Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Following Floor Plans

2...Next

Comments

• okesterokester Posts: 4,136 Member
    I usually go with "one foot equals one square". But dimensions aren't always written on the plans, so eyeballing is usually necessary anyway.
    Origin ID: Okest3r_13 Check out my Sims 4 creations!
  • MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
    When I follow a floor plan, I judge distance by the windows.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,847 Member
    I guess I don't care about scale or distance the clock does seem off so I ignore it don't care how long it takes to do anything I mean I'm already just sitting playing a game and can speed up if I have to the more you try the smaller it can get this is better for me is all :smiley:
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    I generally get inspiration from sifting through Google images of a certain style. I dont really go off floor plans in particular but just eyeball it and hope for the best! I like working large lots so I have more freedom and if the build is smaller, I just save to my gallery and drop it on a smaller lot.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    We are really close to having garages. What I do now is build a regular room which will be the garage. I like raised foundations. I delete the floor in the garage so that now the land is exposed. I place cement in this area. Then I take a platform and place it where my stairs will go. I place stairs and a door. The only thing that is missing is a garage door which sits at ground level and would go through the foundation.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I have design books owned by my dad. The first time I used the floor plans was when I start building in TS2. And, it's always ended up not satisfying... as some have suggested, you can create your own ratio for the tiles or simply based on the windows/doors.

But now, I just used google images & plan my own floor plan for inspiration.. If I don't have any... I'll play with my legacy family.. and once I'm bored with them.. I start building... I always find it's hard to follow a floor plan... :/
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    Floor plans seem to leave spaces for things like water heaters and built in closets not to mention fireboxes for fireplaces, with all that dead space I never seem to be able to do floor plans. Instead I used to start with open walls in an L shape to begin placing furniture then close the room when I get it placed.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I use graph paper, for the most part. I square on said graph = I wall panel. If I use a floorplan from a magazine it gets tricky, but keeping with the notion that 1 square = 1 wall panel, you can get a reasonable facsimile. Once you tweak it in your game to best represent the floorplan, transfer that to graph paper.

I was dismayed to realize we didn't have graphs in build mode in Sims2. Someone had recreated the Wright Way house for Sims3. I downloaded it and then decided I would build it in Sims4. I went back into Sims3 and copied it panel for panel onto graph paper. There were a few anomalies in this rendition, so I went back into Sims2 to take another hard look at the original. From there, I fixed what was wrong in the remake and built that into my Sims4 game. (I had it in my head, I would enlarge the house in Sims4. However, the grid isn't the same as in Sims3. The house is already ginormous!)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I've done it many times. There are so many free floor plans on the internet. I have about 5 Hawaiian themed builds that I got the blue-prints off the internet.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    I usually start with cutting the dimensions in half. For example, if a living room on the floor plan is 12x14, I do 6x7 (grid squares). If it's 13x15, I still do 6x7 (since we can't do half-tiles). I then adjust accordingly. Of course, I usually don't follow the floor plan exactly. I just use them to get a basic shape of the house. It just seems easier (for me) to do it this way. But, as someone else said, another easy way is to look at the window placement. It also helps if you know what the sizes of windows and doors are in game.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I follow floor plans that I find online sometimes and it can be very off scale which bothers me because it'll be like the perfect size in the example but super huge in the game.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• KatzMeowzKatzMeowz Posts: 894 Member
    I usually put in the appliances and furniture as I build to help me get a sense of thescale
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top