Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Del Sol Valley world size is disappointing

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don’t think it’s console. Consoles run modern open world games all the time. My niece plays the sims on my Pro and it doesn’t use its potential. My Husband has spent a lot of his career building massive open world games built for console but they use a good engine and have a huge budget. That’s the difference.

I think the issue is the engine, wanting to reach a wide variety of players, they know many of their fans are casual players who only play the sims and can’t or won’t upgrade their specs for pc and and they don’t want a repeat of the sims 3.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    bixters wrote: »

Why do you think their response is ridiculous? I'm also wondering why there were so few lots and if it's not a question of performance then what could it be? 🤔

I just don't see why adding a couple of lots to the map would have effected the performance that much. There is even empty space on the map where they could have added it. I think they may have just ran out of time and didn't have time to add in the extra lots.

Ran out of Time? No one said they had to release an EP this early. That seems to be the excuse for a lot of stuff about TS4. GT didn't come out until Dec. IIRC. And I can't remember but I think some other packs didn't come out until Jan. etc. They can't be out of time when they have said they are going to keep going for three more years. They just released Seasons, it hasn't been six months yet, has it? It's like they threw in whatever they had laying around to call it an EP. And others are saying this new world is left overs of the previous worlds, I'm not saying it, I don't know but it sure looks familar in several areas, just revamped.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AiviraAivira Posts: 40 Member
    Just wanted to chime in and say I'm also upset about the world size, I don't tend to do a lot with bigger lots and I would've loved to see some apartments as well. Hopefully they'll see our feedback, they already said they couldn't get the patch out in October which is understandable so maybe they're worried about delaying it another month, but that's not an excuse.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Ran out of Time? No one said they had to release an EP this early. That seems to be the excuse for a lot of stuff about TS4. GT didn't come out until Dec. IIRC. And I can't remember but I think some other packs didn't come out until Jan. etc. They can't be out of time when they have said they are going to keep going for three more years. They just released Seasons, it hasn't been six months yet, has it? It's like they threw in whatever they had laying around to call it an EP. And others are saying this new world is left overs of the previous worlds, I'm not saying it, I don't know but it sure looks familar in several areas, just revamped.

I agree with everything you said, how can they run out of time if their timeline is for the next 3 years? Maybe it comes down to budget: EA didn't give them enough money. This has probably been the case for every Expansion. And I agree, some parts of the world look like they were pulled straight from Oasis Springs. Personally, I find it uattractive compared to other worlds, there's no charm like Brindleton Bay or Windenburg. It just looks dull.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    This is how it will play out until Sims 4 goes to Development heaven, For me I rather have the ability to create my my own Neighborhood instead of EA/Maxis giving me one. The neighborhoods are too restrictive and for me creativity is gimped as well. This one reason I do not get too ahead of my self when it comes to EA/Maxis, most will always get the short end of the stick. The best thing for me is to hold out as long as possible and wait for an good sale, now I really wish it was University than GF.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    This is how it will play out until Sims 4 goes to Development heaven, For me I rather have the ability to create my my own Neighborhood instead of EA/Maxis giving me one. The neighborhoods are too restrictive and for me creativity is gimped as well. This one reason I do not get too ahead of my self when it comes to EA/Maxis, most will always get the short end of the stick. The best thing for me is to hold out as long as possible and wait for an good sale, now I really wish it was University than GF.

I agree -- taking away the player's ability to create their own worlds exactly as they want was such a massive downgrade to this series. I don't like feeling confined to EA's own imagination with worlds. Creative players made some really awesome stuff back in The Sims 3, and they are simply left in the dark with TS4.

I really hope The Sims 5 ships with a CAW tool, maybe even built into the game.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I agree with everything you said, how can they run out of time if their timeline is for the next 3 years? Maybe it comes down to budget: EA didn't give them enough money. This has probably been the case for every Expansion. And I agree, some parts of the world look like they were pulled straight from Oasis Springs. Personally, I find it uattractive compared to other worlds, there's no charm like Brindleton Bay or Windenburg. It just looks dull.

Maybe money is better spent on gameplay rather than backdrops? Or maybe a 'vault' was a waste of revenue or resources. And they didn't even have to think of a new system for the acting career, just reuse the doctor career check list system. Wow..amazing. :neutral:
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Yes this world is too tiny!
    Mirage Park should have one or two more lots then I would be happy.
    a256aFi.gif
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited October 2018
    It's a mere six months since Seasons. And the Terrain tools being released are hugely attention grabbing. But EA wanted to release another EP - and THIS year. And the ONLY reason they'd do it now, is for the shareholders.

And the world is BEAUTIFUL. But it's a cosmetic beauty. Cars lining the roads that we don't need that don't even work. The Non-Lot world is filled with gorgeous landscaping that we can't improve. And a backdrop that makes the world seem two or three times bigger than it is, but wouldn't you rather have a REAL bigger world?

Of course, if the world is SMALLER, we tire of it more quickly. Which means we buy more. Which is kind of short-sighted by EA because it means they have to make more, and faster, which shows that they have zero connection with the people making the game beyond "Make this size of a pack with this budget."

Seems to me the devs spent a chunk of time creating Premades that look nice but usually get replaced with Gallery buildings anyway. Because it's cheap, not because they wanted to.

Specs actually went UP with Cats&Dogs. Players got new computers to deal with it. Why is it that people with the adequate and higher specifications are being punished for the gamers who refuse to play with adequate specifications and then complain about performance? The specs are RIGHT THERE. If your computer doesn't have them, you shouldn't expect top performance. That's how it's always, ALWAYS been with every PC game ever. It is literally the worst excuse ever for dumbing down an EP in which one lot loads at a time.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • GarethlexGarethlex Posts: 159 Member

No it boils down to a very weak system, the watered down the graphics to cater to optimisation and now we are getting cut backs on lots placed in a MAP! 6 residential lots on one map!!!! I still can’t get over it !

But hey... look at the bright side we have a new active acting career and a new fame system....... :|
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2018
    Loanet wrote: »
    It's a mere six months since Seasons. And the Terrain tools being released are hugely attention grabbing. But EA wanted to release another EP - and THIS year. And the ONLY reason they'd do it now, is for the shareholders.

And the world is BEAUTIFUL. But it's a cosmetic beauty. Cars lining the roads that we don't need that don't even work. The Non-Lot world is filled with gorgeous landscaping that we can't improve. And a backdrop that makes the world seem two or three times bigger than it is, but wouldn't you rather have a REAL bigger world?

Of course, if the world is SMALLER, we tire of it more quickly. Which means we buy more. Which is kind of short-sighted by EA because it means they have to make more, and faster, which shows that they have zero connection with the people making the game beyond "Make this size of a pack with this budget."

Seems to me the devs spent a chunk of time creating Premades that look nice but usually get replaced with Gallery buildings anyway. Because it's cheap, not because they wanted to.

Specs actually went UP with Cats&Dogs. Players got new computers to deal with it. Why is it that people with the adequate and higher specifications are being punished for the gamers who refuse to play with adequate specifications and then complain about performance? The specs are RIGHT THERE. If your computer doesn't have them, you shouldn't expect top performance. That's how it's always, ALWAYS been with every PC game ever. It is literally the worst excuse ever for dumbing down an EP in which one lot loads at a time.

Pretty much.

I remember when we used to be able to get expansions every 6 months apart with TS3, and have both of those expansions actually have a good amount of content for what you pay for.

This pack looks like a play once and done kind of thing. The aspirations seem minuscule, we only have one new trait, and the whole fame system just looks like a grind fest. It’s even worse when you factor in how much emphasis was put on this acting career, when in reality, it’s just a reworked GTW career with the same constrictive and boring checklist in the corner telling you how to play your game.

And the world? EA again making the rules for us, whereas in TS3, we had free reign over the appearances of our worlds, the sizes of them, their weather cycle/conditions, etc.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    It's not just the size for me. Every world (except Newcrest) looks really pretty. Especially worlds like San Myshuno, Forgotten Hollow and Windenburg looked so special and nice. The new one looks just cheap to me tbh. Especially the transition between grass and sand looks like they ran out of time or didn't even try. It's like a weird mix between Oasis Spring and Willow Creek with some backdrop skyscrapers from San Myshuno :|
    And I was hoping for at least one lot on the beach. I didn't expect any "swimming in the ocean" or something fancy, but just a house on the sandy terrain with a view of the ocean would've been really nice.

edit: Just talking about the map btw. I haven't seen videos yet where they went through the neighbourhoods in live mode.

Agreed, the world is not only small, but it's not very pretty either. I think this it is the least attractive town in the Sims 4. Couldn't they have at least filled in the empty space with plants or buildings?

They filled it in with huge fake roads and fake vehicles. I saw the video from sims camp. Two in fact and both showed the same thing.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• karlakoukarlakou Posts: 23 Member
    I think a lot of people are always like "be happy with what we have" and I think we should BUT I tend to agree with the comments here! I kind of feel like this might be more game pack level rather than expansion pack level. I'm still not sure if I want to buy it??
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    They filled it in with huge fake roads and fake vehicles. I saw the video from sims camp. Two in fact and both showed the same thing.

I was specifically talking about the map being unattractive. The world itself has a lot of detail, but it's all fake like you said... :(
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    Dianesims wrote: »

Well I play on a MacBook, they kinda suck video games wise, so I'm concerned about performance. However other players have great gaming computers, they shouldn't be penalized either. That being said, my old white plastic MacBook could run TS3 (barely, but still) and the worlds were much bigger.

I understand that some players don't have the money to buy a more expensive computer, and I think it's great that the Sim's team accommodates for them. However, I just don't think their reasons are valid. I can see how Seasons or Cats & Dogs would be tough on an older computer, but adding in a couple more lots to a world? I don't think that would break the game. I was just trying to highlight how ridiculous their excuse is, not criticize users with lower end computers.

Why do you think their response is ridiculous? I'm also wondering why there were so few lots and if it's not a question of performance then what could it be? 🤔

This is a 64 bit game - it is ludicrous to say it would have performance issues. Who do they think they are kidding?

That might work on young people that know nothing about computers and programming but they best not try flying that one by me and people like me who have been dealing with pcs and programming since the early 80's. It was one thing when they say things like that about the ever sluggish 32 bit games - which was part of Sims 3's problem - but don't go tossing performance as an issue in a 64bit game. That is absurd!

My middle son is a C# and C++ programmer and he has not stopped laughing since he heard that. Never mind the fact someone who works in the business actually said that for a Sims game - in particularly The Sims 4 game.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member

Well I play on a MacBook, they kinda suck video games wise, so I'm concerned about performance. However other players have great gaming computers, they shouldn't be penalized either. That being said, my old white plastic MacBook could run TS3 (barely, but still) and the worlds were much bigger.

I understand that some players don't have the money to buy a more expensive computer, and I think it's great that the Sim's team accommodates for them. However, I just don't think their reasons are valid. I can see how Seasons or Cats & Dogs would be tough on an older computer, but adding in a couple more lots to a world? I don't think that would break the game. I was just trying to highlight how ridiculous their excuse is, not criticize users with lower end computers.

This is a 64 bit game - it is ludicrous to say it would have performance issues. Who do they think they are kidding?

That might work on young people that know nothing about computers and programming but they best not try flying that one by me and people like me who have been dealing with pcs and programming since the early 80's. It was one thing when they say things like that about the ever sluggish 32 bit games - which was part of Sims 3's problem - but don't go tossing performance as an issue in a 64bit game. That is absurd!

My middle son is a C# and C++ programmer and he has not stopped laughing since he heard that. Never mind the fact someone who works in the business actually said that for a Sims game - in particularly The Sims 4 game.

Or is the Sims 4 very bad program. And developers make very bad work..
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

I’m not young and I’d buy it too ;) Took me reading from people who know a bit about it to find out it’s probably untrue.

Is it true by the way cars and boat trailers are parked next to a house your sim lives in? That would really be kind of awkward...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    I don't for one moment believe the excuse about performance. The game only loads one district at a time, irrespective of the size of the "world" -- which isn't actually a world at all (as it was in Sims 3), but just a number of districts, which appear to be inter-connected because of the way they are drawn on the map and the clever backdrops, but are actually not connected to each other at all. I can understand why there might need to be a limit on the size of a district and the number of lots it can contain, but I cannot for the life of me see how the number of districts could affect performance. And if it is to do with the overall number of sims in the game, then why are we able to set limits on this in Household Management? What is the purpose of culling?
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

Or is the Sims 4 very bad program. And developers make very bad work..

I think it's both. :smiley: Or they just don't have enough time.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • GarethlexGarethlex Posts: 159 Member
    I say just wait till they discount it .... if the price bothers you, as much as I would like to add the small features to my game I may hold out for a while ...
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited October 2018
    The game isn’t 64 bit though. As someone else pointed out (a fact I had forgotten) you can still run the game in 32 bit. You change it via Origin.

Of course those who have 64 bit I imagine use it bit those that don’t (and I imagine they are many) still use 32 and they may be the ones EA have to think about.

Not saying I excuse this, I don’t.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2018
    CeCeDot wrote: »

Lame. Maybe it'll effect your "performance" if you're playing on a toaster. :D

Some may find your post funny and I see the point you making with it and it is valid. If I am playing with an highend system how does that affect my performance? Now on the other hand if I am playing on an system that just meet the minimum I would accept that reasoning. EA/Maxis just shot themselves in the foot with that explanation for it shows that regardless of how powerful your system it will not play better than an lowend system for it will not take advantage of that system specs other than the graphics or no to less lag. Hate to do it but they just made Sims 3 look better than Sims 4 being it was using features that for me brought creativity to the game. Sure, some may have had some problems but it sure did not affect everyone. How can I glorify an version that comes half stepping to the plate, tweaking an game goes on throughout it's developmental life and sometimes after. Most other games tweaks their games when needed even when the customer does not ask for it. I think a lot of people suspected this and it has been confirmed or has to this time where we must know.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    edited October 2018
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    CeCeDot wrote: »

Lame. Maybe it'll effect your "performance" if you're playing on a toaster. :D

Some may find your post funny and I see the point you making with it and it is valid. If I am playing with an highend system how does that affect my performance? Now on the other hand if I am playing on an system that just meet the minimum I would accept that reasoning. EA/Maxis just shot themselves in the foot with that explanation for it shows that regardless of how powerful your system it will not play better than an lowend system for it will not take advantage of that system specs other than the graphics or no to less lag. Hate to do it but they just made Sims 3 look better than Sims 4 being it was using features that for me brought creativity to the game. Sure, some may have had some problems but it sure did not affect everyone. How can I glorify an version that comes half stepping to the plate, tweaking an game goes on throughout it's developmental life and sometimes after. Most other games tweaks their games when needed even when the customer does not ask for it. I think a lot of people suspected this and it has been confirmed or has to this time where we must know.

Tbh it seems that the bugs in the Sims 4 aren't that far off the level of those in the Sims 3 anyway. So what did they cut all this content for? If that excuse that there's less content for better performance really is the truth (which I highly doubt), then it hasn't worked has it. The bugs are one of the main reasons I stopped playing the Sims 4. If the content had been excellent I probably would have carried on, but it just got to the point where I just thought that this game is so buggy I can barely do anything without glitches ruining it, and it's not even that good a game and not worth the struggles with the system, so why bother. At least in the Sims 3 you get full EPs to play with. Ideally though there shouldn't be any bugs in that game either, and they should've used the time they're not creating new content for it anymore to fix the bugs.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    The game isn’t 64 bit though. As someone else pointed out (a fact I had forgotten) you can still run the game in 32 bit. You change it via Origin.

Of course those who have 64 bit I imagine use it bit those that don’t (and I imagine they are many) still use 32 and they may be the ones EA have to think about.

Not saying I excuse this, I don’t.

Every EP/GP following Cats and Dogs has required a 64 bit operating system to play. You can run the game in 32 bit, but those packs that require 64 bit won’t work on a 32 bit system.

I assume this new EP will also require a 64 bit OS like the last 3 releases have.