Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Del Sol Valley world size is disappointing

Comments

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Reminds me of the British 14" and French 5.5" guns of WW2, so over-engineered they broke when firing. Annoying in practice, potentially disastrous in battle. More robust & more simple usually = fewer problems, and easier to fix the ones you do get.
  • AlwaysTheSunAlwaysTheSun Posts: 388 Member
    Please. Do they think that players will buy anything? I was quite happy for the pack, but now?
    I'm sick of their explanations. Worlds are small, Sims disappear, there's no color wheel, loading screens between every lot, we can't edit worlds and they still moan about improving game performance? Are they for real? Please!
    I would prefer to get smaller lots.
    They should've done something with ghosts waling around the worlds, dining and clubbing out if they care about game performance that much
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited November 2018
    Please. Do they think that players will buy anything? I was quite happy for the pack, but now?
    I'm sick of their explanations. Worlds are small, Sims disappear, there's no color wheel, loading screens between every lot, we can't edit worlds and they still moan about improving game performance? Are they for real? Please!
    They should've done something with ghosts waling around the worlds, dining and clubbing out if they care about game performance that much

I agree about the lot size. I would have preferred smaller, connected lots. That way, players could make attached town homes that truly function as town homes. The number of lots in the poor section of DSV could have been doubled if the team created smaller, attached lots where the players could build up, instead of out.

Pretend multi-dwelling lots look nice, but they're a nightmare to play. Sims are extremely covetous creatures who always want what their neighbors have. Even if what they want is behind locked doors. Sims also are forced to share inventory and incomes.

In addition, I suspect that EA made the lots in the poor side of town so large so that Sims could use the huge acting sets in their backyards. However, what struggling actor would have the resources to do that, anyway?

It's all so strange. The Del Sol Valley world was the perfect opportunity for the team to finally introduce player-created apartments. Imagine functional brownstones with fire escapes, lobbies, and actual stoops where the Sims can greet their neighbors. Imagine town homes with tiny, dark basement apartments, a block of studio apartments, a converted factory building... The possibilities would have been endless.

This was yet another missed opportunity.

(Sidebar: the place to play with those large scenery pieces should have been on the special studio lot, in a Director career!. Instead, the studio lot only allows the players to change the sets during off hours when there's no other NPCs around to complete the illusion. What was the sense in that? Seriously.)
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018
    For a world said to represent LA - which has millions of people and 502.7 square miles (1,302 km 2) - I do not get at all the size of this world, never mind just 6 residential lots. This world does not represent to me - LA. No it is smaller than BB - and BB is based on New England where most towns are small and are lucky to have 2-3000 people in each one. I live in a Maine seacoast/lake town - that has at most 2000 people in the winter - it goes to about 2600 in the summer when the summer people return to their vacation homes. So that one is a typical New England Sea Coast town - but DSV is not remotely like LA, which is deemed one of the largest seafront Cities.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    With this new map the world will reach 121 lots (excluding the hidden lots, the special lots and the apartment lots).

I'm satisfied by this number.

But what if you want all of a hundred of your own Sims to live in one world? What about that?

Do you mean you ignore the other worlds ? That was my case in The Sims 2.

All the money, resources, time and energy they spent to create neighborhoods that many players never or rarely used.
    Just imagine everything else they could have done instead of these useless maps.

The Sims 4 design encourages the players to use every world, the development seems to be less a waste than the previous games.

Hugh...no.

I used almost all TS2 worlds and when I didn't like one I would delete it and create a new one from scratch. Because that was an option in the 2004 game that TS2 was.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,827 Member
    This is the first time in 18 years that I've used all the worlds in a sims game because I found them all too large for my gameplay. Can't quite remember how it was set up in the original but in Sims 2 my go to world is Bluewater Valley. Sims 3 is a small custom made world, Castaway Cove, built by Cameranutz at Sims Crossing and slightly enlarged for me by Sim Sample at MTS. With that world I use the rabbit hole rugs or place the shells in a basement. I have every store world installed but only so I can have access to the objects that come with the worlds.

I love the small worlds in Sims 4 because for me they lend themselves more to small neighborhoods, all easily accessible but with different aesthetics and vibes. And with so many worlds to choose from I don't have to worry about fitting every venue in one world.
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    This is the first time in 18 years that I've used all the worlds in a sims game because I found them all too large for my gameplay. Can't quite remember how it was set up in the original but in Sims 2 my go to world is Bluewater Valley. Sims 3 is a small custom made world, Castaway Cove, built by Cameranutz at Sims Crossing and slightly enlarged for me by Sim Sample at MTS. With that world I use the rabbit hole rugs or place the shells in a basement. I have every store world installed but only so I can have access to the objects that come with the worlds.

I love the small worlds in Sims 4 because for me they lend themselves more to small neighborhoods, all easily accessible but with different aesthetics and vibes. And with so many worlds to choose from I don't have to worry about fitting every venue in one world.

But if you *like* a type of world and want to do a story there, you can't. For example, I love the spice district. It's the only neighborhood of its kind. But I can't do much with it because other than the apartments, I only have 2 small lots I can edit. Other than 2 venues, I can't make any more community lots that fit into that aesthetic-- and they look odd in any other world. It's the same thing with Forgotten Hollow. I love the feel of that 'world', but there's 5 lots (even though there's a lot of empty space) so I can't have my multiple vampires live there and also have a few community lots like a haunted middle-of-nowhere diner, bowling alley, or other small town attractions like I want for my small town with vampires.

Not all worlds are made equal, and if you prefer one kind for a specific story and you only have a couple lots to work with you're screwed.

DreamaDove wrote: »

Not all worlds are made equal, and if you prefer one kind for a specific story and you only have a couple lots to work with you're screwed.

Exactly!
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    Cynna wrote: »

Exactly!

Quite agree with both of you. I often get the feeling we are adults trying to play a game made for children. Maybe the T really means two, or perhaps three. Yes, old sailors can be sarcastic when tee'd off. Still, the game feels aimed at a lower demand crowd, & EA has no intention of changing any time soon. TS2, while also rated T distinctly feels like the aim point was higher.

Exactly!

Quite agree with both of you. I often get the feeling we are adults trying to play a game made for children. Maybe the T really means two, or perhaps three. Yes, old sailors can be sarcastic when tee'd off. Still, the game feels aimed at a lower demand crowd, & EA has no intention of changing any time soon. TS2, while also rated T distinctly feels like the aim point was higher.

Even children recognize quality and the problems with ts4. The problem is that they often don't know that there's a better way since they have not played the previous iterations of the game.

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I thought they would have fixed it before the Livestream...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    edited November 2018

This exactly. When I play in San Myshuno I don't want to have to send my sims to go bowling or have dinner in Oasis Springs or Forgotten Hollow. It's immersion-breaking for me.

• Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

Why yes it seems they do lol and sadly they are correct to some degree
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • DuendeDuende Posts: 175 Member
    edited November 2018
    Del Sol Valley is underwhelming and for the coming year of 2019 I want EA―I mean MAXIS―same Devil, different name―to actually start putting effort into these packs. It'll be a shame if a boycott does actually break out like with EA's Battlefront.

tenor.gif?itemid=5710131
    Maybe it's time to get one rolling. Unless sufficient numbers of simmers push back EA will continue with business as usual, to our detriment.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    With this new map the world will reach 121 lots (excluding the hidden lots, the special lots and the apartment lots).

But what if you want all of a hundred of your own Sims to live in one world? What about that?

All the money, resources, time and energy they spent to create neighborhoods that many players never or rarely used.
    Just imagine everything else they could have done instead of these useless maps.

The Sims 4 design encourages the players to use every world, the development seems to be less a waste than the previous games.
    For me that is not a pro per se because I find it unrealistic and chaotic. Because the worlds are so different and yet I see the very same sims in San Myshuno and then outside my sim’s house in Forgotten Hollow and when she’s invited for a party she’s suddenly in romantic Germany with again the very same sims. For me that gives a feeling as if she’s all over the place, I don’t bond with the world. It’s too random. Travelling between worlds for me would only be really a great experience if it would be between large worlds, with their own inhabitants I wouldn’t meet elsewhere unless I invite them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited November 2018
    So they're purposefully hindering the game's quality for game performance? It's not like TS4 is super hard to run anyway. Late Night which came with celebrities, acting, and vampires had a MUCH bigger world than this. Bridgeport, even with only 4 people in bars actually felt like a real live city. They need to stop calling these "worlds" because these aren't worlds at this point these are small neighborhoods. It's just so disappointing. The map is filled with set dressing and they completely missed the opportunity to add in houses with a beach view as well. We got this in the BASE GAME for The Sims 3.
    keep on keepin' on
    edited November 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

For me that is not a pro per se because I find it unrealistic and chaotic. Because the worlds are so different and yet I see the very same sims in San Myshuno and then outside my sim’s house in Forgotten Hollow and when she’s invited for a party she’s suddenly in romantic Germany with again the very same sims. For me that gives a feeling as if she’s all over the place, I don’t bond with the world. It’s too random. Travelling between worlds for me would only be really a great experience if it would be between large worlds, with their own inhabitants I wouldn’t meet elsewhere unless I invite them.

The same Sims everywhere is the greatest foil to the illusion of playing in different cities. If Don Lothario and Bella Goth keep showing up everywhere, what's the point.

It would have been nice if each "world" had its own NPC pool. That way, whenever a player Sim visited a new city, there would be fresh faces. I would like to see different Sims in Skye Fitness than the ones that I would see in the gym in OS, for example. The two places have totally different feels, there should be totally different clientele.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg

The same Sims everywhere is the greatest foil to the illusion of playing in different cities. If Don Lothario and Bella Goth keep showing up everywhere, what's the point.

It would have been nice if each "world" had its own NPC pool. That way, whenever a player Sim visited a new city, there would be fresh faces. I would like to see different Sims in Skye Fitness than the ones that I would see in the gym in OS, for example. The two places have totally different feels, there should be totally different clientele.

Absolutely. One of the things I've wanted forever is a setting so that only sims with certain economic status spawn at certain lots. That way my rundown lots can be populated by my poor and rebel sims and by fancy lots filled with my rich sims. I hate when I see sims that I know are struggling to pay rent at my luxury restaurants or my snobby rich sims show up to the shady motel I built. Makes no sense.

Being able to dictate what sims show up in what world would be a great step towards that.
    Absolutely on both! That's how it is in TS2 (though without the economic factor). Each world was unique and unto itself. Although visiting other worlds was limited to the vacation destinations, I can see it being carried over to the other ones had the game continued on longer, so a sim in Pleasantview could visit Veronaville. This would have added options like hotels for them to stay at, maybe local 'sights' to visit, and so on.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited November 2018
    Maybe it's time to get one rolling. Unless sufficient numbers of simmers push back EA will continue with business as usual, to our detriment.

If it means getting more worthwhile content, sign me up. At the very least, the devs should know how disappointed people are with the world and how hard it is to believe Kate's excuse for how small it is.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    If you are going to have a world that beautiful, it must be complete! It at least needs another neighborhood added to it. Right now, there are not enough lots, so it cannot be properly enjoyed.
  • Amistri2016Amistri2016 Posts: 65 Member

Absolutely. One of the things I've wanted forever is a setting so that only sims with certain economic status spawn at certain lots. That way my rundown lots can be populated by my poor and rebel sims and by fancy lots filled with my rich sims. I hate when I see sims that I know are struggling to pay rent at my luxury restaurants or my snobby rich sims show up to the shady motel I built. Makes no sense.

Being able to dictate what sims show up in what world would be a great step towards that.

I feel the same way. My floral designer owns her own business. She pays for advertisements for what? The same Sims come every single day & hang out & make a purchase. The same Sims! EA/Maxis missed the mark huge on this. I could be getting my social aspect on by meeting Sims from all the so called "worlds" if coding was right. Spawning the same Sims in every nightclub, bar, event, neighborhood is just lazy coding.

I'll say it one more time. Until there is some competition presented to EA/Maxis they will continue to behave in this lazy fashion. If I didn't know any better, I would say they are intentionally running the Sims into the ground so they can just be done with it.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2018

I feel the same way. My floral designer owns her own business. She pays for advertisements for what? The same Sims come every single day & hang out & make a purchase. The same Sims! EA/Maxis missed the mark huge on this. I could be getting my social aspect on by meeting Sims from all the so called "worlds" if coding was right. Spawning the same Sims in every nightclub, bar, event, neighborhood is just lazy coding.

I'll say it one more time. Until there is some competition presented to EA/Maxis they will continue to behave in this lazy fashion. If I didn't know any better, I would say they are intentionally running the Sims into the ground so they can just be done with it.

If Sims 4 is tied to performance I see what is happening here it may also be tied to performance and how EA/Maxis engineered the game. If they was to go all out like they did with Sims 3, they may fear the customers with low end and some mid level systems may flip. AI systems can be very tricky at times and also may have to be tweaked every now and then especially after adding new packs. Imho, if one does not stay on top of thier programs it can lead to problems later.If it is the same customers and does not increase it is kind of sad because it makes no sense to play that mode if you can't increase your revenue. I really wish EA/Maxis allowed Sims 4 to perform in accordance with your system specs and not have all systems experience the same performance. I do not think this an bug but working as designed.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    If you are going to have a world that beautiful, it must be complete! It at least needs another neighborhood added to it. Right now, there are not enough lots, so it cannot be properly enjoyed.

This is how I feel. I feel we need waaaaay more lots. I feel 2 more neighborhoods can be added.