Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Speculation. Why We Can't Have An Attraction System

13...Next

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited November 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I have an idea of why this can't include traits. For instance any Sim can gain charisma by telling a joke, or gaining a skill or some skill points just by talking in some manner. Though they could make a chemistry system based on traits or skills or emotions, (at least one included along with other things) it would be hard to keep one Sim from liking another if every Sim is gaining skills just by talking or cooking or whatever. It always bugged me when TS4 Sims would gain a skill by doing nothing, as soon as you added them to the game, bam! they had gained something just by telling a joke or whatever, and would auto do a mean interaction etc. If they built an attraction system on traits, most Sims would be attracted to most Sims.

Let's face it, there aren't that many traits to choose in TS4. Not even the buyable ones. We would have most of our Sims liking most Sims in the game and not much of a way to narrow it down.

Because emotions, traits and skills all overlap too much (and a huge complaint by many) and though they could build an attraction system using these things, it would mean most of our Sims would love anyone they came into contact with. Think on it.

Turn ons and turn offs are completely separate from traits and are included in the chemistry of sims. Like hair color, lifestate, body fat/muscle, career, skill level etc. So your argument really doesn't make much sense.

Sure it does, because this game doesn't even have likes and dislikes does it, and what makes you think they would add those features to the atraction system? maybe not. It was based on the argument that traits and their buffs overlap too much with the buffs of the emotions which would make things more redundant. Of course they could make a more complex system but I doubt it.

I wouldn't possibly want a chemistry system if it didn't include turn ons and offs, I wouldn't even buy the expansion/game pack. What's the point of adding a new system if it's worse than previous versions and has less detail?

That's not what's currently happening. I know retail/restaurant systems have their problems and are not a great example but fame, vampirism, clubs and character values are. I'm sure they would put effort into a chemistry/love system.

O.K. but let's say one of the turn ons is insane trait. Do you realize more than half the homeless have the insane trait? They would have to do some fancy footwork to clean all that up.

Traits/personality points aren't part of turn ons or offs or vice versa. In TS2 personality points translated into zodicas. Zodiacs influence chemistry along with the turn ons or offs and interests. They were separate but worked within the same chemisrty system.

There were multiple turn ons and one turn off. Like you don't want your sim to be in love with a homeless? Make one of their turn ons be employment, it was an option in TS2.

One of the most obvious things you are forgetting though is that regardless of this system you can still choose who your sim marries or dates, they will just have a harder time socializing with each other if they don't have chemistry. Lots of sims will fit the turn ons and turn offs of your sim, you still have the final word as the player.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I have an idea of why this can't include traits. For instance any Sim can gain charisma by telling a joke, or gaining a skill or some skill points just by talking in some manner. Though they could make a chemistry system based on traits or skills or emotions, (at least one included along with other things) it would be hard to keep one Sim from liking another if every Sim is gaining skills just by talking or cooking or whatever. It always bugged me when TS4 Sims would gain a skill by doing nothing, as soon as you added them to the game, bam! they had gained something just by telling a joke or whatever, and would auto do a mean interaction etc. If they built an attraction system on traits, most Sims would be attracted to most Sims.

Let's face it, there aren't that many traits to choose in TS4. Not even the buyable ones. We would have most of our Sims liking most Sims in the game and not much of a way to narrow it down.

Because emotions, traits and skills all overlap too much (and a huge complaint by many) and though they could build an attraction system using these things, it would mean most of our Sims would love anyone they came into contact with. Think on it.

Turn ons and turn offs are completely separate from traits and are included in the chemistry of sims. Like hair color, lifestate, body fat/muscle, career, skill level etc. So your argument really doesn't make much sense.

Sure it does, because this game doesn't even have likes and dislikes does it, and what makes you think they would add those features to the atraction system? maybe not. It was based on the argument that traits and their buffs overlap too much with the buffs of the emotions which would make things more redundant. Of course they could make a more complex system but I doubt it.

I wouldn't possibly want a chemistry system if it didn't include turn ons and offs, I wouldn't even buy the expansion/game pack. What's the point of adding a new system if it's worse than previous versions and has less detail?

That's not what's currently happening. I know retail/restaurant systems have their problems and are not a great example but fame, vampirism, clubs and character values are. I'm sure they would put effort into a chemistry/love system.

O.K. but let's say one of the turn ons is insane trait. Do you realize more than half the homeless have the insane trait? They would have to do some fancy footwork to clean all that up.

Traits/personality points aren't part of turn ons or offs or vice versa. In TS2 personality points translated into zodicas. Zodiacs influence chemistry along with the turn ons or offs and interests. They were separate but worked within the same chemisrty system.

There were multiple turn ons and one turn off. Like you don't want your sim to be in love with a homeless? Make one of their turn ons be employment, it was an option in TS2.

One of the most obvious things you are forgetting though is that regardless of this system you can still choose who your sim marries or dates, they will just have a harder time socializing with each other if they don't have chemistry. Lots of sims will fit the turn ons and turn offs of your sim, you still have the final word as the player.

We are talking about why the system would be redundant if it includes traits and would overlap with too many Sims. As I stated, 90% of homeless townies in TS4 have the insane trait. If that would be a trait you picked for your Sim to like, then they would be attracted to more than half the homeless townies. How is that not clear?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LanieBorneLanieBorne Posts: 74 Member
    If the attraction system is already slightly in the game to an extent, then couldn't the November update bring the attraction system into the open?
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    LanieBorne wrote: »
    If the attraction system is already slightly in the game to an extent, then couldn't the November update bring the attraction system into the open?

There is no attraction system in the game. if there was they wouldn't let it be sitting in the background when there are tons and tons of us asking for it. Its just a rumor that we have that in the game and i have played this game for like, months/years, i would have noticed that.
    And, yes, if there was such thing in the background they could easily surface that in the November update.
    Lets hope i doesnt take more years for them to add that to the game.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    LanieBorne wrote: »

There is no attraction system in the game. if there was they wouldn't let it be sitting in the background when there are tons and tons of us asking for it. Its just a rumor that we have that in the game and i have played this game for like, months/years, i would have noticed that.
    And, yes, if there was such thing in the background they could easily surface that in the November update.
    Lets hope i doesnt take more years for them to add that to the game.

There is no attraction in TS4 True but that doesn't mean they can't implement it. Still I"ve seen nothing romantic getting added to Updates in TS4 so far. In TS3 Attraction and Set Relationship to boy/girlfriend/finacie came in an Update.
  • hellishhellish Posts: 7 New Member
    You all should know by now that there is no way any of this (or anything meaningful) will ever be coming to The Sims 4.
    The current iteration of this game is hopelessly lost to both EA's greed and Maxis's insistence on hype over substance.

I am so completely done with both this game and EA, neither of which will ever get another dollar from me.

Goodbye, The Sims.

Sincerely,
    a hardcore fan and player since 2000.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    hellish wrote: »
    You all should know by now that there is no way any of this (or anything meaningful) will ever be coming to The Sims 4.
    The current iteration of this game is hopelessly lost to both EA's greed and Maxis's insistence on hype over substance.

I am so completely done with both this game and EA, neither of which will ever get another dollar from me.

Goodbye, The Sims.

Sincerely,
    K bye.
    hellish wrote: »

Goodbye, The Sims.

Sincerely,

I might say goodbye when we get our first peek at TS5, that might be the end of my tour of this series. Until then, I keep hoping pointing out what is not in the game may bring some sort of compromise to add a few of the things people want. I have nothing better to do at the moment, so I keep on pointing it out. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    edited November 2018
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Really there's so many things Sims could be attracted to beyond traits and skills but those would be perfectly fine to add as well and could be expanded as more traits slowly come in and I mean slowly.

- Long hair, short hair or medium hair
    - Color of hair
    - Male/Female
    - Facial hair
    - Perfume/Cologne which could be added with the attraction system
    - Walk styles (some might like the masculine walk some might like default or you might have a freaky Sim who loves the goofy walk)
    - Skin tone
    - Tattoos
    - Glasses
    - Hats
    - Makeup or no makeup
    - Attracted to Sims, Vampire or Alien
    - Attracted to fit or fat Sims.
    - Now that clothing is separated Sims could be attracted to Sims wearing just about anything be it a dress, tank top, jacket or a suit as long as that clothing item is in that category.

You hit the nail on the head! All these CAS subcategories would play brilliantly into an attraction system. All we would need is turn-ons/offs in CAS or in the simology tab, and a way to find sims through an app or NPC (TS2 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Matchmaker anyone?). I think TS2 did it pretty well with being able to have one sided attraction which narrows down which sims are compatible with yours, and maybe sometimes being rejected for not being attractive to the other sim? It would be cool gameplay. Also, TS2 had levels of attraction: none to mild to strong, IIRC. This could open up romantic socials quicker or slower depending on attraction level.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    soko37 wrote: »
    That's not how attraction worked. When making a sim in the sims 2 you would pick what your sim was attracted to from options based solely on appearance, shallow but true. You could choose color of hair, makeup, jewelry, physically fit, vampire etc...I don't remember it ever being used for personality traits beside maybe music preference, it has been awhile since I played sims 2. Based off that, sims 4 could have the old attraction system just fine.

Actually, in TS2 it wasn't all superficial appearance-based choices for turn-ons/turn-offs:
    latest?cb=20100223013105
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • rosehrtgirlrosehrtgirl Posts: 252 Member
    I would love to have a chemistry/attraction system in The Sims 4. More complicated than simple. It wouldn't be a good attraction system if it was simple. The Sims 2 chemistry/attraction system was not a simple system. In The Sims 2 the chemistry/attraction system was built on personality, zodiac, turn ons, turn offs, aspiration, pre-existing relationships, and the love Potion. And then their were interests that dealt more with friendship.

I really didn't like The Sims 2 chemistry/attraction system myself because sims seemed to be more attractive to sims that where just like themselves. It was like they married themselves. Very unrealistic since in real life people marry and are attracted to someone that complements them. So in The Sims 4 sims should be attracted to sims with traits that complements their traits. I liked the turn ons/turn offs in The Sims 2 and would like them back in The Sims 4. And since emotion plays a part when it comes to attraction in real life it should be included in the attraction system even if it is variable. Also sims in committed relationships like boyfriend/girlfriend or married should be not be so easy to start a relationship with unless they have traits like noncommittal or player.

• imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    We do have an attraction system! My Sim is highly attracted to the sink. She can't stop going back for more water.
    imhappy wrote: »
    We do have an attraction system! My Sim is highly attracted to the sink. She can't stop going back for more water.

lol, one of my Sims could not stop dancing. Finally had to ban all music.