Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Update: Thank You Sims Team!] Making Sims 4 Accessible to the Visually Impaired Simmer

ModseyModsey Posts: 1,468 Member
edited November 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Hey everyone, I don't normally make discussions these days, but here's something I'm really passionate about.

I'm a visually impaired Simmer, and over the last year I've slowly been losing my vision. That's not something that scares me, or greatly bothers me, so please don't feel sorry for me. I'm very happy with my life. But I'm realizing it's harder to play Sims 4 because the text is so small and impossible for me to read, so lately I've just been guessing what I'm reading in option menus, object catalogs, and cheat text windows based off memory and pattern. I'd like to find a way to make Sims 4 more accessible to the blind and visually impaired like me.

My ideas:
1. Font changes for option windows

-Increasing font size, making the words bolder or using all-caps (all-caps is easier to read than lower case letters)

2. Small Magnifier

-Windows has a magnifier installed, but the levels you can zoom in are very limited and the sensitivity is too shaky and unpredictable to easily build anything or pick an option from the menu wheel.

-If Sims could create an in-game magnifier with adjustable zoom in size, smooth sensitivity, that would be incredible

3. Voice Over

-I'm sure there are other simmers out there who loved playing the game and had to give it up because they could no longer read or see the
screen clearly enough to play. If there was a voice over to read menu options in live mode, or button options in build/buy mode, or read catalog
items, it would be a game changer, especially if you could choose how much of this voice over there was (I would mostly need live mode option
voice over, but maybe somebody needs and wants the option for the build/buy mode)

-Using a voice actor would be ideal, because it's easier to understand this way, but electronic voices you see in modern voice overs will work just as well

I feel like this is asking a lot, but one of the few things I'm afraid of if I continue to lose vision is that I won't be able to play my favorite game any more. I've been playing Sims since I was 10 and Sims 4 is my favorite of the Sims generation games so far. An accessible version of this would change a lot for me and other visually impaired/blind players as well. Not many video games are accessible for the blind, and making changes towards that would change the world of video games. Even if I had to wait another year or two, or even for Sims 5 to get these accessibility settings, it would be worth it, because I can't imagine a part of my life where I don't spend my day off sitting in front of a computer playing Sims.

If the sims team could start working for a more accessible Sims game, that would change a lot for me

Thank you to all who read, here's hoping someone really hears this

*UPDATE 11/12/2019* I want to thank the Sims 4 team for this update to the UI. Being able to resize the UI has already made a big difference to my game, and I genuinely want to thank you. Playing Sims 4 will be much easier for me now and involve a lot less eye strain and allow me to play longer and with easier/more enjoyable sessions. I cannot thank you enough :smiley:
Post edited by Modsey on

Comments

• DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    Try reducing the resolution of your game, that should increase the size of the UI. It's not a solution, of course, but it should help :)
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

I think this is something EA should do. just add this in options in the game, People of all ages have vision problems. I think EA should care, <3 just like they cared about the dogs and helped.

It should have already been implemented. The Gurus seem to have a lot of play time on their hands nowadays, maybe they will see this and take out the time to fix this and help Simmers with sight problems. I am sure it was an oversight.

we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    @Modsey, insightful suggestion. No pun intended. I'll pose the question to one of the gurus on Twitter. @Stormsview I believe this would be a task for the UI designers, not the gurus. And I don't think 4 hrs a month on livestreams equates a lot of extra time on their hands.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I have trouble seeing the green completion circle when doing a task (like authenticating artifacts or writing a book) -- making that a bit darker and larger would help. And darker green for the Parenthood traits in Simology for children/teens. And a slightly heavier font for the in-game clock; I miss where the wall clocks would show the actual in-game time in Sims 3 because that was a great backup for checking the time to make sure my Sims head to work/school on time.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    @Modsey, insightful suggestion. No pun intended. I'll pose the question to one of the gurus on Twitter. @Stormsview I believe this would be a task for the UI designers, not the gurus. And I don't think 4 hrs a month on livestreams equates a lot of extra time on their hands.

Us Simmers contact the Gurus, the Gurus, then send the problem to UI designers, or whomever.
    Thanks for bringing it to their attention.

@simgirl1010
    No pun intended
    ;) None taken. <3
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    @SimGuruGrant maybe you guys can do something to help I hope so
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    As I get a little older I have noticed changes in vision. Especially related to eye strain. I'm glad they have changed the glaring white loading screen (although I wish there were other options). Not having trouble reading the text (yet) but I definitely get it. These are good ideas, hopefully for this iteration.. but if not for the next. I know that's no consolation but posts like this might make things better in the future.

egTcBMc.png
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited September 2018
    This does sound like a reasonable suggestion. Lots of people have vision problems and there are a lot of things that could be done. Being able to resize text - especially item text when you select an item - is probably the easiest.

Voice-over is something that would take some time - you have to acknowledge it would need to be added to EVERYTHING - but it sounds the most useful.

I'm very short-sighted and find life easier to wear strong glasses all the time so it actually doesn't affect me, but people who need reading glasses, or are mildly short-sighted but don't want to wear glasses all the time, but find themselves squinting at Sims 4, would find it extremely useful.

The part it would be most useful on, I think, is bringing up item descriptions when building.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    Hi

there's a forum at AHQ which addresses exactly those issue: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Accessibility/ct-p/accessibility-en

Think it would be great if you also posted there.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• ModseyModsey Posts: 1,468 Member
    Thank you to everyone who's responded. (Also, I liked the pun, unintentional or otherwise) Hopefully some tweets to some sims gurus and this post might get this message some visibility (pun entirely intended) and maybe things can change for the better. Even if I waited a year from now (and in a year my vision might be very different) it would still be worth it

I think I like this one best if you have an account on twitter please help get this problem attention by writing to this link, thanks, If you run into issues using the accessibility forums, contact @ea_accessible on twitter.
    I did post our problem (https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Text-size-too-small-can-t-customize-it/m-p/6868130/highlight/false#M47)

there was play station simmer's with the similar problem.
    Thanks, @Crinrict <3

The problem is getting attention, please post, this is just a process to get it done.

People love to play the Sims 4, If they need a little visual help with some visual aids, posting let them know Help is needed, so all can enjoy playing.
    Just remember you are not alone, lots have this problem and keep silent. But we rather they keep playing. :)
    EA helped the Dogs , they will help with this as well.
    Stormsview wrote: »
    EA helped the Dogs , they will help with this as well.

I'm not sure what everyone's saying when they say EA helped the dogs? Literal dogs or Sims Pets?

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/you-create-we-donate

With the release of The Sims™ 4 Cats & Dogs Expansion Pack* EA helped real Pets in need all over the world.
    These donations will go towards the Shelter Support Fund grants, which provides assistance to shelters throughout the United States and all over the world, and the Disaster Relief Fund program, which provides animal shelters with financial assistance when they need it most.

Anyone that would help dogs will also help people in need. :)<3
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2018
    Would setting your resolution to default 1024x768 help? Sims and (even words) would be much larger.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • TBrandesTBrandes Posts: 45 Member
    For me the resolution is no problem. The thing that drives me mad are some combination of colors. My visual spectrum is shifted and i see red and green a bit different (sorry, don't know the english term for that).

For example the advancing green ring while doing stuff is extremely hard to see. I have to get very close to my screen to see where it is.
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    I have a pair of 3x magnifier glasses that help a bit, but even they're not perfect. I have to pause the game while I'm trying to lean in and read the clock. Typing in names and hashtags in CAS is often more a matter of me paying attention to what I type rather than trying to read the results. The search box in build/buy is similarly hard to read. Has whoever created that never heard of contrast?
    image.png
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Would setting your resolution to default 1024x768 help? Sims and (even words) would be much larger.

I tried it, and I'm not sure if I'm somehow doing this wrong, but it doesn't look like it will help me. Originally I was playing with it in fullscreen window mode and I switched the resolution, but it just went to a smaller window with font being the same, and going back to fullscreen would bring it back to the previous resolution. I tried setting my game in full screen mode and then switched the resolution but that created a glitch where Sims wouldn't work at all and started to crash, so I won't be trying that again. Maybe I did it wrong, but that can't have been fun for my laptop. I need to go reboot my computer after that, because the game still won't properly stop running. Back to the drawing board, but thank you to everyone who's trying to help me find a solution
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    Just read your comments on this thread, and came over here to support your suggestions for improving the accessibility of TS4.

P.S Adorable cat!
  • ShaeShae Posts: 303 Member
    Hi Modsey!

It's good to see other visually impaired simmers here. I'm not sure if many of us frequent this forum, but hopefully we can get a few changes made to the game that will be beneficial to ourselves and others. I'm not sure if you have a problem with this also, but I made a suggestion during one of the live Twitch feeds, that we should be able to enlarge the gallery pictures when clicked to see better detail.

As they are now, the pictures are rather small and hard (for me) to see with any clarity, and Sim GuruGrant liked that suggestion. So maybe in the near future, that option will be added.

Just a visually impaired gamer who enjoys taking ordinary Sims and making them extraordinary.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WbRQP-PXDpA
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Modsey wrote: »

I tried it, and I'm not sure if I'm somehow doing this wrong, but it doesn't look like it will help me. Originally I was playing with it in fullscreen window mode and I switched the resolution, but it just went to a smaller window with font being the same, and going back to fullscreen would bring it back to the previous resolution. I tried setting my game in full screen mode and then switched the resolution but that created a glitch where Sims wouldn't work at all and started to crash, so I won't be trying that again. Maybe I did it wrong, but that can't have been fun for my laptop. I need to go reboot my computer after that, because the game still won't properly stop running. Back to the drawing board, but thank you to everyone who's trying to help me find a solution

I had a similar experience - I changed the resolution because I was advised that it's the ideal resolution for the game. All I got was a tiny window in which everything was even smaller, and when I resized the window to fit my screen, the resolution changed back.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2018
    Modsey wrote: »

I had a similar experience - I changed the resolution because I was advised that it's the ideal resolution for the game. All I got was a tiny window in which everything was even smaller, and when I resized the window to fit my screen, the resolution changed back.

If not using a laptop because I wouldn't know how to set a game on a laptop with a screen size that will over ride your settings, change the resolution on a pc before you start a game, then play in full screen, not window/ full screen. But make sure the resolution in game is set to that of the changed screen. Always change the pc screen resolution first. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    TBrandes wrote: »
    For me the resolution is no problem. The thing that drives me mad are some combination of colors. My visual spectrum is shifted and i see red and green a bit different (sorry, don't know the english term for that).

For example the advancing green ring while doing stuff is extremely hard to see. I have to get very close to my screen to see where it is.

That's my very issue. There was a mod ages ago that darkened the green making it easy to see but I don't remember where it was much less if it's ever been updated.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    I'm commenting on this to bump it to the front because of the update to my original comment, I really do want to thank the Sims 4 team for being amazing
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    Your update made me smile :blush: Happy simming!
    Star Wind Flower Sun