Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I have a simple question about family and personal inventory, and moving

LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
It's been a while since I last played Sims 3, and I have just created my sim. Due to lag, I am starting her out in an almost empty world. I am setting her up the way I want before saving her to the family bin to place in another game save. My question is will all her stuff in her personal and family inventory carry with her? I know all the other stuff gets saved, but I just can't remember this part (been playing Sims 4, and nothing gets saved there).

Comments

• IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited October 2018
    Yes, everything in her personal and household inventories will save with her. I have done that same thing many times.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Thank you. I use to know all this stuff, but it's been a while since I played. Getting the joy of remembering it all over again. :)
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've had a sim's house transfer with her from Bridgeport to Winfield after saving it to the library and porting her into the Winfield legacy.It's the only way to have the house go with the sim.I usually prefer to start with just one couple in an empty world and play though them getting settled in and getting a house built on their empty lot before other families begin arriving and settling in to build homes on their lots.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    It's been a while since I last played Sims 3, and I have just created my sim. Due to lag, I am starting her out in an almost empty world. I am setting her up the way I want before saving her to the family bin to place in another game save. My question is will all her stuff in her personal and family inventory carry with her? I know all the other stuff gets saved, but I just can't remember this part (been playing Sims 4, and nothing gets saved there).

If your Sim has fish mounted in inventory I find sometimes they don't "travel" well. My Sim often loses his fish from game to game, even the mounted fish on the walls of his house if I save him with the house and put him in a new game. Don't know why but it often happens.

@nickibitsward This I didn't know, thank you for this information. :)
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I've had a sim's house transfer with her from Bridgeport to Winfield after saving it to the library and porting her into the Winfield legacy.It's the only way to have the house go with the sim.I usually prefer to start with just one couple in an empty world and play though them getting settled in and getting a house built on their empty lot before other families begin arriving and settling in to build homes on their lots.

I started my sim out in a very empty world, only has two really huge lots. Did that so I could compact the stuff in CAS, that stuff gets crazy long in loading otherwise.

For the time being, I'm having my sim live in Bridgeport, she's going to stay there until she finishes up her education, and finds herself her future spouse. After that is done I'm going to move the happy couple, and a few of their closest friends with them, to a new town as you suggested. Bridgeport is only good until the second generation is halfway grown, then it gets pretty unplayable for me (always has). I know I can go through the route with NRaas to move them, but I'm just going to start up a new game save. That way it will be a fresh start. If all goes good, I want to attempt a legacy style gameplay. I was thinking of starting the new game save off with 8 sims. So far Devin Ashton will be one of the sims to come along, he is my sim's first friend.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I'm planning to start a new legacy challenge in Logan which is a world I made in CAW and it's totally blank in a new save as it had not lots placed in CAW when I was making it.I'll be starting them out in that town and just import my Mod settings from the 114 NRaas Mods I have installed.Empty worlds can host legacies that start from just one couple and gradually grow to a few in a few years before they start families and those remain stalbe if you tune and configure story progression to run more like the TS2 style of story progression which is mostly in maunal mode.I probably change just about everything in story progression so it's got almost none of the default settings from NRaas when I'm done tuning it.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg

You can save a household with their house to the library and place them in another town. I've done that too. You don't have to move them separately.

If your Sim has fish mounted in inventory I find sometimes they don't "travel" well. My Sim often loses his fish from game to game, even the mounted fish on the walls of his house if I save him with the house and put him in a new game. Don't know why but it often happens.
    I didn't think to mention that photos from a photo booth will be blank. But prom photos and photos taken with a sim's camera will be intact.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »

You can save a household with their house to the library and place them in another town. I've done that too. You don't have to move them separately.

I didn't think to mention that photos from a photo booth will be blank. But prom photos and photos taken with a sim's camera will be intact.

Yes, I've lost the greeting card photos as well.

• bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    Also, paintings that your sims have created will be blank if they have a frame. If they don't have a frame, sometimes they stay, sometimes they're blank.

An important one; if some of your sims are related, and they don't have at least one common ancestor in the house, they won't be related after the move. If they are siblings, they need a parent. Cousins need a grandparent, etc. The common ancestor can be dead, as long as you have their gravestone on the lot, or in somebody's inventory.
    bklienhart wrote: »
    Also, paintings that your sims have created will be blank if they have a frame. If they don't have a frame, sometimes they stay, sometimes they're blank.

I think the issue you're referring to is that when you hang them on the wall, the painting itself disappears, and there's just an empty frame, right? The painting doesn't actually go blank, it disappears, and it happens pretty much every time for me. What I do then is go into buy mode, put it into the household inventory, then place it back on the wall. Or I'll have the sim who has it in their inventory give it to another household member as a gift, then place it on the wall from their inventory. If the painting disappears entirely, frame and all, when I place it on the wall, I use NRaas Master Controller to move all paintings into the household inventory. Then they can be placed on the wall without disappearing.

• klimna2klimna2 Posts: 3 New Member
    i guess the person has agreed that "I enjoy meeting new people" is an accurate description of himself or herself.