Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Shipwrecked! A new Sims' gameplay challenge

Comments

• Options
    Jendowoz0612Jendowoz0612 Posts: 8,212 Member
    Great, looking forward to it, @EuphorialQueen

• Options
    Great, can't wait to see how others are going.

• Options
    tortor135tortor135 Posts: 235 Member
    This challenge looks like so much fun! I just read up on yours @Jendowoz0612 and it's AMAZING! Can't wait to read the next part! After work, I'm definitely going to have to try this challenge out!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Excellent, @tortor135 Can't wait to see how it goes. :)

• Options

• Options
    edited October 2018
    That was quick, I've only just got it up on here after I added it was ready to go. Hope you got the right one. @EuphorialQueen

Ah...never mind you got it in the Aussie Site, I see now.
    Post edited by Jendowoz0612 on

• Options
    I have completed the challenge and made a few adjustments along the way and all is working well. If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to ask. I am putting the last few chapters together now.

• Options
    The new chapter for this will go up Thursday or Friday, Pepes for those following along. ;)

• Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I've been following along with this challenge/story but haven't said anything until now. I like it! I'm doing the NSB challenge right now, but thinking about trying this one out in the future. Rags to Riches style of play is my favorite and I almost always start my Sims out on an empty plot with no simoleons anyway. Your challenge they at least get the necessities though, which is fun. I like how you've been able to weave in the story an explanation for common things needed to play and the PTSD idea was brilliant for explaining the Harvestfest gnomes. Kudos!

May I give some constructive criticism though? It's just a minor thing really, but in my opinion it would help a little bit with the realism and/or immersion aspect of the story. You're too far into it now to make this change, but I thought I'd mention it for any future challenges/stories of this type you may attempt.

What I would change is Kacey's appearance. Especially at the beginning. Someone who finds themselves shipwrecked would not have perfect hair, full make-up, nail polish, so much jewelry and clothes. She looks gorgeous of course, and I know you're into modeling, but it's not very realistic, IF that's what you were attempting to do.

You've been really good about explaining everything else, so maybe you could've written that her suitcase washed up on shore with all her stuff in it or something and then styled her afterward? I don't know, just a suggestion. I hope you don't take this the wrong way. By the way, I love the makeover you gave 'Joe.' You made a mediocre Sim in my opinion look fabulous! I've always admired your skills in making Sims and your talented photo editing abilities in contests. :)

Looking forward to reading the next chapter. I actually thought your post said you'd posted one and the next would be Thursday or Friday until I went to your blog to read it and realized I read it wrong. D'oh! o.O lol
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I don't mind the constructive criticism at all, @Karababy52 and I agree, Perhaps I should have made her a little more bedragled looking at the beginning or as you say, her stuff may have survived, but I doubt that very much. Thank you for the feedback and I'm sure others will heed what you've pointed out, so thank you. <3<3 Chapter 6 will be up on Thursday or Friday.

• Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I don't mind the constructive criticism at all, @Karababy52 and I agree, Perhaps I should have made her a little more bedragled looking at the beginning or as you say, her stuff may have survived, but I doubt that very much. Thank you for the feedback and I'm sure others will heed what you've pointed out, so thank you. <3<3 Chapter 6 will be up on Thursday or Friday.

Oh good, I'm glad you took my little criticism as intended, constructive. Some people don't, they get offended. That's why I hesitated to even say anything at first. But, then I read your blog profile and realized you're around my age and a teacher so I surmised you'd probably be fine with it. Can't wait for the next chapter. Have a great morning/afternoon/evening, whatever it may be where you live. :)

Happy Simming...and blogging! <3
  • Options
    The new chapter is up for reading pepes and I hope you enjoy it. <3

• Options
    edited October 2018
    How is everyone going that have taken up doing the challenge?

• Options
    TheAmazingLeeTheAmazingLee Posts: 140 Member
    I’m just going to be starting this myself. I’m using the heir of my previous drifter challenge but I used cheats to remove her skills and will remove the bonus traits she got from growing up when I get to play again. It looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun.
  • Options
    That is great, @TheAmazingLee I really look forward to seeing her progress. I'm pretty much done testing it and will be putting up the last couple of chapters soon.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Let me know when you finish the first part of your story, Pepe's. <3

• Options
    Here's a little bit of my challenge. I am doing it on my blog but it won't be up until mid-November since it follows after my Drifter challenge.
    pBXjSoB.jpg
    My sim is Alice Driftwood. She's a genius, geeky, bookworm with a desire to be an archaeological scholar. She was on a ship to Selvadorada when it crashed in a storm and she washed up on an island.

0IKuA72.jpg
    She'd been in the scouts as a child, and while she never did get very far in them, she at least learned enough to be able to fish. She wasn't a strong swimmer though, so even though she could see some other islands in the chain she wasn't sure she could get to them. They looked just as uninhabited though.

Pf12IlS.jpg
    After a few days she had to admit that nobody was going to find her any time soon and managed to set up a camp with the emergency supplies that had luckily washed up with her. She managed to build a little workbench to start work on a more stable shelter.

z82uLem.jpg
    The emergency supplies had included some seeds, which she planted along with a few she'd found around the island. She hoped she wouldn't need them, but if she was stuck on the island for any length of time she'd need something besides fish.

EZUIvWc.jpg
    She might only have a few bits of clothing, but she did have blankets and the like as well, so she was glad enough of the materials she was able to use to wash her clothing. The detergent wouldn't last forever but she already had an idea about using some flowers.

zdxnWVp.jpg
    Just as she was starting to get depressed from her loneliness, she found a teenager who had washed up on a nearby island and made the swim to hers after seeing her campfire at night. His name was Nesheem and he was a Scout-which surely had helped him survive on his own. She happily helped him set up a camp of his own nearby.

7IzGo9V.jpg
    Then, not even a few days later (or nights rather) she ran into Alex! The other woman was a bit odd and looked rather sick so Alice offered to help set up a camp for her as well.

zLiKCQg.jpg
    It'd been an entire season since Alice got shipwrecked and she was having to repair things around her camp now. She almost had enough material to build a sturdier shelter, which she was excited for. She'd been through a few rainstorms now and she knew her tent wouldn't stand up to a thunderstorm.

pn56Afb.jpg
    With the help of Nesheem and Alex, she was able to build a little shed, and promised to do the same for them. They had to build it at night because Alex was sensitive to the sun. After Nesheem had left, Alex stayed behind and revealed to Alice that she was sickly because she was a vampire and she hadn't been successful at all at finding any plasma fruit on the island. She promised she wouldn't do anything to harm Alice or Nesheem, but Alice couldn't help but feel worried...
  • Options
    This is a great start, @TheAmazingLee. I like the way the story is going so far. Can't wait to see more. :)<3

• Options
    I'm having a lot of fun with it! I played through summer now and things are getting rolling.
    3GPNDQ4.jpg
    Alice really enjoys her scavenged and repurposed kitchen. It's a good thing so many appliances washed up from the ship she was on. Or maybe other ships that wrecked too. She's just happy she was able to get them to work again...or at least, work for the most part.

UaBTbKZ.jpg
    Pranav is another survivor she met. He's a little bit distant but she's quickly becoming friends with him. Poor guy doesn't have any supplies at all, so she's happy to share with him. He's handy too and figured out how to make little umbrellas from the materials around them, so now she doesn't have to get soaked all the time.

LmZAxVs.jpg
    She's supposed to be building materials to build her friend's shelters but she got a bit distracted making a horse shoe range. Nobody's really complaining though, since now there's something fun to do when they come visit her. And they certainly visit more now.

XsMB5WH.jpg
    Speaking of friends, she was able to solve Alex's problem! It took some work but she has a steady supply of frogs to breed now, and Alex can turn those into plasma! Maybe not as tasty as the actual thing, or even plasma fruits, but it's good enough. She could have done it with fish too but Alice and the others need the fish to eat.

1tqlRP8.jpg
    At the end of summer, Alice was able to convince Pranav to move in with her. He doesn't even have a tent so there's no way he could survive in the colder weather coming. She's also discovered to her dismay that she's falling in love with him. The only problem is that he has a wife and toddler daughter off the island and he's still convinced he'll see them again...

Pule8PQ.jpg
    gSo39Pq.jpg
    At the end of summer this is what her lot/house looks like. She's also almost made enough to build another shelter (Probably Alex's because I dunno how to get Neeshem to move into his alone since he's a teen). So she isn't quite going to make the deadline of fall but she might manage winter. She'll be fairly warm at least!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    This is great, @TheAmazingLee really enjoying reading it. Looking forward to seeing how you go through winter. :)<3

Could you please send me a PM of a waist up shot of Alice so I can make your award for when you complete the challenge.

• Options
    Chapter 7 of Shipwrecked! is up for reading pepes, hope you enjoy it.

• Options
    Ooh, I can't wait to meet their baby. I really liked how you told their rescue!

I had a question-they can't start a family until they build on all the lots right? So they need to build the other three residential lots and the community one first?
  • Options
    That's right, @TheAmazingLee once the other lots are built on and the community lot is done then your Sim can have their family. :)

• Options
    Gotta get one more residential lot then, and a community lot.
    After she has her shelter is she able to find more survivors (besides her spouse?) Or is it just another one if she doesn't get with one of the first two?

I've been playing far too much today! Haha.
    nI9bMCn.jpg
    Fall has arrived, and with it rain. The laundry is stacking up like crazy but Alice is too focused on building shelters for her friends to build any sort of lean-to to keep her clothes dry. Other than that, things are going pretty well.

aL7144S.jpg
    For one, when the weather IS good, Pranav has taken over the task of doing laundry. Turns out he's skilled in sewing and has managed to patch together some new outfits that actually look almost new, out of scavenged cloth and clothing he's found on the beach while fishing.

rScQzvN.jpg
    Alice is feeling pretty nice in her new clothes and it gives her a push to finish Alex's shelter. Now she just needs to get Neeshem's done before winter so he doesn't turn into a sim-Popsicle.

wWTZxqc.jpg
    Things have heated up between Alice and Pranav too. She wasn't going to act on her feelings, what with him still mourning being seperated from his wife and daughter, but close quarters and extended separation from their previous life has resulted in the two of them getting closer than mere friends. They don't really talk about it though, since both feel a little guilty.

cragNGr.jpg
    Pranav can even make sweaters! They have pretty cute warm clothing. She manages to cheer him up on the morning of Harvestfest. It's a hard holiday, since it's the first one they've had since being wrecked. It's especially awkward what with their romantic interaction with each other and the unspoken problem of his love for his wife.

kP49rGK.jpg
    Alice managed to make a little seating area and served up a Grand Fish Feast (because fish is love, fish is life). Alex obviously didn't eat but she really enjoyed the camaraderie of enjoying everyone's company and being thankful for what they have. Like shelters, because Alice even managed to finish Neeshem's. Sort of like a birthday present, as he's now a young adult.

m69Rqwe.jpg
    Pranav ages up into a full adult, which really cements home how long he's been stuck on this island. His wife was quite a bit older than him, so he has to come to the sad conclusion that she's probably passed away of old age by now. Which means there isn't really anything to feel guilty about with Alice...

4kKpY6B.jpg
    Alex's shelter! You can see Alice's home in the background there. It's pretty basic inside, having the bare necessities.

r2Lr6SS.jpg
    Neeshem's shelter! Basically a copy of Alex's, which is in the background there.

So when Alice first started it took almost the entire spring season to find a single person (besides her younger brother who apparently likes to hike on the island but has not been seen since he aged up to teen), but now they're everywhere! It's hard to take a picture without some random sim photobombing it!

Pranav actually was miserable on Harvestfest because his wife died and he got major sad moodlets. At least now he isn't cheating...Moreover, he doesn't know, but he actually has a son as well as a daughter. That'll be interesting to discover...