Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5? No thank you!

Comments

• Pipersfun2Pipersfun2 Posts: 710 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Pegasys wrote: »
    I don't see the PC versions of games going away. IMHO, PC versions are the best because they are the most moddable.

As far as laptop vs. desktop - my PC is a laptop, but I use it as a desktop, attached to a keyboard, mouse, and big monitor. Best of both worlds!

EA's biggest revenue comes (other than Sports Games) from subscriptons and microtransactions. I would say TS5 won't be a pc game like we know and built more for being able to port to phones and tablets. It is where the money is according to their own reports and EA is running behind (in gaming) and is third in the world, where other companies are making billions on phones and tablets.

Lord, I hope not they would lose me. Been playing sims from sims 1
    while we are playing them,WHO IS PLAYING US?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2019
    Pipersfun2 wrote: »
    I don't see the PC versions of games going away. IMHO, PC versions are the best because they are the most moddable.

As far as laptop vs. desktop - my PC is a laptop, but I use it as a desktop, attached to a keyboard, mouse, and big monitor. Best of both worlds!

EA's biggest revenue comes (other than Sports Games) from subscriptons and microtransactions. I would say TS5 won't be a pc game like we know and built more for being able to port to phones and tablets. It is where the money is according to their own reports and EA is running behind (in gaming) and is third in the world, where other companies are making billions on phones and tablets.

My fear is they will use what they were talking about in an article where players create stuff and it's put into game by other players buying their stuff. What a cut throat idea. lol Where player's stuff becomes the market place, and we pay up if we want any new content (yes, we pay for EPs and GPs etc.) but where we see it in ads (player content) in our game and then it's a popularity thing where most popular 'influencers' sell their content to other players. Something, possibly like mmorpgs do. No, thanks. I would hate that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    Actually, I like that idea. I get all of my custom content from a site that I pay monthly for. The I use their cc in all of my games without issues. These designers have created for Sims since the inception of Sims 2.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Pipersfun2 wrote: »

My fear is they will use what they were talking about in an article where players create stuff and it's put into game by other players buying their stuff. What a cut throat idea. lol Where player's stuff becomes the market place, and we pay up if we want any new content (yes, we pay for EPs and GPs etc.) but where we see it in ads (player content) in our game and then it's a popularity thing where most popular 'influencers' sell their content to other players. Something, possibly like mmorpgs do. No, thanks. I would hate that.

http://dovno.com/2018/11/05/eas-project-atlas-will-power-next-gen-gaming/

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/63714/eas-project-atlas-power-next-gen-gaming/index.html

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• aiexaiex Posts: 103 Member
    I think we can all agree that the developers left out some major things that many players asked for. But, at the same time, we also received many improvements from the previous sims games. Building in TS4 is by far the best. It's incredibly easy to craft homes the way you want to. Although the sims do look rather unrealistic, the graphics are absolutely stunning. For many, they no longer experience lag as well BECAUSE of the loading screens & no open world. I hope that they keep working on TS4 until they've implemented what we've all been asking for.
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I just want them to release sims 1 on origin to play it again...
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    If they want Sims 5 to be successful, it will have to have pets (dogs/cats) and weather effects (rain/snow) already in the base game. This is very, very doable on their part despite what some people think. Whether they think it's potentially profitable, that I don't know.

My opinion on a potential Sims 5 keeps changing, but at the moment I'd be excited to see what it would have to offer. It's still a long ways down the road. If it involves lootboxes though, then I wouldn't touch it.

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @jooxis I think that we are long due having pets and weather in the base game. Start with cats and dogs and some rain and add other pets or weather trough other EPs. Farm animals in a farming EP and more wild animals in maybe a safari EP.

This way we could eliminate to have an actual Pets EP for the 5th time and weather for the forth
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @king_of_simcity7 exactly. Just basic pets and weather effects, and leave the advanced stuff for later EPs. Waiting a 5th time for dogs or rain would be a disaster.
    I mentioned it because I heard some people say that it's too much work to put that stuff in a base game - that is wrong. These people probably haven't played other games or know much about the process of creating games.
    @jooxis More is better than less. Look at the reactions when TS4 was released without even the most basic of content that had been included since TS1. Toddlers took a long time coming but the game is still missing core features. That should never be allowed to happen again
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    @jooxis I think that we are long due having pets and weather in the base game. Start with cats and dogs and some rain and add other pets or weather trough other EPs. Farm animals in a farming EP and more wild animals in maybe a safari EP.

This way we could eliminate to have an actual Pets EP for the 5th time and weather for the forth

This is extremely unlikely to happen though..

They are a business, they want money. Pets and Seasons are BIG sellers so why include something like that in the base game when you can make money out of it?

Would be amazing to have pets and weather in the base game, but let's be realistic here, it's EA we are dealing with.
    edited April 2019
    @rudy8292
    They are a business, they want money. Pets and Seasons are BIG sellers so why include something like that in the base game when you can make money out of it?

Because selling the same rehashed product for a fifth time will backfire on them. Sims 4 sold less than Sims 3. Sims 1 still sold the most copies worldwide. I don't expect Sims 5 to break any records here. They will lose money in the long run.
    The more bare-bones the base game is - the less people will buy it. And let's just say the less people buy the base game, the less people there will be to buy these expansion packs.
    I'm not suggesting the base game should have every single aspect of seasons - like igloos, skating rinks, raking leaves, sunburns, etc... but it has to have basic weather - every single other game has it and it's very easy to implement. Would hurt their pockets if they don't. Then put all the other seasonal stuff into expansions...
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    jooxis wrote: »
    @rudy8292

Because selling the same rehashed product for a fifth time will backfire on them. Sims 4 sold less than Sims 3. Sims 1 still sold the most copies worldwide. I don't expect Sims 5 to break any records here. They will lose money in the long run.
    The more bare-bones the base game is - the less people will buy it. And let's just say the less people buy the base game, the less people there will be to buy these expansion packs.
    I'm not suggesting the base game should have every single aspect of seasons - like igloos, skating rinks, raking leaves, sunburns, etc... but it has to have basic weather - every single other game has it and it's very easy to implement. Would hurt their pockets if they don't. Then put all the other seasonal stuff into expansions...

Just curious where you got your information from regarding game sales because the last I heard from official sources, Sims 4 has made more money than any of the previous games. If there's new information, I'd definitely like an update.
    #Team Occult
    edited April 2019
    @LiELF no problem https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims there's info on Wikipedia for sims as well, but generally the first sims outsold the others. The Sims 3 was a bigger release than 2.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited April 2019
    @jooxis wrote: »
    @LiELF no problem https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims there's info on Wikipedia for sims as well, but generally the first sims outsold the others. The Sims 3 was a bigger release than 2.

The most of TS2 copies are illegal, SecuROM was a big failure and Peer-to-peer was very popular.
    The Sims 3 was the first game which required an EA account and internet.

I don't know how many but TS2 Ultimate Collection was out of stock (all available codes were used).

Just TS2 sales are the tip of the iceberg.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • UniqueNamedSimUniqueNamedSim Posts: 1 New Member
    I think, (if EA puts effort into it, of course) TS5 could do quite well. I’ve heard somewhere they were going to add full weather in TS2 but there was a rendering issue that prevented it being added before the launch. So, considering the fact that if we believe a release date in say, ~2021-2022 is reasonable, TS2 will be 17-18 years old respectively, and so I’m sure that things like weather can be added in a potential TS5.

As others have mentioned, I think now would be a good time for a spinoff game (Sims Medieval & Castaway stories esque). A post-nuclear/Mars scenario would be a good idea (perhaps a Martian scenario could be based off of the failed game ‘SimMars’).

As for TS4, players (as I am with the Sims 3) would continue to play it. Maybe a legacy system could be set up where a smaller team at EA still develops smaller things for TS4 for the fanbase that remains.

Above, I mentioned how I think weather can be in the base game. This means EA would need to find something new and exciting to go with a possible TS5 seasons pack. But, with the current Sims team I think this is entirely possible. Perhaps even replicating the voting they did with Laundry day but on a bigger scale. I’d love to see things like The Sims 5: Extraterrestrial, to focus even more on Alien traits - maybe a The Sims 5: Generations to improve on the TS4 parenthood aspect. Or even a The Sims 5: Sims in the City to improve on the apartment aspects. But there are many more things EA also need to tackle with a potential TS5; traits for example.

In conclusion, I think a TS5 in ~2021-2022 with more base game features would do wonders for EA. Maybe it could even compliment a revival to the SimCity franchise? Who knows?
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited April 2019
    @rudy8292

Yes, but guess what, it's still doing well enough for them to continue, so why wouldn't they keep doing this?

As long as we, the community, keep handing them over our money like it's nothing, they will never learn, they will never improve.

The community has literally lowered their standards every single time a bit further with The Sims 4, people are over the moon for a recolored object nowadays.. it's both hilarious and also very, very sad.

Besides that, they have been literally doing this (selling the same packs over and over) since the beginning, and somehow it still seems to work just fine for them.

If The Sims 4 really did that bad, they would not wait to pull the trigger and call it a day like they did with uuhm for example Simcity.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2019
    @king_of_simcity7 exactly. Just basic pets and weather effects, and leave the advanced stuff for later EPs. Waiting a 5th time for dogs or rain would be a disaster.
    I mentioned it because I heard some people say that it's too much work to put that stuff in a base game - that is wrong. These people probably haven't played other games or know much about the process of creating games.

They spend approximately 3 years just making Pets. Even what you consider 'basic pets' takes a ton of work, and very few would be satisfied with only rain or simple weather. I wouldn't expect any of that to come in the base game. At least, not without serious backlash due to the simplicity.

This game can't be compared to the other games; the gameplay/mechanics are totally different and more complicated.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member

The reason sims 4 didn't sell well.It wasn't because it was rehash.It because had mixed reviews,and lot of complaints.They omitted a lot features in realesed.Like toddlers,and normal careers.A sims 5 could sell well.It depends how good,and fresh the game is.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    They spend approximately 3 years just making Pets. Even what you consider 'basic pets' takes a ton of work, and very few would be satisfied with only rain or simple weather. I wouldn't expect any of that to come in the base game. At least, not without serious backlash due to the simplicity.

This game can't be compared to the other games; the gameplay/mechanics are totally different and more complicated.

1. An EP always takes about 12 months in this iteration from what they've said (they were able to make an EP every 6 months previously. For The Sims 2 they did not have an extra studio like for The Sims 3 as well, it is just that they focused less on piecemealing content). Do you really think that they were developing pets for full 3 years?
    2. I would love basic weather effects. Probably the only game here where we start off with eternal summer, but no rain, or clouds, or any change in the environment really.
    3. What's more complicated? If anything it is a lot more simplified. A sim no longer has stats. A sim no longer has 5 traits that could cause clashing with other traits. Most traits are now mood based meaning that all they do is give a buff that can be overwritten by the environment easily, meaning AI will do less varied things. This is the first game where relationships seem to not be accounted for when behavior is set to free will as well, as the AI will almost never select to fight autonomously, even if their biggest enemy is sitting right next to them.
    IceyJ wrote: »

First of all, there is absolutely no way anyone would complain about simple rain in a base game. Fans would love getting anything weather related in a base game (provided that future expansion would flesh it out more).

Secondly, it doesn't take 3 years to make pets. Nor did they spend 3 years making it. How long it took to come out doesn't mean it took that long to make it. Basic pets (cats/dogs), could easily be included in a base game if they decided to. Especially since they can rehash a lot of the animations from Sims 4.

And lastly, this game can be compared to other games - the gameplay being "different" doesn't mean the development or artwork required is 10x more complicated. It's hard not to sound condescending but I work on making games and know people who can make THIS game from scratch by themselves. It isn't rocket science :)
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Yes, but guess what, it's still doing well enough for them to continue, so why wouldn't they keep doing this?

As long as we, the community, keep handing them over our money like it's nothing, they will never learn, they will never improve.

The community has literally lowered their standards every single time a bit further with The Sims 4, people are over the moon for a recolored object nowadays.. it's both hilarious and also very, very sad.

Besides that, they have been literally doing this (selling the same packs over and over) since the beginning, and somehow it still seems to work just fine for them.

If The Sims 4 really did that bad, they would not wait to pull the trigger and call it a day like they did with uuhm for example Simcity.

You are right, I wouldn't put it past them. But I honestly think they will lose potential money in the long run if they did it "the old way" instead of doing it the way I described (putting cats and dogs in base game and then making a pets expansion with snakes, horses, farm animals, rabbits, squirrels, parrots, customizable aquariums etc. - they would make good bank that way). I guess we'll see :) but you are right that I expect them of doing it your way - I was just saying it would be less profitable for them.

The reason sims 4 didn't sell well.It wasn't because it was rehash.It because had mixed reviews,and lot of complaints.They omitted a lot features in realesed.Like toddlers,and normal careers.A sims 5 could sell well.It depends how good,and fresh the game is.

Yes, it could sell well. I explained how. By offering more in the base game

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member

Yes, it could sell well. I explained how. By offering more in the base game

They do not need to offer more than the base game.
    @rudy8292 wrote: »

This is extremely unlikely to happen though..

Would be amazing to have pets and weather in the base game, but let's be realistic here, it's EA we are dealing with.

If they want to make money then they need to have a good game to sell first :wink:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited April 2019
    I doubt that any new Sims game will be called Sims 5. That'll lay it open to criticism and complaints from the start. It will have to be so different to all that came before to get attention from the gaming world, as The Sims was when it first came out.

Sims 4 will be taken as far as it will go and then a new game with a different name but in the same genre might come out to be played on PC, Mac and all consoles from the start. It'll have to take advantage of all the new advances in technology, many choices as to gameplay and probably leave older simmers behind.

You just have to look at the latest games that are winning awards to see what can be done. Someone needs some imagination.

RedDeadRedemption2 scenario type world with horses to travel on, and notebooks,Forza4, live where you want in the UK, beautiful scenery, seasons, choose your location, with cars to get you there. Return of the Obra Dinn world with puzzles and notebooks.....................................all with first person view optional....................... That's what could be done. How about an island world, over and undersea, boats and mermaids, etc., etc., etc.