Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Project Atlas

Electronic Arts is preparing for the future, and one that is increasingly focused on streaming and cloud technology.

"At EA, we envision a future in which games go even further beyond the immersive experiences players enjoy today," Moss said. "I'm talking about games that offer living, breathing worlds that constantly evolve. You'll play them one day, and when you come back the next, things have changed based on inputs from other players, AI, and even the real world.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-has-1000-people-working-on-a-ridiculously-ambit/1100-6462918/?ftag=GSS-05-10aab8e&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5bda490a1adf640001f82c03&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Glad their preparing for cloud tech. That's a better way of saving our games.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Thanks for sharing the article @simgirl1010 :)

The engine aspect of Project Atlas will see EA further unify its engine work to focus even more on the Frostbite engine

- I can see that the direction that the EA is going is to establish their cross-platform technology & products, which means, for any future development for The Sims franchise will go along the same direction. I'm totally fine with that, but, how are they going to maintain the same quality for all platforms? We were told that due to performance issue, they can't do this & that... So, I'm a bit skeptical about it...

On the "services" front, EA has big plans to deepen the "social capabilities" of its games, and this includes advancements to how you meet up with and spend time with other players in games, as well as sharing content captured in those games to the wider world. For matchmaking specifically, Moss said EA is making changes to allow for a more personalised experience that pulls from data you share with EA. Moss stressed that EA is being mindful of respecting player privacy.

- I like this idea, but, for The Sims specially, I would like to have an option to immerse in my own virtual world, but at the same time, I can also interact with the other players when I want to... like most MMO games out there... For example, like WOW where I can choose to play solo or with a team... I'm not really into data sharing, although it could be good in personalising individual experience... but, I would not like it if it's only meant for marketing purposes..

Project Atlas is EA's new streaming and cloud technology, which will allow gamers to play graphics-intensive titles potentially in a browser because the content is streamed and not stored locally. EA is working on a streaming service of its own, but details about subscription pricing, titles, and more have not yet been disclosed.

- I'm not against cloud technology, it's good in general as it's saving us a lot of space and will probably optimised our game experience... But, most of the time, I would like to play offline and pull my data locally. And I'm not into paying the subscription, possible upgrade, etc.... And I'm very concern about the security...

EA also plans to leverage AI and machine-learning to make significant advancements to the believability of the interactions in its games. NPC behaviour stands to become far more realistic and dynamic, while the commentating in sports games could also get a boost of believability...."Leveraging AI and machine learning will also give game makers the ability to craft in-game interactions with non-playable characters or - NPCs in a way that is virtually indecipherable from a human interaction," Moss said. "So, instead of a pre-scripted, pattern-based logic for NPC behavior, this would make it possible for an NPC to engage in a way that is dynamic, contextual, and absolutely believable.

- I personally like this idea as it's one of my research topics that I would like to explore in the future... The dynamic interaction is probably one of the best feature that EA could actually integrate in The Sims.. And with the new development of VR, I think it will be the best combo in the new gaming industry... But, in the end, I hope that we'll not immerse in the virtual world too much... :D
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Admittedly, using machine learning for better AI sounds impressive (although it's expensive on processing power right now on EA's end, especially if it requires constant retraining to adapt), but the other online parts like cloud and streaming integration are a bit iffy to me, if only because of past experiences with online integration. Plus it's EA, so this sounds like another reason for microtransactions to creep into their games.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Admittedly, using machine learning for better AI sounds impressive (although it's expensive on processing power right now on EA's end, especially if it requires constant retraining to adapt), but the other online parts like cloud and streaming integration are a bit iffy to me, if only because of past experiences with online integration. Plus it's EA, so this sounds like another reason for microtransactions to creep into their games.

Couldn't agree more.. :D
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    The part about your game changing from day to day reminds me of Animal Crossing. I used to get so upset when I'd load my game and get a notice that one of my favorite animals had left town. Imagine loading your sims game only to find one of your sims had moved to another town. In another player's game :p
  • Options
    The part about your game changing from day to day reminds me of Animal Crossing. I used to get so upset when I'd load my game and get a notice that one of my favorite animals had left town. Imagine loading your sims game only to find one of your sims had moved to another town. In another player's game :p

Owh gosh!!! Noooo...... :D:p
  • Options

And said player sends your sim swimming...permanently >:)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

I thought Halloween was over already? Don't scare me with such nightmares please! :scream:
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    As a side note, I can totally see machine learning being used to solve the problem with horrible randomized outfits. It just needs to get samples of player-made sims in the gallery, train on them and try to generalize a pattern based on how they're dressed, and the game should be able to generate outfits that aren't as terrible. Machine learning isn't perfect, so there'll be a few oddities there, but it can give better results than what we have now.

• Options
    As a side note, I can totally see machine learning being used to solve the problem with horrible randomized outfits. It just needs to get samples of player-made sims in the gallery, train on them and try to generalize a pattern based on how they're dressed, and the game should be able to generate outfits that aren't as terrible. Machine learning isn't perfect, so there'll be a few oddities there, but it can give better results than what we have now.

Totally agree @icmnfrsh I really like when the AI could actually not only imitating the players' preferences or play style.. but also the characters. My assumption is, the style influencer could be one of the examples for this "WIP" where they could influence the others to change their style.. in some way, if the AI learning is implemented, the NPC could change their own outfits through their own "observation" of the played household style, etc.

But, what I'm more interested is the dynamic interaction between the played household and the NPC. Something where they could tweak the memory system or affection system that we used to have... but, I am more towards something where the AI could evolve into creating the unpredictable behaviour of the NPC by learning from the individual play style.. it can be so scary, but it will be a fun experience too.. I personally like the AI interaction because it could be become more realistic, which I hope that they should set a limit to it too, because once the AI learnt the pattern, it could really imitate the actual behaviour of a human.. just some theories that I read and one classic example, like the Turing test.. :)
  • Options
    xamira99 wrote: »

Totally agree icmnfrsh I really like when the AI could actually not only imitating the players' preferences or play style.. but also the characters. My assumption is, the style influencer could be one of the examples for this "WIP" where they could influence the others to change their style.. in some way, if the AI learning is implemented, the NPC could change their own outfits through their own "observation" of the played household style, etc.

But, what I'm more interested is the dynamic interaction between the played household and the NPC. Something where they could tweak the memory system or affection system that we used to have... but, I am more towards something where the AI could evolve into creating the unpredictable behaviour of the NPC by learning from the individual play style.. it can be so scary, but it will be a fun experience too.. I personally like the AI interaction because it could be become more realistic, which I hope that they should set a limit to it too, because once the AI learnt the pattern, it could really imitate the actual behaviour of a human.. just some theories that I read and one classic example, like the Turing test.. :)

Oh yeah! That's a great idea, actually. The game could learn from your behavior and cater to your own playstyle. I think that would be interesting.

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited November 2018
    Complete "Engine 🐸🐸🐸🐸" here but could Sims 4 be moved over to the Frostbite engine, would it suit it or Sims 4 evolved into a Sims 5 eventually? The "i" word is plumbed but refers to me!
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    Complete "Engine plum" here but could Sims 4 be moved over to the Frostbite engine, would it suit it or Sims 4 evolved into a Sims 5 eventually? The "i" word is plumbed but refers to me!

Probably not, because it's more suited to RPGs, I think. Sims has always used its own engine because it's literally its own genre at this point

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    So is this going to be like the framework for various games? It could be used differently depending on the game I imagine. I'll have to see how it's presented. Interesting.
    Some of what I'm reading is sounding very promising actually. Not sure I'd want it for a Sims game, but it could work well for a broader experience.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    A game world that changes while I'm offline depending on other players' actions is actually the opposite of what I call immersive. If I want to play in such a world I leave the house, thank you very much.

I like the other idea, though, of the A.I. adapting to our playstyles. The only difficulty will be how to tell it what of the things I'm doing ingame is actually my gameplay. I have a story save that I use solely to illustrate a story I'm making up, not to play the game. In that story save I use cheats that I'd never use in real gameplay (like freezing needs for everyone and adjusting relationships up and down as needed). There needs to be a method to exclude certain sessions from factoring into the user preferences data.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don’t want my Sims game being online and sharing it with other people. That’s my worst nightmare for this series and after the failure of Sim city due to forcing people to be online you would think they would have learned.

But apparently not.

Looks like no one pays attention to history or learning from history's mistakes over at EA. I'm sure they will gain some here, but looks like many of us will be loading up TS2 or TS3 because veteran Simmers made it clear no online and no MMO and no SP that we can't control. Period.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Oh, please don't be The Sims 5. I'd be fine with this as a side game but not part of the main series.

The only part I like is the AI part but I don't play The Sims to play with anybody else. I don't want my sims in other people's games, I don't want the world changing in ways I don't approve. I don't want other players influencing my sims or their worlds. All I want is more control, more options for my control and far less need for being online or even better, no need for being online at all if I don't want to be.

I don't mind the option to play with others being there for those who want it but I also want the option to never have to use it ever. If it was Mario Kart or a sports game I might think about it but with The Sims? No. It may work for some games but in this game each individual player is basically The God of their own game. There is no competition or anything to win at and none of us plays the same way or has the same objectives.

I'm not saying I'm 100% sure this is the way they're taking The Sims but I've been wondering if and getting the feeling that they're still trying to push us in this direction. If this is the way The Sims is going it would seem that all they've taken from those failures in the past is that it didn't work then.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Oh, please don't be The Sims 5. I'd be fine with this as a side game but not part of the main series.

The only part I like is the AI part but I don't play The Sims to play with anybody else. I don't want my sims in other people's games, I don't want the world changing in ways I don't approve. I don't want other players influencing my sims or their worlds. All I want is more control, more options for my control and far less need for being online or even better, no need for being online at all if I don't want to be.

I don't mind the option to play with others being there for those who want it but I also want the option to never have to use it ever. If it was Mario Kart or a sports game I might think about it but with The Sims? No. It may work for some games but in this game each individual player is basically The God of their own game. There is no competition or anything to win at and none of us plays the same way or has the same objectives.

I'm not saying I'm 100% sure this is the way they're taking The Sims but I've been wondering if and getting the feeling that they're still trying to push us in this direction. If this is the way The Sims is going it would seem that all they've taken from those failures in the past is that it didn't work then.

That makes two of us at least. :)
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I don’t want my Sims game being online and sharing it with other people. That’s my worst nightmare for this series and after the failure of Sim city due to forcing people to be online you would think they would have learned.

But apparently not.

Looks like no one pays attention to history or learning from history's mistakes over at EA. I'm sure they will gain some here, but looks like many of us will be loading up TS2 or TS3 because veteran Simmers made it clear no online and no MMO and no SP that we can't control. Period.

Ain’t that the truth.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it”.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018
    Electronic Arts is preparing for the future, and one that is increasingly focused on streaming and cloud technology.

"At EA, we envision a future in which games go even further beyond the immersive experiences players enjoy today," Moss said. "I'm talking about games that offer living, breathing worlds that constantly evolve. You'll play them one day, and when you come back the next, things have changed based on inputs from other players, AI, and even the real world.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-has-1000-people-working-on-a-ridiculously-ambit/1100-6462918/?ftag=GSS-05-10aab8e&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5bda490a1adf640001f82c03&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

From what I heard about that - it is the new S.E.E.D program they've spent several years working on - as that also was said to use Cloud technology. This considered the future of gaming and EA is not the only company headed there. Some of your other fave big studios - are talking the same talk.

Heck even my internet and my Cable went totally high digital last night - took all darn night and I already had super fast service - but I guess I am ready for anything. I have Spectrum business. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I'd prefer not to become anyone's guinea pig unless I willingly signed up for it.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018
    Well look at it this way when the internet was first being talked about - people thought the same thing - and now it is sort of unheard not to have it. The future comes whether or not we want it to. If you use phones, or any connected device it became a part of most people life - we could imagine - next is the ever changing wave of the future, like it or not. We can't stop it - it will be here whether or not we get on board and other ways stop existing.

Can you really imagine not having even what you have now? Believe me I was feeling the same way with all that - thinking it would never happen - it did and came faster than I ever dreamed - never mind changed most of the world even our phones systems. LOL.

It's been in the works long before we know it's happening - so has S.E.E.D.

ETA - I don't know for sure Atlas is part of this - but I find it odd we first learned of seed not all that long ago, and now this and it is planned for all EA's big games. So to me it looks connected - and other big studios are falling in step too of similar directions. So I won't say it's not.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....