Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 player numbers

2...Next

Comments

• McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    yeah, not to mention steam is only a minority of players. i mean sims 3 came out back in the days we used CDs. I have Sims 3 all on CD (or DVDs whatever) and I also later bought them all on Steam too (dunno why, it was on sale and couldn't resist), but since then I registered my Steam copies on Origin and now play through Origin which won't show on Steam numbers.
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    I used to play Sims 3 on a super crappy Dell. Anytime my sims would use a laptop, the game would have these huge rainbow things sticking out of their house.

But I worked around it. Eventually, I upgraded to a laptop that was just as crappy as that Dell I had and I would get crashes.

Finally, I invested over 1k into a gaming laptop to be able to play the Sims 3 and other games I had been missing out on.

I did have some issues with my Nvidia card and 3.. It was running at 500 FPS!! BUT, I figured it out. I spent a couple of hours getting the game to run properly on my laptop and now I rarely ever have a problem.. And most of it is related to bad cc.

I bought Sims 4 when it came out and a few of the packs. I really did try to like it.. But it's just not the game for me. And players of 4 are always talking crap about 3.. Even though just as many players have problems running 4 as 3 did. Every other post on reddit is someone having problems with their game, yet 3 is a "boring laggy mess" according to them.

Then when I tell them that I don't have issues with 3, I get called a liar. Yes, I actually get called a liar, lmao.
    And it's like.. I'm sorry you can't use Google to find some basic fixes to run 3.. But that doesn't make 4 better. It just means you're lazy.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Jemkatk wrote: »
    Then when I tell them that I don't have issues with 3, I get called a liar. Yes, I actually get called a liar, lmao.
    And it's like.. I'm sorry you can't use Google to find some basic fixes to run 3.. But that doesn't make 4 better. It just means you're lazy.

Yes, I've seen this happen to other people too. Even around here. It's like people simply refuse to believe that you can get TS3 running in a decent fashion. It's as if they just want to believe that it runs like garbage for everyone all the time, and wont be deterred from that line of thinking.

Also, the rest of your post is what I was trying to illustrate in part of mine. Someone who took the time to go and learn and figure out how to make the game run, instead of discarding it into the "too hard" basket. That's awesome :)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    Pary wrote: »

Yes, I've seen this happen to other people too. Even around here. It's like people simply refuse to believe that you can get TS3 running in a decent fashion. It's as if they just want to believe that it runs like garbage for everyone all the time, and wont be deterred from that line of thinking.

Also, the rest of your post is what I was trying to illustrate in part of mine. Someone who took the time to go and learn and figure out how to make the game run, instead of discarding it into the "too hard" basket. That's awesome :)

@Pary, @Jemkatk, I think that we hardcore simmers (most of the ones who make up the group here in the Sims 3 forums), will do whatever it takes to keep OUR game running. Every time I've had a lag or something go wrong in my game, I do take the time to go "figure it out"...but everyone has a different personality and some are more impatient with frustrations than others. I guess, it's just "Different strokes for different folks". ;)

Oh, I'd love to get off this APU and add on a GTX 1070 or whatever awesome hardware is down the pipeline and maybe even add 16GB or even 32GB of RAM or so (not that TS3 can use it anyways, but still, at least then I'd be able to run some of the more resource-critical software alongside it like a decent video-capture program and I can use it in my RL photography/video editing (doing it professionally) down the line. But there are other things that have to be done, but I'll do whatever I can to keep my game running in the meantime and so far, my desktop (thank god, I'm off that laptop) is doing just fine.

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member

I've come across lots of people online who call me or other people liars because they don't like what we said. And you're absolutely right, those people, regardless of the topic at hand, are lazy.

• TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    Ya I don't have any issues running the Sims 3 anymore, sure it sucked trying to get it to run nicely at times a couple years ago but turns out a better computer does help. As well setting up the right mods and in-game options.

Still there are people who just want to hate on the Sims 3.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2018

@Pary, @Jemkatk, I think that we hardcore simmers (most of the ones who make up the group here in the Sims 3 forums), will do whatever it takes to keep OUR game running. Every time I've had a lag or something go wrong in my game, I do take the time to go "figure it out"...but everyone has a different personality and some are more impatient with frustrations than others. I guess, it's just "Different strokes for different folks". ;)

Oh, I'd love to get off this APU and add on a GTX 1070 or whatever awesome hardware is down the pipeline and maybe even add 16GB or even 32GB of RAM or so (not that TS3 can use it anyways, but still, at least then I'd be able to run some of the more resource-critical software alongside it like a decent video-capture program and I can use it in my RL photography/video editing (doing it professionally) down the line. But there are other things that have to be done, but I'll do whatever I can to keep my game running in the meantime and so far, my desktop (thank god, I'm off that laptop) is doing just fine.
    Yes, exactly. I never had lag, I did have bugs, but that has never made me rage quit, quite the contrary. I wouldn’t rest till it was fixed (sometimes stayed up till 4 in the morning because I was fighting one like a pitbull)(ok, lol, I often stayed up till 4 in the morning in the glory days :D ). And ever since more mods and CC made my game a bit more sensitive I’ve learned to clean my cache files first. I don’t mind doing that. Small effort with a big result ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Yes, exactly. I never had lag, I did have bugs, but that has never made me rage quit, quite the contrary. I wouldn’t rest till it was fixed (sometimes stayed up till 4 in the morning because I was fighting one like a pitbull)(ok, lol, I often stayed up till 4 in the morning in the glory days :D ). And ever since more mods and CC made my game a bit more sensitive I’ve learned to clean my cache files first. I don’t mind doing that. Small effort with a big result ;)

Absolutely!! I've spent hours before tracking down bad CC or trying to figure out a lag situation or whatever. Because you don't toss out the baby with the bathwater!
  • GhostsGhosts Posts: 7 New Member
    Although I prefer sims 3, I occasionally replay some of my old save files every now and then.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I do not have any problems with sims 3. Have not had any lag in a long time. I believe it is what world you are playing in. Now in Sunlit Tide I had some lag, due to the fact that a dog kept getting stuck in one of the parks, as soon as I fixed it so they could not get stuck anymore, it quit the lag. I do not have any cc or mods, and most of the time if it lags, I start looking in the world for someone or pet stuck and can quickly fix it so there is no more lag. either remake the lot or delete it and replace it with another one. Once I fix the lot, I save the world as a rename, so I do not have to do it again. My computer plays very well with sims 3 and 4, but I do not play much with 4, I have tired to like it, but just can't get through even one generation. I am not sure what it is. Well one thing I cannot delete the school and I do not send my kids to school, takes up to much of their time and cannot play with them much, and I still can't seem to get my head around the teens as they seem like college kids. to prove that. In sims 3 a teen cannot live alone, unless the adult dies. now in sims 4 a teen can live alone and that is because they are college age or going from 10 yrs old to 18 so that is why they can live alone. I do like sims 3 the best. I have been trying my best to like sims 4, but it is just not happening, another thing is that in sims 4 it seem that EA wants you to play their way, hard to change things your own way, like the monster under the bed things, even with the light sometimes the kids can't sleep. I better not go on, it is not nice to keep talking bad about a game, as some do like it. ;) As far as sims 3 I love it.
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    I rarely play online because it lags my game. I've been thinking about purchasing the game on Steam just to have an extra copy. The only problem is that it's too expensive to be bought at once (even on sale). I own most Stuff Packs and all Expansions on DVD and I started collecting them in 2014 or so.
  • rockhunterrockhunter Posts: 1 New Member
    There are likely a lot more than realised. Me for instance. Anti-playing while logged in online, but have been playing since a year after sims 3 released. Took a year to start due to being a Sims2 fan very disappointed with the initial release of Sims3. As to the bugs, I suffered my share like many. Error code 12 drove me nuts until i went from a 4gb ram to an 8gb ram system with 64 bit processor years back. Never saw that save game error again, or any other major bugs for that matter.
    Just installed game on a "powerhouse" system that should allow me to play all expansion packs available with ease. Just need to buy the remaining ones i dont have.

By the way.

HI FOLKS
  • jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    Well, I would be the liar if I said I never had any problems with Sims 3. But I love the game and all it can do so much, I just can't "ragequit". Especially when I know that sometimes it is my fault the game quit on me.
    I don't save as often as I should and I overwork the build mode. I know the game is getting tired when the build mode starts getting wonky and I should save and quit - but I don't! I am caught up in my building madness!
    So I've learned to be very philosophical about the game shutting down - and to try hard not to bring it to the breaking point and to save, save, save!
    I've also discovered that sometimes just quitting and restarting the game helps to keep it from going over the edge and cuts down on lag. And I always clear out the caches. I've managed to keep some very good games going over the last 3 years with very little trouble.

Isn't it amazing that a game that is essentially 19 years old still has such a following? I still occasionally play Sims 1, play Sims 2 quite a lot, am absolutely hooked on Sims 3, and have found quite a bit to enjoy about 4. Thank you Will Wright for such a great idea!
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    I'd be really curious to know the player numbers for the Sims 3, because I suspect is larger then anybody suspects.

For example, I've noticed on Steam the Sims 3 maintains a constant average between 4000-7000 players DAILY. That might not seem like a lot, but considering steam has over like a million games and the Sims 3 has always been on its top 100 played games DAILY - that is huge. Especially when you have new AAA released games that barely make it on the list for more a then a month.

I personally play the Sims 3 via my CD install, but I'm sure a lot of people play it via origin digital install too (maybe 70/30?) since I suspect most Sims 3 players probably bought the game before origin was origin.

So based on steam alone, at the very least I'd suspect Sims 3 has probably 10K daily players - thats a lot of people playing a game that is nearly 10 years old! And pretty cool.

Personally, especially with the right mods (visual and gameplay) I simple enjoy the Sims 3 more, especially as a story teller.

Its too bad the Sims team/EA didn't manage a small Sims 3 team to keep supporting the game as a legacy title.

I'm sorry OP that I missed this debate back in November. I have been wondering for sometime how many of us are playing the game through a disk install. I suspect it may be more than any of us imagine but there is no way to quantify the numbers. A lot of disk players including me refuse to log on any more while playing.

I suppose we could try this way. I read somewhere that TS3 was the best selling pc sims game to date. Given that a large number of players started when disk installations were the norm then it is not unreasonable to suppose a fair number still prefer to continue playing this way. We are after all creatures of habit and TS3 does attract some very loyal players. It is a well known fact TS3 also attracts the more mature players who are not so keen to embrace new technology. That is not meant as a criticism but is based on personal observation. When you put all that together then we could be talking sizeable numbers playing regularly still.

It is a pity no one appears to have a handle on the numbers still playing, both through install and digitally. Not only would it strengthen the case for the company to provide continuing support for the game but it would also act as a indicator as to what in a sims game attracts and keeps players totally engaged in the game. As you say not bad for a game that is nearly ten years old.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    No problems on my side - and my game is heavily modded, the whole store and a lot, really a lot, of CC. What impresses me since a few months back, is the incredible creativity the TS2 community shows off! I played TS2 without CC, but now I am often checking out the creators at MTS and I marvel over how much CC still is made! It's a pity TS4 players mostly don't want to mix with us TS2 and TS3 players. But I'm not one to beg, I perfectly happy on this forum where I have "met" so many fantastic people! <3
    NymlADp.jpg
  • SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    I never play online. I haven't logged into the game for like years. I just don't really see a point and it might slow my game. I've also just ordered an ssd and hopefully will get it installed by the end of this week for even smoother simming! I think there are a lot of simmers like us who just can't get enough :p . But I think the issue is that most ts3 players are quieter and don't share as much on forums or other sites about their games.
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    *drool* Oh how I would love an SSD! I priced them at Best Buy - gonna be waitin' for a while. Hope your game is awesome now!
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    I bought a 240gb kingston one. It was $50, the cheapest I could find on amazon. But now it has arrived and I'm so lazy to install it :D I can't find another SATA cable and it's so annoying. And I'd have to install my sims 3 game all over again too.
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • PholliePhollie Posts: 20 Member
    I'm still playing and I've written a challenge, how do I get people to play it?
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top