Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Del Sol Valley world size is disappointing

Comments

• DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    With this new map the world will reach 121 lots (excluding the hidden lots, the special lots and the apartment lots).

I'm satisfied by this number.

Sure, you are.

Not me.

Especially since I dislike some neighborhoods and really like others. I love the spice market because it's so real and normal. Something like the financial district of san myshuno is futuristic and unusable for regular people. Vampires only look right in FH, but we only have 5 lots. Granite Falls and Selvadorada are both destination worlds so sims can't live there. I don't like the desert, so I don't put many sims in Oasis Spring.

No, those lots are not enough because they're not the same. And if you have a preference for a type of neighborhood or lot, then you can't use all of them.

besides, like someone else said, I don't do multiple gamefiles. I want all my sims to live in the same world so I have all my households in the same gamefile. That's something I could do in the previous iterations, there's no reason why there shouldn't be enough room for that in this one.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    With this new map the world will reach 121 lots (excluding the hidden lots, the special lots and the apartment lots).

Sure, you are.

Not me.

Especially since I dislike some neighborhoods and really like others. I love the spice market because it's so real and normal. Something like the financial district of san myshuno is futuristic and unusable for regular people. Vampires only look right in FH, but we only have 5 lots. Granite Falls and Selvadorada are both destination worlds so sims can't live there. I don't like the desert, so I don't put many sims in Oasis Spring.

No, those lots are not enough because they're not the same. And if you have a preference for a type of neighborhood or lot, then you can't use all of them.

besides, like someone else said, I don't do multiple gamefiles. I want all my sims to live in the same world so I have all my households in the same gamefile. That's something I could do in the previous iterations, there's no reason why there shouldn't be enough room for that in this one.

I agree with much of what you said DreamaDove - and in the new world coming - I do not look at the whole game as part of that world. Logic tells me that in the real world a newly starting out actor in Hollywood is not going to be commuting from far away to a studio everyday to get started - so to me it is a bit nuts not to at least have some cheap starters and rooming housing for poor newbies to Sim Hollywood or for that matter if there were cars to be able to afford the travel or owning a car. No matter how fake a game is - when it is even loosely based on life and even if like me you also like the fantasy side of things - you still get really annoyed when things go into the game that does not make sense. For me expecting my sim to live in other worlds to become an actor in this world is an issue because this world does not offer enough space for people who play several multiple household. It was not as if people ask for Sims 3 size worlds (although it would have been nice) but 6 lots with most already occupied - no cheap rents for struggling actors - just makes no sense to me.

LeGardePourpre saying 121 lots is enough for them - but those come from all different worlds not the neighborhood or world you are playing in. It is not as if it is a gamepack where one would assume less lots - but a new world - expansion - and the least they can provide is enough even tiny cheap lots or a couple of rooming houses or apartments to represent the beginning of becoming an actor. I just cannot wrap my head around what they offer for this EP as far as lots go - and obviously a lot of us are having this problem and all the arguments in the world does not change it - when it looks too wrong.

I don't want excuses - I want resolutions. It is a problem for many of us - and the replies we got was just useless excuses never mind troubling as it makes the game not look very stable for the next 3 years too by saying what they said. It solves nothing. WE WANT more empty lots. That is the solution for this world - not excuses.

ETA -In gaming Guru's tell us - nothing is impossible - then fix it - please.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• TiaDogTiaDog Posts: 79 Member
    The Del Sol Valley world is disappointing but predictable. Didn't anyone see this coming? I hope the rest of the pack makes up for it.
    Sims Games I like to play - Sims 2 / Sims Medieval / Sims 2 Pets ( Wii ) / MySims / MySims Kingdom ( Wii )
    i-like-to-be-alone-but-i-hate-being-lonely-quote-1.jpg
    edited November 2018
    TiaDog wrote: »
    The Del Sol Valley world is disappointing but predictable. Didn't anyone see this coming? I hope the rest of the pack makes up for it.

No - you don't see an expansion pack coming and expect just 5-6 lots. They did that in Get to Work EP and made people mad and that one was more understandable seeing it was just a few lots to add some retail businesses - but we found it hard to understand why no house lots too - but not much was said. But in this pack - well people in real life run off to Hollywood all the time to make it big - and odds are they are not running there with a big bank account and can afford their own home or commuting from other towns. It totally wrecked fame type storylines - who'd have thought someone would even do such a thing - knowing well how people seeking fame generally works.

It's not quite like most other occupations to go after any kind of entertainment type fame. So how would anyone see something like this coming. It is what made it so absurd to me.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited November 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »

But what if you want all of a hundred of your own Sims to live in one world? What about that?

Do you mean you ignore the other worlds ? That was my case in The Sims 2.

All the money, resources, time and energy they spent to create neighborhoods that many players never or rarely used.
    Just imagine everything else they could have done instead of these useless maps.

The Sims 4 design encourages the players to use every world, the development seems to be less a waste than the previous games.

• DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    I agree. I'm going to buy it on sale. It's the first pack that I'll wait for it to get cheaper before buying it.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

But what if you want all of a hundred of your own Sims to live in one world? What about that?

All the money, resources, time and energy they spent to create neighborhoods that many players never or rarely used.
    Just imagine everything else they could have done instead of these useless maps.

The Sims 4 design encourages the players to use every world, the development seems to be less a waste than the previous games.

Haha the proof that TS2 was amazing. Not only we got the best personalities, animations, histories & you're complaining about the amazing worlds we got? Haha, never saw this.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited November 2018

Many of us do not agree - you are not the only customer of the sims - we are customers that PAY money for this game and lots of us are on lots of sites complaining this world has too few lots.

Oh and you talk about how you played Sims 2 well - I played sims 2 connecting sometimes as many as 10 districts to make those world bigger and played literally hundreds of households. I average 180 or more sims a world that I play in over 35 different worlds besides all the Maxis and store worlds in Sims 3. So obviously I do not look at plenty of lots as a waste. I am as much a paying customer as you are. What's more up until Sims 4 I pre-ordered every single thing made for the games so I don't even wait for sales - when I get offered things I enjoy.

People play the game differently but really you think it is okay for just you to be happy for the game that all of us pay for? You don't have to play tons of houses like I play - but without me having an option at all - I don't even get the choice to play my way. How is that fair. We pay the same price if we don't wait for sales.

Never mind hearing a few more lots - empty lots even would cause future performance issues and they plan to sell this game to us for several more years. How does hearing that sound promising or boost your confidence? Makes me stand back and go - "SAY WHAT?"

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited November 2018
    @Writin_Reg

As always I agree with you.
    Just I try to do not complain too because there are already enough people who do the job.

At the same time, I'm also curious and I would like to understand the Maxis' point of view and to know what they're trying to do.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • migitpoo73migitpoo73 Posts: 218 Member
    Yeah im really disappointed. Idk. The world look so empty and i cant even build all house's that i imagine already. I honestly even don't know should i buy that pack. The packs are seriously lacking and i dont want to encourage EA that it is fine :/

I Agree with you 100% on the world looking so empty and not being able to build all houses, I don't know if I will buy the Expansion pk myself yet, if I do ill maybe wait to see if it goes on sale and buy it then but not right now. Happy Simmin :)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member

Not to burst your bubble, but in TS2 I fill my worlds and often (if the given machine can handle it) add more. Won't say I've enough sims to populate Chicago, but probably the cruiser of that name. So, for me, those maps are far from useless. Everyone has their own style, so we need to be careful with over generalizing.

To the point of the topic, EA would have been well advised to have used that space wasted on inaccessible background art and made it possible for us to put in our own lots. It's our money that's keeping them going, so they should give us proper value for it. Am in full agreement with the upset & disgusted other posters, whether it's over the too small 'world' (more like a corner of a village) or the flimsy excuses EA is giving us. If there is any truth to said excuses, then somebody at EA needs to make some hard decisions about this mess - invest whatever is necessary to fix it or admit they messed up and bring this farce to an end. Muddling along is not acceptable!
    edited November 2018
    To the point of the topic, EA would have been well advised to have used that space wasted on inaccessible background art and made it possible for us to put in our own lots.

Seriously you want to build things near the backdrops ?

ingame52.jpg

To the point of the topic, EA would have been well advised to have used that space wasted on inaccessible background art and made it possible for us to put in our own lots.

ingame52.jpg

yes

tumblr_phodzkFcaw1qijewwo1_1280.jpg
    edited November 2018
    yes

I already imagine people complaining about the flat and ugly landscape.

I don't think the existing worlds can get more lots, so I would suggest to Maxis to allow us to clone these worlds as many times we want.
    I propose this idea because it would allow me to get more apartments by creating copies of San Myshuno.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

ingame52.jpg

A backdrop isn't just what is circling the world on the outskirts, but the lot next door or across the street is a backdrop, too. So, yes, remove so many backdrop right next door and add lots.
    edited November 2018
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    A backdrop isn't just what is circling the world on the outskirts, but the lot next door or across the street is a backdrop, too. So, yes, remove so many backdrop right next door and add lots.

I'm surprised the modders didn't make it yet, it seems easy to do.

I'm not sure about the lot size, maybe 30x20 or smaller.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Maybe it's too hard? Or messes up something. :/
  • Amistri2016Amistri2016 Posts: 65 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Dianesims wrote: »

Well I play on a MacBook, they kinda suck video games wise, so I'm concerned about performance. However other players have great gaming computers, they shouldn't be penalized either. That being said, my old white plastic MacBook could run TS3 (barely, but still) and the worlds were much bigger.

I understand that some players don't have the money to buy a more expensive computer, and I think it's great that the Sim's team accommodates for them. However, I just don't think their reasons are valid. I can see how Seasons or Cats & Dogs would be tough on an older computer, but adding in a couple more lots to a world? I don't think that would break the game. I was just trying to highlight how ridiculous their excuse is, not criticize users with lower end computers.

Why do you think their response is ridiculous? I'm also wondering why there were so few lots and if it's not a question of performance then what could it be? 🤔

Console. ETA: We all know they test an EP or GP with the base game only, not with everything installed and never have. So, how could a world with just the base be too much for the base and an EP to load? That reason doesn't actually hold water.

Glad you pointed out that they don't test their stuff properly before release. Perhaps if they had a proper system for testing everything there wouldn't be any issues with "performance". All the issues that people have with the game are a cause of their not doing their jobs before they put out new material.

I would never release anything that had my name on it if it wasn't properly tested & worked 100% with every EP/GP! Perhaps the gurus need to go back to school to learn proper coding because all I ever see is how they take advantage of the modding community who out code them every single day of the week.

The terrain tool was used to build the worlds so it isn't even new just the UI to use it is. As long as players keep paying for EP/GPs that include the stuff that should have been in the base game they will continue to behave the way they do. They need some serious competition if we expect things to improve. Aren't there any modders out there willing to take a chance. I can't write the code, but I'm the type of person who doesn't overlook important details like slow dancing, skate boarding, bicycling & grocery stores. Every game needs a details person which I thoroughly believe is missing with the Sims 4 team.

modders can't make more lots.
  • Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    I knew it though, I don't see how to size is a surprise to anyone.
    There are times I wonder whether their testing system is us.

Actually EA has huge numbers of people hired for testers believe it or not - and on top of that they sometimes also offer a pre-test of a new games on top of those hired testers to players even. I have tested a number of games including the very first Sims for Will Wright. The last game I tested was for the Sims 3 - I tested Showtime for the Salt Lake City Studio. I also tested several in between - and 2 of the Sims Online games (I purely hated those). But believe it or not EA does plenty of testing - and retesting, and even more retesting.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited November 2018
    Iguess66 wrote: »
    I knew it though, I don't see how to size is a surprise to anyone.

Well when they tell you the world represents the LA area and to do with Fame - you don't thing tiny - far from it and you cetainly assume rooming houses, sleezy motels that rent rooms, and cheap apts of all kind because most people hit Hollywood with jut the shirts on their backs and no money. You surely do not imagine just houses and only 6 of them and 3 are mansions. NONE of that makes sense when we well know Showbusiness and how it starts - never mind be in the city of LA. You see things like this and you sure don't think SMALL:

the larger metropolitan region's population at the 2010 census was estimated to be over 17.8 million residents, and a 2015 estimate reported a population of about 18.7 million.[1] Either definition makes it the second largest metropolitan region in the country, behind the New York metropolitan area, as well as one of the largest urban agglomerations in the world.

the Greater Los Angeles Area) had a population density of 7,068 inhabitants per square mile (2,729/km2), covering 1,668 square miles (4,320 km2) of land area, making it the most densely populated Urbanized Area (as defined by the United States Census Bureau) in the United States. For comparison, the "New York–Newark" Urbanized Area as a whole had a population density of 5,309 per square mile (2,050/km2), covering 3,353 square miles (8,684 km2) of land area.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Writin_Reg wrote: »

Actually EA has huge numbers of people hired for testers believe it or not - and on top of that they sometimes also offer a pre-test of a new games on top of those hired testers to players even. I have tested a number of games including the very first Sims for Will Wright. The last game I tested was for the Sims 3 - I tested Showtime for the Salt Lake City Studio. I also tested several in between - and 2 of the Sims Online games (I purely hated those). But believe it or not EA does plenty of testing - and retesting, and even more retesting.

In that case they better work harder at finding problems and even trying to break it, like I did when testing modules for BioWare's NWN. In view of the uproars on the forums, entirely too much is getting through.
    edited November 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

In that case they better work harder at finding problems and even trying to break it, like I did when testing modules for BioWare's NWN. In view of the uproars on the forums, entirely too much is getting through.

I can tell you first hand things we had fixed during testing and got the games running perfectly went kaput with the next pack. It is an ongoing problem in gaming - and I have tested games for other companies as well and saw the same things in many of those too (especially when I was back in college). About the only way to not have issues with games is to have no DLC, few patches as possible, no user made content ever during the life of that game. Every addition after a game has finished is a potential issue for almost any game. And of course the more high technical content the game has in it - the greater the potential with issues added to a game after it has been finished.

I also noticed the more high tech gaming gets the greater the issues seem to come up. You did not see issues like many games have today back 15-20 years ago when it was a much simpler and straightforward process.

In dreams - I LIVE!