Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maxis has the “Lazy” trait when it comes to... Traits...

Seriously, I mean look at the Hobby section. There is only 6!!! And “perfectionist” isn’t even a hobby!

Yet we have SO MANY MORE hobbies in the game!

Working out, Swimming, Programming (geek only covers video games and sci-fi books), Yoga, Science stuff (telescope, microscope, chemistry table, etc...), meditating, cooking (foodie covers EATING not cooking, I have friends who cook as an artistic outlet), Singing (not covered by “music lover), trying on clothes, bowling, basketball, Shopping, watching movies, etc...

Sure, you can say “active” covers working out and swimming, but what if you want a specific sim you can often find swimming?

When I was a teen (irl) I played basketball every moment of my free time. Like 80 hours a week. Why can’t I make a sim to represent my teen self? Always shooting hoops?

Little things like this would add SO MUCH to the game!!!

I have relatives who love video editing or building car models. How cool would it be to see the sims I make doing those things when I visit them?

Now we have roller skating and ice skating, but no traits to make a sim who loves those things! I have a friend who wanted to be an Olympic speed skater. How cool would it be to see him ice skating every time I went over???

C’mon Maxis!!!!

How do you make packs like Bowling Night, Movie Hangout, spa day, etc and not make traits related to those things???

DO IT! DO IT NOW!

Comments

• Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    This!

The sims 3 traits are actually the only thing I miss about sims 3. There were a lot of both small, sillier traits and bigger ones, plus we had five slots, which was enough room to have both bogger traits that covered the main parts of the personality and a one or two smaller, like loves heat, light sleeper and such. 3 are barely enough to cover a whole personality, not to mention that all of them are much broader. I miss the variation.
  • Options
    KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    #c’monmaxis!
  • Options
    IrishSimmer21IrishSimmer21 Posts: 464 Member
    I love this post. I completely agree.
  • Options
    hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    Just the title alone has me dying of laughter lol
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I totally agree with you!

I really miss the 'interests' traits sims had in the Sims 2. You know, common interests they can talk about? It would add so much depth to their personalities.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    All of my Sims are the same for this reason.
    2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    We NEED more trait slots and traits. And for current traits to be seriously overhauled. My Sims are so...boring. There's barely any noticeable differences between them. Traits from TS3 I'd like to see return:

Shy
    Proper
    Brooding
    Virtuoso
    Natural-Born Cook
    Computer Whiz

Just my two cents
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    There isn’t a lot I dislike about this game but the traits are lacking. We barely have gotten any new ones since the release. Also I wish they had more of an actual impact like in sims 3. My biggest wish is updated traits and more traits.
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    NyteRose wrote: »
    We NEED more trait slots and traits. And for current traits to be seriously overhauled. My Sims are so...boring. There's barely any noticeable differences between them. Traits from TS3 I'd like to see return:

Shy
    Proper
    Brooding
    Virtuoso
    Natural-Born Cook
    Computer Whiz

Just my two cents

I'd say music lover covers virtuoso pretty well, if they would update to add the singing, but other than that, I fully agree

• Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    The Genius trait needs to be fixed. It has little to no effect on anything.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    jennihopejennihope Posts: 321 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »
    There isn’t a lot I dislike about this game but the traits are lacking. We barely have gotten any new ones since the release. Also I wish they had more of an actual impact like in sims 3. My biggest wish is updated traits and more traits.

yes more traits that are actually are evident in the sims rather than having to imagine your sims with a personality.
    follow my simblr: https://beautesims.tumblr.com/ <-- still under construction
    origin id: jennihope
  • Options
    Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
    I wish I could add more conversation to this thread, other than stating the obvious, but I cant think of anything to personally add. Just that YES! Please Maxis/EA, we need both more traits to chose from and more trait slots for Sims to begin with!
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited September 2018
    This is the reason why all my sims behave the same. I'm not sure why the developers went from 5 in TS3 to 3 in TS4. In real life someone may have around 20. Now 20 would be a bit much for this game, but I think we could use 5-10, depending on the function of the trait. I believe traits are too focused on triggering emotions. It could use more unlocked interactions and autonomous behaviors.

A hobby trait can pretty much be unlimited when it comes to how many you select, as it makes a sim better or more inclined to participate in an activity.

An emotional trait is also pretty much unlimited. When a situation occurs, it triggers an emotion on a sim. There may be a few conflicts here and there such as 'cheerful' and 'gloomy'.

Lifestyle and social traits would be a bit more limited in the number you select. If you pick a lifestyle or social trait, it is more likely there will be others that will conflict. That is ok, as this is what makes each sim unique. You would not have someone evil and good at the same time.

I think sims 3 had a pretty good system. My suggestion would be to introduce new traits and increase the number of trait slots per sim to a minimum of 5. I discussed this whole thing Here
  • Options
    MaiaPlaysSimsMaiaPlaysSims Posts: 218 Member
    Wow. I didn't know that I needed this until right now.
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    The thing that bugs me is that they seem to think of reward traits as a replacement for or better option than regular traits. Maybe it's just me, because I tend to ignore whims, but I earn satisfaction points so slowly that I don't even pay attention to them. I rarely ever use reward traits. And if I do, it's often just one.
  • Options
    KatieGKatieG Posts: 54 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »

This!! And more trait slots!
    It's truly my only qualm with the game anymore.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    An update would be welcome I didn't even think about the music lover trait not covering singing actually. I'm not sure I want very narrow traits like something limited to skater... but something more open might be great like something that could cover multiple physical or theme related activities maybe. I don't know. I really hadn't thought of this.
    I love the lot traits more would be great to have also.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    hyrulerose wrote: »
    The thing that bugs me is that they seem to think of reward traits as a replacement for or better option than regular traits. Maybe it's just me, because I tend to ignore whims, but I earn satisfaction points so slowly that I don't even pay attention to them. I rarely ever use reward traits. And if I do, it's often just one.

Totally agree with this. Besides, a lot of the reward traits don't add personality really. Things like not needing to pee as much are hardly something to be considered a part of someone's personality.
  • Options
    tsuntsuntsuntsun Posts: 26 Member
    i used to spend a lot of time on sims 3 deciding which trait i should put on a sim because they were actually good and i couldn’t just pick one or the other... and now i spend a lot of time on choosing a trait bc there’s like only one that i like and the rest is just... uh which one isn’t as useless as the other..

really hoping we’d get more traits with an update... it’s not too late..
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    . I believe traits are too focused on triggering emotions.

This is the problem with many of TS4's traits in a nutshell, and it's why the Genius trait is so underwhelming. I want to see traits that boost gains in certain skills, change the way sims respond to events (for example, a hot headed sim could get angry at a time when other sims would usually get sad), change the rate of relationship increase/decrease, etc.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Yes I agree more traits would be great, as the ones they have are way too broad. Also all my sims act the same when something happens so I cant get the versatility I would like even when I randomize. Each sim was advertised as unique, with not having the smaller nuisances they seem to be all the same.
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I would completely agree with this. In The Sims 3 I really felt like every Sim I created was unique and had their own distinctive personality. In The Sims 4, all my Sims feel like the same exact person.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    More trait option are definitely needed and wanted.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    SimPaperrhSimPaperrh Posts: 19 New Member
    They have cc/mods that add more traits to the game :smile:
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2018
    citysimmer wrote: »
    . I believe traits are too focused on triggering emotions.

This is the problem with many of TS4's traits in a nutshell, and it's why the Genius trait is so underwhelming. I want to see traits that boost gains in certain skills, change the way sims respond to events (for example, a hot headed sim could get angry at a time when other sims would usually get sad), change the rate of relationship increase/decrease, etc.

The thing about skill boosts is that emotional traits rely on said emotion for that boost. The genius trait relies on the focused moodlet/emotion to give such boost, but because it can easily be overwhelmed it looses it's impact and effect.

Hot headed sims will rage when a sim is cheated on instead of crying. I wish they'd get angry though, when other sims perform every mischievous interaction on them, giving negative social points. I think some interactions do, but not all. Sadly though, I don't think mischievous interactions are set to autonomous. I have never seen other sims fart on mine (obnoxious cloud interaction) or zap them with the hand shake.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1