Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Really EA Maxis Get Famous:(EP)(Please Close)

Comments

• Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited October 2018
    smurfy77 wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    You can use a weather machine to try to make snow if you are really that bothered with it. I am very excited for this pack as I think it will add some more fun to the game. I am actually really sorry that so many seem to be bummed by it, I think it was a very nice surprise.

It's already been said that using the weather machine allows snow to fall but it does not accumulate in certain worlds that wouldn't naturally have snow, like in Oasis Springs. So in these worlds, you cannot build snowpals, have snow ball fights, make snow angels, etc which is what OP wants to be able to do.

Therefore, the weather machine is not the solution.

Yeah but there i the ability to travel, I know it may not be what they want but that is available and they can do all of those things in a place where it does accumulate.

except one problem with that theory you can't control the other sims if they are not in the same area, so everytime I want to experience winter I have to take my family in a make believe car just so one of them can build a snowman when the others want to do other stuff just have to stand and wait until that person get home to do the stuff the want, sorry no thanks.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    You can use a weather machine to try to make snow if you are really that bothered with it. I am very excited for this pack as I think it will add some more fun to the game. I am actually really sorry that so many seem to be bummed by it, I think it was a very nice surprise.

It's already been said that using the weather machine allows snow to fall but it does not accumulate in certain worlds that wouldn't naturally have snow, like in Oasis Springs. So in these worlds, you cannot build snowpals, have snow ball fights, make snow angels, etc which is what OP wants to be able to do.

Yeah but there i the ability to travel, I know it may not be what they want but that is available and they can do all of those things in a place where it does accumulate.

except one problem with that theory you can't control the other sims if they are not in the same area, so everytime I want to experience winter I have to take my family in a make believe car just so one of them can build a snowman when the others want to do other stuff just have to stand and wait until that person get home to do the stuff the want, sorry no thanks.

Well you could make your family a family club and make snow activities part of the club then all of them will perhaps work together. I have not tried this myself as I really don't play clubs but I have heard other players do this to have fun family time together a lot - so I assume it works fairly well. That is if you are interested in that new pack at all.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Well you could make your family a family club and make snow activities part of the club then all of them will perhaps work together. I have not tried this myself as I really don't play clubs but I have heard other players do this to have fun family time together a lot - so I assume it works fairly well. That is if you are interested in that new pack at all.

but I don't want my whole family to do the winter stuff.

• Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Do we already have confirmation that it won’t snow in the new world?

No. But it's being assumed it's based on Los Angeles, which is urban, not a desert, and which doesn't snow.

Also honestly, a desert world where snow stays probably isn't going to interest enough Simmers to ever get developed. The OP should look into the weather control device in the Seasons pack.

There are some great weather mods out there. Check MTS.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Now, I found the Mod First Snow, I only want the snow in Oasis Springs and its a .rar folder, why would I have to use a mod for snow just in one world, which means I would have to enable and disable it when it wasn't winter. However, maybe that might be enough for me to do the little winter stuff, but I doubt it.

Edit: Another thing is its not updated for Seasons, so it may not work.

• Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    Now, I found the Mod First Snow, I only want the snow in Oasis Springs and its a .rar folder, why would I have to use a mod for snow just in one world, which means I would have to enable and disable it when it wasn't winter. However, maybe that might be enough for me to do the little winter stuff, but I doubt it.

Edit: Another thing is its not updated for Seasons, so it may not work.

I am using a weather mod now that changes the various climates. I wanted Forgotten Hollow to be cold most of the time and it is. There is also a mod that changes weather that looks like the thermostat and doesn't bring negative consequences, and no extra animations. This will allow you to skip seasons as well. These mods are made to work with Seasons.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    deleted.

• Options
    Does anyone know how to change save a short video as gif?

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2018
    Does anyone know how to change save a short video as gif?

Just Google “convert mp4 (or whatever format the video is in) to gif” and I’m sure a bunch will pop up
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2018
    That is the thing with this version and it was with the older versions you have to continue to use work arounds and even those workarounds have limitations and in Sims 4 I see it needing more workarounds options than all the others when an option regardless on how it relates to the RW should be in place for as put out Sims 4 have instances of gameplay that involves fantasy themes which in the RW it does not exist and The Sims was created to let you sculpt the game as you see fit and not be tied to what is in the RW. It is an game to let you escape at least for a little while. If I want to experience RL in an game I can just go outside and get all that. Also, there are plenty of games or simulations that does exactly that. So if I want snow in the desert and it does snow in the desert even if it is an few drops here and there it is still snow and I shouldn't have to go back and play an older version and it just shows one it's shortcomings. It is what it is in Sims 4 and all I can do is wait for it's development cycle to end.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Sims 3 really did do customization better. Just about everything was toggable. How many days each life stage lasted, whether the moon went through phases, whether to have supernaturals/pets/celebrities in your game and furthermore, which supernaturals and which pets and whether to have your families be a part of the celebrity system. You could toggle off seasons and you could specify the length of each independently. You could toggle certain weather types on and off (I think you can do that with t-storms in Sims 4, but Sims 3 allowed you to check off more).

I really am interested to see what the game looks like after it's upgraded. Maybe some of these things that they're unable to do right now they'll be able to implement. Or since they're doing so much re-coding, maybe it will make sense for them at this time to add in toggles. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but it would be cool.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Felicity wrote: »
    Sims 3 really did do customization better. Just about everything was toggable. How many days each life stage lasted, whether the moon went through phases, whether to have supernaturals/pets/celebrities in your game and furthermore, which supernaturals and which pets and whether to have your families be a part of the celebrity system. You could toggle off seasons and you could specify the length of each independently. You could toggle certain weather types on and off (I think you can do that with t-storms in Sims 4, but Sims 3 allowed you to check off more).

I really am interested to see what the game looks like after it's upgraded. Maybe some of these things that they're unable to do right now they'll be able to implement. Or since they're doing so much re-coding, maybe it will make sense for them at this time to add in toggles. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but it would be cool.

Toggles are actually a switch and smart technology may have issues with off and on switches as it is usually in charge and may be part of the reason switching something off breaks the saved game because it can't hold the info if it's shut off. Different kind of technology than Sims 3 used as it also controls the multi-tasking and routing in Sims 4 - so how could you switch these controls off without losing the saves - is the issue I would guess. Sims 3 uses a simpler tech and not so smart technology. It's AI doesn't learn it just follows programming, switches etc - it's sort of like comparing oranges to meat - not even another fruit from what I see. I assume they really can only tune it down, not switch it off.

Think of robotic programming where it uses smart technology - if you switch it off - it just stops working period - not do less of something. The smarter the tech sometimes the harder it is to make it not think for itself and follow it's original set programming. Keep in mind smart technology is what horror movies are made of -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

Toggles are actually a switch and smart technology may have issues with off and on switches as it is usually in charge and may be part of the reason switching something off breaks the saved game because it can't hold the info if it's shut off. Different kind of technology than Sims 3 used as it also controls the multi-tasking and routing in Sims 4 - so how could you switch these controls off without losing the saves - is the issue I would guess. Sims 3 uses a simpler tech and not so smart technology. It's AI doesn't learn it just follows programming, switches etc - it's sort of like comparing oranges to meat - not even another fruit from what I see. I assume they really can only tune it down, not switch it off.

Think of robotic programming where it uses smart technology - if you switch it off - it just stops working period - not do less of something. The smarter the tech sometimes the harder it is to make it not think for itself and follow it's original set programming. Keep in mind smart technology is what horror movies are made of -

Yet modders have been able to put toggles in. Probably not as well as the dev could, but they are definitely possible. There's a mod there that lets you decide how many days each life stage has on the fly. It wouldn't surprise me if this same modder was able to do the same with seasons.

When vampires was released and people were yelling for a toggle, the devs said they decided to not go that route because it would be an arduous task and they felt the resources would be best used elsewhere (and I completely agree with them -- Vampires is still my favorite pack). But since they're recoding, it's not outside the realm of possibility that they'll add toggles. My guess is they won't, mind you, but I do seriously miss the customization options of Sims 3.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Yet modders have been able to put toggles in. Probably not as well as the dev could, but they are definitely possible. There's a mod there that lets you decide how many days each life stage has on the fly. It wouldn't surprise me if this same modder was able to do the same with seasons.

When vampires was released and people were yelling for a toggle, the devs said they decided to not go that route because it would be an arduous task and they felt the resources would be best used elsewhere (and I completely agree with them -- Vampires is still my favorite pack). But since they're recoding, it's not outside the realm of possibility that they'll add toggles. My guess is they won't, mind you, but I do seriously miss the customization options of Sims 3.

Modders do not work deep in the core of the games programming - if you remove their mod all that info is lost as they are just changing the script not adding a true switch in the programming. The devs cannot do that because their changes permanently changes the programming. That is what many players don't get is the modder ads a temp alteration that can be wiped out by something as simple as a path or the programmers recoding the game. Dev changes require a permanent change and they technically can't knowingly break the game play. Most mods are generally to add or remove an action in the game without permanently changing the code. Devs change the code.

A Dev could easily stop the function of any mod - a modder can only affect the game on a temp basis. Also modders can only do what they do as long as the game company shares the code and allows them to make the mods. I am sure many people who like mods are happy EA does allow this.

Okay in the example of the Vamps - Maxis tried that with aliens and it broke the games saves so they had to tune down the visit frequency of aliens instead - but instead of it just turning down the frequency of abduction no one was getting any - so they had to turn them back up. Modders were able to tune it down as they do not work down in the core and the AI stayed in charge but the mod controlled the frequency - of course a simple patch to the game the following month made the mod stop working until the modders I assume fixed it.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    edited October 2018

Jesus, I can't believe how far some people here go to defend such things. We're talking about toggles. Toggles.
    Are you really trying to justify why a game published in 2014 and made by a huge company can't add an option to turn certain seasons or vampires off? I'll simply say the same thing that can be said about many things - Sims 3, their previous game from 2009, had already toggles. Like you could turn supernatural Sims and seasons on and off, and decide about their length.

I think at this point it would be okay to simply agree that yes, toggles should be an option and it's unfortunate we don't have that option instead of desperately trying to justify the lack of these toggles. If you really think their game will stop working if they add toggles then maybe they should rethink their whole game structure :neutral: I'm not saying programing these things is easy-peasy, but this is still a life simulator where we players should be in control and toggles should've been considered since the beginning.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Jesus, I can't believe how far some people here go to defend such things. We're talking about toggles. Toggles.
    Are you really trying to justify why a game published in 2014 and made by a huge company can't add an option to turn certain seasons or vampires off? I'll simply say the same thing that can be said about many things - Sims 3, their previous game from 2009, had already toggles. Like you could turn supernatural Sims and seasons on and off, and decide about their length.

I think at this point it would be okay to simply agree that yes, toggles should be an option and it's unfortunate we don't have that option instead of desperately trying to justify the lack of these toggles. If you really think their game will stop working if they add toggles then maybe they should rethink their whole game structure :neutral: I'm not saying programing these things is easy-peasy, but this is still a life simulator where we players should be in control and toggles should've been considered since the beginning.

And I cannot believe how you play all these games and not know this about the game you are playing seeing they have discussed this on the forum and twitter many times before with this game. Because you don't like something - does not mean you can change the facts. This is not sims 3 - not remotely the same engine or programming so stop comparing it. Doesn't matter what year it is or anything else - it is what it is and I am pretty sure they would not have said these things if it wasn't a fact.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    So, if EA can't change the code to provide the toggles TS3 had (because the more advanced game engine is --functionally--less capable in this regard), but modders can write a script to do so, the question is: why doesn't EA write its own official script(s) to give us the toggles we used to have?

Cynical answer is that the modders are doing it for free, and EA doesn't have to pay programmers to fix the scripts every time they break, saving their resources for other things. Bonus in that if simmers using these mods have problems in their games, EA can blame the mod & delay looking into the problems until enough simmers who play without mods report the same problems.

Btw, let's try to step back from expressing our frustrations with personal remarks, or the thread will get closed. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Tiarella wrote: »
    So, if EA can't change the code to provide the toggles TS3 had (because the more advanced game engine is --functionally--less capable in this regard), but modders can write a script to do so, the question is: why doesn't EA write its own official script(s) to give us the toggles we used to have?

Cynical answer is that the modders are doing it for free, and EA doesn't have to pay programmers to fix the scripts every time they break, saving their resources for other things. Bonus in that if simmers using these mods have problems in their games, EA can blame the mod & delay looking into the problems until enough simmers who play without mods report the same problems.

Btw, let's try to step back from expressing our frustrations with personal remarks, or the thread will get closed. :)

Mods of any kind will not update when the game updates from my understanding. The game updates monthly with live service so that is an issue. Or I think it would be.

Anyway perhaps when they finish rewriting and updating Python - that may make a difference. I don't really care whether or not they have toggles as long as it doesn't wipe out my saves or shut off any Sims in my game. So it really makes no sense to me why anyone would accuse me of defending or excusing anything - I was simply repeating what they said when they turned down aliens on us when the toggles they tried to add back then broke saves. People apparently just like to blame others when you say something they don't like because they don't like it.

I pay attention when the devs talk and tell us - what can I say? But really why would I care anyway if it doesn't affect me. They can have toggles all they want if they ever figure out how without breaking peoples games. I can ignore them just like I ignored them in Sims 3. Real easy.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited October 2018
    Thx for your reply, Writin_Reg. It would be great if the update to Python allows the toggles.

I saw your posts in t'other thread, explaining how many changes this game engine has been able to make, which previous engines could not have done. Is it unreasonable to hope that the engine may someday allow other changes we've asked for that are currently impossible? (Yeah and now my mind is blanking on those changes, sorry, gah! All I can think of is toggles! Time for me to do something else. :wink: )

eta: meant to ask: is it okay to use the @ function to let people know when I'm responding directly to 'em? Don't want to be annoying by doing so unnecessarily.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    All I really wanted is a desert world with snow and I am pretty sure the get Famous world won't have any snow since its based around Hollywood and snow would ruin the parties. I even did a poll forum and your still going to add another world with no snow or like Oasis Springs but green. I am glad that your influenced by the starlight fame, I would buy Get Famous, but because Seasons was not what I expected it to be Get Famous is the last Expansion pack I will buy. So keep on making more stuff because I think I am skipping this one because its not what I want in my Sims Game.

Sims 3 - has desert worlds with snow - I'm sort of glad this one did not follow suit.

But you could turn it off if you wanted. Isn't it the same for TS4?
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    If people want snow in Del Sol Valley+ the Weatger Machine is an option.

Oh, so you have to use a weather machine?
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    If people want snow in Del Sol Valley+ the Weatger Machine is an option.

Oh, so you have to use a weather machine?

if a world isn't layered for snow it wouldn't stick you're probably have to move to Windenburg/Willow Creek/NewCrest/ to get snow..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2018
    Tiarella wrote: »
    eta: meant to ask: is it okay to use the @ function to let people know when I'm responding directly to 'em? Don't want to be annoying by doing so unnecessarily.

Unfortunately on this website, direct quoting someone does not give them a special notification notifying them someone quoted them. The only way to notify someone would be to @theirname. So yea, do that.

For the life of me I have no idea why they haven’t implemented a simple quote notification on this website.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2018
    All I really wanted is a desert world with snow and I am pretty sure the get Famous world won't have any snow since its based around Hollywood and snow would ruin the parties. I even did a poll forum and your still going to add another world with no snow or like Oasis Springs but green. I am glad that your influenced by the starlight fame, I would buy Get Famous, but because Seasons was not what I expected it to be Get Famous is the last Expansion pack I will buy. So keep on making more stuff because I think I am skipping this one because its not what I want in my Sims Game.

Sims 3 - has desert worlds with snow - I'm sort of glad this one did not follow suit.
    I’m just glad I can choose. I played with snow enabled in Sunlit Tides (because I happened to be playing there when Seasons was released and I obviously wanted to experience the pack to the fullest, regardless the world I was playing in - it turned out to be breathtaking by the way, unrealistic maybe but breathtaking), I play with snow disabled in IP now. I could play a Narnia kind of story if I want to with a Jadis cursing the land, turning it into eternal winter without Christmas. I don’t have to but I could. By the way, this is a real life picture of the Sahara.

180109135024-02-sahara-snow-0107-exlarge-169.jpg

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    That's a cool Sahara pic! I was there during the winter... but there's no snow during that time.. but, that would be amazing to see snow over there.. just like what you said @JoAnne65.. creating a Narnia story... that sounds fun!
    OID:- x4m1r4
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top