Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your opinion on custom gallery poses?

Comments

• happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I dislike the custom poses.
    I thought I disliked them because I only ever saw those used for the popular downloads, and they looked ridiculous, like weird contortionists, but I just found the sims of Skellington7d and it changes everything. Sims can show emotion/personnality, and it looks neat when tasteful.
    So my actual answer would be I like them sometimes, and other times I don't.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I like them sometimes, and other times I don't.
    All the ones I have seen I disliked, but there may be some I haven't seen that look fine. Mostly my issue it that they often look really unnatural, because they're realistic model poses forced on to Sims that don't look real (artistically, which I like). Occasionally they'll look okay with tastefully chosen CC.

BUT I do think they should be flagged as CC. Granted it doesn't affect the game, it's just the picture, but it's a weird in between to have a non CC sim with a custom pose. It's not quite CC, but it's not not CC. I think it just depends on your perception.

But based on audience I think that people who use CC are more likely to download a non CC but custom pose sim than non CC players are, simply because with the pose I think people will assume there is CC and not download it anyway.
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I don’t like them when they are just an up close of a Sims’ face and not the full look.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    We at least need a way to filter out the custom poses. Marking them as cc would be a good way. Personally, the use of custom poses is one way to make me view all the content made by creators who use them as garbage. I figure that must be their intention.
  • brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    I don't care one way or the other.
    brenleedee wrote: »
    JC1979 wrote: »
    Hate it...and it’s all the same type of sim, skinny with blonde hair and seemingly squished features...boring.

There was actually an article recently that showed up on my newsfeed about basically what you just wrote. Very few ethnic Sims. My Guy has more of the Native American/Hispanic/Latino look, being part Native American myself, very few portrayed in the gallery and then people want to feud that Native Americans don't have facial hair when someone gives them a bit of growth...I beg to differ lol

Truly need more diversity, not all blonde, blued eyed teen girls.

This one? https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/10/sims-players-want-more-diverse-options-from-fan-made-creations/

I saw your comment and searched some haha Nice to see our discussions on reddit gaining more voices!

Yes that was the discussion, lol, had actually forgot where the source was..so thank you!
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    edited October 2018
    We at least need a way to filter out the custom poses. Marking them as cc would be a good way. Personally, the use of custom poses is one way to make me view all the content made by creators who use them as garbage. I figure that must be their intention.

I don't like the poses either but there is no reason to be disrespectful. People don't create things with the intention to please or displease you.
  • hadklaxhadklax Posts: 467 Member
    Thanks for posting this. I toyed with doing something similar but was worried I would be hounded in the forums by CC fans. I'm pleased to see it's a large number of people who don't actually like them.

I don't dislike them, I absolutely detest them. They look tacky and fake and, even worse, they are everywhere after the gallery update. It really puts me off using the gallery. A large percentage have the touching lip pose which makes the sim look, dare I say it, stupid or worse.

They give you no idea how the sim will actually look in your game and I completely agree that they are CC and should be tagged as such.

I'll be fair and it's a case of each to their own. If you want to include them in your game, that's fine. People's problem is that, in the gallery, it is forced on them and filtering/flagging as CC would help this.
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    They make it hard to see the sims because they're in such strange positions. In addition, it just looks weird next to the regular poses.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited November 2018
    I don't like the look of the poses. Especially when there is so many in the gallery. I wish we could filter out CC. The problem was made worse when the gallery became sorted by popularity. A lot of the poses are unrealistic. I think Sims 4 allows you to randomize the pose in the picture in the vanilla game.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited November 2018
    I appreciate someone went to extra effort for their presentation, and they look good.

But myself, I dread accidentally downloading gallery poses and then having to deal with all my sims in unnatural poses. One more reason I appreciate people who do use them, because that annoys me to no end.

Also this:
    catitude5 wrote: »
    I think they make the sims look better than they really are.
    Is my only real issue with it.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    They look awful and kind of freak me out to be honest.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I dislike them immensely. They don't look like the Sims will in my game, and that's even for the few that aren't full of CC. Plus I'm with @AlbaWaterhouse -- there's something so unnatural about them, like someone broke their bones and reset them badly. The creep me out.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    Don't really care cuz I don't download sims. The only "annoying" thing is that it makes the gallery look very cluttered/messy when you're viewing so many thumbnails like that on one page.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • hadklaxhadklax Posts: 467 Member
    edited November 2018
    I mentioned above that I'm relieved in some ways there is a negative response to these as I thought I was part of a minority. I do feel that CC, modded content and poses has taken over things like the gallery and the creative corners of the forums. I was actually just browsing some the sims creations part of the forum and it was just picture after picture of sims with CC stuff and poses. As I said above, it is each to their own and I have no huge problem with people using it. The problem is, everyone is being stuck with it too haha.
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    I like the custom poses.
    TBH, I like the look of custom poses as they can make a sim headshot more presentable to the eye. Don't like them when they are floating around with multiple sims though
    Oh hamburgers!
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    I like the custom poses.
    Agree with you @Bubbz3388, the poses themselves are fine. Give us a better look at the sims in question assuming the creator used them properly.

The real problem is the many creators who use the poses without having a decent critical eye for what looks good and what looks wonky. There's some great creators who always use custom poses and do a fabulous job showcasing the sims with them....then there's all the rest that really just shouldn't.

Problem is with the artist, not the tools for making the art. But honestly, that's true of the gallery as a whole. Not everyone is as talented as everyone else, but I don't think we should do things that limit the ability of people to share because of it.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Lexera1000Lexera1000 Posts: 22 Member
    I don't care, but usually I don't download sims with custom poses 'cause I'm worried the sim itslef is made using a lot of CC.
    o3fP5ky.jpg

Gallery ID Mimicrysims
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    No thanks. :(
  • MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
    edited August 2019
    I like the custom poses.
    I like them and wish Maxis would use these instead of the default poses. I especially like the closeups. I'm not a fan of all the pop now sims though that all look the same, but I guess that's what people want or they wouldn't be at the top every week. If Maxis employed enhanced poses like these, maybe some of the unknown creators would have a chance to be seen.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    I like the custom poses.
    Marjia wrote: »
    I like them and wish Maxis would use these instead of the default poses. I especially like the closeups. I'm not a fan of all the pop now sims though that all look the same, but I guess that's what people want or they wouldn't be at the top every week. If Maxis employed enhanced poses like these, maybe some of the unknown creators would have a chance to be seen.

I like them too @Marjia :) You're a fab builder and contribute so much to the gallery! Thanks <3

Back to the poses , Im not sure why they bother anyone. Some are quite simple. Just a close up of a sim smiling. The default ones look goofy. It's a bit odd to me when people use cc anyway, but have an issue with poses just because they are fan made and creative. I use them and I dont ever intend on stopping. Mine are just close ups of my sim in a portrait style headshot.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    every time i think the sim looks good and download it, the sim looks all kinds of f'd up and the poses just hid it

one had no chin and a long neck but i didnt see it cause of the pose, was like an alien popped up in cas instead
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited August 2019
    I think it makes it look like the people who are making the sim tried too hard. The EA poses are fine, it's not like it's all that important. Course, if it weren't for these poses, I might have never started making my own sims.
    funny-gifs20.gif

edited August 2019
    I like the custom poses.
    I think it makes it look like the people who are making the sim tried too hard. The EA poses are fine, it's not like it's all that important. Course, if it weren't for these poses, I might have never started making my own sims.

I could say the same thing about cc in general though. I make plenty of sims who look nicer than many sims I see online that have a ton of cc . And yet other still use cc, regardless of non cc Maxis stuff being "just fine". Because customization is fun and sims are seen closer up with most poses.
    I like the custom poses.
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    every time i think the sim looks good and download it, the sim looks all kinds of f'd up and the poses just hid it

one had no chin and a long neck but i didnt see it cause of the pose, was like an alien popped up in cas instead

ive downloaded sims to test cc (i always use my own sims to play) that look just like their picture. its really more of a skill thing, not a pose thing.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I would like to learn to use them, but I find the ubiquity of (usually) female Sims pictured lying on their back in an attempt to be suggestive, kind of annoying. But to each their own.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg