Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Remodel CAS interface

ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
edited September 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
So much needs to be fixed.

- the interface with the disappearing and unnecessary movements when switching outfits needs to stop.
- let us set up the filter when we want and keep it that way regardless what we do in the categories, no automatic filters, dont reset it when changing outfits, no automated selections, everything MANUAL
- move the sim from the middle of the screen more to the left
- activity outfit selection (everyday, formal, ect.) should be always visible (editing a vampire outfit or face is a nightmare!!!) and enlarged to see the additional outfits
- when hitting the delete outfit button there should be a confirmation window because one can easily hit it by accident
- move the filter to the left side of the sim or right side of the item selection window and make it always visible (without covering options) (ignore if you move the sim more to the left)
- add an option to increase the amount of columns to 4, 6 or 8 to match the resolution (we arent playing with 640x480 anymore!!)
- disable automatic filters for makeup (hot and cold weather filter hides nearly all makeup and clothing for no reason!!!)
- move vampire brows, sockets, eye details, cheeks and mouth into a single category (instead of 5 with only 3 options)
- the X to remove all items from an item category should be always visible (reduces time to search)
- add an option that adds any item to all outfits of that sim (like makeup, ect.), an all outfit cloning feature
- add an option to save an outfit, makup, accessories
- allow two top, bottom and full body items but prevent double selections from some category like two jeans ect. Some short things look good above long things :)
- make ALL outfits visible including bathing, work (which we can only access through cheats!!!) and festivals

Required fixes:
- selecting only one filter like custom content still displays items that arent custom content
- while zoomed in on the face and moving the cursor from the face to the UI on the right to select items, the hair highlights like its selected but the cursor is not over it. Sometimes its frustrating because it makes it difficult to select a hair color. Why highlight the hair anyway especially in detail edit mode?
- manually zooming in on the face switches from the body/clothing to the face/skin/makeup UI at some point. It should not automatically select categories
- the filter is directly over the category UI options
- opening the filter always has fashion choice enlarged for no appearent reason and when disabling this particular filter and opening the filter on another body part its not enlarged
- disable camera reset when changing to vampire sim while zoomed in on the face
- when starting the game and going straight to CAS to edit existing sims, its not possible to edit their strengsth and fat sliders. They are not visible. We have to start playing any household to "unlock" this for the current game session
- bathing outfit doesnt have most CC
- removing an item from anywhere but the "first page" of the item list make the list jump to the top. This is especially frustrating when the list is VERY long and we need to search for the last location we were looking at.

More updates as they come.
Post edited by Zasz on

Comments

• FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited November 2018
    Love your ideas! :)
    Especially the option that adds any item to all outfits of that Sim. (We had that in Sims 3 with hair styles I believe)
    And also the option to expand the columns, that's something that's REALLY needed right now.
    a256aFi.gif
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    You can expand the columns with a mod to have 4 instead of just two. I cant think of any reason why that isnt in the game already.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited November 2018
    I have a really simple request for CAS: I would love the family portrait feature from TS2 to make a reappearance. When creating a household, it was really nice to see them all together at the end, in real time. It gave the player an opportunity to take a portrait screencap of the family that wasn't tiny and indistinct.

As a sidebar, in TS2/TS3, it was also nice to see the Sims pose together. In the portraits, the Sims always posed in relation to each other, not separately as they appear in TS4. In TS4, the only interactions in the household portraits are when an adult holds an infant or toddler.

I miss couples hugging and children/teens mugging behind another family member. Those things added some humor and heart.

TS4 doesn't seem to give much weight to Sims interacting with each other -- other than speaking.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    Just now I find myself frustrated over CAS and how it bites you in the backside. I wanted to design a new vampire and the first thing people do is design the normal and vampire form. Done. Then I went on to the outfits and just as I started I remembered that now I have to copy all outfits manually to the vampire form. Why? Because the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 game doesnt have an option to just copy an outfit. If I use the "copy sim to dark form" option thats available I lose all vampire form settings Ive done.

Considering I rarely design a sim from scratch like this it hurts that I forget about the order to do things. But designing cloths first and then the skin and accessories is counterproductive! It hurts to see this painful CAS after every patch.

This is supposed to be fun!!!
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Zasz wrote: »
    Just now I find myself frustrated over CAS and how it bites you in the backside. I wanted to design a new vampire and the first thing people do is design the normal and vampire form. Done. Then I went on to the outfits and just as I started I remembered that now I have to copy all outfits manually to the vampire form. Why? Because the plum game doesnt have an option to just copy an outfit. If I use the "copy sim to dark form" option thats available I lose all vampire form settings Ive done.

Considering I rarely design a sim from scratch like this it hurts that I forget about the order to do things. But designing cloths first and then the skin and accessories is counterproductive! It hurts to see this painful CAS after every patch.

This is supposed to be fun!!!

bmYUScc.png
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    What the... What is that?
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    What the... What is that?

It's CAS.. Click the arrow next to the dark form copy button and you can select what you'd like to copy.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    edited November 2018
    Unbelievable! Well, thank you for revealing this neat feature.

But still... The feature is so hidden and with the rest of my concerns it only makes me feel even more frustrated now. And it doesnt work properly anyway.
    Post edited by Zasz on
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,668 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    I have a really simple request for CAS: I would love the family portrait feature from TS2 to make a reappearance. When creating a household, it was really nice to see them all together at the end, in real time. It gave the player an opportunity to take a portrait screencap of the family that wasn't tiny and indistinct.

Yes, the family portrait was nifty, but it would be even better if it actually resulted in a wall hanging photo to be found in the household inventory. I'd love to have such photos on the wall, it would also be a nice memory of how the family members looked like when they started out.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    There is a family photo when you save a family. Too bad they are small like 300 x 300 in resolution.
    The game reminded me several times the past week how annoying the filter is. With the addition of cold/hot weather outfits it limits all CAS items to about 8 including make up. Seriously, cold/hot weather limits most categories to about 10% of the available selections for no rational reason!!! This is more of a bug than a feature! *goes to AHQ to ponder if the nightmare is worth going through*
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited December 2018
    Whoa, whoa...hold up. When did they add the ability to copy the look so their dark form looks like their first form (like with all their individual filters Clothing, Body, face, hair, etc)? Or where the plums have I been? Do they have this available for Aliens too and I just never knew?! And if they don't. This is most definitely something I would like to have for a "CAS remodel" because I love creating Aliens, but their CAS is soo frustrating. :( I get that it's a disguise, but I at least want to be able to "copy" their Alien form and then reshape their Disguised Human form. And I also like having some Aliens that have "Human like" skin tones but big dark black eyes.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    The game reminded me several times the past week how annoying the filter is. With the addition of cold/hot weather outfits it limits all CAS items to about 8 including make up. Seriously, cold/hot weather limits most categories to about 10% of the available selections for no rational reason!!! This is more of a bug than a feature! *goes to AHQ to ponder if the nightmare is worth going through*

You can just remove the filter, Jesus.

Of all of the suggestions on this thread I only really want a third CAS column. Eight would probably butcher performance not to mention not fit with almost any resolution.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited December 2018
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    You can just remove the filter, Jesus.
    Do you play the same game? It resets when I switch between sims and outfits. Imagine cutting a vegetable in your kitchen and your cat jumps on the counter. Just put her down, right? No, she jumps right back up as soon as you grab another piece to cut or a different tool. I cant tell the cat to stop!
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Of all of the suggestions on this thread I only really want a third CAS column. Eight would probably butcher performance not to mention not fit with almost any resolution.
    Thats why I suggested to move some options to the empty void that is the left side of the CAS interface. Like the filter so we have more space on the right and not overlap the item categories while the manual filter selection is open. And why do you want to punish people with broader resolutions? Just give us the choice to fit our resolution.

Tell me this looks like a well placed interface. I dare you!
    34615508vq.jpg
    Post edited by Zasz on
  • TopNotchToddlerTopNotchToddler Posts: 190 Member

[...](editing a vampire outfit or face is a nightmare right now!!!)[...]
    I agree. The constant switching, disappearing and resetting of categories, slots and filters in detail and full body view makes this hard work.
    And yes, there is absolutely no reason for the filters to be placed left from the thumbnails on higher resolution screens.
    Added required fixes. Love it when CAS gives me the ideas while it tortures me.
    Bump with small changed and additions.
    Bump for todays patch because the 4 columns mod is broken again and it takes ages to find anything with two tiny columns.
    Bumping for spooktober. Come on, devs.
    Bump before the CAS stream.
  • nd6487nd6487 Posts: 1 New Member
    Bump...
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,670 Member
    Lots of people need color wheel...
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • Big_DonkusBig_Donkus Posts: 1 New Member
    I have a request that will probably never happen, but the thing that annoys me most about cas is the controls for sliders being on the body itself, and how you need to be looking at the right body part from the right angle at the right zoom level to find the slider you're looking for, and even when you find the slider it's nearly impossible to accurately adjust one slider without moving the other because the controls are 2 dimensional. It makes designing a sim to look a certain way incredibly confusing and difficult. And when you start adding in CC sliders you quickly run out of room on the body to fit them in.
    I'm calling for a complete redesign of the slider controls. Sliders need to be controlled by actual sliders that are part of the UI, ideally in a list down the left side of the screen. They need to have names and numerical values so they are easy to find, fine tune and copy from one sim to another. This way you could copy slider values and share them online so others could copy specific features to their own sims. And with the sliders being in a list you could add as many CC sliders as you want and never run out of room for them.
    I would settle for a mod that does this, but I can't find any mods that change the UI in cas except one that adds more columns. Heck, I would even settle for a mod that just adds numerical values to the current sliders, like x and y coordinates, but I can't even find anything like that.
    It seems the latest patch only changed the sorting of items. Too bad. I was hoping for at least one improvement.
  • BotchedParrotBotchedParrot Posts: 11 New Member
    > @Zasz said:
    > It seems the latest patch only changed the sorting of items. Too bad. I was hoping for at least one improvement.

Wasn't much of an impact. I wouldn't even have noticed anything changed, if at all.

Color palette still isn't scrollable when you have CC. They overlap the item selection, and the only way to get around that is using the dice until you get what you want.

In my experience, it's also not intuitive even if you're trying to find an item without mods. CC not being selected to be included still displays CC depending on what filter you use (when it shouldn't), and it definitely will include CC (as it should) in other cases.

For example, I can remove any CC item on the list if my filter includes "purchased" items. What that really means is it includes any item that comes with my purchased packs, but it does NOT include base game items. If I also select base game from the packs list alongside it, my list comes up blank even if there's no specific type of item I'm using. This makes 0 sense; I would think the filter has to include both if both are marked.

But if I chose only "base game" (and/or any other pack), without "custom content" also being selected, CC will still be included. *head meet desk* I could sorta blame the CC creators for using "pack-specific" labels, but on the other hand, the game is at fault for including CC items which are clearly labeled CC while they aren't being selected to be included in the filter.

The only feasible way I can completely not use any CC items with this headache is to restart the game without mods being loaded, and I have to avoid loading my modded save to avoid breaking Sims 4 the next time I reload it with mods enabled. A bit cumbersome to go back and forth when the situation is avoidable with better CAS functionality. I'd sooner set up another machine or install that runs without mods, and I don't want this to count against me just for running two copies of a game that already punishes me for trying to be as creative in all sorts of possible ways.

Last time I checked out the demo, it was theoretically possible to save mod-free sims, but alas, the selection is limited and IIRC, there's no way that one can "upload" anything online and subsequently save them remotely. So I'm not sure how feasible it is as an alternative which is basically not even functional at a basic level anyway.