Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Book club - Open for nominations

Comments

• AshubiiAshubii Posts: 795 Member
    I gotta jump in on answering these reader questions, because Fangs and Lobs = Love <3
    For the Readers:

1. Fangs for the Memories has so many unique characters, each one awesome in their own right, but if you had to choose one, who would be your favourite character?

Bianca! She was definitely my favorite from Gen 1. At first I thought it was Byron, but after reading the first Bianca based chapter I was lovestruck!
    2. The Blackwell Family Curse... What did you think it was before the reveal? (Please place your answer behind a spoiler tag in case people haven't gotten to that stage in the story yet.)

Honestly, I didn't have a clue. I imagined it was something truly horrible, but as to what that could've been I was at a loss. It was the one mystery I so looked forward to seeing unraveled, and when it finally was I was definitely not disappointed!
    3. Was there a character that you just couldn't connect with? If so, why?

Mm, that's a hard one - they're all so well-written and easy to love! At first Graham drove me nuts, but in all honesty post-Fangs I have grown to adore him. I think out of all the characters Isla is the one I felt the least connected with. I don't dislike her, but there's something about her personality that made me feel like she and I would not get along well in real life :D
    However, Isla + Graham ended up being my favorite pairing!!
    Oh no! I forgot the raccoon image and joke!!

ad3bc060792c56f911922c7eb8171f0e.png

To be honest, I would love to come up with a really good Vampire joke, but all of my attempts suck.
  • LadyLobsterLadyLobster Posts: 4,133 Member
    I actually saw this on Twitter the other day with the caption "will my husband ever return from the trash" and it reminded me of Byron:

DpCEmvCXcAEcdKZ?format=jpg

As for vampire puns, I've done enough damage in Fangs, I think. ;)

For LadyLobster:

1. Vampires are an incredibly popular genre, but I can imagine that they can be quite a pain to work within the confines of the game for screenshot purposes; are there any Quality of Life mods that you could recommend for other Author's that may be considering starting up or improving their own Vampire story?

Oh my goddd, I couldn't live (and neither could my vampires) without the DayWalker Vampires mod. Byron et al were dying and smoking all the time before that, because I obviously take a lot of screens during the day. (Hey, the lighting is way better!) Industrial strength sunscreen is a thing, okay...? ;) Other than that, just in-game cheats (or MCCC) for tending to vampires' needs, because I don't have time to get them all plasma packs or human meals.

Game Lysander, btw, DID NOT want to feed Bianca his own blood at all in the beginning. Rude.

2. Apart from the fact that they're incredibly cute, why Raccoons? (It's totally okay if that is the only reason! :D )

I was baffled by all the townies dressing up in raccoon suits in San Myshuno, honestly. (Why is there a new animal costume in every pack?!) But I could totally see Byron being fascinated and thinking they were real raccoons.

3. The Blackwell siblings are such wonderful characters with such interesting chemistry between the two of them! Byron is just like a kid that's been let loose in a candy store, never losing that youthful exuberance; whereas Bianca is lost in her own little world of butlers, gift-cards and properness. What was your favourite sibling moment to write/screenshot?

Oooh, I think it was near the end, when
    Byron and Bianca have a heart-to-heart and Bianca actually comes clean and apologizes in her own Bianca way. She was basically a surrogate mom more than a sister for so much of gen 1, but they both needed parents, really.

Thanks again for hosting this! <3 I love your questions.
    uduVcAP.png
    edited October 2018
    @Ashubii <3<3 OMG, I love that pic.

And I absolutely loved the reaction to Graham. I don't think there were many people who felt indifferent--it was either love or hate. Though I think some Graham-haters did eventually soften toward him in later gens.

Isla was an interesting character to write, as guarded and porcupine-like as she was. I'd never written a female character like her before.
    uduVcAP.png
  • haswhhaswh Posts: 2,863 Member

1. Fangs for the Memories has so many unique characters, each one awesome in their own right, but if you had to choose one, who would be your favourite character?

Easy Daya! <3 I fell in love with her voice right away! I felt for her and her situation and was so very happy for her when she found her real path in life!

2. The Blackwell Family Curse... What did you think it was before the reveal? (Please place your answer behind a spoiler tag in case people haven't gotten to that stage in the story yet.)

I had no idea!
    But I was always on edge thinking it was something really horrible. And it was really because no one talked about it ever!
    :|

I guess I would have to say Graham. And I really have no reason why just didn't. *shrugs* Of course I love him now as I do all the characters!

Sorry no gif but here's my pun/joke. On reflection, vampires aren't that scary.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Okay we do need a raccoon that hates water as much as half the crew hates sunlight:

ooVr1wX.gif

1. I love Bianca! And not because she is the ultimate goth gf. :p

It's that I love overly-dramatic narrative voices, especially with her more bitter or mean-spirited moments (like how she regarded Graham). That being said her dramatic flair was easily carried onto other characters in later generations, which I guess might strip some uniqueness value from it. But no one is dramatic like Bianca is...
    They otherwise were more grounded like Ophelia or more sweet and somehow more clueless like Belle.

Also her romantic motivations were the easiest for me to believe throughout the original Fangs for the Memories. And even anything she did afterwards.

2. Note that I might be remembering my first impressions wrong, lol.
    It was a magic combo of infertility (which Bianca swiftly disproved) and a will or other order left by their parents rather than the actual parents themselves being the curse. Now why I thought a will would come into play for immortal vampires is a mystery, but there's sunlight out there~

3. Please don't take any of this the wrong way and note that later generations/outside circumstances and contemplation changed my mind at times. ilu lobs <3 YUGE spoilers lurk beneath!
    Eh it's not secret that I went from hating Graham to tolerating him in the present day/making bad sex jokes in comments or chats at his expense. During Fangs he definitely came off as a spoiled creep and even rereading it still reminds me why I thought that. :p I was also secretly confused by readers who were clearly seeing something I didn't, but we've all reconciled. <3 It's just fiction, guys!

I still have trouble completely understanding or latching onto Penny. I like her! But I always thought her motivations were harder to read (for me anyways, I'm selective with details) and I didn't want her with Byron. :p I may have meanly wanted him to stay a turbo-virgin (jk I'd never :open_mouth:), and as much as I liked their kids later on, I was much more into the stories of other kids from other couples. It's not Penny hatred, just relative confusion and indifference (in a cast of extremely likable and interesting characters, so that's the standard), and I still like seeing her cameos in later gens a ton!
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    @Ashubii <3<3 OMG, I love that pic.

And I absolutely loved the reaction to Graham. I don't think there were many people who felt indifferent--it was either love or hate. Though I think some Graham-haters did eventually soften toward him in later gens.

Isla was an interesting character to write, as guarded and porcupine-like as she was. I'd never written a female character like her before.

You wrote Isla well! I think she's one of the best written characters, actually! She's grown on me too in the later gens <3
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    @InfraGreen That Raccoon looks like it’s playing a harp! :D
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
    @haswh Aww, you loved Daya and Daisy. <3<3

It's funny, originally the curse was meant to be much more terrible. Oh man, if you can believe it, I'd thought about making Fangs a melodrama with lots of deaths and lost loves and Byron having to raise a kid on his own for some reason (because his wife abandoned him????), but melodrama just ain't my thing. I can only be serious for so long.

@InfraGreen Overly dramatic characters are My Thing. I love characters who seem to exist on their own plane of reality. And I have a really easy time writing spoiled brats, which makes me wonder about myself...

LOL, I didn't forget your hatred for Graham for a moment, don't worry. ;) And like I said to Ash, I really enjoyed having such strong reactions to him. Better that than a boring character!

I totally understand your feelings about Penny btw. I remember writing her was very different, because she was the opposite of Byron and Bianca, tending to keep a lot of her thoughts to herself. And
    I wouldn't have chosen Byron as a husband, rofl. But hey, there's a seat for every toilet, as Gal would say.

@Ashubii I love seeing how people's opinions of my characters change as the story progresses. Gen 1 was different from 2 and 3 because I barely had any buffer and could basically see those opinions change in real-time.
    uduVcAP.png
    Answering my own questions:

1. My favourite character was Byron. I just adored his view on life/undeath and I was in tears of laughter more times than I could count whenever it was his POV.

I loved how he was so clueless, so dorky and so devoted to friends and family...
    And of course his devotion to Penny. He was like a puppy but boy did that puppy turn into a direwolf when Penny was threatened by Thaddeus!

2. I also had no idea!!!
    I at first thought that it might be a pack of Vampire Hunters, then I thought that it was Debt Collectors because of Bianca’s spending habits.

3. I didn’t hate or dislike any of the characters in Fangs, but the one character I didn’t really get was Isla...
    I mean, yeah, Graham captured her at one point and tried to make her his trophy Fey, but not once did she try to escape??? Perhaps I missed some Vampire magic or something, but that came across as a bit out of character from what I seen as a fairly strong woman up until that point.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
    @Munterbacon Ha, I had a feeling Byron was your favorite. ;) He was basically a human vampire puppy! Really sweet and loyal and always making messes.

LOL at your curse speculation...Bianca's spending habits took on a life (unlife?) of their own.

I get why you'd think that about Isla too. She was very strong and independent but
    losing Darius really broke her. She just stopped seeing the point in anything really, and at least Graham gave her a way to pass the time, as unpleasant as it was. And maybe she liked riling him up.
    uduVcAP.png
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Favorite Fangs character.

Hmm...

Ahem...cough, cough...

I'll let these screenshots be my answer. :blush:
    WTsoEcJ.png

bPSEdcU.png

uEicbVX.png

3BXnKzU.png

33ovZp4.png

S3Uo0wi.png

AIPzaXG.png

wfQpLaK.png

As for Raccoons...well, here's a cute couple. (Wonder who they are..shh...don't tell Penny!!!)

CPrfhXt.png
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited October 2018
    @pammiechick those aren't pictures of Benny, I cannot believe you were a fave character double agent this whole time. :p

(Benny might rank above Bianca for clear reasons but I was trying to think of the OG Fangs only)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @pammiechick those aren't pictures of Benny, I cannot believe you were a fave character double agent this whole time.

(Benny might rank above Bianca for clear reasons but I was trying to think of the OG Fangs only)

Benny stole my heart, but Byron was my first love. ;)
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Before we get to the questions, I want to do something fun for everyone... A little "Fangs related game" you could say. Channel your inner Byron, and share with us all a Raccoon gif or picture/meme, and a bad Vampire joke/pun.

PKkm1RI.gif?noredirect

I don't have a pun, because vampires suck.
    I'm sorry, Munter started it.
    Oh this is tough! I thought about who my favorite would be throughout the series and it changed frequently, so I'll explain 2.
    People like Lysander and Byron were very easy to like and they frequently traded places for my favorite.
    Someone unexpected became my fav...
    Graham. The chapter which revealed Saul working for him made me admire Graham so much because I loved the idea of him being in control of so much. He seemed to have manipulated SO many aspects of the story (hiring necromancers to pose as renters for Bianca, tailing the fairies, sending his pets to watch after Byron even though they did a terrible job compared to Saul). As we got to know Graham more, I liked him a little less, but felt stubborn about giving up on him, and I'm glad he came around in the end. He was a bit of an idiot but he didn't know any better, and he tried. <3
    I suspected Bianca could not have children or sire new vampires, but that perhaps Byron could. She was so protective of him! When she finally mentioned the little hut she used as a decoy, I suspected the curse may have been a person. Along the lines of my previous suspicions, I wondered if Byron had been promised to someone else, and Bianca didn't approve of whomever was after them. I didn't expect their parents, and it made me laugh so hard!
    Hmmm...Darius, I suppose?
    Particularly his change in attitude once revealing his fae nature. Isla seemed to act much the same as a human or fae. I didn't understand why Darius acted differently. Considering his backstory with Penny, I guess he was trying to keep himself in check? I had expected he would be very protective of her and admire her, which would likely come across like a big brother instead of a potential partner.
    If you have your own questions to ask the readers and/or LadyLobster, please do so, or if you just want to discuss portions of the story that really stood out to you, that's welcome also. If it is sections that are mid to late in the story, I ask that you chuck the comment behind a spoiler tag, just for safety. :)
    Was this story story driven, game driven, or a mix?
    Did you have everything planned out from the start, and if so, did anything change?
    Who is YOUR favorite character?
    Who is your guilty pleasure? ;)

D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
    @pammiechick I'm shocked! Shocked, I say! ;) (Beautiful screenshots btw.)

@Karilan Oooh, someone who liked Lysander best (or second best, depending!). Poor Lysander, usually forgotten in favor of more outrageous personalities. ;) And your reasons in the spoiler were the reasons I had so much fun with Graham.

As for your questions!!

1. Hmm, I'd say it was 99% story driven. Sometimes, though, something would happen when I forgot to turn autonomy off and I'd incorporate it into the story, or I'd be inspired by the lots I downloaded off the gallery. Most stuff I just pulled out of my plum though.

2. I am not a planner. At all! So, so many things changed. The only couple that was set in stone from the beginning was
    Byron and Penny. I'd considered odd pairings like Daya and Darius and maybe even having Isla stay with Saul. The fairy stuff wasn't planned either, because I was intent on not downloading cc, but, well...you saw how that went. ;)

3. This is a tough one. Bianca was my favorite to write, but Byron's mind was always a pleasant place to be.

4. Graham is and forever will be my guilty pleasure. If he appears in every generation I ever write, I apologize in advance.
    uduVcAP.png
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    @pammiechick I'm shocked! Shocked, I say! ;) (Beautiful screenshots btw.)

@Karilan Oooh, someone who liked Lysander best (or second best, depending!). Poor Lysander, usually forgotten in favor of more outrageous personalities. ;) And your reasons in the spoiler were the reasons I had so much fun with Graham.

As for your questions!!

1. Hmm, I'd say it was 99% story driven. Sometimes, though, something would happen when I forgot to turn autonomy off and I'd incorporate it into the story, or I'd be inspired by the lots I downloaded off the gallery. Most stuff I just pulled out of my plum though.

2. I am not a planner. At all! So, so many things changed. The only couple that was set in stone from the beginning was
    Byron and Penny. I'd considered odd pairings like Daya and Darius and maybe even having Isla stay with Saul. The fairy stuff wasn't planned either, because I was intent on not downloading cc, but, well...you saw how that went. ;)

3. This is a tough one. Bianca was my favorite to write, but Byron's mind was always a pleasant place to be.

4. Graham is and forever will be my guilty pleasure. If he appears in every generation I ever write, I apologize in advance.

I forgot to add that by the end of the story with all the context, Lysander is easily my fav because of his dedication and prettiness. <3 It just seemed too easy for him to be fav haha!

As for planning couples...
    Does that mean Bianca and Lysander would have gone UNEXPLORED?! Nope. Can't imagine such a world.

Glad to hear Graham's future is secure! Hope to see more of him! :D
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
    edited October 2018
    OOH! I forgot to answer a few questions:

1. Let me explain my adoration of Byron. 1. He's unselfish, 2. He's ADORBS!!!! 3. He never said a mean thing about anyone! He might have complained about Bianca, but it was through his little bro perspective--very cute. 4. He never gave up on his dreams. 5. He's HILARIOUS! 6. He's smexy 7. He's a vampire :smirk: 8. Count Von Blackwell. :smirk: 9. His bitey nature 10. His childlike charm...need I go on??? :love:

2. The curse..
    .I thought it was some sort of bad luck thing that had struck Byron somehow. He seemed to have a cloud hanging over him sometimes...

3. The one character I couldn't connect well with was Daya.
    I think that was because she came late in the story and we only got into her POV a few times. That didn't mean I didn't like her. I was really on board with the Daul ship and cheered for them.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member

I adored Byron and looked forward to his chapters and his and Penny's baseball analogies. But Saul...was just so Saul. I adored him and cheered when he and Daya finally hooked up. But then Bianca and Lysander - and her denial of her pregnancy. And spending time in the bathroom. Oops - I just realized all of my comments - and I didn't pick any one character but mostly couples - all relate to one thing. :# I'm a 🐸🐸🐸🐸....

I tried to figure out what it might be for the longest and when the parents showed up in the Winnebago, I laughed until I cried. I actually thought the curse was if they procreated or married, wasn't sure which, they would become human and die

Darius and Isla confused me... more so Darius... now I get him. I knew they must be important, but didn't understand them as Penny's benefactors.
  • MorningstarMorningstar Posts: 318 Member
    Channel your inner Byron, and share with us all a Raccoon gif or picture/meme, and a bad Vampire joke/pun.
    pic_013_11_02_2017-7.jpg
    Why don’t vampires like mosquitoes?
    They hate the competition!
    Tough call between Byron and Bianca! I was a fan of Byron as soon as we saw his comedy practice audience; took me longer to come around to Bianca but I was completely in love with the alabaster dove by the end of Fangs for the Memories.
    I was SO surprised by this reveal. My guess was that someone in the Blackwell line had made a deal with the Grim Reaper, so if they fell in love or were pregnant a sacrifice of some kind (e.g. their immortality) would be owed him.
    At one point or another I could connect with all of them, but I think I found Lysander or Darius the most fleeting connections with.
    I loved Lysander and Bianca as a couple, but I found Lysander's reasoning behind liking Bianca rather mysterious. Kinda gave me Stockholm Syndrome / Belle and the Beast vibes :joy: He just sort of, came around? I was very eager for them to get together, though, so it didn't bother me that much :joy:
    He hadn't really won me over as more than a fantasy-fulfillment-for-Bianca character until we got to see more of his interactions with Penny as her older brother. (I'm an older sibling, so I could relate on some things.)
    On a related note, I didn't really get why Penny was so attracted to Byron. I absolutely adore him, but he didn't seem like her type. Of course, they balance each other out rather perfectly, so I love them as a couple. But I did worry through the entirety of From Fangs to Fae Dreams that she was not very happy since he's forever a child :joy:

As for Darius, as some of the others have said I wasn't sure why he was so much more different in human vs fae world than Isla. I liked Isla more even in her 'cold' moments than Darius. For me, he kinda served as Isla's soul more than a character in his own right for a lot of the story. I didn't really come around to him until he started to appear in From Fangs to Fae Dreams.
    From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
    Rebuilding Appaloosa Plains
    Prologue & Chapters 1-18 out now!
    Origin ID: Mourning-Stars | Simming since 2000
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    f9e24bcef6e66415c2d3cfa5d1c2c6b4.gif
    What do you get if you cross a vampire with a snowman?
    Frostbite.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
    @Karilan Ha, Bianca and Lysander always would've had their thing going on, but
    I wasn't sure if Graham would swipe her from him or not though. That would've been a disaster of epic proportions! Bianca needed Lysander in her life.

@AudreyFld ROFL! I have to remind myself that Saul wasn't a PoV character, because he was such a big presence. But I thought he didn't need one since what you saw was what you got, and we got to see him from so many PoVs.

Glad you enjoyed the Curse reveal though. ;)

@pammiechick Ahhh, the perils of late PoVs, I don't blame you. Gen 1 was really an experiment with the whole multiple PoV thing--I'm not sure when I decided I'd keep adding more and more. I don't think I'd intended to ever give Daya one, actually, or even Isla and Darius. I do remember some people getting impatient when I started introducing Isla and Darius and that whole arc, wanting to go back to Byron and Bianca, so in gen 2 onward I tried to balance things more evenly from the start. And by then, people were clamoring for certain PoVs. (Like Sly's!)

@Morningstar OMG, that raccoon's expression.

It's funny, re: the curse, I'd initially considered something along those lines,
    where love and/or babies wouldn't end well for the Blackwells, and someone would have to dieeee.

LOL, Beauty and the Beast-style Stockholm Syndrome...I can see it. And poor Penny is
    forever a mom.
    I'm an older sibling too. ;)

@LegacySims2017 LOL!
    uduVcAP.png
  • WagonFruitWagonFruit Posts: 2,489 Member
    HAI IT'S ME OK HERE WE GO:

It's hard to answer this one without my opinion being coloured by future gens, but I really feel the over-all Graham love; it took me a while to warm up to him in gen one, but once you peel back some layers, there's a complicated, rather tragic figure waiting for you to explore his particular combination of steel and soft mushy gooeyness.

Definitely not what it was revealed to be! I had thought it was all in Bianca's mind.

I'm going to say no; there were characters that took me longer to connect with, but by the end of the gen I felt like I could relate to all of them in some way!

QUESTION!
    Do you regret any of the plot or character decisions from gen one?
    FzWOQ8X.jpg
    Okay, folks! I've done some more thinking and have a few more questions:

For the Readers:

1. The cast of Fangs suddenly appears in front of you. You have only three tickets to a concert, show, or VIP party, so can only take two members with you. Who do you take? Why?

2. LadyLobster's censorship system. What did you think of it when you first saw it pop up at the start of a chapter?

3. Would you be a butler for the Blackwell's, knowing that you'll also have to provide sustenance for them if required... Or other services? :smirk:

4. What about being one of Graham's... *ahem* actors? Could be fun, right? ;)

For LadyLobster:

1. Same as number one for the readers. Which two members of the Fangs cast would you take with you? Why?

2. How did your censorship system come to be? Do you have a scale written down as to what is a 1 and what is a 5? Or is it all just randomly decided upon after seeing the end result of the writing/screenshotting?

3. If you had a chance to go back and redo Fangs, is there anything that you would change? A certain plot point, or maybe include a bit of cc that wasn't released until after Fangs was finished?

4. Same as 3 and 4 for the readers... Butler? Actor? :smirk::smirk::smirk:
    dustshaela.jpg
  • WagonFruitWagonFruit Posts: 2,489 Member
    WHOA, YOU THINK YOU DONE THE BOSS FIGHT BUT NOPE IT WAS THE MINI BOSS!

1. The cast of Fangs suddenly appears in front of you. You have only three tickets to a concert, show, or VIP party, so can only take two members with you. Who do you take? Why?
    Oh man, I'd take Graham and Darius to the M'era Luna Festival; I feel like they'd both be good sports about getting dressed up, also Graham would probably want us to look The Best, so he'd pay for some wicked clothes and accessories and who knows what would happen when the party started? >:)

2. LadyLobster's censorship system. What did you think of it when you first saw it pop up at the start of a chapter?
    I was like "oh good! Maybe we'll get to see more naughty stuff!"

3. Would you be a butler for the Blackwell's, knowing that you'll also have to provide sustenance for them if required... Or other services? :smirk:
    NOPE. Maybe if I wanted to do naughty things for either of them? But I don't like bleeding, generally speaking.

4. What about being one of Graham's... *ahem* actors? Could be fun, right? ;)
    THIS HOWEVER IS A HARD YES (kekekeke).
    FzWOQ8X.jpg