Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New world started - Dragonwyck

SeriphinaFyieSeriphinaFyie Posts: 3,506 Member
edited November 2018 in The Sims 3 Game Tools
Now that I've graduated and things have settled down I wanted to start playing again. Problem being, I just can't get in to Sims 4 like I did with Sims 3, and after the passing of a dear friend I'm having trouble picking up the old projects. So, here I am again, developing a new world. I just started it this week, and this is a chance to see how things progress as I build instead of doing the entire set-up from the beginning, so this could turn out really cool or absolutely horrible.

For your viewing pleasure, I've started the new world, Dragonwyck. I will be blogging about it every time I load up CAW, but I'll come here occasionally to post as well. I welcome you to follow in either place (or both!) and let me know what you think as things progress.

Screenshot-9_zpsr9y6qhgh.jpg

I welcome you all to follow my blog here if you wish! Looking forward to seeing how many people still love TS3!

Comments

• SeriphinaFyieSeriphinaFyie Posts: 3,506 Member
    edited November 2018
    First, I decided to start a small farming island. It's not completely finished, but the bulk of the farming community is set up. The majority of the lots for this island are placed and landscaping around them is complete. The next area I'm planning to work on will be a military base.

Here's a few WIP screenshots from edit-in-game:

Screenshot-6_zpssryghlal.jpg
    Screenshot-5_zpsxiycrupi.jpg
    Screenshot-10_zpswtuxbyt1.jpg
    Screenshot-9_zpsr9y6qhgh.jpg
    Screenshot-7_zpsh96luxts.jpg
    Screenshot-8_zps4usqjls9.jpg
    Screenshot-11_zps4c3gjqyi.jpg
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)
    It looks Lovely!
    Will it be a large map with different island themes?
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Ooh that's a name I haven't seen for a very long time :)

Your world is looking really beautiful ! I read your blog, particularly about the vignettes, it's a great idea. I love the thought of having world decor, like the old truck you mentioned, actually be placed there with a reason to go and look at it, rather than just "be there".
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • readypostreadypost Posts: 60 Member
    Liking the farming area very much! Very interested in seeing your progress. :)
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    So nice to see someone else creating worlds again for Sims 3. Your farming area is lovely, and I, too, like the idea of the vignettes. I've bookmarked your blog and look forward to following along.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    Your world looks great and it's fine to have empty lots or a blank world as that's how my Riverview makeover is going to be as it's the world getting the makeover.I wanted a blank version of Riverview for a legacy so I'm making it myself and others wanted a world similar to that.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :)
    It looks Lovely!
    Will it be a large map with different island themes?
    Thanks! Yes, in a sense it will. I've planned an island for the farming community, a larger island for the more "town" area, and another for a military base with housing, ports, and things like that. It is a large map size, so I have space to change my mind and add more as I go if I decide to go that route. Most of the map is still just flat actually. :D I did add extra depth to the ocean before I started anything to be sure the kracken will spawn, but that's the majority of the terrainscaping/planning I've done beyond the area I'm working on.
    One of my challenges will be making sure I plan enough housing to fill the various career spots while having enough available Sims to fill some of the other obligations, like bartenders and such. Thankfully I'm not planning too many bars. ;)
    Pary wrote: »
    Ooh that's a name I haven't seen for a very long time :)

Your world is looking really beautiful ! I read your blog, particularly about the vignettes, it's a great idea. I love the thought of having world decor, like the old truck you mentioned, actually be placed there with a reason to go and look at it, rather than just "be there".
    Yes! Mwahahaha! Great seeing you too! Thank you <3 I'm really enjoying building this way. It's like giving myself something to look forward to every few minutes! And I think it'll make gameplay much more fun since you can remember landmarks instead of just regions (like hey, the really good fish are near the dead tree!)
    readypost wrote: »
    Liking the farming area very much! Very interested in seeing your progress. :)
    Thanks readypost! I have work for a few days (3 shifts in a row, each 12 hours) but then I'm right back to work on the world!
    suzses wrote: »
    So nice to see someone else creating worlds again for Sims 3. Your farming area is lovely, and I, too, like the idea of the vignettes. I've bookmarked your blog and look forward to following along.
    Thank you suzses! I'm excited to be creating again, and it's wonderful that people are still loving TS3! I look forward to your feedback as the world develops.
    TadOlson wrote: »
    Your world looks great and it's fine to have empty lots or a blank world as that's how my Riverview makeover is going to be as it's the world getting the makeover.I wanted a blank version of Riverview for a legacy so I'm making it myself and others wanted a world similar to that.
    I have released a "lite" version of worlds in the past with just the empty lots, so I may do that again with this one, but not until after I've released the full version. I really want to flesh it out fully and part of that is building the lots so it has a complete story.
    My work week is over and I get to work on my world again! I'm working on the military base this week. I'll post most of my progress over at the blog, but here's a glimpse:
    Screenshot-18_zpswcomykli.jpg

For the most recent posts and information, check out my blog at https://mysims3worlds.blogspot.com/

Once again, I'm doing the initial landscaping, planning out lots, and adding interesting vignettes to the area (like the flag pole). Anything you think should be included on a military base that I may have missed?
    That's looking really nice ! I'm unable to leave comments on your blog, and I have no idea why, the box just wont work for me, but I wanted to let you know that I'm following along :)
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    Pary wrote: »
    That's looking really nice ! I'm unable to leave comments on your blog, and I have no idea why, the box just wont work for me, but I wanted to let you know that I'm following along :)

Weird! I checked the settings and it said something about GooglePlus, so I've disabled that. You should (fingers crossed) be able to comment now. Thank you for letting me know!!
    Ah, thank you ! I was able to make a comment but I think you must have to approve them first since it didn't show up.
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    I ♡ Pudding
  • equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    This is beautiful! I have this dream to create my own world. Right now it's slow going because I'm not sure how to make the terrain interesting, but I'll get there! :)

I can't wait to see more of your progress. Do you detail areas as you go along before finishing the terrain?
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been working on a Riverview makeover which I intend to leave blank for others to add lots or to make a save file with lots added for anyobdy not wanting to add the blank lots first.I've got to load CAW up to work on it and get it done.
    @SeriphinaFyie -I like to use save files for built up versions of worlds or a populated version though it would be done in a special Sims 3 folder without my usual Mods.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    I really, really love your decorating style! Very beautiful.

IMO, I don't think you need a bunch of islands to change or transition from one area to the next. Didn't you do that in your world Alleria? (Love that world so much but it's a bit too huge for my playstyle. I mean, I really love it - wish you had more of the lots included with that world because they were really awesome.)

I hope you continue with this project - you are so very talented!!!
    edited November 2018
    equuest wrote: »
    This is beautiful! I have this dream to create my own world. Right now it's slow going because I'm not sure how to make the terrain interesting, but I'll get there! :)

I can't wait to see more of your progress. Do you detail areas as you go along before finishing the terrain?
    I detail as I go along. Some people can do all the sculpting first, but I've never had that work out well for me, so I do it in tiny pieces.

TadOlson wrote: »
    I've been working on a Riverview makeover which I intend to leave blank for others to add lots or to make a save file with lots added for anyobdy not wanting to add the blank lots first.I've got to load CAW up to work on it and get it done.
    @SeriphinaFyie -I like to use save files for built up versions of worlds or a populated version though it would be done in a special Sims 3 folder without my usual Mods.
    Though I understand that blank worlds are your preference, I am not making a blank world.

I really, really love your decorating style! Very beautiful.

IMO, I don't think you need a bunch of islands to change or transition from one area to the next. Didn't you do that in your world Alleria? (Love that world so much but it's a bit too huge for my playstyle. I mean, I really love it - wish you had more of the lots included with that world because they were really awesome.)

I hope you continue with this project - you are so very talented!!!
    Thank you so much for your kind words! Yes I had island transitions in that world. I'd intended to upload a complete version, with all lots constructed, but my files got corrupted. So, Lite is the only version there is. Perhaps I'll re-do the builds and upload a save file if I get antsy. I have another world, Lorewood, which I was making for a dear friend. Sadly, she passed away suddenly and I haven't been able to work on it since, but eventually I hope to upload that as well. It's a roadless midieval world.
    There's only 3 islands in this one. A larger main island with the majority of the buildings and some rural spaces, the island that is all rural spaces, then the military base is kinda off on it's own to give the atmosphere of being secured from the main spaces. I'm trying to make it more cohesive than Alleria (which was a play on the idea of "all areas", hence why it was segmented.), and it will overall have a more rural feel with a little town area for the major rabbit holes.
    Here's a quick picture update. For more details, check out the most recent blog post.
    Screenshot-27_zpsflbfzvcr.jpg
    Screenshot-31_zpsft9cgreh.jpg
    Screenshot-30_zpsgf0tsbau.jpg
    Screenshot-28_zpsvwiogotw.jpg
    Screenshot-29_zps4qukiuxj.jpg
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :mrgreen:

It's so picturesque and lovely. Wonderful work. :+1:
    Your terrain painting is very lovely.
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    I ♡ Pudding
  • 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    Oh, it's beautiful! Well done!
  • chojrakchojrak Posts: 188 Member
    That's a lovely painted terrain! :smiley: And well placed flora. Island is small but looks so plentiful because of that. :smile: