Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Family Tree: How do you show all children on your family tree?

I've been trying to find a way to expand my family tree in-game (so that I can take a screencap of the family tree) so that I can show the entire family. I need to be able to make all the grandkids show up on my family tree without having to click on each child to show their children.

@Mikezumi? How do you show the entire family on the tree?
GYZ6Ak9.png
Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer I don't know how to show the whole family tree. When I show mine it doesn't include the spouses but it does have the descendants of the first sim on the tree that I select. Here's an example of what I see. As for showing more levels, I can't remember how to do that. I do so many things automatically and only my fingers can tell what I am doing but one of the Nraas mods (perhaps SP) has an option to increase the levels shown.
    42901111102_1baf107966_o.png
    42048630385_b3fd5fbcf0_o.png
    42231712684_a9f282ccf5_o.png
    42048629885_3786287f26_o.png
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @Mikezumi I always envy your family trees. I’ve never made it past generation 3.
  • lowpolygallowpolygal Posts: 422 Member
    There's an option in the settings of Master Controller to show more than 4 levels in the family tree, it would be something like click on the City Hall or Computer > Nraas > Master Controller > Settings and it should be somewhere there if my memory serves me right... :flushed:
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    If you aren't seeing all of the levels you are expecting to see by viewing the family tree from the sims' info tabs, try NRaas > MC > (Sim) > Basic > Family Tree.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    Thank you to everyone. And @igazor, evidently NRAAS>MC>Sim>Basic>Family Tree showed every grandchild from everyone of Haruo's children.

I was originally trying to see all the grandchildren from the family tree from the sim's family tree info tab in game and it was making me click every child to show their offspring. Thanks...now when I need to show the family tree, I'll utilize the above NRAAS function to show every kid. I also expanded my Family Tree Levels to 10 for use when I get that far. Which I don't know...will happen with my game being on epic lifespan and played at Relativity speed 8.

Chikamori_Family_Tree.jpg
    Thank you, @igazor... This was what I wanted to show.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    @Nikkei_Simmer - Nice family. But I wouldn't count on being able to display 10 generations all at once in the future. It hasn't happened to me yet, but family trees in general are delicate and at that many levels are more prone to breakage to the point where nothing will display at all. Some players have taken the drastic (?) step of using external web-based family tree apps to track their long-running games instead.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I've actually had to turn around and re-start the game in a new world by exporting the ENTIRE family and repair the family tree in order to keep the legacy going. ~sigh~ So hopefully the "cleansing" of the extraneous data...from all the travels and stuff will keep the legacy from going hairy.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Oh wait, I didn't mean that kind of breakage. When family trees break down, sims still know whom they are related to and how. It's just that the tree displays stop working. Could be related, but I always saw tree display breakage as independent of everything else.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    When I used to play multi-generational saves (in excess of 20 gens) I used to use Family Echo for keeping track of my family trees.
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    @igazor @Nikkei_Simmer I can confirm that displaying 10 generations is possible. I haven't had any breakage yet but who knows what happens when more levels are added *knocks on wood*

Depending on where you are in the tree it might look clean like this.
    TS3_W_2018-05-18_18-15-09-24.png

Or like this... the blank thumbnails just need time to load.
    TS3_W_2018-05-18_19-16-36-15.png
    TS3_W_2018-02-18_13-56-24-89.png

I also keep a text based version of my family tree with Microsoft OneNote.
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ank5HJlkaN6Nk2BgHASixBHygeJN
    @coco - That is totally awesome. But I'm not seeing where anyone in Generation 2 had 35 illegitimate children with 28 different partners.

Wait, why is everyone staring at me all of a sudden? This didn't happen in everyone else's games? :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    @igazor Yep I unfortunately know what you mean. I raised sims who I once thought were totally innocent and sweet, but once I moved them out they ran amok and had like 10 babies with all different partners. What are they teaching those sims at school these days :lol:
    Since I've got all non-active family members in town to only have two children per family...and well, Bri was not in any rush to have another. I moved her, Tatsuyoshi and Katrina back in for a short period...and made sure that she and Tats had another one. :p
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    coco wrote: »
    @igazor Yep I unfortunately know what you mean. I raised sims who I once thought were totally innocent and sweet, but once I moved them out they ran amok and had like 10 babies with all different partners. What are they teaching those sims at school these days :lol:
    Oh, in this case the amok thing was entirely user-directed so I guess the one with possibly questionable schooling would be me. That generation has one good sibling, 100% faithful to their partner ever since they day they met and one who has...different views on how to stay entertained. He's not Evil though, he honestly does care about those not very permanent partners and his offspring even though most of them are in all different (Traveler mod) connected worlds.

But he's also the one with the genetic connection to my family's founder in Gen 1, the good brother who was carrying on the legacy anyway was adopted. And it's fun seeing my founder's genetics running around all of the worlds that sibling has ever visited. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @coco Yours is gigantic!
  • xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    When I used to play multi-generational saves (in excess of 20 gens) I used to use Family Echo for keeping track of my family trees.

I use this as well. It is a good app and it is free.
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member

Given the family tree's tendency to break or otherwise be problematic, many, many Legacy players use(d) Family Echo - so many of us did that I'm sure at least one or two people over at Family Echo were saying "what kind of crazy family trees are these?" Ahhhh... the good old days. Haven't done a Legacy in forever... hmmmm...
  • xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    Surreal wrote: »

Given the family tree's tendency to break or otherwise be problematic, many, many Legacy players use(d) Family Echo - so many of us did that I'm sure at least one or two people over at Family Echo were saying "what kind of crazy family trees are these?" Ahhhh... the good old days. Haven't done a Legacy in forever... hmmmm...

Yeah. I often wonder if people look and think, is this their family tree? They are adding on it every two minutes. :):):):)
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @coco , @Mikezumi I'm impressed... :)
    NymlADp.jpg