Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Are the Utilities?

The postman says "Your mail has been delivered, you have 48 hours to pay your bills before we shut off your utilities one by one."
I'm usually pretty diligent about paying my bills. I have had the lights shut off once (though, oddly, it didn't seem to affect the computer).
What I'm wondering is... What are all the utilities and what is their shut-off schedule?
9ndehwc.png

Comments

• IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    After the first 48 hours, electricity is shut off. Then you get another 48 hours, I think, until the water is shut off.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    The Utilities are based on a certain percentage of the objects your household includes objects in your house your household inventory and sims inventory.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Oh boy, utilities. One time I bought a house I couldn't afford and I had to forgo electricity for a few days. I came close to losing water. Sims logic, right?
  • PinkmonkeyPinkmonkey Posts: 188 Member
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    The Utilities are based on a certain percentage of the objects your household includes objects in your house your household inventory and sims inventory.

Does this include items on owned retail lots?
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    Pinkmonkey wrote: »

Yes, if you don't pay the bills, the utilities (power and water) will be shut down not only at your house, but also at the retail stores, restaurants, and vet clinics you own.
  • iamsweetmysteryiamsweetmystery Posts: 250 Member
    All good info. Thanks. If anyone knows more, please fill me in. For instance, if there's anything else after water. It's not like I plan on neglecting my bills, but I do like to know things like this. Little details sometimes just pique my curiosity.
    9ndehwc.png
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    nope, power and water are all. and candles will still light up at night without power, which is a nice touch
  • PinkmonkeyPinkmonkey Posts: 188 Member
    edited August 2018
    EgonVM wrote: »

Yes, if you don't pay the bills, the utilities (power and water) will be shut down not only at your house, but also at the retail stores, restaurants, and vet clinics you own.

Cool. So I can't hide all my extra collectibles in my retail lots to keep them from increasing my bills?
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,827 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »

Cool. So I can't hide all my extra collectibles in my retail lots to keep them from increasing my bills?

Yes you can. The items at the retail lot will not increase your bills unless that is a recent update.
    I just store any collectibles I don't want to display in a chest. There are several storage chests the Buy/Build Catalog (under Storage>Miscellaneous). It can hold as much as you want and keep it all accessible.
    9ndehwc.png
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I just store any collectibles I don't want to display in a chest. There are several storage chests the Buy/Build Catalog (under Storage>Miscellaneous). It can hold as much as you want and keep it all accessible.

Yes, but they'll still affect the overall total of all your bills!
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    I wasn't aware of that. It doesn't seem to make much sense either. Does that mean the veggies and fish in your fridge or fish in a fish tank raise your bills too?
    9ndehwc.png
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I wasn't aware of that. It doesn't seem to make much sense either. Does that mean the veggies and fish in your fridge or fish in a fish tank raise your bills too?

Unfortunately yes, anything stored away within a residential lot still counts towards the overall total of the bills, since it calculates everything on the home lot as well as in the household inventory and individual sims' inventories. I learned this the hard way. Luckily most stored items add very little to the bills, it's whole collections that rack up a lot.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    This goes a long way to explain a lot. It's a good thing money in the game is so easy to come by. Some of my families have numerous completed collections as well as hundreds of veggies, fruits and flowers stockpiles for cooking and crafting supplies. I never made the connection to that and their bills because their houses are so expensive in the first place. Definitely best to save serious collecting for families who are already wealthy. Since I like setting up big display rooms in the basements to visibly track my collections, it's better for families who can afford to do so. One thing I will say, I like the utility shut-off system better than the old way, which involved a repo man coming to your house and taking random stuff equal to the value of your bills, then having to figure out everything they took and replace it.
    9ndehwc.png
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member

Unfortunately yes, anything stored away within a residential lot still counts towards the overall total of the bills, since it calculates everything on the home lot as well as in the household inventory and individual sims' inventories. I learned this the hard way. Luckily most stored items add very little to the bills, it's whole collections that rack up a lot.

So glad in RL the power and water usage isn't calculated that way. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    Hilarious, GalacticGal, and so very true.
    9ndehwc.png
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    To add to this bills are also based on energy usage and and possibly water usage. If you have your lights on 24/7 or any other electrical device on most of the time your bills will increase and I'm not sure if this is true but the more water you use also add to the overall cost.
    Seems like they're trying to bankrupt all the Sims. Next thing you know, Bladder Fails and Pet Poop will raise your bills as well. It's crazy.
    9ndehwc.png
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    To add to this bills are also based on energy usage and and possibly water usage. If you have your lights on 24/7 or any other electrical device on most of the time your bills will increase and I'm not sure if this is true but the more water you use also add to the overall cost.

Sounds reasonable. 8 sims houses should get higher bills than single sim households.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg