Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to deal with smaller worlds- Enable Multi Use Lots and TS2 Style apts

Multi-Use lots

Give us the ability to proper generic community lots, not like how current generic lots work where no one comes. I mean like in TS1 and TS2 where it’s just a community lot and you can build a really mall or whatever.

Go one step further and allow simmers to highlight areas (not rooms, just areas so that you can have full control) and choose what type of lot it is. So for example you could highlight an area inside a gym and designate it as a cafe, and highlight another area at the gym and designate it as retail. Partial retail areas can be purchased or rented by prospective store owners.

Apartments

Bring back Sims 2 style apartments and allow us to build outside of San Myshuno. It will help a lot with space issues.

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I would love multi-use lots. It would open up a lot of possibilities and also combination of different functions.
    I also don't understand why some objects just don't work on some lots. For examples bars should automatically have a bartender on all public lots.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Yes to the multi-use Lots!
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Yes please to both!
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Personally I just like it how it was done in the first and second games. I remember in Sims 2 you could just add whatever you liked on a lot and sims will just use them. Small grocery store/clothing store/small cafe/community pool. Didn't even matter. Sims just used them.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    This would be my dream!!! I've always wanted multi uses lots in sims 4 . U can make them work by using club system from GTG but it need a lot of work and when they die you have to make new different clubs to those community lots.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I agree with both ideas.

I was pretty dumbfounded when I found out TS4 would not be giving us TS2-functional apartments, and instead gave us a more limited TS3-styled setup. It just would have been the best solution for TS4’s closed and smaller sized worlds, and it still is beyond me how EA wouldn’t try to replicate that for this iteration.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    At minimum, dual lots would make a big difference.
    A cafe/library
    A bar/bowling
    A restaurant/playground
    A pool/gym
    A spa/cafe
    Etc.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Okto84Okto84 Posts: 198 Member
    Yes! This is something I want to see. Being able to build more interesting lots like this would be awesome.

I suggested a while ago that having a checkbox list for which NPCs show up on community lots would be a great addition. The game already supports this somewhere in the code, we just can't adjust it.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    I agree totally with this! I would love to build a small town on a 64x64 lot and designate each building as a different type. That would be awesome!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I would absolutely love this. One of my biggest complaints about Sims 4 since the very beginning is I can't send one sim to the library and another to the gym at the same time. I already make multi-use lots, but being able to flag them as such would be great.
  • littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    I'd really love to see TS2-style apartments make a comeback, maybe as townhouses? Something a bit different style-wise from the CL apartments without taking away from one of CL's main selling points.
    6riwm5.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    As for apartments, it would help if they’d introduce the roommate system.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I would give almost anything for an in-game apartment tool. I could see it functioning like the current "custom room tool", letting you draw lines and click at points to define an overall boundary for each apartment.

Of course, it's never ever going to happen, because letting people build apartments anywhere would practically invalidate one of the major selling points of City Living.
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    I absolutely agree! Generic lots are not as good in Sims 4 as they were in Sims 3. I preferred Sims 3 where npc's would use multiple items within one generic lot. Sims 4 is so restricting! Why???
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Yeah, I agree the generic lots stink when it comes to items that are basically for NPC usage like the food stalls.
    Also, YES! I would love to see the TS2 Apartment style brought into the TS4 where you could build and apartment building on any lot. It was much easier to control multiple households that way.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    I'd love to have this, but I'd also like for lots to be bigger. Most ts4 lots are VERY small even though there's a lot of empty space around them
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    We definitely need this. If we had both options, I wouldn't be quite as frustrated with the small worlds.
  • SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    Excellent idea. I'm not a builder and I always feel frustrated by the lack of space that I just want more worlds like Newcrest so that I can have more freedom which never bothered me in previous Sims games (at least on PC). That is certainly one of the major flaws of this iteration by far .
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018
    No - too much like work. They need to offer that stuff in each world as I don't like playing a game where I have to jump through hoops to do it. It is why I don't use CC or modes during a developing game. Not worth the hassle of doing anything not part of the games mechanics when a patch is just going to mess things up sooner or later. First of all homes need 8 players and not 4 on each side with locked doors and you still having to heavy hand them going into their own places with out pitching fits. Deal with enough real life fits in real life - don't need it in my game.

Not allowing renting in world but CL really messes up the money and perception of even living in an apartment because they are not recognized as separate households. If you spend a lot of money on one apt - and nothing on the other the whole house pays. That is not right nor am I willing to sit there and try to keep all that straight. There is no way you can truly keep those families separate with out 100 percent constant juggling and pretending something exists that does not. It needs to be a part of that world or it needs not faked - at least for me it is like that. I just hate hassles.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Writin_Reg wrote: »
    No - too much like work. They need to offer that stuff in each world as I don't like playing a game where I have to jump through hoops to do it. It is why I don't use CC or modes during a developing game. Not worth the hassle of doing anything not part of the games mechanics when a patch is just going to mess things up sooner or later. First of all homes need 8 players and not 4 on each side with locked doors and you still having to heavy hand them going into their own places with out pitching fits. Deal with enough real life fits in real life - don't need it in my game.

Not allowing renting in world but CL really messes up the money and perception of even living in an apartment because they are not recognized as separate households. If you spend a lot of money on one apt - and nothing on the other the whole house pays. That is not right nor am I willing to sit there and try to keep all that straight. There is no way you can truly keep those families separate with out 100 percent constant juggling and pretending something exists that does not. It needs to be a part of that world or it needs not faked - at least for me it is like that. I just hate hassles.

Okay, you do you, but the option should be there for the rest of us who would use these features.

Lots are boring right now. I really wish we had a system like ts2's.

This game just makes no sense to me anymore. No bowling alleys or arcades...can't give my museum a small gift shop. Can't have a movie dine out.

It's just... what's the point of so much stuff if sims don't use it
    DreamaDove wrote: »

Okay, you do you, but the option should be there for the rest of us who would use these features.

This game just makes no sense to me anymore. No bowling alleys or arcades...can't give my museum a small gift shop. Can't have a movie dine out.

It's not a feature is my problem - you are pretending - it's not in the mechanics of the game and that often leads to weird bug problems. I find it unusual that I do not have any of the bugs people say they have in this game - never once had teleport jumps, never once had any simulation lag or any kind of lag, not once had sims not communicating in bars or cafe. I don't even get dinners not sitting while eating or interruption from other sims when out to eat - my sims meals at restaurants are about 3 hours not all day like some people say. They fixed it in a patch a long time ago - and my patch apparently works still as i haven't got that issue back ever again. I also donot use mods, CC, or cheats. I stay connected to Origin and allow full monitoring of my game all the time with no issues. How can you explain all that? I do nothing special just run the way they advise - and it works and I get no issues.

Every time you use a debug cheat - like moo or build cheats it sets you gae up for instability as debug cheat have always had a history of those kinds of problem. Dev cheats are even worse and why they actually removed lots of access to many of them. Your game can practically become unfixable with out a complete reinstall with none of your old content added - they carry over in saves even. Developing games where they recode and patch things is not a good idea to use any of those things. I learned it way back in the very first Sims games.

It is just advice and I have seen since the very first sims game the difference. You add to that even gaming rigs in laptop form is still an issue as I notice they are more prone to many of those issues than newly built desktop gaming rigs. Another thing is since Sims 3 AMD's are more stable with Sims games than even faster I-7's desktop gaming rigs which I have never figured out. In Sims 3 it was understandable because I heard EA did not get to test the I-7 with the Sims3 as the company refused to let them try the new chips at that time - but I have no idea why that is still a mild issue in as they are no longer a secret..

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited November 2018

Every time you use a debug cheat - like moo or build cheats it sets you gae up for instability as debug cheat have always had a history of those kinds of problem.

Oh wow, you don't even use moo???? wow.

Well that's.... that's just not the game I want to the play. I find ts4 boring and ugly without cc and cheats. Ts4 should be about giving us the control that we want to do things our way, and that includes how we set up lots. It'd certainly introduce bugs and glitches but if the team was better at coding play tested better before releasing a pack a lot of that could be avoid. I don't think that dumbing the game down is an effective way to solve the bugs issue since it almost makes it not fun for a lot of us. And if a game is not fun it doesn't sell well.

I still don't get it though since for the first couple months I played ts4 I did not even know about custom content or cheats and I would get massive lag where all my sims would stop what they're doing for a while until their actions loaded and they'd continue again. It was creepy and did not stop until i started using mods, specifically the Simulation Fix mod. I now have like, 13gb worth of cc and I don't get lag, but if I play with no cc and no simulation fix mod then I get the lag. Makes no sense to me- not to mention that then I have to deal with a lot of bugs and questionable 'features' like getting calls at 3am, weird outfits, washing dishes in the bathroom, prepping food in the bathroom, and a whole lot more that mods fix for me.

besides, making mods is fun too. If you generally know what you're doing then you don't mess up the game with mods. But there's things, like multi-use lot traits, that mods can't do.
    edited November 2018

Every time you use a debug cheat - like moo or build cheats it sets you gae up for instability as debug cheat have always had a history of those kinds of problem.

Well that's.... that's just not the game I want to the play. I find ts4 boring and ugly without cc and cheats. Ts4 should be about giving us the control that we want to do things our way, and that includes how we set up lots. It'd certainly introduce bugs and glitches but if the team was better at coding play tested better before releasing a pack a lot of that could be avoid. I don't think that dumbing the game down is an effective way to solve the bugs issue since it almost makes it not fun for a lot of us. And if a game is not fun it doesn't sell well.

I still don't get it though since for the first couple months I played ts4 I did not even know about custom content or cheats and I would get massive lag where all my sims would stop what they're doing for a while until their actions loaded and they'd continue again. It was creepy and did not stop until i started using mods, specifically the Simulation Fix mod.

No - moo is one of the worse that can turn on you when you least expect it. It was designed for use with boolprop in Sims 2 and a dev cheat as well as powerful debug tool. Sims 2 had a lot of warnings about using it outside of it's reset feature that it used to have. The grab tool was powerful - but leaving it on any length of time could even mess up all your games. Require a uninstall, reinstall in Sims 2 because of it was a nightmare as Sims 2 had to go back in order among other things - not in order how you bought it - but order as each pack came out. But because of all that tool did people didn't listen and used it anyway.Floor constraints were another no-no people used - they call them cheats and they are not.

When Sims 3 came out and no boolprop control MOO lost a lot of it's ability - but still had things people liked about it so Maxis did make it available but warned people not to leave it on. Place something and shut it off. Over time it still developed issues. I once spent 8 months of my own time helping a simmer who had built a gorgeous world in CAW removing every single bit of mooed building and decorated yards in the game that turned her lovely world into mush and made it unusable - as moo give no warning when it goes poof.

So I well know how nice you can fix up things with moo but I also know well the damage it can do eventually. You can still see the warning of using the tool in the old Sims 2 SimsWiki if you find the right post. They had to do a lot to it to even get it to work in Sims 4 and it still causes issues especially with Gallery downloads - I know so I no longer ever download any gallery design that uses it or sooner or later it creates issues. I can't stand issues.

In dreams - I LIVE!

I still don't get it though since for the first couple months I played ts4 I did not even know about custom content or cheats and I would get massive lag where all my sims would stop what they're doing for a while until their actions loaded and they'd continue again. It was creepy and did not stop until i started using mods, specifically the Simulation Fix mod.

No - moo is one of the worse that can turn on you when you least expect it. It was designed for use with boolprop in Sims 2 and a dev cheat as well as powerful debug tool. Sims 2 had a lot of warning about using it outside of it's reset feature that it used to have. The grab tool was powerful - but leaving it on any length of time could even mess up all your games. Require a uninstall, reinstall in Sims 2 because of it was a nightmare as Sims 2 had to go back in order among other thing - not in order how you bought it - but order as each pack came out. But because of all that tool did people didn't listen and used it anyway.Floor constraints were another no-no people used - they call them cheats and they are not.

When Sims 3 came out and no boolprop control MOO lost a lot of it's ability - but still had things people liked about it so Maxis did make it available but warned people not to leave it on. Place something and shut it off. Over time it still developed issues. I once spent 8 month od my own time helping a simmer who had built a world in CAW removing every single bit of mooed building and decorated yards in the game that turned her lovely world into mush and made it unusable - as moo give no warning when it goes poof.

So I well know how nice you can fix up thing with moo but i also know well the damage it can do eventually.

but.... this is the Sims 4... is the team so incompetent they keep making the same mistakes?

no need to bring up the earlier iterations, though these had vast and dynamic gameplay. Ts4 doesn't really have that, so it needs to at least look pretty lol

edited November 2018

No - moo is one of the worse that can turn on you when you least expect it. It was designed for use with boolprop in Sims 2 and a dev cheat as well as powerful debug tool. Sims 2 had a lot of warning about using it outside of it's reset feature that it used to have. The grab tool was powerful - but leaving it on any length of time could even mess up all your games. Require a uninstall, reinstall in Sims 2 because of it was a nightmare as Sims 2 had to go back in order among other thing - not in order how you bought it - but order as each pack came out. But because of all that tool did people didn't listen and used it anyway.Floor constraints were another no-no people used - they call them cheats and they are not.

When Sims 3 came out and no boolprop control MOO lost a lot of it's ability - but still had things people liked about it so Maxis did make it available but warned people not to leave it on. Place something and shut it off. Over time it still developed issues. I once spent 8 month od my own time helping a simmer who had built a world in CAW removing every single bit of mooed building and decorated yards in the game that turned her lovely world into mush and made it unusable - as moo give no warning when it goes poof.

So I well know how nice you can fix up thing with moo but i also know well the damage it can do eventually.

but.... this is the Sims 4... is the team so incompetent they keep making the same mistakes?

no need to bring up the earlier iterations, though these had vast and dynamic gameplay. Ts4 doesn't really have that, so it needs to at least look pretty lol

It is not incompetence - of the team - those tools were designed for building the game not for people to use in their game. That is why they are Dev tools and why they are for their use - not ours. We are the incompetant ones for using dev tools and calling them cheats. We also do not listen when we use them the warnings they give us about turning them off. The game mechanics are seeing the game in repair or test mode not play mode - they know this and use them as designed - we don't as often you hear I never turn it off or worse turn it on before you place a building is just nuts. But every one does it and sooner or later it will create issues you can't just fix by removing it.

The only thing that fixes it is a complete reinstall and a brand new game and no content added to your game that used it. Not many people will listen to that so the issues eventually comeback. Saves will carry the affect. Whether in a save game or even from the gallery. But don't blame devs who use it right for what it ws designed for to players who like the look and convenience and break their own games. Dev tools are made for devs. Game cheats are usable by user like reset sim. Like motherlode. Like Free realestate. Those are cheats not dev tools or debug tools. Debug anything is not really designed for user use either - lots of people use debug placement and debug content because it is easier than getting it using the game mechanics and earning the ones you should get. They call it the debug cheat - it's not.

It is necessary to bring up when you are using a part of the same tool with half it's control not even used in the game mechanics any more. I f it did not matter I would not bring it up. I know what I went through helping people with what it did to Sims 3 as well. I did not have too but I choose to help my friends fix all their hard work.

By the way types of lag and hesitation, and certain jump bugs (like people call the teleport jump in Sims 4) are all signs of moo acting up. I n Sims 3 it also cause stuck sims as badly as broken routing caused the same issue seeing moo broke routing. Sims 4 has smart routing so instead of breaking it - they walk through things they shouldn't or teleport some where else. Just to add it is not as dangerous as in Sims 2, and not as disruptive as in Sims 3 - but it is also still troublesome in particular when used in any sims path or anywhere they have to interact with - like some counter, some shelves - etc. It is presently in it's least disruptive state yet - but it still can create issues. I will never use anything that creates issues in my gmae - but because of it - I don't get many issues at least I don't get issues not every one get. LIke I get the stinky leaf piles so it is an actual bug in the game. I did get the freezing sims near gyms that was a bug since fixed - well it is fixed in my game. That is what I mean.

In dreams - I LIVE!