Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Exporting to TS3 for testing

I have reached the stage where I want to test my road map. Reading up on exporting I have discovered I need a thumbnail. No problem getting the screenshot but the rescale is another matter. Does anyone else use GIMP? Or is there an easier way with a Win10 laptop to rescale a PNG image file ?

Help would be greatly appreciated for this IT numpty.
I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita

Comments

• 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I haven't done that yet because when I tried I failed everytime. What I do since it is just for testing is use an imagine from the world creator files.
  • MACRONAUTMACRONAUT Posts: 200 Member
    edited September 2018
    I use Paint.net for this since the image needs to be 24 bit png. I found this tutorial for doing it in paintnet, should at least give you an idea of whats involved. http://ts3cc.canadian-forum.com/t297-tutorial-thumbnail-24-bit-png-image-creation-with-paint-net
    Or you can find the default icon in Program Files(x86)/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 Create a World Tool/defaultWorldThumb
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    @06Bon06 , @MACRONAUT thank you both for your suggestions :) I went with the world default thumbnail and was able to successfully export my world. I will definitely keep paintnet in mind for when I do the real exporting. In the meantime I have found most of the roads are ok but watching my tester sim walk off a cliff was a bit of a shock !
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    The way to use Gimp and WinPaint for a cover is to copy and paste your cover picture into an New picture. Don't use the same picture- a .jpg - and try to turn it into a .png. It won't do it right. So, start with a new picture and save it as a .png right away. :)

Copy- paste to new- save .png to make a cover picture. :)

*I always make the cover 512x512 and edit it for what I want (names), save and then shrink it to the 256x256 for the cover (saved under a new name). :)
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Thank you @Rflong7 :) I have used the default for now but this will come in handy once I am ready to export for real.

Sim enim est vita