Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kid Adoption Issue - Adopted Kid's Avatar appear but the connected Sim is missing.

I am trying to play a Legacy games where the Legacy moves from mother to adopted daughter. The first generation adoption went fine. The adopted daughter is now ready to adopt her own daughter to pass on the legacy but there's an issue I need help with.

The adoption agency gets phoned and you get the related ''you want to adopt?'' message. However a few minutes later after selecting the age and gender of the child you want to adopt only a blank Avatar (the green box with the Sim's face in it) is added to the household. No physical Sim is added that you can interact with.

Is there a way to correct this or do I have to give up on my Legacy game?

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The built-in adoption and animal adoption processes are fragile and break very easily. If you are still using NRaas mods (as per a prior thread), I would suggest MasterController's Adopt Sim method instead; note that the game clock must be running, not paused, for this one to work. On the active sim or your household, NRaas > MC > (Sim) > Basic > Adopt. You get the same choices of age/gender and adoptees, but without the easily broken adoption social worker scenario.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • WesselGordonWesselGordon Posts: 108 Member
    Igazor,

Thanks for the info but as soon as I try to adopt through Nraas I run into a ''script error'' with Overwatch with the same issue as described in the original post.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    This issue could be caused by trying to adopt a child in a save that was already corrupted by a sim being improperly deleted earlier in the save like when a social worker takes a baby,toddler or child away from a family in the game.I've had save get so corrupted they were unplayable from that situation and one even had the dreaded UI failure the last time I loaded it after my family got a baby taken in amuch earlier session.You should check for things like sims with interactions not matching their age group like mine had with a toddler who had adult interactions available in that corrupted save.I had some adults with pet or toddler interactions.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • WesselGordonWesselGordon Posts: 108 Member
    Thanks Tad

Seems like I just have to accept the save is corrupt and start a new Legacy.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @WesselGordon You may well be able to salvage this save, if you're willing to tinker a bit. The first thing to try is an MC reset of the lot: click on the ground, NRaas > MC > Reset Lot. Then try to adopt through MC as igazor described. If that doesn't help, click on City Hall, NRaas > MC > Town Options > Reset Everything. If your sims don't themselves reset, go to MC > Settings > Include Active Lot in Reset Everything and change it to True (although it should be true by default). Then "save as" to rename the save, quit, and delete the five cache files from your game folder in Documents. For reference, they are:

CASPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.packate
    socialCache.package

Reload, and try the MC adoption again. If it still doesn't work, evicting your family might help, at least if the game lets you. (Another MC reset might help here too.) Go to Edit Town, evict your sims, save their house to the bin, bulldoze the lot, replace the house with the bin copy, and move your sims back in. If you do this all in one Edit Town session, without saving your sims to the bin, they'll keep their jobs and relationships but lose their promised wishes and opportunities.

If you can't go to Edit Town to evict your sims, try switching to another active family first. Click on another house, NRaas > MC > Make Active (I think). Then do another MC reset of the town and try the Edit Town evict and replace as described above.

If all else fails, you could at least save your own sims to the bin and place them in a new town.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2018
    The social worker scenario does not (generally) corrupt players' games. Improperly deleting sims, even those seemingly unrelated to the issue or household at hand, does.

Before all else fails, it could also be useful if the above doesn't help or doesn't help enough to see these Overwatch script error logs and any others being generated zipped together, uploaded to a third party file hosting service (our own upload mechanism is not functional on our new site yet), and a support thread opened up at NRaas.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net