March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you incorporate faith/religion in the Sims?

Comments

• GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    I have quite a few sims in my game that I consider religious, mainly those who are based on my religions friends in real life. I've downloaded some Christian-themed CC, like a crucifix for the wall and a painting of Jesus, and made a group that regularly meets in my self-built church to pray (meditate), preach (speaker's desk), sing together and play the organ. Now I'm thinking about making an evil version of that group... >:)
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    Nope... I am a Muslim but I don't think I can even make my sims pray five times a day. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I have a wedding venue that is a church and has a small graveyard, as well. I like having some of my sims get married in a church when it suits thier personalities. For example, in one save my main sim was a young war widow with a child, in the story she was from a small town and was an old fashioned girl. It was more suitable to have her and Johnny Zest marry in a church than a park or backyard.

That was as close as I ever got to having a religious bent in a game.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I don’t incorporate religion into my game. I’m not religious myself, so I’d feel bad if I attempted to and got it wrong.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    That's pretty nifty with mythologies. :heart:

I've made sims of different cultures and what not, but haven't bothered to delved deeper into anything that may revolve around said faith, since sims don't have a concept of such. For the most part it's just cosmetic and wanting to imitate as closely when I look up certain cultures, decor and some traditions that may be common in that culture. Have some Hindu sims I had interest in decorate their home specifically with a lot of references. Haven't quite played around with traditions to make a specific holiday tied into culture just yet

For now, most Sims just worship the almighty llama god.
    ON0ev0U.png

Same, here - all my Sims have a Llama Shrine, because of course they do.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I'm an atheist, but I actually do incorporate some religion into my game. I always assume that if my Sims prayed, it would be to me. So some of my families are more in tune with me. I don't go crazy with it, though. It's just an added layer of play. It was much easier with TS2 and TS3, but the clubs feature in TS4 helps. I just build a church and have certain Sims go there. My Sims make wishes in the wishing well to appease me. Hahaha
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Real religion - never did and never will. I wouldn't create my gods either as I'm not into mythology.
  • cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    No religion , but I do remind them now and then that I am the Sim God in there world.
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    Depends on the save. I actually set up a ‘Religion Challenge’, basically starting with a ‘monk’ and he has to accomplish certain aspirations, skills, etc. But I come at it from a religious theme: ex. Writing ‘religous’ texts, having ‘parties’ with Sims coming to ‘worship’, that kind of thing. It was a fun save, especially when I grew a cow plant and it accidentally died :smiley: Then that became the object of worship in my temple.
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    .....1524232041107.gif

• Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Not really, I'm an atheist myself and had some negative experiences due to religions and usually try to keep my game is neutral as possible considering religion. Sure, I have some sims I imagine being more religious than others, but that's it really. This doesn't apply to holidays though, I always keep Winterfest (which is literally just Christmas) in my save, because it's a holiday everyone in my area celebrates, no matter if they are actually religious or not.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I put churches in most of my games. usually for weddings, and sometimes I'll make holidays based on religious ones, whether real or fictional. So it's there but mostly for flavour.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I am a UU myself, and have downloaded some religious custom content, but for the most part, my Sims just go about their daily life much like I do - The Sims 4 doesn't have a ceremony to attend on Sundays, though I suppose I could add it as a holiday or event for every week. Instead, I prefer my Sims to reflect their faith in their actions, and do not worry myself about what the pixel people believe. Some of them might use one type of religious decoration, others might have a different type of religious decoration. I have added a "Bunny Day", complete with Flower bunny, religious ceremony and egg hunt, and a "Spooky Day" to calendars in some of my saves. Storytelling features prominently on my Spooky Day - it wouldn't be the same without spooky stories. What I don't do is create rival religious clubs and set them against each other. I dislike that level of drama in my game. Sometimes I even move Love Day so it comes before Bunny Day, and I usually add "watch romantic tv" to Love Day.

In one or two of my saves, I also added a Summer Solstice to the calendar since summer had no holidays in it, and in another one, I added an Independence Day, and a "The Big Game" Day. It is too bad they didn't add "Light incense" or "Take mud bath" to the list of holiday traditions that are selectable (it would have been perfect for an "At Home Spa" Day, among other things). "Read book" could have also been a tradition.

I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Nope... I am a Muslim but I don't think I can even make my sims pray five times a day. XD

If they are vampires, they could always do the dark meditation 5 times a day :D The difficulty would be in having them face the proper direction.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • LunaMoon48LunaMoon48 Posts: 22 Member
    It’s never even crossed my mind to bring faith or religion into the Sims. I think it’s a neat idea, but I suppose I often feel restricted by religion in real life so I wouldn’t want to include it in game.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited October 2018
    I have two temples in my game dedicated to RPG deities -- one dedicated to the Lathander from Forgotten Realms, and another to Rymrgand from Pillars of Eternity. Humorously, I always see Summer Holiday at the temple dedicated to the latter. Without fail, Ms Cheery is right there plying her devotion to the god of death and entropy.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    My sims have my both my empire of dirt, and my absence of faith.

Faith in Trash Kan, to be Trashy, is all that my sims need.
    tumblr_p2xpvg5INA1v2n804o1_1280.png
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    All hail the Trashcan Man. Always makes me think of The Stand .. book by Stephen King. Trashy.
    My Life for You! .. I should make a shrine to Randall Flagg. That could be fun.
    egTcBMc.png
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    All hail the Trashcan Man. Always makes me think of The Stand .. book by Stephen King. Trashy.
    My Life for You! .. I should make a shrine to Randall Flagg. That could be fun.

I love this comment and I loved that book. If you happen to make the shrine, I'd be happy to see it.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    kirivian wrote: »
    First off, this is an awesome display of creativity and inspiration. Makes me want to know more! The idea of creating a whole new pantheon and religion for gameplay is fabulously ambitious and compelling. Very much beyond my capacity - although some of my sims practice hybrids of modern and ancient religions. I would be interested to know the nature of the holidays associated with these deities, and some of the more common practices those who worship them might be expected to uphold or follow. Many ancients who worshiped pantheon style deities practiced the worship of the darkest of their deities with equal devotion and regularity to that of their lightest - embracing the concept perforce that the human experience cannot be divided by a code of morality - good and evil must exist in equal measure or neither are valid. Certainly the Celts, Egyptian and Mayans. So I am really intrigued by this. If you're inclined I'd love to learn more about it.

Well to start, the holidays:

Zenith:

Winterfest - 3rd Wednesday of Winter
    yFWI83l.png
    Winter is the most sacred season of the year, and Zenith is the original Father Winter ;)

New Year's Eve - last Sunday of Winter
    3GMsNOw.png

Janus Day - last Monday of Winter
    0D5VMhM.png
    Basically New Year's Day, a perfect day for sobering up from a raucous late night of partying

Aatar:

Hanukkah - 2nd Wednesday of Winter
    FZun49A.png
    What can I say? I like the Jews and I wanted this holiday to fit somewhere...

Festival of Lights - 2nd Wednesday of Summer
    yCA6xNT.png

Gwynn:

Gwynn's Day - 1st Saturday of Winter
    4hIy9xv.png
    A very random holiday for a very random goddess; don't ask

Alithia:

May Day - last Friday of Spring
    TxggzWn.png
    Basically a second-chance holiday to right wrongs and air out differences and start again

Hannai:

Day of Wisdom - 3rd Tuesday of Autumn
    GoGEk0a.png

Verloren:

Verloren's Day - last Friday of Winter
    dh39p2v.png
    A gloomier, colder Day of the Dead

Arashi:

Arashifest - 1st Friday of Spring
    RDJ82Bx.png
    It's the more naughty, adult version of Easter ;)

Anankos:

Harvestfest - last Thursday of Autumn
    jvDxrdU.png

Rhiannon:

Family Day - 2nd Sunday of Autumn
    FBQZZGN.png

Aesir:

Newbloom - 1st day of Spring
    UjLGIz3.png
    The child-friendly version of Easter; sometimes can be considered secular

Jubilea:

Jubilation Day - 3rd Sunday of Spring
    HC9xS5Q.png
    We're pretty much celebrating her 'birthday'

Abraxas:

Abraxas Day - 1st day of Summer
    7TLGAc4.png
    What better day to start cooling off?

Lydia:

Lydia's Day - 3rd Saturday of Summer
    qv5eCUa.png
    Love Day #2 but religious

Fenghuang:

Fang's Day - last day of Summer
    a0wWeGG.png
    As with the controversial Divine this holiday's tied to, this may or may not be widely celebrated among believers

Misc:

Samhain - 3rd Friday of Autumn
    WuQTsxt.png
    It's actually more a mix of the pagan Samhain, Day of the Dead, and Halloween; the holiday can also easily be attributed to multiple Divines

Love Day - 3rd Friday of Spring
    DCFqKTH.png
    The more secular holiday; sometimes given to Lydia as well
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    In previous iterations of the sims I've tried to incorporate a bit of religion into my game. Before CL and the park venue with the wedding stuff I downloaded a lot from the gallery with a little chapel for weddings. The whole mythos you create OP is impressive. Amazingly creative. And with the clubs system I could actually see one day creating a religion or cult in game. Holidays even improves that feature.

I too really enjoyed the religious aspects of Medieval. I don't think I'd be opposed to the devs adding a pack with something similar in game, but I can completely understand why they wouldn't.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I don't incorporate religion itself into my gameplay, but I incorporate visible representations of it, mostly in terms of Sims' appearance. It's important to me that the Sims in my world be representative of all the people I see around me. For that, I have sometimes turned to CC, especially for modest clothing for women, which has been a struggle with what's in game. It's about reflecting what I see around me living in a city that's very much a mosaic of the world (plus adding aliens & vampires).
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    edited October 2018
    I do every Sunday as a holiday where the only requirement is to attend a holiday ceremony. This represents them going to church. I call the holiday Sunday Services.
  • FireftrLtFireftrLt Posts: 54 Member
    I don't specifically incorporate any religion in my games. I tend to name Sims born to controlled Sims with names from ancient mythology or The Bible (the more unusual names). I then try to set them up with personalities that match the particular character.
  • americanamelieamericanamelie Posts: 36 Member
    If I had the EP that include holidays and festival, I would give them faith based celebrations. I would make them followers of my own cultural heritage's ancient ways: a mix of persian zoroastrianism and slavic pagan rodnovery. Holidays of the elements, plants and animals, New Year in the spring (Nowroz), Egg Day (Dyngus), Yuletide (like xmas), Day of the dead (Dziady in Polish, which is also celebrated on Nov 1 like the mexican dia de los muertos) and the holiday of romance/longest day of year (Noc Kupaly) will be on sims calendar when I get seasons! Also including sim sacrifice would be fun lol.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top