Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Romantic partners and breaking up

I'm trying to get the latest heir in my legacy engaged to his girlfriend and the option to go steady will not come up despite the fact their their relationship is maxed and no matter how many romantic interactions I have them do. I think the problem might be he has another sim that appears as his partner in his family tree. I don't even remember how she became his partner (I'm coming back to this game after taking a few months off) but they probably went to the prom together, but they currently have no relationship with each other, they're only listed as acquaintances when they actually interact but partners in their family tree. I can't get him to break up with her, I can never find the option to break up in the interaction menu. I tried having him kiss his new girlfriend in front of her but that did nothing either. Has anyone else experienced something like this or have any idea how to fix it?

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    The problem could be that the relationship between your sim and his old flame dropped to zero, confusing the game as to whether they're still dating or not. (You would normally find "break up" under "Mean....") You could always try cheating the relationship back up first, to see if you get the interactions you want.

If the female you want your sim to date already lives in your active household, once the two of them have built up their romantic interactions to the point where they each think the other is being "extremely irresistible," the would-be girlfriend would normally be able to ask your sim to break up with the previous one. This will make the old and new girlfriends nemeses, for what should be obvious reasons, and will probably also affect your sim's reputation. But then you'll be able to ask to go steady, etc.

If this doesn't work, you could try buying the Clean Slate LTR for your sim. It's supposed to erase the reputation and extraneous romantic interests, but it might help shake something loose. (You can save beforehand, in case it doesn't work and you want the points back.)

Of course, if you happen to use mods, NRaas MasterController can reassign the relationship between any two sims. You might need to change it a couple of times, just to get the game to cooperate.
  • LordThebesLordThebes Posts: 19 Member
    I forgot to mention I also tried to Clean Slate reward to and that didn't help. It just caused my sim and his romantic interest to no longer be in love, the other sim was still listed as his partner. The girlfriend doesn't live in the active house currently, though I guess I could try adding her to see if that helps. I'm not using mods right now for fear of glitching my game after I was unable to play Sims 2 anymore due to it becoming glitched (and issues like this really make me miss Sims 2!) though I guess I could try that too if nothing else works.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited November 2018
    There are certainly some mods that can and will glitch your saves, often even when used properly. But there are others, particularly some from NRaas, that are specifically made to clean up game corruption and glitches like this one. If you're not interested in mods overall, that's totally fine, and people will still try to help. But some game issues can be stubborn enough that mods may offer the only real fix.

In the meantime, though, if the new girlfriend can't convince your sim to break up with the old one, you might try cheating up the value of the previous relationship, just to see if it helps. Bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-c), enter "testingcheatsenabled true" without quotes, and drag the relationship up to somewhere around good friends. Then "save as" (rename the save so you have a backup), quit, clear the five cache files in your TS3 game folder in Documents, and reload. For reference, they are:
    • CASPartCache.package
    • compositorCache.package
    • scriptCache.package
    • simCompositorCache.package
    • socialCache.package
    In fact, it's a good idea to clear those files before and after every troubleshooting step, and even when your game is running smoothly. Otherwise, they tend to clog up with old data and can glitch your save.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I used to get that issue back when I played Modless and it convinced me to start playing Modded.I don't get story progression doing those things anymore since the settings don't allow that unless I started the relationship.I've got all of the NRaas Mod collection installed along with awesomemod to fix school isssues and NRaas to fix all kinds of issues.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited November 2018
    Hi :smile:
    Other ways to break up than the already mentioned 'mean' interaction > 'break up', are by text message from the relations panel and clicking on the person in question (if 'girl-/boyfriend' - 'partner'?) > 'send dump sms'. (UL?)

Or social 'friendly' interaction > 'admit adultery' (this interaction is also present in 'romantic interest'-relations). It is more of a way to let the other one break up, especially if nothing is done to fix the relation (they get mad).

The LTR 'clean slate' usually removes romantic interests not marriage/fiancee/girlfriend, as mentioned, but one time it actually erased a marriage for me.

A couple of times travels (WA, UL) have erased/broken romantic relationships with sims left in the home world in my unmodded game. Especially if the LTR clean slate is bought while in another world.

I tried it in Sunset Valley with Connor Frio as 'boyfriend' and Claire Ursine as 'romantic interest'. Connor was still listed as boyfriend even if the friendship bar was close to the middle. But there are so many contributing factors for different players. I hope the recommended reset method works.
  • aurore907aurore907 Posts: 2 New Member
    J'ai également un problèmes avec mes sims ils souhaitent tous les 2 se marié mais je n'y arrive pas j'ai bon essayer tout les truc romantiques mais rien ne change je ne sais pas leur faire faire une demande de fiancaille deja que le sims garcon n'etait pas a moi et qu'il s'est rajouter d'office apres mon retour de l'université donc je ne sais pas quoi faire
    Maybe @Simsophonique can translate and /or help? :smile:
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,277 Member
    edited November 2018
    aurore907 wrote: »
    J'ai également un problèmes avec mes sims ils souhaitent tous les 2 se marié mais je n'y arrive pas j'ai bon essayer tout les truc romantiques mais rien ne change je ne sais pas leur faire faire une demande de fiancaille deja que le sims garcon n'etait pas a moi et qu'il s'est rajouter d'office apres mon retour de l'université donc je ne sais pas quoi faire

@Auroraskies,
    Translated version of what @aurore907 posted.

Google Translated
    I also have a problem with my sims they wish all 2 get married but I can not do I have to try all the romantic stuff but nothing changes I do not know how to make them apply for a fiance already that the sims boy was not mine and he added himself after my return from university so I do not know what to do

Bing Translated
    I also have a problem with my Sims they wish all 2 getting married but I can not do it I have good try all the romantic stuff but nothing changes I do not know them to make a request for engagement deja that the boy Sims was not mine and that he St Add office after my return from the university so I do not know what to do
    Post edited by lisasc360 on
    @lisasc360 Thank you, I got something similar from google translate, but I can't make sense of it, sorry. :smile:
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,277 Member
    You're welcome @Auroraskies... :) But I went and changed it as I had used Google Translate just now as I had used the Bing Translator before and it had changed a couple of words that I couldn't understand but now I do since using the Google one... :)
    This is very amusing. :smiley:

@aurore907 Peut-être écrire en anglais? Ou poster en version France:

https://forums.thesims.com/fr_FR/categories

:smile:
  • aurore907aurore907 Posts: 2 New Member
    I have a problem with my sims I have a fairy character then I went to university I met a normal boy, we were not a roommate but after my graduation I went home and the boy came back with and became a fairy so now it's part of my home. since I try to married but it does not work, I tried everything they both want to get married but I never have the option "request for engagement" what should I do? and is it normal that the boy came back with me?
    @aurore907 That has never happened to me. This is only from searching (short sentences to work better in google translate. Sorry if it is not needed):

A lot of posts report the same as you. A sim attaches. Follows them home from University. Maybe a EA travel bug. Maybe a corrupt game.

A lot of posts on problems to marry. Marry the university follower. Problems finding the interactions in other situations.

Possible explanations:
    Corrupt sim from University-World. Boy is copy of himself in University. Problems occur because of it.

Boy from University has other romantic relationship there.
    Solutions: break it up. By text. By going back to university. By buying the 'Life Time Reward': 'clean slate'. Etcetera. See the posts above.
    Reset boy/household. Lots of ways: reset sim cheat. Move boy out to other house. Move out then in, in Edit Town. Mod ways if you have them. Move to new save/town. Etcetera.

Gameplay explanation: Subtle moves and momentum is needed. Build up the relation. Traits matter: Charismatic and flirty is good. Commitment issues and unflirty is bad. Reputation matters. Status matter.

Bonne chance :smile:
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited November 2018
    @Auroraskies : The trouble is the section Fr is totally ZzZ I go to check it out sometimes. After for the translations I am barely do better than google lol .
    However I got my family couples who are married but they are not romantic each others, if I try their relashionships trumbles quickly (yeah my sims are maaaad)

@aurore907: Envoie le dans le CAS et ensuite changes les traits de tes sims , essaie de les faire similaires ou choisis les mêmes traits de caractères que ta jeune femme parce que des sims trop différents ne peuvent pas être compatibles ensembles ils vont se disputer tout le temps et mettre un terme à leur relation voir pas du tout se fiancer ensemble. Personnellement c'est ce que j'aurais fais, où bien j'aurais tout fait pour le virer ahaha.

Sent your sim in the CAS and then, change the sims personality traits, try to choose the same traits as your girl or at least traits that get along eatch other to match the personalities. Because too much different sims in a couple cannot match each other , they will argue all the time and they can break up even they avoid to be engaged. In my point of view, I would do these, or well I would do everything to sack him ahaha.

Post edited by Simsophonique on
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
    @Simsophonique , @aurore907

I would kick out the corrupted one too! Or better yet, revert to a previous save where he wasn't in existence yet :grimace:
    @Simsophonique , @aurore907

I would kick out the corrupted one too! Or better yet, revert to a previous save where he wasn't in existence yet :grimace:

@Auroraskies Well that could be possible to kill him with Nrass Master Controller (total anhimilation) without getting a tomb at the graveyard.
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    @Simsophonique According to the mod developer's website it would require Errortrap also to get rid of all traces of the offending one.
    That is, if it is a corrupt game and if that would help and if that would be the preferred solution.

If @aurore907 is still in the room with us:

Here is a thread for new members with technical issues. Go ask there if you want:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893122/thread-for-new-members-to-post-their-sims-3-game-issues/p82

:smile:
    Errortrap? Probably but as I never got that problem I can't confirm @Auroraskies .