Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Pupular Now" vs. "Newest"

Since "Pupular Now" was made the default search, it seems that basically nobody is looking for "Newest" items in the Gallery anymore. So, only popular users are getting their content downloaded, and users who are not popular can only plum themselves. This is kind of elitist, I can't understand why this was changed.

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I thought they changed it back to newest?
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    It was confirmed that it would be changed back to newest, but they said it will be a little while until then. Hopefully it will be soon. I have no intentions on picking those items from popular.
  • dirty_milosdirty_milos Posts: 210 Member
    I have always had at least few downloads when I upload some content to the Gallery, but now it is all zero. And when I search Newest and scroll down, it is all just 0 downloads and 0 likes. That looks just awful.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I think there are additional Gallery tweaks coming up which is why they're waiting to do the patch that changes the default.

I actually would really like an All button. I've been trying to find older builds made with only base game items so I can practice remodeling and updating (I can't build worth a lick but I love to remodel) but I haven't been able to find any of them even with just selecting Base Game for the packs used.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    I agree it's elitist, hence discriminating. I don't grab stuff from the gallery often, but when I do I go for the postings that have little to no action. There's a lot of really nice stuff from the 'who?' makers out there that deserves a chance.
    People are downloading the poses, and not the Sims, that is the fact. Most often, what you see in a custom pose doesn't match the Sim in the gameplay.

(But some Sims with custom poses do really match the picture, of course, and they are awesome.)

I tried with a custom pose for the first time few days ago, and just made my Sim looking like a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 with a pose who didn't manage to sell herself. Now she has whole 4 downloads from my Origin friends, but with Newest as the default search, I bet she would have had at least couple of dozen downloads so far, and she would have made into the Popular Now category.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I'm still waiting on this Gallery switch...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    We'll probably get Gallery updates in November along with all the other stuff (Python 3.7 update, new career, terrain tools, maybe a new pack?) -- seems they're really focused on the Python update right now. Not sure if the Gallery and the update are related and that's why the wait.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • GarethlexGarethlex Posts: 159 Member
    I agree it's elitist, hence discriminating. I don't grab stuff from the gallery often, but when I do I go for the postings that have little to no action. There's a lot of really nice stuff from the 'who?' makers out there that deserves a chance.

100% agreed sadly they have tried to copy elitist social media platforms such as Instagram...
  • HalvareshHalvaresh Posts: 22 Member
    It's the click of a button, people. Get a grip.
    You generally find better content in popular now vs newest so it makes sense that pop now would be the default.
    It's the best of both worlds - updated frequently + popular picks.
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    Halvaresh wrote: »
    You generally find better content in popular now vs newest so it makes sense that pop now would be the default.

The problem is that popular now actually isn't being updated frequently, because what's on popular now ends up staying there for a long time due to being continually downloaded. Thankfully, it has long been confirmed that the default will indeed switch back to newest.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I don't want to see popular now, or trending, I'm not Borg and no group think for me. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Hear! Hear!
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Definitely. I used to get like 20ish downloads per build, and now I’m lucky if I get one,
    When "Popular Now" is the default search, people don't even bother to ever check "Newest".
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Definitely. I used to get like 20ish downloads per build, and now I’m lucky if I get one,
    Exactly.
  • LanetjeLanetje Posts: 29 Member
    This still hasn't been changed, right?
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Lanetje wrote: »

When I go to the Gallery, it starts with the newest. I have to change it if I want to see the most popular or popular now.
    So, it seems fixed to me!
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Lanetje wrote: »

When I go to the Gallery, it starts with the newest. I have to change it if I want to see the most popular or popular now.
    So, it seems fixed to me!

Yeah I think they changed it in November or something.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    It was confirmed that it would be changed back to newest, but they said it will be a little while until then. Hopefully it will be soon. I have no intentions on picking those items from popular.

I agree. I know because of all the CC I use I will never get a Maxis Favourite or even acknowledged. I am always building and creating.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]