Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAW Question

EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
Do you put the roads down first or the lots down first and then make the roads go to the lots. If you put the road first how do you know how far apart to place lots. Sorry if this is a dumb question

Comments

• fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    edited November 2018
    Not a dumb question at all :) creating a world does seem overwhelming but I find it helps to have a Plan.
    There are lots of ways of approaching this but, I suggest sketching out on paper a map of your world first, with areas the world will have, hills, valleys, swamp, rivers, lakes, beaches, etc, etc, add the colouring scheme, then draw in the roads and lots you want in those areas.
    Next, in CAW, I would create the overall shape of the world based on your map, adding hills and other geographic features, paint the landscapes with your colours , then put in the roads and sculpt around the roads to make them fit into the landscape, then add the lots, adjusting the landscape around them if I needed to. ( I try to have lots of flat areas for lots.) After that I add trees, rocks, and other decorations.
    How far apart to place lots is up to you and would probably depend on the area you are designing (dense downtown or sparse rural).
    Anyway, others might do these in a different order, but this helps me to keep things organized. Of course, there will be a lot of tweaking so the order isn't hard and fast.
    Hope this helps a little :)
    Firby nurbs!
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited November 2018
    Hi :)
    I would like to know what size world you want to make first. If it's anything other than the largest, I'd go with lot/road/lot/road/- remove lots- start editing land. Try not to edit the land with lots down, it rips the lot/land lines and you have more work.

Also, know what lots you want. If you want a Dive Lot, make sure you raise the water to the correct height (28?) then level the land.

I do it different. Only once have I ever drawn a map before making a world and it actually messed me up. It gave me more confidence in land areas then I should have. I ended up with a smaller city area then I wanted and a huge desert area, so not what I really wanted but I was too far into it to redo (even if I want to sooo bad). :)

1st- if you are placing a mountain, make sure you know where the sun rises and sets (I mark middle, sunrise, sunset). This way if you want a beach for the sunset or sun rise, it won't be blocked by a mountain or not get much sun. :)

2nd~ Make sure you know the lots you want and where. There's nothing like wanting 50 lots in your city area but only having room for 40 (of all sizes). Also have an idea what size each lot you need. The Rabbit hole/lot type you use will determine the lots size (Riverview or Showtime city halls are different sizes).

After figuring out where I want the sunrise/set, I normally start with where I want the town. I place my park, because it's open and where I like my Sims to hang out, and then put the roads around it. That's how I decide where city hall will be and I work out from there. :)

So, yes- I place a lot then roads then remove the lot. Once I have the main lots for the city area, I move on to the country roads/lots, beach roads/lots, farm roads/lots- making sure to remove lots before editing any terrain.

Or just have fun and don't worry about it. We learn by failing (or watching others fail). :)
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I'm thinking more of a small world 512x512, Mostly normal lot sizes, as a lot of lots in sims are normal sizes, I lack a lot of 40x40 lots in some worlds and 40x40 lots are a lot of Ea venues Lots, I like the idea of placing the park first. I want all of the commercial lots together, I do like the idea of pacing lots first, because If I want some beach lots, I need to know if they will fit. I thank you both @Rflong7 and @fxchrfxchr My worst problem is scenery, landscaping, I will just give my hand a try at it and see what happens. I would like a little life to the place. not just a flat prairie. just some little nice spots for my sims to hang out. Thanks again, appreciate your ans.