Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is gardening completely broken right now

Hi all

Been a say for a while and now starting a new game thinking that gardening has been updated and improved. But I can only water the plants once after I have planted the seed. Then that’s it. I can not do anything afterward. The plant doesn’t even grow further nor produce any yields. Is it a currently known problem. Or is my game broken ? Thanks.

Comments

• layix3nglayix3ng Posts: 111 Member
    Do you have Seasons installed? If you hover on each plant/seed, it will say what season they are suitable for planting. However, if you plant seeds indoor they will grow regardless of the season.
    *insert cool siggy here*
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited September 2018
    The plants don't even have to be indoors, as long as they have a roof overhead, they will still be sheltered, and grow as they did before Seasons was added. But yes as long as they are outdoors, they will only grow during certain seasons.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I don’t have seasons....
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    With seasons, the plants needs water often in summer and spring and less in fall, they don't need water in winter.. maybe without season this system is buggy.
    Anyone out there that don't have Seasons, how does your gardening go?
  • afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    Anyone out there that don't have Seasons, how does your gardening go?

It kinda doesn't, unless the plant is high quality :/
    I've been using debug cheats on my plants just for the early stages of the freelance botanist aspiration :|
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Somehow it's like they want you to purchase Seasons...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • SalemSvartulvSalemSvartulv Posts: 123 Member
    I don't hace seasons and my plants also do that 'only watering once' thing, thought they do grow like usual and get weeds and bugs. It's kind of annoying, but maybe it's for the best because other bug I've been having since Seasons came out is that the game won't let me hire a gardener to help with them because 'You need a garden to hire this service' :neutral: I have like 30 plants on my backyard in my current household
    So I have to get seasons for gardening to work then it seems ....
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I have seasons, and the gardening goes well in my sims' homes, thankfully. However, I tried creating parks/generic lots with plants, and those ones are extremely bugged and can't be watered or tended to.
  • ohSnapohSnap Posts: 66 Member
    I don't have seasons but recently played a family with a garderner...

Now that you mention it, I think I only ever watered each plant once, just after I'd planted it. Other than that, it seemed to work normally; each plant grew, needed harvesting and would occasionally evolve into a higher-quality plant.

However, I haven't really ever done much gardening on Sims 4, so I'm not sure if it's changed recently...
    I just played a few more real world hours and the plants did grow and stuff but never need water :)
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I don't have Seasons and I don't plan to get it for quite a while.

I've started several test games since Seasons came out and it's been interesting to see how that EP has affected a non-Seasons game. I've had Sims plant fast growing and slow growing plants. I've had Sims use various types of fertilizer to see if anything speeds up the process. So far, it's just tediously slow. Ever since Seasons came out, plants take a lot longer to need anything. You water them once and it seems like they never need to be watered again but they're always dripping.

Recently I had a Sim start the Freelance Botanist aspiration in another new game. It's always been one of the first aspirations that I have new Sims work on. While my Sim waited for his plants to need anything or do anything, he finished five other aspirations - The Curator, Painter Extraordinaire, Bodybuilder, Nerd Brain, and Fabulously Wealthy. Still waiting on his plants to do something, I had him start Bestselling Author, Archaeology Scholar, Angling Ace, and Jungle Explorer. He's almost finished with Renaissance Sim.

Just before I closed the game this afternoon, I saw weeds sprout in his garden (oh, happy day) which means that bugs will be next. After that, the plants will need fertilizer and then they'll be ready to evolve. And then the waiting game starts again.

• AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I have seasons and most plants I’ve ever planted I only have watered once.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    I just played a few more real world hours and the plants did grow and stuff but never need water :)

I don't have seasons and have noticed that if you take your sims off lot, when you return immediately look at the plants, you'll see them dripping as if they had just been watered; however if you don't send any sims off lot for a few days then they eventually do need watering again. All the other interactions are still there, weed, spray for bugs, harvest and sell etc. They still do increase quality too as long as you fertilze them regularly but it does take longer, I use Growfruit to fertilize and I've had several sims with gardens that are now perfect. :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • KayosCatalystKayosCatalyst Posts: 313 Member
    It is really annoying though with the scientist career because you get things like "water a plant" or "order a co-worker to garden" but you cant do them because it's just broken and the plants never need watering and I am yet to see them harvest-able and my sim is now level 8 and go with her to work every day! the plants are even in season and just sit there not growing any crop or needing watering.
  • TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    It is really annoying though with the scientist career because you get things like "water a plant" or "order a co-worker to garden" but you cant do them because it's just broken and the plants never need watering and I am yet to see them harvest-able and my sim is now level 8 and go with her to work every day! the plants are even in season and just sit there not growing any crop or needing watering.

Yes you're right, it is still broken on the Scientist career, you can't do anything with them. Until they fix this I have plenty of plants at home lot so at least I can create the variou serums that need them. Let's hope they fix this soonest. :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain

I made a suggestion about this issue when I first noticed this. I suggest that they change the Scientist hours to 4 am to whatever hours later, this way the sim would be on the lot, and the plants would go as normal.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

The issue with the gardening is that a Sim has to be on the lot at 5am for the plants to grow/become harvestable, so it's fine at home but not so much at the lab because no one is there that early. That's one bug that'll need fixing before I try the scientist career again.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • It is really annoying though with the scientist career because you get things like "water a plant" or "order a co-worker to garden" but you cant do them because it's just broken and the plants never need watering and I am yet to see them harvest-able and my sim is now level 8 and go with her to work every day! the plants are even in season and just sit there not growing any crop or needing watering.

Same, the plants never need watering or produce anything they just sit there and die. I don’t have seasons either.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member

The issue with the gardening is that a Sim has to be on the lot at 5am for the plants to grow/become harvestable, so it's fine at home but not so much at the lab because no one is there that early. That's one bug that'll need fixing before I try the scientist career again.

What I have done to get around it is buy a cheap seed (or clone a plant) and plant it, then water it or order the coworker to garden. I also usually just buy "seeds" for most of the serums or collect them when the sim is not at work.