Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What I think about the lack of Transportation in SIMS4

I want to talk about a topic. This is actually a subject that I should have brought up three years ago. It's a subject that anyone who is bound by a planet should think about. - The Transportation.

Everyone knows that The Sims 4 has no means of Transportation. I feel a lot of inconvenience there. I would like to present it in three ways.

1) No characteristics of Worlds
That is not to say that the worlds of The Sims 4 do not have any characteristics. Hydrosphere, Ecoregions, Climates - Each world has its own characteristics, and the <Seasons> pack has been added, its features have become even clearer. But our worlds have no Transportational characteristics.

We consider a lot when choosing our accommodations. Isn't it cold? Isn’t it too cloudy? Isn't the neighbor weird? And of course we also worry about Transportation. Is it close to work, school or the station? Is the facility accessible? Is there a parking space? Isn't the traffic jam bad? In the real world we cannot avoid these issues. And according to these issues we divide the area into cities and villages.

Thus in The Sims 4 where there is no <Transportational Characteristics>, Technically speaking The San Myshuno is not a city, although we can find a variety of cultural events and amenities in this World. Comparing the accessibility to a particular workplace or hospital, San Myshuno has no distinct advantage from other Worlds. In other words, we have no reason to live there at a high cost. In fact, even the cost is not clear in The Sims 4. Oh, It's a city without rush hour! What a Saint! Perhaps the Sims 4 politician would do a quarter less than the real politicians.

0VW3mDQ.jpg

2) No stress
If you have a job or have to attend a school, what time do you get up to get there? Your answer will depend on the Transportation to work. We are always suffering from the rush hour. We should walk, run, or line up and learn to drive to go somewhere - Sometimes we can get badly hurt or die because of this.

But Sims don't have to do that in Sims 4. Because the Supernatural Pack is included in the Sims 4. 『The sims 4 Supernatural -Teleport!』
Rfq3j7q.jpg

There is no need to worry about traffic jams caused by heavy snow, and there is no reason to worry about going to and from work even if you live in a remote mountain. You cannot find a patient who was injured in a traffic accident in any hospital. Of course, there is no reason to worry about the cost of Transportation or carpool, and no reason to buy insurance.

Unfortunately, these physical freedoms were not given to objects. Pizza, groceries, and other things you can buy on the Internet cannot use teleportation. :-(

Anyway, Sims are free from the stresses of traffic and as they are free, I feel a sense of emptiness and disjunction in the game.

3) No cars

No Transportation is similar to no Telecommunication. Imagine a world in which everyone has telepathic powers and doesn't need a cell phone. No one carries a cell phone. You can't buy a cell phone anywhere. It is very awkward, isn’t it? A world where no one owns a car is also awkward. In The Sims 4, no one can own a car except for Kids.
mYp69Ps.png

Teenagers do not take tests to get a driver's license. The Young don't have to save money to buy their own cars. No matter how fancy you live in your mansion, you don't have a single car, even if you have enough money to keep buying a lot of Rolls Royces.

In modern society, cars are not just a means of Transportation. Like houses and clothes, they are not only must-have necessities but also luxuries that represent the wealth and status of the owners. We deduce his occupation or guess his fortune by looking at his car.

There are no police cars, no fire trucks, no used cars, no broken cars, and no expensive cars in The Sims 4. Is it eco-friendly utopia? Has EA so much emphasis been placed on environmental value that it erased the car at Sims 4? And is it a completely equal world where everyone shares the same means of Transportation (a teleport power)? Don't we need to feel a relative deprivation in a Hollywood star's exclusive helicopter anymore?
ttI1KDj.jpg

So far, I’ve talked about things that are inconvenient because there is no Transportation in Sims 4. I've been waiting for traffic patches since 2014 when The Sims 4 was first released. Since I have played very passive so far, I'm not sure what other users will think of this game. But I've summed up what I think is lacking in Sims 4 from the point of view of Transportation. Some are too late to resolve with additional patches. I am deeply sorry for that.

It has been four years since the first release of The Sims 4. There have been many things to be thankful to Sims users and developers. However, it was a long time ago that Sims 4 felt funny. I don't know how to get there. This is the Sims 4 I feel today.

Comments

• Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Brilliantly and amusingly written! :) This makes me miss playing TS3. Nothing like it when your sim gets in the car and drives to where they want to go. Its of course more fun with the fast sports cars, than the cheap rustbucket-on-wheels Jalopy (seems all the townies were driving that one, though) or of course the amazing Woo Woo 4000 if you're a fireman (it wasn't that fast, but looked awesome). I always used to right click to follow the sim wherever.

Unfortunately, I doubt very much that cars will make a come-back to TS4. I mean, where would we use them? Cars would only make sense to me, if the world was open like TS3. Its pointless even IF they open up the individual neighbourhoods, as they are really too small. There are no places to drive.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    In sims 2 cars had no real reason to be and yet they existed.. it's just not realistic to not own a car, even though they serve no purpose.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    It's a loading screen - would you really get that much out of a picture of a car instead of a plumbob logo? For travel within the neighbourhood, bicycles might make sense. I have the Spa Day pack, so all my Sims get high enough in wellness to teleport around the neighbourhood. I don't really want to watch my Sims get from one place to another - I'm more interested in what they're going to do when they get there.

(It was sort of fun to see my Sims get whisked off to work by helicopter in Sims 2. But I'm just not all that interested in seeing a car materialise to get my Sims to work and then disappear.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    SiliClone wrote: »
    In sims 2 cars had no real reason to be and yet they existed.. it's just not realistic to not own a car, even though they serve no purpose.

I'm meh on adding drivable cars to Sims 4 at this point (they could be added to the base game of the hypothetical Sims 5) but I'd like a return of the fix-it car from the Sims 3 Store (came with Roaring Heights). Would be an additional way to build Handiness, Sims could work on it together to build relationship, and it could be upgraded. Maybe Sims could take it to a lot and show it off, like people go to car shows to show off classic cars they've restored.

In many large cities, cars are a rarity. My husband's best friend from high school lives in NYC and doesn't even own a car; he uses the subways and buses to get where he needs to go, and if he has to go out to the 'burbs he rents a car. Parking is so expensive and difficult in big cities and they have excellent transit so it makes no sense economically. I use my imagination and figure when the Sims are traveling between neighborhoods in SM they're riding a bus or the subway.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2018
    There should at least be some fake police cars, fire trucks. trash, dump trucks passing by on the fake roads. It's also weird to see those little box cars with no one in them....I've zoomed in and there isn't anyone in them..put a stick man in there. Like the 2D sketchy figure of Bella and Don in the hot air ballon (hood decoration) flying over head in TS2. At least give us a shadow of a Sim in those fake cars and more fake automobiles to make me think yes, this isn't some weird little town where they don't have a police car, cruiser and or fire truck. Or no one ever comes by to dump all those cans where townies pick up trash...where are the dumpsters and dump trucks?

And the trolly is empty, like that Twilight Zone episode where there is no one driving the buses, trolly, trains etc. Because it's a model set with giant child playing with her model of a town and it's 'decorations'.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I think a lot of people, including myself, would love to see the return of cars. It doesn't need to be anything over the top, just something similar to sims 2.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Looking how the Sims 4 environment is set up Imho adding cars would be implausible for there are multiple loading screens and I say to myself why bother. Anyway at this point I say why bother when they will not add other features that would matter. No matter what EA/Maxis add at this point means nothing to me for the joy and fun is gone for me.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Looking how the Sims 4 environment is set up Imho adding cars would be implausible for there are multiple loading screens and I say to myself why bother. Anyway at this point I say why bother when they will not add other features that would matter. No matter what EA/Maxis add at this point means nothing to me for the joy and fun is gone for me.

Are you playing either of the previous versions? I seriously could not imagine a world without my sims.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

They added cars to Sims 2 when it seemed pretty pointless because of the loading screens. I'm meh on cars at this point -- there are other features that I'd prefer take priority -- but if they do it, fine.

What features that you want that would help return the "joy and fun" to your gameplay? And would you be okay if some of those features came in paid DLC rather than in free patches?
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2018

They added cars to Sims 2 when it seemed pretty pointless because of the loading screens. I'm meh on cars at this point -- there are other features that I'd prefer take priority -- but if they do it, fine.

What features that you want that would help return the "joy and fun" to your gameplay? And would you be okay if some of those features came in paid DLC rather than in free patches?

Actually, there would be an difference between Sims 2 and Sims 4. In Sims 2 you had one loading screen versus multiple screens in Sims 4 if EA/Maxis does it the way I am envisioning it, I do not mind one loading screen. I would love to see terrain editor tools, neighborhood creation tools and lot creation tools. It is not just the matter of paid DLC which I would not pay for being it was included in Sims 3, it is up to the engine and if it is not possible then for me Sims 4 has peaked and at this stage I see no earth breaking features coming. Sims 4 did not evolve as other games in an series evolved meaning they use new features along with old features and not too many old features was cut. Sims 4 was the opposite it sort of evolved backwards and majority of the features was cut. Even if they do add cars or transportation it is not enough for me.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    If they were to incorporate cars in like the sims 2 I'm all for it. If they could some how expand on the sims 2 version of cars, even better. But if they don't plan on doing it this way and doing it similar to the sims 3 (disappearing into cars) no thanks. I'd rather them just keep it as is.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member

I hear you, although I can't really say that the fun has gone from playing Sims 4 because if I'm truthful, the fun (for me personally) was never really there to begin with. Although some features are well done, it still lacks everything I like about a sims game, ie - edit town, adding lots in odd places around the map, travelling to town, CASt, CAW, etc. Nearly every house I ever see has either a car on a driveway or a car parked on the road in front. It seems that nearly everyone in the world has a car except the sims found in Sims 4.

• Options
    HalvareshHalvaresh Posts: 22 Member
    I'm with invisiblgirl. It's a loading screen. Not worth wasting resources on.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    For me cars in Sims 2 are far from pointless, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact the teleporting in Sims 4 really bothers me (where it doesn’t bother others so I presume there lies the difference in opinion here). My sim lives in Forgotten Hollow and I was so pleased to discover I could actually send here to a plasma tree behind Vlad’s house while still being able to play her sister at home. Such things matter to me. And I would have even liked it better if she could have used at least a bike for that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Sims 2 cars were not pointless. Far from it. There was a car you could fix up and eventually use which would improve a sims tinkering hobby. Cars could be used to take children to school, drive to work, cars could be stolen by the burglar. Cars could be used for woohoo and to sit and listen to the radio in. If you had a car and went down town you could use the car the car to skip out on a bill. Certain NPC sims had car preferences which would improve your dates with them.

For me the lack of cars in 4 is immersion breaking in the same way it’s immersion breaking watching children leave for school by teleporting at the end of the lot. It’s unrealistic and quite frankly weird after four years a basic feature is still missing.
  • Options
    Sims 2 cars were not pointless. Far from it. There was a car you could fix up and eventually use which would improve a sims tinkering hobby. Cars could be used to take children to school, drive to work, cars could be stolen by the burglar. Cars could be used for woohoo and to sit and listen to the radio in. If you had a car and went down town you could use the car the car to skip out on a bill. Certain NPC sims had car preferences which would improve your dates with them.

For me the lack of cars in 4 is immersion breaking in the same way it’s immersion breaking watching children leave for school by teleporting at the end of the lot. It’s unrealistic and quite frankly weird after four years a basic feature is still missing.
    Indeed all that. Plus the fact that it simply matters to me a sim walks outside, steps into a car and drives off, thén loading screen. Next thing: car arriving, sim stepping out of the car.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Why do we need transport when every destination is a loading screen away?

Then people say they don't need, just want. And I'm like, couldn't they make something more amusing with that time?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I'm really not interested in having cars. In Sims 2 they were mostly useful for having a portable woohoo location. I'd honestly rather have horses that can be ridden around the communal areas.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    In Sims 4 has less loading screens than Sims 2. The first neighbourhoods did, but in Windenburg and Forgotten Hollow my sim can walk around without hitting a loading screen. That takes ages because they have to walk everything.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    In Sims 4 has less loading screens than Sims 2. The first neighbourhoods did, but in Windenburg and Forgotten Hollow my sim can walk around without hitting a loading screen. That takes ages because they have to walk everything.

That is one reason I wanted the run here option. Because that option isn't in TS4 and some Sims will run through the woods in WB and some will walk and it does take a long time. I never knew which one was going to walk those miles or run them. We do need a run here option.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I loved cars in TS2, but I think it was the fact that they actually drove up the driveway and into the garage that had the nice touch for me.
    I particularly loved it for one of my mansions that had a long driveway. It's always nice to see your sims drive up to the house after a long day at work.

TS3 didn't have the nice detail, since they simply transported out of the car and the car teleported to a parking space.
    Driving through town made up for that.

I don't think TS4 would be as nice as they will probably teleport to their parking space, and not as good as TS2 or TS3.
    That said, I would still love to have cars because I would build garages. Cars would be another way for sims to spend their income and provide more evidence of their financial status, tastes, and lifestyles.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I'd still hit the map key, pick a place, and go there immediately, even if we had cars. And cars wouldn't take you into the middle of a park like teleporting from the Wellness skill can either.

I'd like to place cars into driveways or garages for builds, or to work on, but I wouldn't use them. I still remember back in Sims 1 when you'd have to leave a community lot because your needs were dropping, you'd call a cab, and then you'd have to sit there and hope you'd get back in time. No thanks. Even put in some teleporter object mods back then to avoid that very thing, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    I really want cars. I liked them in ts2. I'ts just so annoying to see sims just appear in front of the venue they're going to. At least make sims materialize far away and then walk to where they're going. Otherwise it breaks immersion.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I'd still hit the map key, pick a place, and go there immediately, even if we had cars. And cars wouldn't take you into the middle of a park like teleporting from the Wellness skill can either.

I'd like to place cars into driveways or garages for builds, or to work on, but I wouldn't use them. I still remember back in Sims 1 when you'd have to leave a community lot because your needs were dropping, you'd call a cab, and then you'd have to sit there and hope you'd get back in time. No thanks. Even put in some teleporter object mods back then to avoid that very thing, lol.

That's because TS1 had more realism. Cats, Sims or anyone else sat in the road and actually blocked the cars. And when you hailed a limo in the EP to leave the studio Sims and other cabs and limos were blocking the route to leave. Just like real life. :D ETA: I think Sims should have to deal with traffic jams again. We do and they have it too easy.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Definitely agree with the others that TS2 did cars very well, what you could do with them, the variety of vehicles (esp. with CC, some of which came from EA), the provision of public transportation, and even some of the funny animations. While we're beating on the teleportation, why not have it so that if a sim wants to go from one 'world' to another they have to go to a transportation terminal, board a bus/train/aircraft, and then (presumably via loading screen) arrive at a terminal at the destination. Not only would it be more realistic, but terminals are more than places to catch a ride. Every one I've been to has a variety of eating options, some degree of shopping, rest rooms, and the larger ones have some sort of recreation area. San Myshuno is in serious need of functioning taxis, busses, trams, and subways. Among other things.