Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on world after today's livestream?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    How very yuppie California of them... Have seen the replay - thanks, folks, for links - and have mixed feelings. Positive: it was informative and filled in various knowledge gaps. Negative: Reminded me of a high school pep rally, and I left those behind when LBJ was president; it really rubbed one's face in the fact that the 'world' is so small with only a few lots to work with and mostly 'pretty-pretty, no touchie-touchie'. Their crowing about how wonderful it all is only made it worse. They did a splendid job of wrecking what little interest I had in getting the pack (for the CAS & B/B items). Any getting will be only at a steep discount. IF it's gotten at all.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    edited November 2018
    michelei wrote: »
    This is just my personal opinion but I am also confused about the backdrops they chose. If Mirage Park is for sims just starting out what's with all the boats and RVs. How many people do you know just starting out who have big sailboats and RVs in their backyards. It is beautiful but unless sims are living in the RVs this does not feel like an area of starter homes.

Growing up in LA, Mirage park looks like where we grew up. It isn't necessarily a starter place. You need money to live anywhere in LA lol, but it isn't Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Laurel Canyon either where you need bookoo bucks.

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    The premise is a lower end start out place, which the current area most definitely is not. While not having grown up in LA, have spent some time there, so have seen first hand what LA style low end is. Ain't pretty.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I think if you like to build it is a good pack. It offers a lot of items and different styles. Problem is you will have to bring out the bulldozer if you want to do it there.
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    @joyfulsimmer, @Ceres_Meiriona and @BlkBarbiegal each of you make very good points. Thank you for your comments. I think the world is beautiful and it looks very realistic. It just annoyed me to hear some refer to the area as the cheap rundown neighborhood. It looks upper middle class to me.

@Ceres_Meiriona my family also had an RV that we used often. Many of my favorite childhood memories were of my family trips in that camper. Imagine if the Sims ever make working RVs, RV parks and fun locations to park them.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited November 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    ashcrash19 wrote: »
    So where is the link to the recorded version? Those of us who work for a living and/or live in a different time zone can't see it when it happens. This may come as a shock to EA, but the world doesn't revolve around them.

Also, if you go to simsvip.com they always have a replay link and other news tidbits that happen.

You know what I most find ironic - is the fact people say this game was meant to attract young teens - right? But every live play, the Maxis Monthly, and the Maxis Garage is all held at 11a.m. Pacific Time on a week day when all kids those ages are at school. Sure they can see a replay but they can never ask questions or state on the chat how they feel about what's being shown. You would think if EA had a specific age they were gearing to, they would be interested in what those kids had to say and ask - but instead they schedule all communication type with their customers of choice - at a time they can never voice their opinions or ask questions on.

What made me say this is one of my families 13 year olds who is new to the Sims since Sims 4 came out asked me that very question last night - that if Sims 4 was really designed for kids her age why do they keep doing things live with the players only when she is in school. She for one is not allowed to go to multi-age forums yet or on twitter or anywhere else that allows people over 16 to talk to each other - so she has zero ways to communicate with the people who make a game said to be directed at young teens. She says she believes they don't want to hear from kids on what they want and how they feel or they'd do these things when her and her friends could be heard - as her mom would allow her to go on Twitch live at least, except she is in school then.

She has a very good point.

Actually the age for twitter is 13. Also it may be 11 am for American teens, it is not 11 am for European teens and other time zones. The Gurus can’t stream at 3pm PT as that would be really late for fans beyond the United States.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    As for the world, it looks pretty I admit. But the lack of lots are disappointing.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    So where is the link to the recorded version? Those of us who work for a living and/or live in a different time zone can't see it when it happens. This may come as a shock to EA, but the world doesn't revolve around them.

Also, if you go to simsvip.com they always have a replay link and other news tidbits that happen.

You know what I most find ironic - is the fact people say this game was meant to attract young teens - right? But every live play, the Maxis Monthly, and the Maxis Garage is all held at 11a.m. Pacific Time on a week day when all kids those ages are at school. Sure they can see a replay but they can never ask questions or state on the chat how they feel about what's being shown. You would think if EA had a specific age they were gearing to, they would be interested in what those kids had to say and ask - but instead they schedule all communication type with their customers of choice - at a time they can never voice their opinions or ask questions on.

What made me say this is one of my families 13 year olds who is new to the Sims since Sims 4 came out asked me that very question last night - that if Sims 4 was really designed for kids her age why do they keep doing things live with the players only when she is in school. She for one is not allowed to go to multi-age forums yet or on twitter or anywhere else that allows people over 16 to talk to each other - so she has zero ways to communicate with the people who make a game said to be directed at young teens. She says she believes they don't want to hear from kids on what they want and how they feel or they'd do these things when her and her friends could be heard - as her mom would allow her to go on Twitch live at least, except she is in school then.

Actually the age for twitter is 13. Also it may be 11 am for American teens, it is not 11 am for European teens and other time zones. The Gurus can’t stream at 3pm PT as that would be really late for fans beyond the United States.

Yeah, there is absolutely never anything of value in a twitch chat. When first person was announced the chat was just the word woohoo being spammed constantly.

Seriously though there’s nothing lost watching the replays later (they don’t even edit out the “oh they can’t see the screen yet” parts) since they generally don’t answer questions live. It’s unreasonable for the Gurus to structure their streams around sheltered teens. I know I had way more internet freedom when I was 13.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    QueenMercy wrote: »

Yeah, there is absolutely never anything of value in a twitch chat. When first person was announced the chat was just the word woohoo being spammed constantly.

Seriously though there’s nothing lost watching the replays later (they don’t even edit out the “oh they can’t see the screen yet” parts) since they generally don’t answer questions live. It’s unreasonable for the Gurus to structure their streams around sheltered teens. I know I had way more internet freedom when I was 13.

When I watch the streams I keep the chat closed, it moves very quickly and it’s hard to read. Also some of what I assume is teens fan girling can be a little, tiny bit difficult to keep up with. I’m a mod for a few streamers on twitch and the minimum age to have an account is thirteen. That said I’m not going to comment on what some parents allow and some don’t. I just wanted to point out that this game has millions of fans all around the world and for many teens or young adults or even adults- it’s not the same time zone EA are in. On the other side of the coin Europe has to go by American time for releases I.e 6pm the night of release when PT gets it at 10 am. Thems the breaks.

Edit, I do agree watching the VoD after surely is the answer for anyone regardless of age to do? The Gurus answer most questions and any that don’t can be searched and if it’s a child an adult can search for the response.
  • Options
    Laura_JonesLaura_Jones Posts: 485 Member
    So... going back to the subject here, I thought it was pretty, but I do feel sad that they seem to enjoy pushing their own creations on the community rather than just giving us tons of space to be creative. My favorite part of the game is building, so this pack seems extremely underwhelming for the amount of awesome B/B stuff they're giving us. I pretty much bulldoze all the houses I don't create, and it's sad to me that they take all this time to make this nice lots that I'll probably end up replacing. It's especially distressing when the gurus say stuff like "Oh, I made this one" and are so proud of themselves, and in the back of my mind I know I'll probably just get rid of it.
    Tl;dr, I feel like new packs are kind of turning into a showcase for the gurus' own creations--that they get paid to make--instead of allowing for freedom of creativity from the people actually paying for the game. I don't play this game to enjoy canned goods, I use it as a tool for my own expression.
  • Options
    EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Local neighborhood mod here. I've removed a string of recent posts that were derailing the conversation. I'd like to remind everyone to just be super mindful of your tone towards others and keep it respectful please, even if you disagree with someone. :smile:
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Honestly, to me it was never a concern that the world isn't so big. I'm planning to use it mostly for stars anyway, and not even all of them are going to live in Del Sol Valley, so I don't think I'll run out of space anytime soon. I love the backdrops and the buildings in Starlight Boulevard, not so much the premade houses in the Pinnacles, but that doesn't bother me either because I usually replace them with my own creations anyway.

The one thing that does bug me, though, is the size of that empty lot in Mirage Park, which they used to show off the build mode items. It's rather huge for a neighbourhood supposedly geared towards not so rich sims, which means the sim living there will either turn out rich anyway or have an abundance of unused space. I would have preferred two smaller lots instead. As it is now, what I might do with it is build some kind of motel with one dining area for everyone and small bedrooms with bathrooms for the individual sims living there.
  • Options
    joyofliving37joyofliving37 Posts: 106 Member
    edited November 2018
    Like they said in the stream, I like how the neighborhoods have different vibes. Despite the huge plum lots, Mirage Park clearly feels like a low end place to live while The Pinnacles feels like the land of the rich. I'm actually temped to have a family start out in Mirage Park and have them work their way up to the Pinnacles. It actually sounds like it would be fun.

Same here. I always use money cheats and the free real estate cheat, but for the first time I’m more excited about playing with sims who are broke. I’m going to play their households without using money cheats (except to reduce their funds to about $100 after moving into Mirage Park). I won’t move them out of Mirage Park until they have earned the money to buy a larger house. I already have plans for families I want in the Pinnacles, but my Mirage Park residents that become famous will move to nice houses in Oasis Springs or luxury apartments in San Myshuno. But I also plan to have some sims that will always be struggling actors, singers, writers, etc., and they will never make it out of Mirage Park.

As for my thoughts on the world, I think the scenery is really beautiful. I was initially disappointed with the number of lots, but now I’ve accepted it. A lot of creative ideas have come out of having a lack of space. I’ve figured out ways to make it work for my sims’ stories, and I’m so excited about it.