Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing on rotation - HELP?

I have an attachment to all my sims (especially in my family game)- I raised those kids 😂- so I have my “founder” household and I moved kids out when appropriate and started their own families but they’re all in active households because I like to continue the story..

But what would you say is the best amount of sim days to play one household and then rotate to the next? I’ve missed several pets dying now and I just feel bad

Thanks
tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman

Comments

• sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I know some people have a schedule such as 1 week for each rotation, I just wing it. One thing about playing rotationally is that you can turn off aging for households marked played but allow aging for the active household. That way, time only passes when you actually play them.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I don't think there is a "right amount" of sims days but what I do to avoid that is to have ageing on only on the active household.
    What I do specifically is that I set the ageing to "only active household" and "unplayed households" on the first household of my rotation. Then as soon as I move on to another household I uncheck the "unplayed household" option. And don't check it again until I get back to that first initial household that I started my rotation with.
    This way townies also age up but not so rapidly.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    sunblond wrote: »
    I know some people have a schedule such as 1 week for each rotation, I just wing it. One thing about playing rotationally is that you can turn off aging for households marked played but allow aging for the active household. That way, time only passes when you actually play them.

wait... so I can turn off aging for the played households? but active can be on?
    So I have 3 (soon to be more) households I'm involved in all active and played but I can have it so they only age when I'm playing them?

"wahoo" - aquaman
    I don't think there is a "right amount" of sims days but what I do to avoid that is to have ageing on only on the active household.
    What I do specifically is that I set the ageing to "only active household" and "unplayed households" on the first household of my rotation. Then as soon as I move on to another household I uncheck the "unplayed household" option. And don't check it again until I get back to that first initial household that I started my rotation with.
    This way townies also age up but not so rapidly.

Hmmm I might give it a stab?... but I have a feeling I'd forget

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    It definitely helps to have aging on for active household only, like others have suggested! I wouldn't worry too much about remembering to age townies, unless it's crucial to you to keep them aging at the same pace (it could be for finding future spouses). You could just intuitively check the box when you feel that they're falling behind. Only problem is that you also need to uncheck it or they'll be dying too fast. I have a huge rotation, so I very rarely feel the need to age up the whole town. Generally I will manually age townies that matter, with a cake.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    sunblond wrote: »

wait... so I can turn off aging for the played households? but active can be on?
    So I have 3 (soon to be more) households I'm involved in all active and played but I can have it so they only age when I'm playing them?

Yes, you can allow ageing on the active played household only. It is one of the options...
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    Pity that is impossible lock too skills as age. I have 25 families and they get a lot skills while I play other family....
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    Yes, I was cautioned early on to set aging on for Active Household Only. That way I can play for a Sim week without worry. I have also set each season for a two week length so that both households get to enjoy each season.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    Yes, I was cautioned early on to set aging on for Active Household Only. That way I can play for a Sim week without worry. I have also set each season for a two week length so that both households get to enjoy each season.

So this means - the active household is the one I'm playing at that moment and time "freezes" for everyone else? and in my other played households?

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

So this means - the active household is the one I'm playing at that moment and time "freezes" for everyone else? and in my other played households?

Exactly. Your other played households stay were you left them and don't age with that option.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    I love that The Sims 4 allows for players to set the aging only for active household.
    To do that, go to gameplay options and you'll see the aging settings for played and unplayed households (and lifespan). For unplayed households, there's just a checkbox that you can use to turn the aging on or off for them. But for played households, there's a dropdown menu where you can choose either yes, no, or only for the active household.
    But remember: The gameplay options are different for each save. You cannot change these settings in main menu, so you'll have to open a save first to change the settings for that. If you start a new save, the gameplay settings for the last played save will be applied to the new save.
    (Same with seasons settings)
  • EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    I prefer to adjust it per family. If I'm less interested in a family, they may only get 2 or 3 days. A family I like more might get longer. I don't know how long your sim lives are, but when I changed mine from normal to long rotational play got a thousand times easier.

I also had a problem with the rest of the world not aging up when my sims did if I only kept aging for the active household. Keeping sims lives long completely fixed that.