Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Do You Play Your Game?

Comments

• Octavie88Octavie88 Posts: 140 Member
    I could never play a vanilla game. Not enough drama or gloom for my tastes. I also only do maxis-match cc, that way nothing looks out of place and you don't have basic townies walking around next to your realistic looking alpha cc sims
  • ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    I only play with maxis-match CC. Within my experience with mods, it just breaks my game too much. :(
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    Cc objects are like chips. Hard to stop when you start downloading them and they end up cluttering your system. I'm sometimes tempted, but there are enough bugs with the base game without adding more. And there already is so much content I didn't use in the original game... It forces me to get creative and get out of my comfort zone. Cc doesn't also always stay true to the spirit of the game and often clashes visually. I prefer rubber cartoons to textured mannequins... And I hate with passion makeup for toddlers...
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    I play with a lot of cheats. Pretty much makes the game boring for me. I really need to play different types of Sims.
  • lydiaofmemeteamlydiaofmemeteam Posts: 32 Member
    edited August 2022
    I play with custom personality traits for my sims to give them some bigger challenges and flaws to deal with, I like having a certain kind of weight to their personality.
    Post edited by lydiaofmemeteam on
  • Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member
    I play vanilla. I used a lot of mods and cc for TS3, but I don't feel the need for it with TS4.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I used to skip mods and play my game with just some cc in it, but I got mccc and its so helpful and enriches so many parts of the game functionality that I now use a combination of cc and mods and will probably never look back.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • CheesySimsLoverCheesySimsLover Posts: 258 Member
    edited December 2018
    for mods, I only have MCCC

I love hair and clothes CC. I also like downloading custom blushes (I feel like TS4 is very limited with blushes compared to previous games).

I've always played with custom hair/clothes, since TS2 days. TS2 was lacking in hair, so I always had tons of custom hairs. I actually like TS4's original hairs better than most CCs. I have a couple custom ones I like, though. However, I'm addicted to downloading new outfits.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited December 2018
    I have MCCC and a few other mods to make the game more realistic and grown up, and I have quite a bit of Maxis match cc.
  • DDirectorDDirector Posts: 35 Member
    I have MCCC too. A lot of CC (the "Mods" folder includes more than 20 000 files), because i create machinima, so you know. I try to make game more awesome.
  • itsbritneybeech1_itsbritneybeech1_ Posts: 15 New Member
    > @Busufu said:
    > I enjoy the game just how it is. Without mods, cc or cheats :)

Yes I agree, this may be a silly question but I have to ask what custom content means, i've heard it many times but have no idea what it means
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    > @Busufu said:

Yes I agree, this may be a silly question but I have to ask what custom content means, i've heard it many times but have no idea what it means

Custum contents are items (hair, clothes) in CAS or build / buy items (furnitures for example) :)

Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I only have the console version playable to me and there are no mods yet so it's vanilla all the way. I feel the game is pretty good without mods I have found. :D
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I've only been playing since June, so I'm only using a little custom content in the form of clothes and hair. Honestly, the amount of mods I use took a nosedive with Sims 3, whereas I had 3 gigs of mods for Sims 2, and a lot of changed behaviors/scripts.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Busufu wrote: »
    > @Busufu said:

Custum contents are items (hair, clothes) in CAS or build / buy items (furnitures for example) :)

You forgot to mention that CC is content made by simmers not EA or Maxis and has the issue of not always getting updates that the game get and having to sometimes need removing or replacing until it's simmer creators can figure out how to update it or else it creates issues in the game. While I love CC myself I will not use it as long as a game is in development as it can cause some doozy of problem - remember the evil doll from Sims 3 got so deranged by updates it turned into a virus and players got banned that shared that content in their build because it truly broke the game. So who'd think a simple but very cute little CC toy could become a true demon doll - the problem with CC in a developing game very well can. Like boots for ladies that turn your kid sims into spider monkeys - what's worse they wouldn't delete.

As I said I do love CC - but just don't like the baggage it carries in a developing sims game no matter how amazing - it is sort of better to just wait for the game to end then download user made content - use Maxis content while in development or just hope it does not go evil because Maxis re-coded or updated.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ctroictroi Posts: 36 Member
    I can't live without my MCCC! I have considered looking at CC for hair coloring & styles, but haven't taken the plunge yet. To me, it is a pain to keep track of where you get things to make sure they are up-to-date. Not sure you need to do that with CC though.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    ctroi wrote: »
    I can't live without my MCCC! I have considered looking at CC for hair coloring & styles, but haven't taken the plunge yet. To me, it is a pain to keep track of where you get things to make sure they are up-to-date. Not sure you need to do that with CC though.

Well it depends on the CC more than anything and if a game update re-coded any meshes your CC was made off of. Like when they did a lot of re-coding in Cats and dogs on furniture - a lot of the CC broke like couches, counters, doors, etc. Or in seasons - especially outdoor stuff and electronics - some clothing. It does seem that CC eyelashes, some hairs, some clothing CC were affected because of their meshes that were altered by such changes.

MCCC is a mod and modders are more likely to stay on top of issues as their creators know most mods need to be made game level compatible - so most patches can affect a mod that will rarely affect CC. The creator of MCCC is really hands on and quick to keep that mod working well as long as users update it with every patch it isn't a problem. It is all the constant needing to update that drives me crazy during a developing game - no one is at fault it is just a necessary evil as lord knows games need constant updates.

I just prefer not to play a game in development with content that can make ones life miserable with mods and CC - especially content you'd never suspect should have been expected to have issues. LOL. I am a lazy player and just want to play my game and would prefer not to download all that cool new user made content until the game has ceased being developed - although that could be "a never" as long as this game is part of live service - That is all new territory for the Sims series as live service indicates the game will continue to get monthly updates and tweaks long after packs stop being a thing unlike Sims 1,2, and 3. All we can do is wait and see what that means.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• harvestmeadowharvestmeadow Posts: 18 Member
    Gotta have mods, it make the sims look so much better. I love the game but EA has just skipped over a lot and there are so many glitches, like nannies not feeding babies because they are watching tv or playing with the dog. I think EA should have feeding a child as the primary focus of a nanny.
  • Marycool33Marycool33 Posts: 151 Member
    i play every game differently lolol

the sims 4 - only mods
    the sims 3 - only EA packs (vanilla)
    the sims 2 - mods and cc (i have soooo many mods and cc for ts2 it's crazy)
  • jupkmnjupkmn Posts: 98 Member
    CC only for CAS, usually just hair and make-up. In TS3 I almost didn't use makeup because it had tons of CC default skins with all the glow I like, but in TS4 I didn't found any that I like, so I downloaded some highlighters and yay :)
    As for mods, I am using MCCC for better story progression, the teleport and some pose packs, so I can do portraits of my families.
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I decided to conduct a poll to see how players play when it comes to Mods, CC, Both or Vanilla. I'm just curious to see, after 4 years since the release, how we all play and why we play that way. I'm sure this has been done before but I couldn't find a recent Poll asking this. If there is one forgive me for posting yet another thread about this.
    *I also want to add this is not a post to bash players on how they play their game. We all have our own unique style of how we play and why we play that way. Please be respectful to one another. Thanks 😊*

I have a lot of mods and cc. The most recent mods I downloaded were The Slice of Life Mod and Freckles and Moles Genetics Mod
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Busufu wrote: »
    > @Busufu said:

You forgot to mention that CC is content made by simmers not EA or Maxis and has the issue of not always getting updates that the game get and having to sometimes need removing or replacing until it's simmer creators can figure out how to update it or else it creates issues in the game. While I love CC myself I will not use it as long as a game is in development as it can cause some doozy of problem - remember the evil doll from Sims 3 got so deranged by updates it turned into a virus and players got banned that shared that content in their build because it truly broke the game. So who'd think a simple but very cute little CC toy could become a true demon doll - the problem with CC in a developing game very well can. Like boots for ladies that turn your kid sims into spider monkeys - what's worse they wouldn't delete.

As I said I do love CC - but just don't like the baggage it carries in a developing sims game no matter how amazing - it is sort of better to just wait for the game to end then download user made content - use Maxis content while in development or just hope it does not go evil because Maxis re-coded or updated.

The Sims 3 exchange was a horror for bad cc. I was lucky enough to escape the doll fiasco, but those boots? They moved around and were VERY hard to get rid of!

In a lot of ways, I am like you. I'm a lazy simmer and I'm not feeling like going around looking for updates for mods every month after a patch. I'll wait til the game is done and then make it how I want it to be.
  • MissyScabtreeMissyScabtree Posts: 81 Member
    I play heavily modded and with a TON of CC B) I prefer to have doom and gloom/uber alternative looks for my sims and the game doesn't have barely any options for the look I go for. To me the vanilla game feels too tame. Not enough drama or grim moments.

I use MCCC, 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and UI Cheats Extension, those I cannot play without. Most of the other mods are custom traits, drugs/alcohol >:) new gameplay items, and custom food/drinks.

On the otherhand, my CC is mostly CAS items and clutter :D I love my homes to look lived in and sometimes messy depending on the sim I'm playing. It does get tiresome trying to find certain things, especially if you use the debug/show hidden objects cheats coupled with alllllllll that CC...haha

Overall I have 15GB of stuff in my Mods folder. I've already gotten rid of several folders, but its hard to stop getting more lol
    "Silence is the most powerful scream."
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    I play with both mods and CC, but with the experience of knowing this can be a high-maintenance task learned from the bad cc we saw over the years in TS2 and TS3.

When the game first launched, I limited myself to only mods, and only those specifically by modders that are active and will do a good job of updating quickly after patches. Past experience in other games is that CC tends to get broken by EP's, particularly Pet and Season EP's, so I didn't download any CC other than mods for the first few years.

Now that we have both pets and seasons, I've started downloading CC pretty regularly. I started with makeup, shoes, and clutter...the things I felt most that I needed better options for. This ultimately led to getting more clothes and hairs as well. Other than clutter, however, I haven't felt the need for any non-CAS cc yet.

I also allowed myself to increase the level of mod usage, though I still limit it to reliable modders. I just turned off automatic game updating so that my game will not update until I tell it to. Going forward, I will just wait to do updates until my most needed mods are cleared for usage (or updated) and I know that CC is not going to wack out my game.

I'm up to about 1.4 gb of mods/cc across 1500 files in the mods directory. Low compared to some people, I know, but still quite a lot considering I didn't start downloading anything but mods until quite recently.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I'm mods only, as I've already played the "update CC constantly" game and I'm not willing to play again. Plus I don't really feel the need yet. I only have a handful of mods too. Compare that with my Sims 2 game - it takes 2 HOURS to load because of all the mods/CC. lol