Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I cannot make my game stable with cc.

SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
Hello my fellow sims 2 fans.

I write this conversation. I cannot use the sims 2 anymore for creating interior designing and that plumb me off a lot. I don't play with the sims but I enjoy creating with this game, because it's relaxing and I love the cc for.

But at the moment, I uninstalled my sims 2 game. I cannot make it stable anymore. I did everything possible . I cleaned the red highlight cc with sims2clean installer, I deleted all the GUID conflicts items that appears on SimPE, I found and cleaned two pieces of decorations that makes the game crashes, I installed CEP (that I got troubles to use it with windows 10), and the Scriptorium for the cc that needs them. I also cleaned the name of the cc with ReNamer to delete the symbols in the file names . no-thing
It was always randomly crashed when I selected any catalogs. I know I too much cc amount in my game but that's not a reason. I mean on other forums people got tons of cc they can use the game.

I do not get the UC.

Please help me it's weird to say goodbye to an old friend.
Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Why not reinstall (if you have the discs) and try it without custom content. You have to be careful whose custom content you use. I've never used GUID conflicts or SimPE to clean up my game. Ever, no need in it, but then it has a lot to do with whose custom content I used and how I used it, I guess. Some of the game won't work correctly anymore if you just start deleting mods and custom content. Rule of thumb, remove those modded items from a lot before using any tool to remove them from game.

Not sure I would be able to help you other than you can reset the EA games folder by one either deleting it or dragging to desktop and reloading game (if you had not uninstalled) and start fresh when it's that messed up. But since you have uninstalled you may have to look to tutorials of how to make TS2 work with Windows 10 (install properly) now.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited November 2018
    @Cinebar :I never had the heart to play vanilla because I don't like the poverty of the choice and the ugly sims that's the same feelings with the sims 3 and the sims 4 as well. To me it's not possible to play with absolutely nothing.

The GUID scan is useful to check it out if you got duplicates.

For the tutorial to run it with windows 10, I followed them as I got windows 10 since Summer 2017 it's been a long time ago I cared. The game ran of course, there is no problems with this but I just don't understand why the sims 2 ever run with cc even with vista 32 bits whereas a lot of players shares houses with cc without problems.
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    edited November 2018
    I'm sorry you can't run your TS2 with cc and mods. I have over 13GB of cc and mods, so I have no idea why you have had so much trouble. I have never had to use any (never had any guid conflicts, ever), of those tools you have used to clean out anything. And I have many extracted things from many type different games. Honestly I can't help here. I have no idea what the problem would be other than pc specs, conflicts, removing things that maybe shouldn't have been removed and or Windows 10. I'm sorry, hope you get it worked out or start all over and add in newly downloaded cc and mods and test them a few at a time. That is my best advice.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited November 2018
    @Cinebar : I probably will try an other day when I feel ready. I have in total 12.3 Gb of data for the sole furniture files. That includes the recolours and the building items. I understand why everybody says goodbye to this game and the gurus stopped to share the UC, because it's the most instable game ever made. That's so sad.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    @Cinebar : I probably will try an other day when I feel ready. I have in total 12.3 Gb of data for the sole furniture files. That includes the recolours and the building items. I understand why everybody says goodbye to this game and the gurus stopped to share the UC, because it's the most instable game ever made. That's so sad.

I've found it to be the most stable between Sims 2 and Sims 3. I haven't played Sims 4 long enough to know stable or not it is. I can't tell you why half of my files in Sims 3 go belly up. I can point that out for Sims 2 files that go bad most of the time. If the game is so unstable that no one can pinpoint what causes saves to go belly up, is it really stable? Sims 3 I found I have to play with mods in order to play the game at all with any chance of the save lasting more than a generation or two. Sims 2 I can play without mods and not have any problems and I know I won't have any problems within 10 generations unless I do specific things.

And just to say I like Sims 2 and Sims 3 almost equally, so I'm not just someone who hates Sims 3.

The first step in troubleshooting any of the games is to play mod and CC free. Even if you don't normally play without CC or mods. Then you put your CC & mods back in using the 50/50 method if your game plays like it should. And given your amount of CC, I would not stop once you find just one bad file.

So I highly suggest if you want to play Sims 2 more that you do Cinebar's suggestion and load up and see if you can play for a decent amount of time without experiencing any of the issues you found without the mods and CC installed.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Instability hasn't been my experience with TS2 at all. I've found it to be the complete opposite, personally. I keep my TS3 CC to a bare minimum because the game runs terribly when it is overloaded with custom content. TS2 on the other hand, apart from taking a little while to load, doesn't seem to suffer any stress at all from the large amount of stuff I cram into it.

It sounds more like you possibly have some kinds of conflict somewhere, and could try using Hack Conflict Detection Utility which you can download from LeeFish's site, and run it. It will tell you if there are any conflicting items within your CC.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    edited November 2018
    @Seera1024 I play the sims 3 and with the cc I can play and I am using the HD mod too. I got no problems. I barely have problems of crashes except of course the creators who made them horrible in cas.
    In the sims 2 it's not possible at all to even create a house with cc. It is always crashes, crashes and crashes sometimes it crashes when I enter an empty maxis lot to tell you. I did the 50/50 method, I found two bad cc in the misc decoration catalog. I have been so happy because I thought my nightmare was over. Nope, once again, the tv and computer crashes, and so others and others. >:)
    So matter of stability.. sims 2 is lame !
    And matter of loading with cc it lames too it takes more than an hour and it's slow. But this game does not use a lot of ram half a 1Gb to tell (the sims 4 itself without cc takes easy 2GB)
    I am not a sims 2 hater, it's still one of my favourite equally with the sims 3 and I love creating with it. I am just a angry I am bitter and a bit jealous of people who can enjoy creating fabulous houses without crashes.

Sims 2 is the most amazing game to decorate house, it's my favourite activity here I even don't play anymore such I am always with new ideas of houses.

The 50/50 methods sometimes does not help . I surely got something wrong as @Pary said , I might have something that conflicts so hard with my game because it's not normal at all I feel this.
    The game runs without cc but that's not my cup of tea anyways. I just can't play.

@Pary : thank you very much for the insight, I'll download it.
    edited November 2018
    Saying the TS2 is lame just because you have some bad custom content is a little bit extreme, and saying it's impossible to build houses with cc is also extreme. I know you are frustrated, but hey, you downloaded the stuff, and it's up to you to read all the creator notes, find out if you are missing a SP or EP for it to work correctly or if they said it would conflict with anything else, and or if it was never updated for later EPs or SPs. Best Advice, add in cc one or two things at a time when it's that bad.

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    @Seera1024 I play the sims 3 and with the cc I can play and I am using the HD mod too. I got no problems. I barely have problems of crashes except of course the creators who made them horrible in cas.
    In the sims 2 it's not possible at all to even create a house with cc. It is always crashes, crashes and crashes sometimes it crashes when I enter an empty maxis lot to tell you. I did the 50/50 method, I found two bad cc in the misc decoration catalog. I have been so happy because I thought my nightmare was over. Nope, once again, the tv and computer crashes, and so others and others. >:)
    So matter of stability.. sims 2 is lame !
    And matter of loading with cc it lames too it takes more than an hour and it's slow. But this game does not use a lot of ram half a 1Gb to tell (the sims 4 itself without cc takes easy 2GB)
    I am not a sims 2 hater, it's still one of my favourite equally with the sims 3 and I love creating with it. I am just a angry I am bitter and a bit jealous of people who can enjoy creating fabulous houses without crashes.

Sims 2 is the most amazing game to decorate house, it's my favourite activity here I even don't play anymore such I am always with new ideas of houses.

The 50/50 methods sometimes does not help . I surely got something wrong as @Pary said , I might have something that conflicts so hard with my game because it's not normal at all I feel this.
    The game runs without cc but that's not my cup of tea anyways. I just can't play.

@Pary : thank you very much for the insight, I'll download it.

And I've got over 6 GB of CC in my Sims 2 game so Sims 2 takes CC. I've got 150+ Sims decked out in CC proving that the game allows for CC. I've got CC objects and CC floors and CC walls. Sims 2 has no issue with CC. I like very few Maxis hairs so I've got defaults for as many hairs as possible.

The 50/50 method does help. The more CC you have the more likely that you have more than one piece of bad CC. So if you just stop after you find the first bad file and then add everything back in, you may still end up with issues. Especially if you've gone in and deleted duplicates. You may have deleted files that other CC files that did not have duplicates rely on in order to work properly.

I know there are CC stairs that require you to have one version in your game for the others to work. I'd imagine there are other pieces of CC furniture that are like that.

If the hack conflict detector doesn't find anything you've got a few choices:

1. Stop trying to find whatever piece of CC that's causing the issues and stop playing the game.
    2. Stop trying to find whatever piece of CC that's causing the issues and start the CC collecting over from scratch being more careful with what is downloaded to avoid problems in the first place.
    3. Do the 50/50 method to try to find the problematic CC items. Yes this is tedious to do it properly.

Personally with the amount of CC you have, it may be best to just do #2 and start fresh. Sims 2 CC does still exist out there.

But to do #1 without even trying #2 is not something I would suggest as I could understand with having as much CC as you do that doing #3 is just not worth it if you don't even know if your conflict is in build or buy or CAS items.

And what do you mean by tv crashing?

• ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited November 2018
    It can often end up being something so small and insignificant that it really is helpful to try playing for a test run for an hour or so with no CC. Then adding a few items, and a few more. I try less than the 50 / 50 method, but that is just me.

A few years ago I also was angry and frustrated with the game because whenever I went to a community lot, my game would crash after three or four minutes. You could almost set your watch by it. I took out all my CC to play for a while and it stopped. I added back bits at a time, played with no issues, took that lot out, and added another group to test, and so on, and found that nothing was giving me issues. But when I put it all back in together, it started happening again.

It turned out, that it was custom foods that were crashing my game, and I suspect that it was the unlocked Bon Voyage food mod, that enables you to make BV food at home, that was doing it, when NPC Sims tried to order food at community lots. No one else seemed to be having this problem, just me. To this day, I still can't use custom foods in my game because my community lots crash. I don't know why my game hates them, it just does. When I took my food mods out ( and I only had about 4 ) the crashing stopped.

I have just accepted that it can sometimes just be an individual install problem, alongside other CC components you have installed. You just have to go the hard yard, and find out what works best for your own game by testing everything. Don't overfill your game with CC, be discerning about what you download. Always read the comments on downloads to see if anyone has ever had issues in their game from using what you want to download. If they have, I avoid it, but again, that is just me.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    edited November 2018
    It's also important to make sure you have all the files for any particular piece of custom content. Such as many more complicated cc requires master parts, and slaved to different parts. Some things don't work correctly and are slaved to a master, without the master files or object in game you may crash or some things not show up at all. That's why it takes time to remember creator notes. And why it's important to not go deleting and removing cc all willy nilly. Even if you do see a duplicate. It's also important to know the creator's work, and make sure they never name their meshes the same thing causing GUID conflicts. It's also important if you are using a lot of decor and building material you have downloaded that you rememeber if a fence is really a fence or just recolored decor to look like fences, or if columns are really columns or just retextured decor from a painting or something. Or if OSMPs also are invisible and may cause the builder problems if they don't remember they are invisible with some of those. Considering you said you don't play but build then I would start with all my building materials and all my decor items and pay no mind to clothes and hair since you are not actually playing.

ETA: Rules to Remember, don't try to use lots that were built while a SP was installed that is no longer installed, game crashes.

Don't delete cc from game if that object or decor is still on a lot, delete/sell it from the lot first or the lot may never reload or crash.
    I've been thinking about this problem some more. I have never had to check for GUID conflicts. But aware there are some conflicts some times. However, in these tutorials it states you wouldn't check for them unless an object has gone missing from the buy or build catelog. Or if the Maxis object is in there but can't be picked or bought to use. And some cc objects are duplicates on purpose and you wouldn't want to remove the red/or duplicate guid.

Hope this helps someone in the future so they can figure out if they should even remove cc guid conflicts if they aren't causing a crash by a missing Maxis object or an unbuyable object.

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:GUID_Conflicts