Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5? No thank you!

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Anyhow, like I said, this game is more complicated than the average game. You have said nothing to dispute that. I've never heard of the Guild, but I looked it up and it's still not comparable to how The Sims works. And if it was, it wouldn't qualify as the 'average game' that I'm referring to.

No, it has a full political economical and dynastic systems making interactions and AI required way above that of The Sims.

As for games, what are we counting as average? Are we including two button games such as "flappy bird"? Because then of course The sims is more complicated than the average. If we narrow it down to simulation genre, I would say likely it is a lot more simplistic than the average. Especially if we count simulation-strategy titles such as Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings. However I do not know what we are comparing it to. Which is why I would prefer to compare it to to specific game titles and not games as a whole. As games as a whole is a very vast and overpopulated spectrum that we can not calculate the complexity of.

I've seen the Guild games they don't look like they have much al if any it looks fun but its nothing like any sims game
    for anyone who wants to see what the Guild is here's a fun vid
    https://youtu.be/FXgh08uui-w
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited May 2019
    I've seen the Guild games they don't look like they have much al if any it looks fun but its nothing like any sims game

It's a life simulation technically. You start off living in a medieval town, try to further whatever career you chose while marrying up, having kids, sending your kids to school, then you age, your kids take over and the cycle continues.

Plus, you asked about average game complexity. Average game genre wouldn't be simulation even, let alone life simulation, so of course we're going to compare it to literally everything that's currently on the market.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Rumor says Frostbite 3 engine was being used for the next Sims game if the CEO has his way and has the new Atlas (SEED) program used in the next version. EA has plans to use Frostbite and the Atlas program for all their triple A games that are a part of "the service system" according to what Andrew said back in 2018. He has not said anything different since then so that is my guess.

The fact they dropped all 32 bit support furthers my belief that this is where the Sims is going - and supports this as Frostbite requires really good 64 bit gaming level systems.

That's bad. Really bad. That engine is very stiff when it comes to CC and does not support any sort of tech needed to make a Sims game as of now. Bioware had trouble with it when it came to AI, and they still do, and expect it to be very graphically heavy on graphic cards.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    I really hope TS5 IS an improvement like TS2 and TS3 were.

I hope it brings back the color wheel, I hope it has layered clothing, I hope it brings back having to buy clothes at stores and groceries, I hope it has cars with animations and I hope they make the sims have great personalities with an all new conversation/social system.

I hope they get rid of moodlets, I hope they get rid of emotions like they are in TS4, I hope they get rid of the stiff and stuck neighborhoods, I hope they get rid of the giant things, I hope they get rid of the crazy messy careers and I hope they get rid of the party goals and career goals.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited May 2019
    n

Plus, you asked about average game complexity
    no I didn't like I said it looks fun I'd play it but I don't think the game has better AI then the sims game
    but thats just what I think I'm no expert super glad you have a game you can really enjoy Play on man
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Rumor says Frostbite 3 engine was being used for the next Sims game if the CEO has his way and has the new Atlas (SEED) program used in the next version. EA has plans to use Frostbite and the Atlas program for all their triple A games that are a part of "the service system" according to what Andrew said back in 2018. He has not said anything different since then so that is my guess.

The fact they dropped all 32 bit support furthers my belief that this is where the Sims is going - and supports this as Frostbite requires really good 64 bit gaming level systems.

That's bad. Really bad. That engine is very stiff when it comes to CC and does not support any sort of tech needed to make a Sims game as of now. Bioware had trouble with it when it came to AI, and they still do, and expect it to be very graphically heavy on graphic cards.

I read somewhere that Frostbite is ok for action games but not for RPG as Bioware had difficulties with Anthem from the start. Any simulation game like Sims 5 would probably not be suitable or take a very long time to evolve on it.
    Simburian wrote: »

I read somewhere that Frostbite is ok for action games but not for RPG as Bioware had difficulties with Anthem from the start. Any simulation game like Sims 5 would probably not be suitable or take a very long time to evolve on it.

Not just Anthem, Mass Effect Andromeda had major problems due to the engine as well. It wasn't ready for companion AI. Imagine simulation of any kind.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited May 2019
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »

Not just Anthem, Mass Effect Andromeda had major problems due to the engine as well. It wasn't ready for companion AI. Imagine simulation of any kind.

Dragon Age Inquisition too

Compared to Unreal Engine, the NPC behavior is very strange, it shocked me after Mass Effect 3.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2019
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »

Dragon Age Inquisition too

Compared to Unreal Engine, the NPC behavior is very strange, it shocked me after Mass Effect 3.

Keep in mind they have 1000 people working on the Atlas program which is all about AI as well as working with the frostbite engine to work with all EA's Triple A games. It is not just studios using the engine as is any more but the engine evolving for each game individually in the system. They even speak about how well it works for developers of mods and DLC - and believe me the same issues do not look to be issues anymore.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Here's an interesting article I found recently, written by someone who used to work in game development, talking about EA's poor decisions regarding game engines and just how difficult it is to change an engine that was built for something else. He talks a lot about Frostbite. He doesn't discuss Sims 4, but I still think it's very insightful and relates to the problems of the Sims 4 engine.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/04/30/ea-crippled-bioware-with-frostbite/
    #Team Occult
  • StevieJohn88StevieJohn88 Posts: 181 Member
    Don't they always create their own game engine. The sims 4 is smart sim isn't it?
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    @LiELF Thanks for the link. A very informative read. Really reminds me of the TS4 situation where the engine was originally designed to do one thing and then changed to do something it wasn't originally designed to do.
    @LiELF Thanks for the link. A very informative read. Really reminds me of the TS4 situation where the engine was originally designed to do one thing and then changed to do something it wasn't originally designed to do.

Made me think of it too. I honestly don't know much about game engines so I really like to find information written by people who have worked closely in the field.

It's pretty alarming to find out that Sims 4 isn't the first game EA have done this with. It seems to be a thing they force on their devs all the time. No wonder so many games crash and burn under their direction. They try to tell their developers how to make games when they don't even know anything about it themselves.

It doesn't bode well for Sims 5 and it definitely doesn't make Sims 4's future any brighter.
    #Team Occult
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

Made me think of it too. I honestly don't know much about game engines so I really like to find information written by people who have worked closely in the field.

It's pretty alarming to find out that Sims 4 isn't the first game EA have done this with. It seems to be a thing they force on their devs all the time. No wonder so many games crash and burn under their direction. They try to tell their developers how to make games when they don't even know anything about it themselves.

It doesn't bode well for Sims 5 and it definitely doesn't make Sims 4's future any brighter.

I was thinking the same thing about TS5. I don't have any programming or technical knowledge, but just from what I've experienced and read, I honestly haven't had much hope for them producing the quality game that I desire. It really saddens me as I've really loved the franchise up until TS4.

I've heard several people say that EA ruins most games they get involved in. That link gave me some insight as to why that may be happening. EA should really have somebody with a lot of experience in producing quality games, but I'm not optimistic that it will happen since it seems to be an ongoing problem for years.

I was thinking the same thing about TS5. I don't have any programming or technical knowledge, but just from what I've experienced and read, I honestly haven't had much hope for them producing the quality game that I desire. It really saddens me as I've really loved the franchise up until TS4.

I've heard several people say that EA ruins most games they get involved in. That link gave me some insight as to why that may be happening. EA should really have somebody with a lot of experience in producing quality games, but I'm not optimistic that it will happen since it seems to be an ongoing problem for years.

Well, they've recently taken a pretty big hit from messing up some of their other games and I guess they had to lay off a bunch of people (not Sims 4 team). Now they have to answer to their stockholders. Hopefully that will jolt them into realization that they can't keep taking shortcuts with game development if they want to stay afloat. They've made such a mess of their own company.
    #Team Occult
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited May 2019
    no I didn't like I said it looks fun I'd play it but I don't think the game has better AI then the sims game

Just saying, but AI wise, The Sims 4 is a very simplistic game.
    Keep in mind they have 1000 people working on the Atlas program which is all about AI as well as working with the frostbite engine to work with all EA's Triple A games. It is not just studios using the engine as is any more but the engine evolving for each game individually in the system. They even speak about how well it works for developers of mods and DLC - and believe me the same issues do not look to be issues anymore.

It evolves AFTER each game. As in one game has problems, launches with said problems having impacted it, the engine was developed during and after the project to adapt. As Sims would be the first simulation title to run through it, I think that is going to be dev hell, if they do go with Frostbite for it.

edited May 2019

Well, they've recently taken a pretty big hit from messing up some of their other games and I guess they had to lay off a bunch of people (not Sims 4 team). Now they have to answer to their stockholders. Hopefully that will jolt them into realization that they can't keep taking shortcuts with game development if they want to stay afloat. They've made such a mess of their own company.

Honestly forcing online into games that shouldn't be so has also led them to ruin. Changing the whole concept of a game mid production like they did with DA:I, Sims 4, Mass Effect Andromeda and future DA4 is problematic, especially when they give their studios such short time to develop and release a game. Bioware developers said they didn't even know what Anthem was about when they were more than half way through development, and they suffered a lot of engine problems as well.

Frostbite is a pretty engine, I have to say, it's graphics are outstanding but if the tech is too complicated to add to the engine they shouldn't mess with it and should just create a new engine altogether like they did with TS2/TS3/TS4.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

Honestly forcing online into games that shouldn't be so has also led them to ruin. Changing the whole concept of a game mid production like they did with DA:I, Sims 4, Mass Effect Andromeda and future DA4 is problematic, especially when they give their studios such short time to develop and release a game. Bioware developers said they didn't even know what Anthem was about when they were more than half way through development, and they suffered a lot of engine problems as well.

Frostbite is a pretty engine, I have to say, it's graphics are outstanding but if the tech is too complicated to add to the engine they shouldn't mess with it and should just create a new engine altogether like they did with TS2/TS3/TS4.

Yeah, I don't think it would be wise to use anything existing that isn't built for simulation, no matter how pretty it is. I'm hoping that next time around they build an engine specifically for The Sims 5 and the needs of a deep, single player simulation game.

You can tell that something isn't right with Sims 4 because of the way the game fights against the player and only seems capable of repetitions and tying actions to objects rather than learning and simulating. The static world environment and inability to customize it is also testament to a problem that goes deeper than game design. This is what makes me believe that Sims 4's engine was built as a more rigid online multiplayer game and not for expansive, single player simulation.
    #Team Occult
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Me watching all the fighting in this thread right now
    54F2DCO.jpg[\spoiler]
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited May 2019
    Some good points here. But I am not a fan of ruining a beautiful idea that we have no info on yet. I don't say with all the previous evidence we have with TS4 and how EA is still very short on doing what it should for it's paying customers, that it's not a big possibility for TS5 to be terrible.
    I prefer to dream it's gonna be the best :D And if it's not.. well that's not for now. But for later. Then I can explode :)
    edited May 2019

It evolves AFTER each game. As in one game has problems, launches with said problems having impacted it, the engine was developed during and after the project to adapt. As Sims would be the first simulation title to run through it, I think that is going to be dev hell, if they do go with Frostbite for it.

anyway I'm sure we're all hoping sims 5 will happen and that it will be great or we all suffer a loss
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

anyway I'm sure we're all hoping sims 5 will happen and that it will be great or we all suffer a loss

It could be either or.

SimGuruDuke took over SimGuruGrant's old position as Grant moves onto "other Maxis things" (likely The Sims 5). And given his own personal design opinions towards the franchise, controversial approach to fans, controversial Tweets, etc... it could go either way.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited May 2019
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I hope if we get a Sims 5 that EA can use the same engine as The Sims 4 but just build onto it like Sims 3 was build onto The Sims 2.

Doesn’t mean the game would be anything like The Sims 4, but I’d hate to keep hearing with the Sims 5 “our engine didn’t support it so we had to build it first” cos that seems to eat most of the budget.

I hope that they invest sufficient money into building an engine good for life simulation games FIRST. I mean this is EA, so that's unlikely, however if Sims 4 faces things such as simulation lag that they can't figure out how to fix, building something else on this engine would be a disaster.

I think they would build the game using the engine but I think a lot of the bugs like Simulation Lag and the Jump Bugs are how the games are coded, not so much the engine.

The Sims 2 had a very annoying jump bug that plagued it for most of it's shelf life (I haven't seen it in the Mac version which I play which was fixed by the company that handled the Mac release) however, when I played on PC I often encountered it.

Yet I've never had it in The Sims 3, despite all the routing issues that game has.

So I think these kind of bugs are due to how the game is coded, not so much what engine it was used to build it?

I'm not 100% an expert of this though. I do know that even though The Sims 2 and 3 share the same engine, a lot if issues I have with The Sims 2 weren't in Sims 3. The Sims 3 has it's own issues for sure, but they weren't the same bugs. The only ones I have had that are the same in both is NPC's getting stuck doing nothing and I've had to reset them, and this somehow affects Sims who try to interact with them, I then have to reset them as well.

Actually @jackjack_k,

According to Grant The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 do not share the same engine.

You can stop spreading that now. It’s been refuted numerous times in the past, and here it is again from a studio rep. Each game has it’s own engine it’s not like they copy and paste the whole thing into a new game. Making significant modifications to an engine that drastically changes what it’s capable of doing would therefore make it different.

The Sims 3 may have it's *own* engine, but it was built from The Sims 2 engine. They share the same base engine.
    It was confirmed way back when that the Sims 3 engine was a newer version of The Sims 2 engine. It's hard to find as it's so old on the internet, but this is basically the rundown:
    For example, The Sims 2 introduced a 3D engine with visual and technical advances over its predecessor, while its sequel, The Sims 3, brought in a newer version of the engine that incorporated further visual enhancements with a fully fledged texture streaming solution to accommodate the open world.

This is why, The Sims 3 borrows so heavily from The Sims 2. The character models all share the same animations, there are countless objects that are taken right from Sims 2. The entirty of Build Mode for example is almost a life for like from The Sims 2, with the exact same bugs and cheats (Create A Style is obviously the new addition, as well as basements etc). The Sims 3 often brought Sims 2 content like for like into The Sims 3, especially on the Sims 3 store.
    Sims 2 > Sims 3 conversions were able to even bring the functional content from Sims 2, which is impossible if engines are different.

Even to the point that The Sims 3 recognised Sims 2 mods and vice versa. If you put Sims 3 content in The Sims 4, The Sims 4 doesn't even acknowledge it (or the game doesn't load). If you put Sims 2 CC/Mods in The Sims 3 or vice versa, the games will try to use it even if it's unsupported and will cause the game to behave weirdly or crash as soon as the game loads, but the game recognises it, which means the engine was built to do so.

Also Grant is netoriously known for saying things that support his argument. He flat out denied The Sims 3 had more than 2 expansions a year, despite the obvious evidence.
    edited May 2019

The Sims has not been made on Frostbite so far - but I heard in the rumor mill that the next Sims series will be built on Frostbite. Whether that is truth or not I guess we wait and see but no Sims game could have been made previously because of the 32 bit allowances on pcs previously - but now that EA has dropped 32 bit games - it may be true what has just been rumor. The only way we'll know if the rumor is true is if EA tells us.

But thus far all the previous Sims games have had their own engine for each game in the series. The Sims 4 is the first game I know of that was built on this Smart Technology engine - but this has absolutely nothing to do with Frostbite.

By the way DICE builds the Frostbite engine - EA owns DICE. Frostbite 3 (and I hear also 3.5) is the one EA uses now.

https://modcrash.com/frostbite-3-engine-by-dice-worlds-best/

https://www.ea.com/frostbite

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited May 2019

They laid off people to do with marketing and packaging - no one who makes games from what I saw on business week. JUst means players can forget about getting many games on disk anymore period as those were the department that got layoffs. If anything EA is hiring in large number in all kinds of technical fields - that list under careers is huge. So had they been people able to make games - well they wouldn't have been laid off.

As for stockholders I would guess they'd be happy about it - as they have said for a long time they could not see the point in packaging games anymore in a digital world we live in. But honestly have not seen any of them in business news complaining or upset with EA's or anybody else lay offs in gaming companies.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!