Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The lot sizes in Del Sol Valley are ridiculous

13...Next

Comments

• dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    dizzydee_k wrote: »
    After watching the Gurus' CAS and Acting LP, it seems that maybe they made the lots so big because they figured we'd be building sets on them. Can't really imagine doing that on a residential lot and will just have to wait and see how "sets" play on community lots. Do other Sims watch your Sim "acting" on a set if it's in a park or a bar?

See that’s another excuse I don’t like. Why assume everyone would wanna use the sets outside of the studio? One big lot over there could have been fine with the rest being smaller :/

1. Please don't mischaracterize my comment. I observed and speculated.
    2. You may feel the developers made "wrong" decisions, but that doesn't make their decisions "wrong" or in error needing to be excused.
    3. Invective is not "Feedback."
    4. Yes, I too get upset and frustrated by aspects of the game. Sometime I feel the developers' decisions are "stupid." But then someone reminds me: It's just a game. I can enjoy it "warts and all" or I can give it up.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    If I keep Del Sol Valley residential (still on the fence) I'll probably make the 50x40 a large urban park, especially since the small park in the downtown area is becoming a formalwear shop. I'll put in basketball, picnic areas, play equipment, etc. Maybe some sort of community center building, then I can use the mural objects from CL and have them covered in graffiti. I'll probably put a boarding house on one of the 40x30 lots for up and coming stars, and I might move my Mean Vibe bar from Oasis Springs to that neighborhood, adding some of the Vampire holes and cracks to make it look really run down.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    CK213 wrote: »
    To those complaining about the size of this world remember Forgotten Hollow is much smaller and Magnolia Promanade as well.

Both are the least used and least interesting to me of all the worlds.
    Windenburg, Brindleton Bay, and Newcrest are my favorite worlds. :)

I actually like Magnolia Promenade because it's my entertainment district. I was able to edit The Blue Velvet down to a 20x20 lot and place it there, along with a 20x20 bar. The 40x30 lot has a nightclub, and the 30x20 is currently a karaoke bar. That way I could take those venues out of worlds like Willow Creek. Good place to send couples to hang out without being on an official "date". They can start at the bar, then hit the nightclub for some dancing before winding up the night at the karaoke bar.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,861 Member
    If I keep Del Sol Valley residential (still on the fence) I'll probably make the 50x40 a large urban park, especially since the small park in the downtown area is becoming a formalwear shop. I'll put in basketball, picnic areas, play equipment, etc. Maybe some sort of community center building, then I can use the mural objects from CL and have them covered in graffiti. I'll probably put a boarding house on one of the 40x30 lots for up and coming stars, and I might move my Mean Vibe bar from Oasis Springs to that neighborhood, adding some of the Vampire holes and cracks to make it look really run down.

These are all great ideas. I'd already decided to make a boarding house for 8 sims but hadn't thought about a nice community park.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,861 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    To those complaining about the size of this world remember Forgotten Hollow is much smaller and Magnolia Promanade as well.

Both are the least used and least interesting to me of all the worlds.
    Windenburg, Brindleton Bay, and Newcrest are my favorite worlds. :)

I actually like Magnolia Promenade because it's my entertainment district. I was able to edit The Blue Velvet down to a 20x20 lot and place it there, along with a 20x20 bar. The 40x30 lot has a nightclub, and the 30x20 is currently a karaoke bar. That way I could take those venues out of worlds like Willow Creek. Good place to send couples to hang out without being on an official "date". They can start at the bar, then hit the nightclub for some dancing before winding up the night at the karaoke bar.

Lol, I'm actually taking notes of your posts. :p
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    After watching the Gurus' CAS and Acting LP, it seems that maybe they made the lots so big because they figured we'd be building sets on them. Can't really imagine doing that on a residential lot and will just have to wait and see how "sets" play on community lots. Do other Sims watch your Sim "acting" on a set if it's in a park or a bar?

See that’s another excuse I don’t like. Why assume everyone would wanna use the sets outside of the studio? One big lot over there could have been fine with the rest being smaller :/

2. You may feel the developers made "wrong" decisions, but that doesn't make their decisions "wrong" or in error needing to be excused.
    4. Yes, I too get upset and frustrated by aspects of the game. Sometime I feel the developers' decisions are "stupid." But then someone reminds me: It's just a game. I can enjoy it "warts and all" or I can give it up.

My comment had nothing to do with you personally. And there are excuses for everything. Why they can and can’t do something they’ve done before or do in the future.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Rebbilina wrote: »
    I know that we're all disappointed of Del Sol Valley's size in terms of lot numbers, but the lot sizes are also really off. Found this tweet with the different sizes and I really don't know what we're meant to do with especially Mirage Park. The Pinnacles are fine. Starlight boulevard is alright, though I'm personally not a fan of 20x20 and 30x30, since there aren't a lot of those lots on the gallery. Also, why is there a national park in there? I know we can remove it, but I really don't see the point.

That aside, what are we meant to do with Mirage Park? It's meant to be this cheaper area for sims that are just starting out, but the lots are huge. I was really looking forward for some smaller lots for townhouses in the city, maybe 20x15 or 20x30, max, but I really don't see how I could make a townhouse look good on those huge lots. It doesn't make sense at all that sims that are just staring out would live on a huge lot. I've never been to LA, but from what I know, house prices are high and I don't see how that translates into poorer sims living on a huge city lot.

Are we? We?! Don't lump me in with your complaining.
    You can always build upwards though, the pack is just giving us different options. Isn't that what "you" want?

Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member

I just have to say I love this point. Bravo. It's my new favorite word.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    I'm not disappointed in the number of lots and I really like that we have huge lots. We usually get mostly small-medium lots. The larger lots will allow more experimentation with the new terrain tools. The houses can be normal sized, but you can have a mountain/cliff/valley/etc on your lot because there will be room for it.
  • BambooramBambooram Posts: 222 Member
    Maybe Mirage Park has big lots to make it more expensive to live there, simulating how expensive it is to live in Hollywood. My wife lives in a city outside of Los Angeles and she has to live with three other people in an apartment to make it work with the pay they’re getting... so maybe this is what they’re going for?
    HV83B28.png
    Bambooram wrote: »
    Maybe Mirage Park has big lots to make it more expensive to live there, simulating how expensive it is to live in Hollywood. My wife lives in a city outside of Los Angeles and she has to live with three other people in an apartment to make it work with the pay they’re getting... so maybe this is what they’re going for?

Sorry to be instrusive but why aren’t you and your wife living together?

• BambooramBambooram Posts: 222 Member

Oh trust me, we’re working on it!
    I live in Denmark so it comes with a lot of paperwork and financial planning.
    We met online and have been doing long distance ever since we met.
    For now we travel back and forth to see each other and we’re making it work, until we can move in together.
    HV83B28.png
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I had to visit this thread. I usually don't have complaints, but I've got one now. There's a home I've been itching to build for quite some time. I've been waiting for the perfect 'hood to use. I need at least a 40x40 lot to do it right. I want to build the Stahl House. You may not know it by name, but you've probably seen it.

The large lot in the poor neighborhood is the right size but not the right place. The 64x64 lot is in the right neighborhood, but it's too large.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    I had to visit this thread. I usually don't have complaints, but I've got one now. There's a home I've been itching to build for quite some time. I've been waiting for the perfect 'hood to use. I need at least a 40x40 lot to do it right. I want to build the Stahl House. You may not know it by name, but you've probably seen it.

The large lot in the poor neighborhood is the right size but not the right place. The 64x64 lot is in the right neighborhood, but it's too large.

It has always been this way and I have the same issue too, when I find a perfect place the lot size was too big or small, when I found the perfect lot size I hated the surrounding, defeat the whole purpose spending so much time on a beautiful house when the surrounding does not fit into theme. So out of few choices of lots types, if I can find one or two the most suitable I consider myself lucky ;)

The Sims Game
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member

The two other lots in The Pinnacles are 50x40 though, same size as the lot in Mirage Park.

Oh trust me, we’re working on it!
    I live in Denmark so it comes with a lot of paperwork and financial planning.
    We met online and have been doing long distance ever since we met.
    For now we travel back and forth to see each other and we’re making it work, until we can move in together.

Awwwwwww <3 I love hearing stories about long distance relationships working out. I hope you two will be together for good no later than next year.

Simpkin wrote: »
    Rebbilina wrote: »
    I know that we're all disappointed of Del Sol Valley's size in terms of lot numbers, but the lot sizes are also really off. Found this tweet with the different sizes and I really don't know what we're meant to do with especially Mirage Park. The Pinnacles are fine. Starlight boulevard is alright, though I'm personally not a fan of 20x20 and 30x30, since there aren't a lot of those lots on the gallery. Also, why is there a national park in there? I know we can remove it, but I really don't see the point.

That aside, what are we meant to do with Mirage Park? It's meant to be this cheaper area for sims that are just starting out, but the lots are huge. I was really looking forward for some smaller lots for townhouses in the city, maybe 20x15 or 20x30, max, but I really don't see how I could make a townhouse look good on those huge lots. It doesn't make sense at all that sims that are just staring out would live on a huge lot. I've never been to LA, but from what I know, house prices are high and I don't see how that translates into poorer sims living on a huge city lot.

Are we? We?! Don't lump me in with your complaining.
    You can always build upwards though, the pack is just giving us different options. Isn't that what "you" want?

You can also build downwards -- I think we're getting one or two more basement levels.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    we are getting two more basement levels with the pre-famous patch. for a total of 8 buildable levels, 4 up, 4 down
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited November 2018
    I'm in the minority here, but I'm really not troubled by this. I know some people have a really hard time understanding that, but I spend 90% of my sim play time in Forgotten Hollow. It doesn't get much smaller than that. Before vampires arrived, My sims lived and worked in Magnolia Promenade, and I rarely left. The rest of my worlds were empty outside of a few parks.

My sims leave to festivals in the common areas of San Myshuno or to travel to Selvadorada on vacation. Occasionally, I will also visit the countryside of Windenburg to take screenshots at the standing stones, but literally the rest of the lots are empty. Like I went through and bulldozed every lot in the game, and I use that as my default "New Save" when I want to start a new save. This lets me plop down the setting I want easily (sci-fi, fantasy, realistic, medieval etc) quickly and easily. IF I fill a world, it's only ever one world. In my current save, I have Forgotten Hollow filled completely, the sub-neighborhood by the docks in Brindleton Bay, and Selvadorada is as shipped. That's it. Every other neighborhood is empty.

I think I'm one of the few simmers that are just plain sick of standard non fantasy worlds. I want more features, not another neighborhood. :/ I have more lots than I know what to do with, and would rather have witches, werewolves, farms, horses, unicorns, alien colonies, etc. Now, if I could be a mermaid and live UNDER the water in a mermaid neighborhood, heck yes! Bring that baby on!!! Another standard normal setting that locks me into 21st century building styles due to background FX... no thank you. I will pass! Unless they're going to let my sims live on Sixam or some truly unique setting like that, I'm not even remotely interested in more neighborhoods or lots.

I won't use these lots, unless the Gurus rocked serious socks and gave the backgrounds a wooded country feel along the mountainside there. I need settings that are multipurpose and don't have pesky FX architecture interfering with the lot architecture. So, for me, the size, shape, location, or designation of the lots holds little interest. I'm not mad that there is a new neighborhood, but I'm not excited about it either. It's one of those features that I'm glad are in the game for the people who want those things but have no relevance to me because that's not what I'm personally looking for.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
    happyopi wrote: »

The two other lots in The Pinnacles are 50x40 though, same size as the lot in Mirage Park.

I should have mentioned I don't want to move or displace any families. Maybe I have no choice? It's possible I'll change my mind once I get a hold of the new terrain tools.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
    Sonia016 wrote: »

It has always been this way and I have the same issue too, when I find a perfect place the lot size was too big or small, when I found the perfect lot size I hated the surrounding, defeat the whole purpose spending so much time on a beautiful house when the surrounding does not fit into theme. So out of few choices of lots types, if I can find one or two the most suitable I consider myself lucky ;)

Last night and tonight after work I attempted a slightly smaller scale build of that house on a 30x40 lot. The bad part is even making it slightly smaller than it is in real life made me realize I'd need a basement for extra room. On the other hand, it looks good with some of the items from Bowling Night and the base game.
  • ThisISMariaThisISMaria Posts: 104 Member
    edited November 2018
    There's like 7 beachfront houses there and we don't even have the option to at least build on them. I'm not a programmer but I doubt it's that hard to just shove a bunch of plots down for us to work on ourselves. However that wouldn't be good for EA, because time is money. Us as a community deserve a Create A World edit mode before they even THINK about making Sims 5.
    Cute-Russian-Girl-Smiles-Waves-For-The-Camera-Russia-At-The-2014-Fifa-World-Cup.gif
  • dokamito154dokamito154 Posts: 8 New Member
    also, do you guys remembered that simguruGrant actually confirmed us that DSV is gonna be a typical world size like the other worlds? He said it before the SimsCamp.... omg smh... now I remembered why I'm freaking disappointing in this team... gosh!

""
    Back then it was the open world.. Now it was for the performance? Gosh, I just want to fed up with this company already.. Why did you guys focused on outside visual when you literally can cut that "outside visual" corner just like what you guys did which is cut the corner which is the lots size and replace it with more lots? I mean if you're gonna make peoples feel like this is LA, or a "big" world, why did you guys spend nonsense time to do the visuals that literally no sims can even interact with it?! Such a waste oppurtunity to both sides. First side is that they kept the beautiful visual, and up the lot sizes just like what WINDENBURG was. The second one, they cut the visual corner so that they can have a reason for it to have more lots and the nonsense *PERFORMANCE* issue. And what's up with the fact that you only loaded one lot every time in your game? There's no open world, no open neighbourhood too.. The fake houses around the real houses would be perfect for it but they didn't do it smh.

They do know that GTW's world is a disappointing thing too right because of the lot sizes? Then why did they do it again? They didn't realize it or what? Because of the active careers? Dude, you only have one active career and you guys act like it's reasonable to put this one active career to be the main feature/factor for this pack so that the lot sizes will be small and very little? Idk what's in their minds rn.

Just end the game already. Nonsense answers + worst engine ever. They better do something for it or it's the end of this franchise, surely.
    ""

^^ My old comment when I first knew the world size.. idk abt now, but I just feel they need to do something... at least you can change the lot size, because it's disappointing.. I hope they could possibly edit the lots in Mirage Park.. because the other unusable lots there are quite hilarious
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I was thinking of putting community lots in all the new town. no residential at all. and the starts can live in the city/ I know I hate anything over 30 30 lots. too much scrolling around. and too much empty space. so my sims don't live in lots any bigger. So I wont be using these big lots to live in, and there isn't enough to have neighbours. I was very disappointed to see the new town. I thought where are my sims supposed to live.