Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pools are boring.

2...Next

Comments

• SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    It's one of the only ways to get the chubby kiddos to exercise, though (send them to do laps), unless they have the active trait so you can make them do pushups/sit-ups. I assume these pools must be more fun than that, but I'm not sure the kids have any more interest in the pools than the sit-ups/pushups. Hmmm.... weird. I build one simply for that purpose when I have a family with a child - if they have room for it.

My Sims actually seem more interested in sitting and eating their food with their feet in the pool than actually swimming in it.
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • AceOfKnavesAceOfKnaves Posts: 173 Member
    astera00 wrote: »
    Pools definitely need some love. Having played Sims Freeplay before buying Sims 4, it was a real downgrade in terms of pool interactions, can you believe? In Freeplay, there are various water slides (curved and straight ones!), diving boards that comes with a diving hobby (the kind that looks like a plank), inflatable pool furniture, lifeguard chair, lounge chairs, more pools-specific interactions between sims including romantic ones and a vollyball net that you place in the pool where up to four sims can play vollyball! There are even towels that you lay on the side where you can sunbathe and relax.

The pool gets dirty if you don't clean it for a few days and sims refuse to swim in it if it isn't cleaned. Which makes for more immersive gameplay (haha, immersive :sweat: ) As this is a freemium game we're talking about, you can buy a pool-cleaning robot to do the task for you. Oh and I like how you can build an island in the middle of the pool that sims have to swim to.

So yes, remembering that I can get all this on Freeplay reminds me why some aspects of Sims 4 can feel a bit hollow at times and why I spend more time in CAS and build mode. I do prefer 4 a lot more overall, I mean the whole enjoyment in Sims comes from the creation aspect of it for me, but yeah I don't think a paid version of a game should have so much less than the free version sometimes.

This.

I do like that they can sit on the edge and talk or swim laps, and converse while swimming. The death is pretty shameless but it's probably my favorite as far as challenges go. Yeah, I'd like to see some equipment, less childish slides, floaties/floating furniture, games, synchronized swimming, and maybe even a WooHoo option. Hey, it could happen....

Actually, a part of me was hoping you could turn a pool into a skating ring come winter and just have your family skate on it without even leaving the house, but oh well. Maybe one day.

Pools were likely an 'afterthought' considering they were added in a patch, so I'm not sure we'll ever get anything new. Unless it's something out of another EP/SP. What I hate most is when you have a pool already and your sim is steady rolling a want for one. Like, really? You have the best pool in the neighborhood and still want more? They're greedy little rascals, I tell ya. >. >
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    Pools have always been boring actually - I still always liked the choice to have one in my game though. LOL.

I find swimming in the ocean boring too unless it comes with wind sailing, jetskiis, and diving equipment - then I like it.

The most boring thing of all is laying in the sun tanning. I will never for the life of me figure out why anyone like damaging their skin like that - never mind watch a sim do that for hours. To me there is no point but to look 50 when you are 30 years old from doing that kind of thing too much. Never mind the dangers. But really how is that fun and not boring in the sims. You might as well watch a sim take a nap on a couch. Real exciting! NOT.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    TS2 pools had diving boards with several different animations, whether chickening out or different dive styles. Sims also had multiple swim styles, could float on back, and could swim all over the pool, not just laps. Marco Polo has already been noted.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    It amazes me how greatly pools have been ignored since they were patched in all we have got is water colors and that hideous diving platform. We really need a normal diving board, pool slide and some games and new ways our sims cant interact in the pool so annoyed Seasons added nothing.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I wonder if pools and swimming actions might be overhauled altogether if a pack comes out with a seaside holiday world. Possibly that might come out in the future. Water tools were not included in the latest patch so maybe that is to come? It looks like terrain tools have been taken over by someone with great enthusiasm and ability judging from the Livestream.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yeah pools are boring...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    I put a pool in the basement rec room of one home (the dogs loved it, as I mentioned before), but something that was kind-of cool is there was a thing that looks like a drain that actually produces bubbles (and it even looks slightly steamy when inside, which was cool to look at). Looks like it came with 'Get Together'. I may have enjoyed it more than the sims... though the little dogs enjoyed it better than any of us. ;)
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    There should be more thing to do in pools by now.

DreamaDove wrote: »
    Pools definitely need some love. Having played Sims Freeplay before buying Sims 4, it was a real downgrade in terms of pool interactions, can you believe? In Freeplay, there are various water slides (curved and straight ones!), diving boards that comes with a diving hobby (the kind that looks like a plank), inflatable pool furniture, lifeguard chair, lounge chairs, more pools-specific interactions between sims including romantic ones and a vollyball net that you place in the pool where up to four sims can play vollyball! There are even towels that you lay on the side where you can sunbathe and relax.

The pool gets dirty if you don't clean it for a few days and sims refuse to swim in it if it isn't cleaned. Which makes for more immersive gameplay (haha, immersive :sweat: ) As this is a freemium game we're talking about, you can buy a pool-cleaning robot to do the task for you. Oh and I like how you can build an island in the middle of the pool that sims have to swim to.

So yes, remembering that I can get all this on Freeplay reminds me why some aspects of Sims 4 can feel a bit hollow at times and why I spend more time in CAS and build mode. I do prefer 4 a lot more overall, I mean the whole enjoyment in Sims comes from the creation aspect of it for me, but yeah I don't think a paid version of a game should have so much less than the free version sometimes.

wow. that sounds amazing and it makes me incredibly bitter.
    Why is ts4 like this. It just makes me feel like EAxis is cheating us. I want to love ts4 but there's so much missing and I feel like such a fool for supporting it monetarily.

@DreamaDove Yeah, especially since it is 4 years into this game. They are adding things very slowly, and on top of that there is no communication on up coming content until 2 weeks before release, which stinks! So we are just left waiting and waiting... :s This is why TS4 is going to last 8 years.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • astera00astera00 Posts: 267 Member
    Actually, a part of me was hoping you could turn a pool into a skating ring come winter and just have your family skate on it without even leaving the house, but oh well. Maybe one day.

Umm, how should I break this to you? When you get the weather machine in Freeplay, you can do exactly that. Any body of water automatically freezes in the winter and you get to ice-skate on it :sweat_smile: The animations are good too.
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    There was a mod some time ago that increases hygiene while swimming. Why this isnt baseline in the game is beyond me. There is no diving or group activity. Jumping in makes me cringe every time because of the way the head moves back so close to the edge.

Guess it will be in another small pack some day instead of baseline.
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member

Umm, how should I break this to you? When you get the weather machine in Freeplay, you can do exactly that. Any body of water automatically freezes in the winter and you get to ice-skate on it :sweat_smile: The animations are good too.

WHY DOES FREEPLAY HAVE SO MANY FEATURES
    WHY
    WHAT IS THIS
    WHAT IS THE SIMS 4 EVEN
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Freeplay is your typical Skinner's box. It does have a lot of good features, including an open world and the ability to play all the Sims, but it's awful as well unless you really like the real time playing (with the ability to spend real world $$ to speed things up). But I don't like that mobile game model, and Freeplay doesn't even try to be subtle about the massive amount of money it's trying to make on basic gameplay. At least Fallout Shelter, which is pretty much the same thing, tries to be less obvious about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Freeplay both cost less to maintain and makes more money than Sims 4. It's probably why they now have two mobile Sims games and are not worried about them competing against each other.

I think, though, what's most frustrating to me is so many of the small features were just base game in Sims 2 and Sims 3 yet we've been told for years that those features are too advanced for their game engine. If that's the case, they should have worked on a game engine that could handle those basic features.
    edited October 2018

WHY
    WHAT IS THIS
    WHAT IS THE SIMS 4 EVEN

Learn the difference in a pc game and a mobile game - and you can answer your own question.

It is like comparing a cartoon version of a movie to a live action version of a movie. The mobile game is the cartoon version. I will add that many modern day newest mobile games are more advanced than they used to be and use more advanced design much more like PC and console games do - but to me nothing beats the actual pc game in full play compared to it's mobile counter part. Also most mobile games seriously limit how long you can play unless you want to keep giving them real money.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Writin_Reg wrote: »

WHY
    WHAT IS THIS
    WHAT IS THE SIMS 4 EVEN

Learn the difference in a pc game and a mobile game - and you can answer your own question.

It is like comparing a cartoon version of a movie to a live action version of a movie. The mobile game is the cartoon version.

so the cartoon is better.
    I can agree so far, yeah.

edited October 2018
    Felicity wrote: »
    Freeplay is your typical Skinner's box. It does have a lot of good features, including an open world and the ability to play all the Sims, but it's awful as well unless you really like the real time playing (with the ability to spend real world $$ to speed things up). But I don't like that mobile game model, and Freeplay doesn't even try to be subtle about the massive amount of money it's trying to make on basic gameplay. At least Fallout Shelter, which is pretty much the same thing, tries to be less obvious about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Freeplay both cost less to maintain and makes more money than Sims 4. It's probably why they now have two mobile Sims games and are not worried about them competing against each other.

I think, though, what's most frustrating to me is so many of the small features were just base game in Sims 2 and Sims 3 yet we've been told for years that those features are too advanced for their game engine. If that's the case, they should have worked on a game engine that could handle those basic features.

Actually the engine this game has is too advanced. It is the same reason why Sims 1 played on any old pc but why it will not play on most Window 10 pcs because they are technically too advanced for that programming etc that was used for Sims 1. Yet go find yourself some 15 year old pc and get it up and running - and the game works like a charm.

I have many games that will not play on today most advanced systems without some kind of program to dumb down your system mainly because advanced technology does not communicate with old - outdated technology no matter how good you liked that play -

In dreams - I LIVE!

Actually the engine this game has is too advanced. It is the same reason why Sims 1 played on any old pc but why it will not play on most Window 10 pcs because they are technically too advanced for that programming etc that was used for Sims 1. Yet go find yourself some 15 year old pc and get it up and running - and the game works like a charm.

I have many games that will not play on today most advanced systems without some kind of program to dumb down your system mainly because advanced technology does not communicate with old - outdated technology no matter how good you liked that play -

gosh, i get you love the sims 4 and will excuse it for anything, but I don't get many of your comments at all.

the engine is 'too advanced' but it cannot handle basic features? what?

it's a bad engine and that's that.

edited October 2018

I think we're using "too advanced" in different ways. It looks like you're saying it's meant for modern hardware -- that's true (though I didn't say the game was dated). But what I'm saying is it's having issues that prior technology had no issue with and a game engine designed to work on today's hardware shouldn't have those issues either.

ETA: If the game engine truly cannot handle features like, well, spooning or facing each other while dancing, then that's a problem with the engine, not a problem with it being designed on modern hardware for modern hardware.
    edited October 2018

gosh, i get you love the sims 4 and will excuse it for anything, but I don't get many of your comments at all.

Nope I just tell the truth - and you obviously reject it because you dislike the game so much. Seems you'd do better finding another game you actually liked if all you can do is make up things about this one to cast it in a bad light. But say why not go read up on Smart AI and Smart Technology Game engines.

I happen to like all 4 of the Sims series games so I don't have the need to try and find ways to diss them. I have been gaming for a long, long time - know technology and how it works pretty well - even though newer engings like Sims 4's don't have a lot of info out there - there is enough to know it is not the mess you think it is.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited October 2018

I think we're using "too advanced" in different ways. It looks like you're saying it's meant for modern hardware -- that's true (though I didn't say the game was dated). But what I'm saying is it's having issues that prior technology had no issue with and a game engine designed to work on today's hardware shouldn't have those issues either.

ETA: If the game engine truly cannot handle features like, well, spooning or facing each other while dancing, then that's a problem with the engine, not a problem with it being designed on modern hardware for modern hardware.

The only reason this engine could not handle certain features yet was what was needed for those features had not been added to the engine yet. Since the gamecame out the engine has had 2 overhauls in place - who ever heard of a game engine that could handle that in the Sims. How about them going from 32 bit game to a 64 bit game with this same game engine without breaking the game with the game in play. Old engine do not allow these kind of things - what's more this game engine can take all sorts of changes and up grades while in use - unheard of in previous sims game engines. Many - MANY things this engine could not do were just not available to the engine at that point - believe me it can do lots more and from the looks of things they are far into growing it further.

It is just too bad the game was not just started now with the way the engine is now -

I look forward to seeing where it can go personally. I hope I am around.

In dreams - I LIVE!

The only reason this engine could not handle certain features yet was what was needed for those features had not been added to the engine yet. Since the gamecame out the engine has had 2 overhauls in place - who ever heard of a game engine that could handle that in the Sims. How about them going from 32 bit game to a 64 bit game with this same game engine without breaking the game with the game in play. Old engine do not allow these kind of things - what's more this game engine can take all sorts of changes and up grades while in use - unheard of in previous sims game engines. Many - MANY things this engine could not do were just not available to the engine at that point - believe me it can do lots more and from the looks of things they are far from growing it further.

It is just too bad the game was not just started now with the way the engine is now -

I look forward to seeing where it can go personally. I hope I am around.

And that is the problem. I'm hoping with the recoding more things will be possible, but things that were possible in prior games, just small details, were considered "too advanced" for the engine. I mean, you're not saying anything I disagree with, but this engine has real issues with doing things that prior engines could.
    edited October 2018

Nope I just tell the truth - and you obviously reject it because you dislike the game so much.

I really like the sims 4. I play it everyday for worrying amounts of time, and it's because of that that I'm so critical about it. I want it to be better, SO BADLY, especially after playing ts2. It makes me so upset that so many features in past games have been ommited in this one. Maybe the engine is 'more advanced' but if this more advanced engine is not capable of executing the sims like previous engines, then why is it an improvement? That's what I don't understand.

Once more, I love the Sims. For example, my favorite character of all time is a OC of a friend's, and I've always wanted to see him in action. To see him move, instead of just static as in all my drawings. TS4 gave me that, and I'm SO thankful to see him come alive. And that is why I'm so upset that ts4 is so lacking, because I see what it *could* be.

And I'm not making anything up. I'm saying it's a bad engine because it cannot handle basic The Sims needs.
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited October 2018
    Yes, being unhappy with some aspects of TS4, and expressing that unhappiness, does not mean simmers have a "need to try and find ways to diss" TS4.

I fear our frustrations with understanding each other's viewpoints are leading towards making incorrect statements about each other's motivations, and we don't really want to go that route, eh?

ETA: Must be pretty wearying trying to explain the game engine to those of us who don't know much about it, I imagine! :)