Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can sims 2 discs run on this laptop?

BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
I have passed on my sims 2 discs to my sister but we're unsure if they will run on her laptop.

Its a dell latitude E5400 core 2 duo.
It is windows 7,
4gb
Graphic card Intel core i5 and 2.4Ghz
It has 1tb of storage.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Bessieboo wrote: »
    I have passed on my sims 2 discs to my sister but we're unsure if they will run on her laptop.

It is windows 7,
    4gb
    It has 1tb of storage.

Intel core i5 sounds like the processor, which isn't the graphics card. Processor speed is the minimum required.

The RAM and hard drive exceed the requirements.

It's going to depend on what the graphics card is on whether I would recommend playing it on it or not. If it uses the Intel® GMA 4500MHD which is what places are saying is the Dell Latitude E5400's graphics card, while it may run the game, I would not recommend playing on it. It's an integrated graphics card and those are not meant for gaming. They don't have the cooling necessary for gaming and with laptops already having cooling issues due to their size, the lack of proper cooling is only compounded.
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »

It is windows 7,
    4gb
    It has 1tb of storage.

Intel core i5 sounds like the processor, which isn't the graphics card. Processor speed is the minimum required.

The RAM and hard drive exceed the requirements.

It's going to depend on what the graphics card is on whether I would recommend playing it on it or not. If it uses the Intel® GMA 4500MHD which is what places are saying is the Dell Latitude E5400's graphics card, while it may run the game, I would not recommend playing on it. It's an integrated graphics card and those are not meant for gaming. They don't have the cooling necessary for gaming and with laptops already having cooling issues due to their size, the lack of proper cooling is only compounded.

Thank you for the advice. :)
    My sister has just informed me its actually a dell latitude e5410 with graphics 4600MHD.
    My sister has just informed me its actually a dell latitude e5410 with graphics 4600MHD.

It has integrated graphics.

Per Dell's site there are some versions with processor that have different GHz (some above and one below the minimum required) and it says it only supports up to 750 GB hard drive so can you confirm the exact specs on this computer. The initial specs given include a HD size the system does not support.
    This is the information from my sisters laptops dxdiag. It has no paperwork with it as it was bought second hand.

System
    Operating system; Windows 7 professional 64 bit (6.1 build 7601)
    System Model; Latitude E5410
    BIOS; Default system BIOS
    Processor: Intel (R) core (TM) i5 CPu M 450 @ 2.4 GHz (4CPu) =2-4GHz
    Memory; 4096 RAM
    DirectX version= Direct 11

Device
    Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (core i5)
    Dac type: Internal
    Memory: 1696 MB
    Current display mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (40Hz)
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Thanks for your help. :)

This is the information from my sisters laptops dxdiag. It has no paperwork with it as it was bought second hand.

System
    Memory; 4096 RAM

Device
    Intel(R) HD Graphics

What size hard drive does it have? There were a few options for the standard. The easiest way for your friend to find that information is to go to Start --> Computer. In the Hard Disk Drive it will say what the size of Drive C is. Mine says 185 GB free of 232 GB. What does your friend's say? And I only need the second number (in my example, the 232 GB).

The processor does meet the minimum requirements.

System
    Memory; 4096 RAM

Device
    Intel(R) HD Graphics

What size hard drive does it have? There were a few options for the standard. The easiest way for your friend to find that information is to go to Start --> Computer. In the Hard Disk Drive it will say what the size of Drive C is. Mine says 185 GB free of 232 GB. What does your friend's say? And I only need the second number (in my example, the 232 GB).

The second number says 931 GB.

System
    Memory; 4096 RAM

Device
    Intel(R) HD Graphics

Alright.

So everything but the graphics card is fine for the game. With the processor being at the minimum that may affect how fast things load. And it's just the fact that integrated graphics cards aren't designed for gaming, they may be able to run the game.

So it's up to your friend on whether or not she wants to risk it. Especially since it's a second hand computer.

But of Sims 2, Sims 3, and Sims 4, I would say that Sims 2 will be the one I would risk if she doesn't want to wait until she's got a better computer to run the Sims.

I would also advise if she does decide to play it to invest in a cooling pad for the game and to stop playing for at least a few hours if she feels the computer is getting hot.

System
    Memory; 4096 RAM

Device
    Intel(R) HD Graphics

Alright.

So everything but the graphics card is fine for the game. With the processor being at the minimum that may affect how fast things load. And it's just the fact that integrated graphics cards aren't designed for gaming, they may be able to run the game.

So it's up to your friend on whether or not she wants to risk it. Especially since it's a second hand computer.

But of Sims 2, Sims 3, and Sims 4, I would say that Sims 2 will be the one I would risk if she doesn't want to wait until she's got a better computer to run the Sims.

I would also advise if she does decide to play it to invest in a cooling pad for the game and to stop playing for at least a few hours if she feels the computer is getting hot.

Thank you again for the advice, will pass on the information.