Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inventory management help?

Does anyone have any tips for managing inventory? Or are there any mods that put things in an order that makes sense or helps?

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    You could buy the chests in the storage category and use them to manage things a bit better.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    it really depends on what you want, but honestly, the best is "sell just about everything". inventory bloat is one of the largest causes of the 'lag' people experience when their sims just stand around doing nothing while interactions are queued up and time is passing by even when you try to pause. and everything in inventory also boosts the cost of your sim bills every week. so, smaller the inventory (and household inventory) the better

which isn't always as easy as it sounds, honestly. i've got one household that absolutely has to have at least one of every collectible out on display. the matriarch is also a scientist, so she carries a lot of random crystals, metals, and elements (even though has a cloning machine to avoid just that) and more that will turn this into a thousand page essay if i describe

also, the storage chests mentioned work like fridges and bookshelves. however many you put on the lot all lead to the same hammerspace. so you can't say put all frogs in this chest, all crystals in that one and such. opening one, you'd see both frogs and crystals mixed together
  • KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    Is there a mod that will sort it by type or alphabetically?
  • V_IceV_Ice Posts: 49 Member
    I'm not aware of any mods, I just sell the items.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    ..... also, the storage chests mentioned work like fridges and bookshelves. however many you put on the lot all lead to the same hammerspace. so you can't say put all frogs in this chest, all crystals in that one and such. opening one, you'd see both frogs and crystals mixed together

And this makes me miss the chests from World Adventures AND the bookshelves from TS3 even more. Same with the storage shelves (can't remember the names right now, but you could also put stuff in those). It was so much easier to keep things organized in TS3.
  • Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    If you have Get To Work, and have some extra money, you might consider buying a blank lot that would be designated retail. But you could actually build whatever you want there to display your collectables. If you never open the store, it will just be a static lot. The items there won't count toward your taxes/bills. You could also make money from the lot otherwise, but just not mark those items for sale. A restaurant lot would work, too, with the same guidelines, or even a vet office.

An alternative to this might be using an existing museum or art/science center to add a room or wing with your collectibles. I guess it would be similar to donating them. I doubt you would be able to take them back or sell them, but I am not sure.

Collectables will still count as completed, even if you sell them or move them off the main lot.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Yes, I like to hoard my collectibles, so my treasure chest is a nightmare. (I do sell the duplicates, unless it's something like frogs or insects that can be used in fishing or herbalism.)

I didn't know books could be placed in the treasure chest - my 'neat' Sim was reading while sitting on her bed, and when I cancelled the action to send her to bed, she put her book in the treasure chest. (I was looking everywhere for it - usually, even neat Sims will throw their books on the floor if there is no nearby bookshelf or countertop.)
    I just want things to match. :'(