, the people need to use it the proper way and not as a way to make fun of someone's bad situation or death like it was in the past.

Even though it would be a good idea and I would like to see it back but not if it's going to be abused/misused again as it probably will again.

@lilasc360 they were proposing looking in to reintroducing it on the terms I suggested in the quote above which shold hopefully prevent misuse.

@lilasc360 they were proposing looking in to reintroducing it on the terms I suggested in the quote above which shold hopefully prevent misuse.

It may not easy as you think it's going to be. And no, I'm not thinking negative, I'm just being realistic on this just in case they come back and say that it's not doable.
    edited November 2018

It may not easy as you think it's going to be. And no, I'm not thinking negative, I'm just being realistic on this just in case they come back and say that it's not doable.
    I don’t think you are being negative! It’s entirely possible (even likely) that they won’t be able to implement this. But if they can, it should prevent abuse.

I don’t think you are being negative! It’s entirely possible (even likely) that they won’t be able to implement this. But if they can, it should prevent abuse.

@MaggieMarley, Thank you, I wasn't too sure if I was sounding negative about it or not as I've been accused in the past for being a "Negative Nancy" by some forum members when they didn't like my post. It's the last thing that I would want to be, a "Negative Nancy".
    edited November 2018

@MaggieMarley, Thank you, I wasn't too sure if I was sounding negative about it or not as I've been accused in the past for being a "Negative Nancy" by some forum members when they didn't like my post. It's the last thing that I would want to be, a "Negative Nancy".
    @lisasc360 thinking sensibly is never a bad thing, and certainly not the same as negative. Don’t worry, I never took you as being pessimistic (and even if I did, I’d be a hypocrite to point it out as I have a terrible habit of being a glass half empty person myself!)

@lisasc360 thinking sensibly is never a bad thing, and certainly not the same as negative. Don’t worry, I never took you as being pessimistic (and even if I did, I’d be a hypocrite to point it out as I have a terrible habit of being a glass half empty person myself!)

@MaggieMarley, thank you again... :) I like to see myself as someone that's on the fence about a lot things. I like to think of the pros and cons of certain situations and see what out weights the other and such like that... :)
  • unmogunmog Posts: 54 Member
    LOL... people abusing a laughing button. Yup, I wasn't even here back then but wouldn't surprise me if people basically used it as a troll button. Still a silly reason to take it away. I do think they need more than the three I see currently tho, for instance Like and Awesome are basically the same thing, you could just say Awesome is a greater form of Like. Would make more sense to have a dislike button, but then that might be considered "negative" feedback or get abused too and god forbid that, am I right?

One would think a game like the Sims mostly Adults play, and thus would have a more mature forum. But hey, its the internet, and I have aspergers.

I do think needing to get 25 "points" from likes and so on tho is a bit too much just to be able to do simple things like make a topic or edit a typo and so on tho... and seeing people talk about abusing a LOL button makes my heart sink about how long that would actually take. 10 points would seem more fair.
    moogle-gif-3.gif
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    unmog wrote: »
    LOL... people abusing a laughing button. Yup, I wasn't even here back then but wouldn't surprise me if people basically used it as a troll button. Still a silly reason to take it away. I do think they need more than the three I see currently tho, for instance Like and Awesome are basically the same thing, you could just say Awesome is a greater form of Like. Would make more sense to have a dislike button, but then that might be considered "negative" feedback or get abused too and god forbid that, am I right?

One would think a game like the Sims mostly Adults play, and thus would have a more mature forum. But hey, its the internet, and I have aspergers.

I do think needing to get 25 "points" from likes and so on tho is a bit too much just to be able to do simple things like make a topic or edit a typo and so on tho... and seeing people talk about abusing a LOL button makes my heart sink about how long that would actually take. 10 points would seem more fair.

You'd be surprised. Sims is a series that parents may not be too afraid to let their kids play because it's not a game where the main objective is to go around and shoot people. There are a number of adults that do play that have been around since Sims 1 or Sims 2 days or got interested after seeing their kids play it.

As for the points, let's just say at one point the trolls were posting X rated things on the site and while it is frustrating, if it's too easy to become a member those trolls will just return. It was initially 50 points, but they reduced it to 25 after some passed (wanted it high enough initially to make sure the trolls currently spamming got bored trying to get the points needed to spam. Or would find it too tedious to even try in the first place.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2018
    @unmog - I have to say that I remain disappointed in our not having an LOL button here any longer, but totally understand the motivation behind its removal and why it is not likely to return.

But as a moderator of a much less busy forum than this one, I am puzzled by the implied request for a Dislike button. Disagree is one thing and its benefits vs. downsides here were also debatable, but if someone "Dislikes" a post then allowing them to merely click a button without saying why imparts no useful information to the one who posted it or any of its readers. And, in fact, one of the reasons we no longer have Disagree (or Zagadoo as it briefly returned as) is that members kept referring to those reactions as Dislikes even when that is not how they were intended -- as in, I can politely disagree with what someone is saying without expressing an opinion as to how likable the post is or how much I might have enjoyed reading it.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top