Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Invisible second floor - help requested

OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
Yesterday I finished building a church with the second floor being of the balcony on three sides variety, a common feature in old New England meeting houses/churches. When looking at it in play mode from its own level all is well, but when down on the first floor if the camera angle is pointed up all I can see are the ceiling areas under the balconies. The half walls at the edge, the main walls, and ceiling are all missing, nothing but blue sky. Not only does the second floor have its own ceiling, but the structure is roofed. Not only was game set for walls up, but to show roof as well. There is no difference whether the tab key has been hit or not. Is there any way to make the second floor have a proper looking up to it view? This really limits picture taking, not to mention being a serious immersion breaker.

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

You have to be on the 2nd floor and in cameraman mode (tab) too move the view down to the first floor and look up for pictures. :)
    Or be in cameraman mode on the first floor then raise the levels, keeping the view on the first floor.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Thank you! Will try it next time I'm playing. One of the few failures of TS2.
    I wouldn't say it was a failure. The first rl camera wasn't a failure because it didn't have a million pixels and fit in our pocket. :mrgreen:
    True, but once they introduced ceilings they should have thought of the possibility/probability that sooner or later someone would do interior balconies and so make the next ceiling above able to 'cap off' the building. That one extra step. Good thing is that such things are rare in TS2, the less than good thing is that such failures are routine in TS4, which is one reason I've all but abandoned that one.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    True, but once they introduced ceilings they should have thought of the possibility/probability that sooner or later someone would do interior balconies and so make the next ceiling above able to 'cap off' the building. That one extra step. Good thing is that such things are rare in TS2, the less than good thing is that such failures are routine in TS4, which is one reason I've all but abandoned that one.

Or it could have been a limitation in the system that was so embedded in the game's core code, that it would be too costly to fix. So they chose to have ceilings, but understood that there would be some visual issues.
    A possibility I don't have the expertise to check into. Tried the experiment of starting on 2nd floor then tab q down to first. The good news, walls and ceiling to 2nd floor were present. Less than good news is that the floor of the 2nd level/ceiling of 1st was absent. Seeing those massive wooden pews up there supported only by air was not a good feeling. Or photography. Could not try the start at 1st option as once am in camera mode there are no buttons to raise the floor levels, or any other control panel features. To bail out of camera mode to click up floors is just going back to start at floor 2. Very baffling.
    edited September 2018
    Use the number pad 9/3 to raise and lower levels. :)
    *wait- is it 7/1? One is walls up/down the other is level up down.
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
    Rflong7 wrote: »

Or Page Down/Page Up will work as well. If you keep your Num Lock on 3 on the number pad will make the game go at speed 3 if you are in Live mode. It will do nothing if you are in Buy/Build mode.
    edited September 2018
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Or Page Down/Page Up will work as well. If you keep your Num Lock on 3 on the number pad will make the game go at speed 3 if you are in Live mode. It will do nothing if you are in Buy/Build mode.

I was just changing my 7/3 options. XD

It would be 9 and 3 for changing floors. 9 is Page Up if Num Lock is off. 3 is Page Down.

7 & 1 would raise/lower walls if Num Lock is off.
    edited September 2018

It would be 9 and 3 for changing floors. 9 is Page Up if Num Lock is off. 3 is Page Down.

7 & 1 would raise/lower walls if Num Lock is off.

Yes, :)
    I don't use numbers lock and do forget to add that. :lol:

* http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Keyboard_Shortcuts
    The page up key works great! Thanks folks! With solution in hand I can try the assorted number keys at leisure.