Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your opinion on custom gallery poses?

ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
I wanted to hear other people's opinion on this topic. How do you all feel about custom gallery poses? Do you think they should be flagged as CC? Do you think there's nothing wrong with them? Perhaps you find them distracting and that they make certain sims stand out more than others? Share your point of view!

What's your opinion on custom gallery poses? 313 votes

I dislike the custom poses.
45%
Akl500PLharper322julienrob2004Mstybl95SimsontheropeJasejeepjeepcatxbecky685xSimmySimianTWSimGamer82Colorist40MrsTomato1018ZhakiraPPlayerSinger2010VibseSleepycatDSLsimlish1applefeather2SimburianDJNS 143 votes
I don't care one way or the other.
26%
auroraael14icmnfrshKita5399LaBlue0314EIisabettaSikoahGracemcruddIsb917simm621BloosmooasimbsimMeteoraStormStrangerthanThunderbat87Mizz_Triceymercuryfoamsimgirl1010cchant86JestTruVulori 82 votes
I like the custom poses.
9%
StormkeepThmDovefreindlylolBagoas77goodcakebaker62Foxrox77KolikokolitkalasummerbBigCatlover26Emo-usagi2187Lucofizzfranny89MarjiaBreazonaCherrybug90pinneduphairBusufuElle_AnnemysterionzGamingTweetyMsKatieRose 29 votes
I like them sometimes, and other times I don't.
18%
BlkBarbiegalHowGreatThouArtMylitaAlrynnDJQ1308alejandro15039LadyTigresskeenowJennyggsimgirl542NoTalenthellokitty1496fallenangel66mannannaLadyKynCheiriPixielittlemissgogoTrashmagicSimmerMarsMaggieMarley 59 votes

Comments

• Options
    brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    I don't care one way or the other really, I recently used a pose for a Sim that I have played for a while, the pose was great. He looks good in game and in the pose.

I have downloaded some that look amazing in the pose, and awful in game..so you never know what you're going to get, till you download it and try it.
  • Options
    brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    edited October 2018
    edited comment
    Post edited by brenleedee on
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    I like the custom poses.
    I don't think they should be flagged as CC, since there's no CC on the actual sim. I like custom poses only because the default Maxis poses are so bad. All but one or two of them have very goofy expressions with super raised eyebrows. It is a common complaint that custom poses make sims look better than they actually are (and I do sometimes agree), but I think the default poses do just the opposite - they make your sims look worse.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Since I don't use the gallery for sims, I voted that I don't care because ultimately, this isn't something that affects me.

However, if I were someone who did frequent the gallery looking for sims to download, the custom poses would annoy me. I think what a lot of people don't realize is that part of the process of making these poses is literally editing the base sim mesh, moving the facial bones wherever the creator pleases without discretion. The faces are manipulated in a way that you will never see in CAS or in the game, so you're being presented an image that is different than what you will actually get. Sometimes the difference is only minor, but other times it'll be worse.

The default poses might be kind of goofy and cringy, but since that's the way the sims look and act in the game it's a lot more fitting. They present what you will actually see when you're playing with that sim.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Some of them look pretty nice and natural and others?

Mostly overused and you see nothing but the same ones on the front of the gallery page for whatever is popular at the moment. Too model like really. I don't think it should be flagged as CC, especially if the sims themselves don't have any CC on them.

Definitely could use an official update to gallery poses to have a few more on hand.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    Sometimes I use them, other times I don't and it doesn't bother me when others use them
  • Options
    NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    Some look real, others look stupid, most are the same pose used over and over.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited October 2018
    Most of the time they make the sim look totally different than they do in CAS (or in game). It's the angles and expressions. Sure, they catch the eye but they aren't always accurate so I tend to pass over them.
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited October 2018
    I don't like them at all. I avoid downloading Sims from the gallery if they use custom poses, even if they don't use CC, because it still changes their looks and isn't accurate to what they'll look like in the game or CAS. Plus, most of the custom poses I've seen look weird, unnatural, and/or unnecessarily sexy. I wish we had better options for poses and customizing gallery screenshots in the game, but custom poses still leave much to be desired and don't fit the bill for me.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I have never paid attention to them. I use CAS for all my Sims so I don't download Sims from the gallery.
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Some are really beautiful, others seem anatomically challenging lol But they are all custom content, so they belong in the CC category.

First, more objectively, because I'm downloaing something it's impossible to reproduce in my game without access to especific third parties.
    Second, because I personally think it ruins any visual cohesion on the gallery, to the point there's so much going around on the page that it becomes visual polution.
    Third, not only becomes easier to highlight worthful details but also to hide bad stuff on the picture frame. Also, that way is really hard to compare one creation to another.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    While it does slightly annoy me that the most popular section of the gallery is always filled with sims in the same gallery pose (presumably the latest one released), I don't really care. Then again, I find the entire most popular filter in the gallery annoying, I never used it before it became the default setting.
    As for gallery poses, it's the traits and backstory of a sim that sell them, not how they're posed. Not that I use many Sims from the gallery, usually it's to quickly fill up a test save or something.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    TBH, I don't really care. Perhaps, I rarely upload any household to the gallery. I personally believe that it will be great if EA could adopt it someway.. Although I'm not a fan of CC/Mods, I think the custom poses are pretty unique & creative in its own way.. :)
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    The custom poses are a way to get me to dislike a creator. They do not show off the sim in a good way and I refuse to download them.
  • Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    The only time I actually mind them is when they use the ones that look distasteful to me
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I find them distracting and also it's harder for me to judge whether I want the sim. Some of them look odd too.
  • Options
    keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    Aesthetically I think they look good. But I think they easily stand out more than the regular sims and should be flagged as CC. When I scroll, I easily find my eye drawn to all of the custom poses, they're kind of distracting. Honestly, the types of sims I'm looking for are seldomly the types of barbie-perfect sims people use on custom poses, so I find them rather distracting personally. However, I really like the close up aspect of them and wish such a feature or angle was included in the maxis poses.
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    I don't mind either way but more often than not I find myself downloading Sims with custom poses because they're easier to see and the presentation is just a lot nicer to me than the default we have now.
  • Options
    HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    I don't mind the close-up shots of small smiles. But everything else....eh. Compound that with the fact that the majority of posed Sims have the exact same presets, only different coloring, it gets to be tiring.

I agree that I also look for backstory. Even though the default poses aren't ideal for seeing what a Sim really looks like, if the creator includes a great backstory, most likely they put effort into making a unique Sim as well.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    edited October 2018
    Some of them are too weird and don't come out well. But I'd use them if I could figure out how to mod Sims 4. Have to go back to 3 for that.

I do wish that us non-mod folks had more poses to choose from. But Galleries is a whole other thing in itself.
    keenow wrote: »
    Aesthetically I think they look good. But I think they easily stand out more than the regular sims and should be flagged as CC. When I scroll, I easily find my eye drawn to all of the custom poses, they're kind of distracting. Honestly, the types of sims I'm looking for are seldomly the types of barbie-perfect sims people use on custom poses, so I find them rather distracting personally. However, I really like the close up aspect of them and wish such a feature or angle was included in the maxis poses.

How about the fact that all the women are Romatic and Family-Oriented and all the men are Athletic... very interesting.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I think they make the sims look better than they really are.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I don't have a problem with people using them, I just wish there was an option to filter them off when I want to. It gets to the point where all I can see is poses and I find it a bit distracting. To the point where I have stopped downloading other player created sims from the gallery because (for me) wading through all the poses and trying to see what the sims are actually like (not because poses mask anything, but because they are distracting to my own brain) isn't worth bothering and my neighborhood just gets townies and ones I create myself.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.