Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Apartment Keys

I don't generally lock my doors. I rarely have random intruders. One thing I was wondering, though, is if the doors are locked in an apartment, can a Sim who's been given an apartment key still get in? I checked the door and there's no option to exclude keyholders from the lock.
9ndehwc.png

Comments

• Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    Nope, they can't. If you lock out the neighbors who barge in uninvited, you're also locking out anybody who your sim has actually given a key.
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    This is very high on the top of the list of things that don't make sense in the Sims 4
  • Options
    iamsweetmysteryiamsweetmystery Posts: 250 Member
    Agreed. Keys not working on a locked door...? Utter nonsense. It's kinda what their whole exact purpose is. A keyholder exclusion should have been in the menu at least.
    9ndehwc.png
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Agreed. Keys not working on a locked door...? Utter nonsense. It's kinda what their whole exact purpose is. A keyholder exclusion should have been in the menu at least.

Ikr? It's why I usually can't bother locking front doors at all bc there isn't as many varied ways to lock/unlock it for specifics as I thought.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I really wish the apartment key thing wasn't just restricted to San Myshuno.

I always liked it when my sims best friends would randomly just come on in, and help themselves to something from the fridge and just hang out for a while.
  • Options
    Yeah. It's not like Sims couldn't give house keys to friends and family. It occurred to me that doors set as the front door should follow different rules than other doors. The locks should work differently, allowing unrestricted access to residents and keyholders. If inside areas are locked off (for instance a secret lab or a private bedroom, etc.) the locks should work as they do now, but not front doors. Sims who live there shouldn't be able to be locked out.
    9ndehwc.png
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    Can you lock the doors for specific Sim you Sim knows? I know you can do so with household members but what about neighbours? I never lock my doors and yes the intruders can be annoying. Although in one highrise I have fixed it. Almost. Raj has neighbours from 2 apartments (Johnny Zest in one apartment and Zoe and her boyfriend and toddler in the other) and I had Raj give ALL of them keys (except the toddler of course). That way, their intrusions can be looked upon as an oportunity to socialize. Or just to ignore. Also, the intruders are very thoughtful and actually take out the trash. I also find that with high friendship, the noisethings from them aren't as prevalent as if they were strangers. That could be a coincidence though.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I actually never need to take out the trash. I use the NanoCan Touchless Trash Can in every house. It disintegrates rubbish, and so never needs emptying. On top of that, it pays you for using it. If a Sim puts rubbish into it, the household gets 10 Simoleons. If you drag and drop rubbish or dishes into it yourself, they get 10 per member of the household. So, with a household of 8 Sims, every time you bin something you get paid 80 Simoleons and the bin never fills up or breaks. I'm surprised everyone doesn't use it. Then again, some may not know what it actually does. As far as the noise issues, it's not coincidence. The more they like you, the more tolerant and considerate they are toward you, sometimes even asking to participate in your noisemaking.
    9ndehwc.png
  • Options
    As for locking doors for specific Sims... yes and no. You can only specify them when they're present in the neighbourhood if I recall correctly. The most efficient way I'm aware of is to lock the door for everyone but household, then when others come to visit, use "Unlock Door for..." to give them access.
    9ndehwc.png