Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If you download a sim from Media Fire how would you install it in game

I know it's probably a dumb question but if you download a sim from online how would install it in your game. I did it once but I don't remember what I did.

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited October 2018
    The sim probably comes in Sims3Pack form, like other cc, so it should be placed in Downloads inside your game folder (the full path is Documents\EA\TS3\Downloads). Then the launcher should read it and list it under the Downloads tab. You can install it from there, just like any other store or custom content.

Installing the sim will create or add to an existing .dbc file in DCCache, and it will also create a file in either your Library (households and builds) or SavedSims (sims available in CAS) folder.

If you happened to download just a .package file instead, it would go into either SavedSims or Library, depending on whether the sim counted as a "household" or just a sim saved to the bin in CAS.
  • wsteffi30wsteffi30 Posts: 115 Member
    edited October 2018
    Okay. I have done it but it's been a really long time since I downloaded any sims for the game and I didn't remember what I had done. Thanks for the @puzzlezaddict.
    Post edited by wsteffi30 on
    My downloaded sims off of MediaFire still don't show up in my game. I don't know why but I appreciate the help in trying to install them.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited October 2018
    If the sims were made with content from packs you don't own, or even custom content you don't have installed, it's possible that they might not show up in-game. More likely is that they'd show but need traits or outfits replaced, but it's possible that the game can't figure out what to do with the household at all. (Also, open CAS and check the premades to see whether your downloaded sims show up there.)

What kind of file(s) are you downloading? (Sims3packs or .package) Do they come with any descriptions or instructions? If they're packs, does the launcher successfully install them? You might try installing one file into a clean folder to test it out; if they're .package files, you should clear the cache files inside your game folder before loading the game again. For reference, they are:
    • CASPartCache.package
    • compositorCache.package
    • scriptCache.package
    • simCompositorCache.package
    • socialCache.package
    Hey @puzzlezaddict, I appreciate the help. I found them after I read your post and took a second look at the CAS pre-made sims. Thanks again.
  • rabidgummibearrabidgummibear Posts: 79 Member
    @wsteffi30 No question is a dumb one if you honestly need it answered, friend! I was actually wondering the same thing about .sim and .package files. Just an FYI to anyone reading after the fact, the launcher may prove to be problematic as time goes on. Eventually, I had to give up using it altogether and just drop my files in manually after extracting them via Delphy's Sims3Pack Multi Installer.

modthesims info/d/364038