Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg In one of my TS3 saves, I have a business that I put 6 parking spots in front of it. I noticed that the spots were always filled with cars, even when I only had 1 or 2 customers. There is a business across the street. So I thought the cars might have been from customers shopping across the street.

I haven't noticed any problems, but it's a fairly new save. Guess I'll have to get rid of those parking spots lol. Thanks as always for the great insight on that problem.

That happens to me too. If I really want parking spaces, I just make "fake" ones without the actual spot itself or if I want it to look more "like a business" with customer parking, I use the spaces from buydebug with the cars already in them. So hopefully no build up of cars.

There is a separate mod for TS3 that cleans up the spawning cars. Spawning cars affect performance on some machines, it's a real problem and I can't believe they never did try to fix that.

I fixed it without mods. I already had the world open to fix routing so why not fix it right. There is no need in Sims 3 to have parking spaces seeing sims will pocket their vehicle. Why use a mod when it can be fixed?

Well, I don't know, maybe for the immersion to have parking spaces? Same reason I built malls in TS4 and added parking spaces and enlarged toy cars. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    @Writin_Reg In one of my TS3 saves, I have a business that I put 6 parking spots in front of it. I noticed that the spots were always filled with cars, even when I only had 1 or 2 customers. There is a business across the street. So I thought the cars might have been from customers shopping across the street.

I haven't noticed any problems, but it's a fairly new save. Guess I'll have to get rid of those parking spots lol. Thanks as always for the great insight on that problem.

That happens to me too. If I really want parking spaces, I just make "fake" ones without the actual spot itself or if I want it to look more "like a business" with customer parking, I use the spaces from buydebug with the cars already in them. So hopefully no build up of cars.

There is a separate mod for TS3 that cleans up the spawning cars. Spawning cars affect performance on some machines, it's a real problem and I can't believe they never did try to fix that.

I fixed it without mods. I already had the world open to fix routing so why not fix it right. There is no need in Sims 3 to have parking spaces seeing sims will pocket their vehicle. Why use a mod when it can be fixed?

Because for me it was much more immersive to see sims drive around and have their cars parked around that having no parking lots in an open world. I should not have to remove something that comes with the game to fix a bug. Just my 2 cents on that.
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    How many of these 15 Bad Branding Habits do you think The Sims franchise is suffering from, let alone, 3 more years?
    15-Bad-Branding-Habits.png

"What’s the most common bad habit you have witnessed?"

"One that is becoming increasingly visible and insidious is the desire to satisfy the demands of Wall Street over satisfying the demands of customers."

https://www.skipprichard.com/15-bad-habits-that-inhibit-brand-building/

Since 2009, quite a few there.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2019

You lie to stock companies in the USA it's a serious crime and you get Prison time. So when a meeting involves the stock companies and investors what is said is backed by a trail of proof - believe me.

Have you never heard of Enron and Arthur Andersen? Sheesh....

My father was an accountant and I also took some accounting courses before I made the decision to be an RN. There are ways of moving data around to make a product look profitable for quarterly and annual reports. Then you move them back to their original places afterward.

Did you not hear of the prison time given out to many Enron and Arthur Anderson Executives?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-enron-ceo-jeffrey-skilling-released-from-prison/

Did you not read the articles in the links? Prison time was already reported in those. The point is, is that companies will manipulate data in order to make their products look profitable. Enron/Arthur Andersen is an example of this and for a while, corporations behaved so as not to get caught like Enron and Arthur Andersen. But more than a decade has passed and if you think corporations have stopped this practice though at less egregious levels, then you're quite gullible.

PS - Do you happen to own stock in EA?

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member

That's what I did too. It works.

I remember that an Nrass mod got rid of car "pileups" for me in Sims 3. Those cars gave me problems I remember.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Archieonic wrote: »

Because for me it was much more immersive to see sims drive around and have their cars parked around that having no parking lots in an open world. I should not have to remove something that comes with the game to fix a bug. Just my 2 cents on that.
    How many of these 15 Bad Branding Habits do you think The Sims franchise is suffering from, let alone, 3 more years?

"One that is becoming increasingly visible and insidious is the desire to satisfy the demands of Wall Street over satisfying the demands of customers."

I'd say 2013. That's when I started noticing a change in approach.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,645 Member
    Oh well one piece of dlc Down... what 18 to go? :p

Edit to add with the console news announcement I guess it’s 16

I mean seriously. It’s a shelf.

Kinda like: how hard can it be to bring back doorbells? ;)
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I see why you'd see it around that time, and I'd agree but from the beginning it felt like it was gonna go in all directions. I had a questionable reaction about some of the rabbit holes. But hey, it's subjective.

As hard as a white shelf it seems...lol.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019

You lie to stock companies in the USA it's a serious crime and you get Prison time. So when a meeting involves the stock companies and investors what is said is backed by a trail of proof - believe me.

Have you never heard of Enron and Arthur Andersen? Sheesh....

My father was an accountant and I also took some accounting courses before I made the decision to be an RN. There are ways of moving data around to make a product look profitable for quarterly and annual reports. Then you move them back to their original places afterward.

There was prison time given out to many Enron and Arthur Anderson Executives?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-enron-ceo-jeffrey-skilling-released-from-prison/

Did you not read the articles in the links? Prison time was already reported in those. The point is, is that companies will manipulate data in order to make their products look profitable. Enron/Arthur Andersen is an example of this and for a while, corporations behaved so as not to get caught like Enron and Arthur Andersen. But more than a decade has passed and if you think corporations have stopped this practice though at less egregious levels, then you're quite gullible.

PS - Do you happen to own stock in EA?

Used to among other gaming companies - the Cancer fight I am going through made me cash it all in. It was our retirement fund. Oh well....
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Used to among other gaming companies - the Cancer fight I am going through made me cash it all in. It was our retirement fund. Oh well....

First of all, sorry about you getting ill. That really sucks. And thank you for sharing something so personal.

However I keep on seeing you argue in this place. You know that this is the topic that a lot come to just went and this backwards and forwards is rather pointless. I feel like it may be better for you to focus on the positive threads with other happy simmers that are simming right now. Let us have our place to went :)
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I see why you'd see it around that time, and I'd agree but from the beginning it felt like it was gonna go in all directions. I had a questionable reaction about some of the rabbit holes. But hey, it's subjective.

As hard as a white shelf it seems...lol.
    Ah, ok, I love the rabbithole buildings, I consider them a great addition for immersion. But I don’t really see a link between one ‘feature’ (which was mainly invented because of the open world concept, not some strategy) and this list of misconceptions in relation to how to sell a game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    At this point I feel that The Sims 4 can have 10 years of existance and still worst than TS2 and TS3
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    At this point I feel that The Sims 4 can have 10 years of existance and still worst than TS2 and TS3

To me it is just a case of kicking the van down the road.

TS4 should end this year and we should be talking about a new game by now.

We should not be given teasers for these strange GPS which are far removed from what The Sims should actually be

Indeed they have still not added doorbells yet

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

To me it is just a case of kicking the van down the road.

TS4 should end this year and we should be talking about a new game by now.

We should not be given teasers for these strange GPS which are far removed from what The Sims should actually be

Indeed they have still not added doorbells yet

:disappointed:

Five years old in Sept. less than six months and we still haven't seen swimming in oceans, slow dancing, and a very long laundry list of things that one would think would be in a game like this.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

Well, I don't know, maybe for the immersion to have parking spaces? Same reason I built malls in TS4 and added parking spaces and enlarged toy cars. :D

The Sims 2 was the best for building malls with businesses in them. No car parking spaces but still the best. I spent many hours perfecting my malls. And trailer parks. Loved those.

• Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    I see a lot of players on here that love the Sims 2 best out of all the iterations, It is heartwarming to see the title still gets so much love, it is still my favorite as well, though I love them all.

On topic, I don't think we need 4 more years, I would be satisfied with the game and feel it was complete enough to keep me entertained for a long time to come if they ended it with what we have now. I will enjoy adding university, witches and other stuff to the game if they make them, but I don't feel it is necessary for my enjoyment of the game.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    I can understand the pov that it's had plenty of time and if it's not great by now they should move on.
    BUT, at the same time, I remember when Sims 2&3 ended their run, people complaining there was so much they never got. So many bugs they never fixed. In some ways it felt like they just dropped the games and moved on without finishing them. Then Sims 4 came out and didn't fulfill people's wishes, and they were wanting even more to just go back. Lots of people like me did, and stuck with 2&3 for years, and turned to modders to address things EA never did.
    Sims 4 had a rough start and has had a VERY slow build up to being truly enjoyable. But I think it would be better long term to stick with it, try hard to give people what they want, make sure no bugs are left behind, etc. however long that takes. So that eventually, when/if they do move on, people won't feel like they didn't finish it this time.
    Sims 4 being what it was in the beginning, if Sims 5 came out and didn't fulfill everything people were asking for, the franchise would die. So I say, give it more time. Make sure everyone, including the creators themselves, are ready.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    edited March 2019
    Remember when EA revealed that The Sims 4 was being developed? I dreamed about what they could improved from The Sims 3... I genuinely dreamed about a game with better graphics, an open world without rabbit-holes and some ep features in base game. Nothing happened like that beside the better graphics. What I mean by that is that even if The Sims 5 is eventually announced, my expectations will be totally 0 because I don't trust Maxis anymore, and thats EAs fault.
    edited March 2019
    @LaneBoy1995 I totally agree with what you are saying.

One of the big things for me was the poor pathing in TS3. It was still pretty bad initially in TS4. TS4 pathing has improved, but I can't help but feel they could do a lot better.

Off topic, but I just have to say this. During my TS3 play today, my sim got killed by a meteorite. I had forgotten all about incidents like that in TS3 lol. So glad that doesn't happen in TS4 and hopefully won't happen in the future TS5. Nothing worse than losing a lot of progress from a curve ball that the game throws at you in which you have no control over. Thankfully, I save my game about every hour, but it's still very frustrating when fire, meteors, etc ruin your sim's day.

The Sims 2 was the best for building malls with businesses in them. No car parking spaces but still the best. I spent many hours perfecting my malls. And trailer parks. Loved those.

Yes, me too. :)
    edited March 2019
    @LaneBoy1995 I totally agree with what you are saying.

One of the big things for me was the poor pathing in TS3. It was still pretty bad initially in TS4. TS4 pathing has improved, but I can't help but feel they could do a lot better.

Off topic, but I just have to say this. During my TS3 play today, my sim got killed by a meteorite. I had forgotten all about incidents like that in TS3 lol. So glad that doesn't happen in TS4 and hopefully won't happen in the future TS5. Nothing worse than losing a lot of progress from a curve ball that the game throws at you in which you have no control over. Thankfully, I save my game about every hour, but it's still very frustrating when fire, meteors, etc ruin your sim's day.
    You are aware there’s nothing easier than saving a sim from death when a meteor strikes? Just make them run away from the black shadow? I absolutely adore surprises like that in the game and I’d absolutely want more of it in a Sims 5 myself. Apart from the fact you can always resurrect a sim (there are several options to do that, allowing you to discover corners in gameplay that would have gone unnoticed otherwise) and you’ll find all progress got safely stored when they’re alive again. Including skilling and the adventures they had in the WA worlds.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 I probably could have reset my sim to avoid the meteor as well. It had been so long (years) since I'd experienced a falling meteor that when I got the message that the sky was suddenly dark, I really didn't know what was happening until my sim got crushed lol. I had forgotten all about meteors. I used to usually see meteors only in Lunar Lakes (or whatever it is called) if I remember correctly.

I also hate getting abducted by aliens, but found I could avoid that by resetting my sim as well.

Anyways, if you like them, then I can put up with them and just be more aware so I can avoid my sim getting crushed.
    Lol, panic struck then. But...., isn’t that what makes the game amazing :D ? I remember I went to the toilet once while my sim was inventing. Suddenly I heard horrifying screams coming down the stairs. I quickly finished and ran upstairs to my PC, where I was just in time to watch him die in flames lol. Well, not lol, obviously, I mean, poor sim, but from a player’s perspective it was lol. This was in 2010 and I still remember :D But next time (and there aren’t that many meteor strikes, though you can trigger them) just remember that simply ordering your sim to walk away will work ;) I love the abductions as well, both in Sims 3 and 4. But then, I don’t mind the supernatural aspect, I know some people do.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    edited March 2019
    So I read just this version of the Sims is north of 1 billon in revenue. Why would they stop any time soon?
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Drakos wrote: »
    So I read just this version of the Sims is north of 1 billon in revenue. Why would they stop any time soon?

They said the sims not the sims 4. I don’t believe for a second the sims 4 in its own sold a billion copies even across multiple platforms.
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    edited March 2019
    Drakos wrote: »

They said the sims not the sims 4. I don’t believe for a second the sims 4 in its own sold a billion copies even across multiple platforms.

they said sims 4. Edit -> They said sims 4. 'The Sims 4 has crossed the $1 billion lifetime revenue threshold' That include pc and console
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top