Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Butler Issues

One of my families has a butler because, due to some unforeseen circumstances, they ended up having four young children all at once, and all three adults in the house worked full-time. However, I don't remember the butler ever getting paid. I thought the funds were supposed to be automatically deducted from the household funds every Sunday? That never seems to happen, but I don't know why. Thoughts?

Also, the household switches between butlers for no apparent reason. Currently it is an old man, but in the past they have had the younger version of the old man as their butler (same name, at least), as well as a female butler. It seems to randomize who they get every time I play the family, and I don't know how to make it stop because every time I get a different butler, I have to reassign them to a bed and reintroduce everyone to them. I had another family with the same problem, and I eventually just fired the butler and never rehired a new one. Any ideas?
Gallery ID: floridameerkat
Family trees:
Young
Pearce
Niner

Comments

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Actually, butlers are supposed to deduct money after every day, or everytime you leave your house and come back to it (at least that's the case for me anyway). If your game isn't even paying the butler even at every day, then there must be a problem. As for the other thing, do you have other households in your game that have butlers too? It's well known that butlers often switch around between multiple households due to the game never having coded a way to mark said butler as your household's sole butler. You may also experience this when you've fired/dismissed previous butlers but let them stay in your game as townies, but of course they would then still keep being butlers and would switch as your butler often because of this.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    Actually, butlers are supposed to deduct money after every day, or everytime you leave your house and come back to it (at least that's the case for me anyway). If your game isn't even paying the butler even at every day, then there must be a problem. As for the other thing, do you have other households in your game that have butlers too? It's well known that butlers often switch around between multiple households due to the game never having coded a way to mark said butler as your household's sole butler. You may also experience this when you've fired/dismissed previous butlers but let them stay in your game as townies, but of course they would then still keep being butlers and would switch as your butler often because of this.

I did have another household in the same save that had a butler. They had the same problem, so I fired the butler and they just make do without one. But, currently, only one of my families has a butler. I didn't realize that I had to completely remove the butler from the game. I thought once they were fired/dismissed they went away on their own.

I didn't realize it was every day. If that's the case, then my poor butler has never been paid .
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    Do any of your sims have the "free services" reward trait?
    Evie0602 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure on the fine print on that trait states that only one-time services are free? If you have scheduled services then they have to get paid regularly.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member

I'm pretty sure on the fine print on that trait states that only one-time services are free? If you have scheduled services then they have to get paid regularly.

It still applies for Butlers. I was surprised to learn this when VG came out but it is true.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member

They do not.
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
    Cupid wrote: »

It still applies for Butlers. I was surprised to learn this when VG came out but it is true.

Guess I should really take advantage of this...
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member

I did have another household in the same save that had a butler. They had the same problem, so I fired the butler and they just make do without one. But, currently, only one of my families has a butler. I didn't realize that I had to completely remove the butler from the game. I thought once they were fired/dismissed they went away on their own.

I didn't realize it was every day. If that's the case, then my poor butler has never been paid .

You should raise these issues as bugs over on the AHQ forum.
  • snootypatootysnootypatooty Posts: 499 Member
    edited September 2018
    The free services trait is not a one time deal all my played sims have the trait and they never pay for any services ever, no fee for a nanny or butler of course I do tip the nanny each time before I dismiss them but the butler just works for free
    The mind will ever be unstable that has only prejudices to rest on, and the current will run with destructive fury when there are no barriers to break its force.
    My website bit.ly/185bQS My Chat website bit.ly/1NiCwCb My Blog bit.ly/OuqF0Y
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    ...every one of my households that use butlers in my usual save have the free services reward purchased already, so i was exceptionally shocked to see money deducted in this test save daily when the household hired a butler. took a bit to figure out why they were losing money daily because i'd never seen it before (and these households all had the trait before butlers were even a thing. they'd taken advantage of the free gardeners then)

as for the trading butlers, that is sadly still a very annoying thing. any time you change lots, you're bound to have a different butler when you return home than when you left. it mostly just cycles through the existing butlers in your game. but it's still annoying. especially if, like me, you've got very...specialized butlers for certain households. an alien butler for my space academy, a ghost butler for my vampire castle, and a vampire butler i created but doesn't belong anywhere. it's frustrating seeing one of these show up at, say, the landgraabs house...
  • Timocchio1969Timocchio1969 Posts: 8 New Member
    > @kalaksed said:
    > ...every one of my households that use butlers in my usual save have the free services reward purchased already, so i was exceptionally shocked to see money deducted in this test save daily when the household hired a butler. took a bit to figure out why they were losing money daily because i'd never seen it before (and these households all had the trait before butlers were even a thing. they'd taken advantage of the free gardeners then)
    >
    > as for the trading butlers, that is sadly still a very annoying thing. any time you change lots, you're bound to have a different butler when you return home than when you left. it mostly just cycles through the existing butlers in your game. but it's still annoying. especially if, like me, you've got very...specialized butlers for certain households. an alien butler for my space academy, a ghost butler for my vampire castle, and a vampire butler i created but doesn't belong anywhere. it's frustrating seeing one of these show up at, say, the landgraabs house...

Greetings all...I am new here and I hope I am posting in the right place. I tried finding a solution on the EA sites but to no avail. I used the cas.fulleditmode cheat to change my butler, maid and nanny. I changed pretty much everything...their sex, age, appearance and even their traits and ambitions. I even renamed them. I only have 2 households that uses these employees. My second household hired these services as well and the butler, nanny and maid that showed up are the exact same ones. The game isn't randomly generating different ones.

kalaksed, I saw your comment about specialized butlers for certain households. How to you do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
  • CreateitgamingCreateitgaming Posts: 16 New Member
    Does anyone's butler keep dying? Literally dying for no reason every few days.
  • CreateitgamingCreateitgaming Posts: 16 New Member
    Also Butler is not doing any jobs except cleaning even though it is set to do all jobs
  • PlainevilPlainevil Posts: 221 Member
    Does anyone's butler keep dying? Literally dying for no reason every few days.

I had a butler die a couple of weeks ago, but he froze to death. During winter he choose to read his book, while sitting on the edge of the outdoor swimming pool. Stayed there all day and then died in the evening. That's the only butler death i have ever had. I find disabling child care helps a bit with the other tasks but on most days my butlers just read there book or play on the gaming rig, instead of gardening and fixing broken objects.
  • SarahTheRedSarahTheRed Posts: 388 Member
    My butlers have been dropping dead repeatedly for no apparent reason. I think maybe they're starving? It makes my Sim family totes sad all the time but the butler graveyard out back is funny.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    @timotheus1969 slightly late reply (haven't been on the forums much these past few weeks), but used either cheats or mods to make those butlers. well, for the vampire butler, just have a vampire turn the butler. though it does get a bit fiddly afterwards sometimes

i'd edited one of my game's butlers to have green skin when she was working at my space academy, pretending that she was an alien employee, since most of that household is either aliens or half-aliens. then when i downloaded mccc to fix a few broken relationships in my game (the joy of having to upload/redownload two households that were related) i went ahead and used it to turn her into a proper alien

the ghost butler, i just used the sim id (easily gotten with the showsiminfo mod) and used it to cheat the butler hidden trait onto one of my ghost sims

all three work properly at times, but also have days where they just don't show up at all. which gets annoying. they're also up on the gallery, if really interested
  • Timocchio1969Timocchio1969 Posts: 8 New Member
    @kalaksed Thanks for the reply. I will try some of the methods. Is your name on the gallery the same as it is here? Mine is the same. I'd like to check your butlers out. Have a good one. :) Much appreciated!
  • simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
    My butler changed. I left the lot on a visit and came back to a different butler. I thought this had been fixed a long time ago.
    simstr0ng wrote: »
    My butler changed. I left the lot on a visit and came back to a different butler. I thought this had been fixed a long time ago.

I don't think it ever was fixed.
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    I wish it was fixed. I don't use butlers at all because of this issue.
    I stopped using butlers because they changed - and the actions for directing butlers were limited. Butlers would be such a great addition if they worked.
  • miss_jordanmiss_jordan Posts: 6 New Member
    It's January and I wanted butlers but now i'm not so sure... Has the butlers been fixed?
    I don't think butlers have been fixed. My keep disappearing and being replaced by the Klepto butler - I immediately fire and hire another. This happens when I travel a Sim or I go with a Sim to work. When the Sim returns home there is not butler...after a long while Klepto appears. I wonder if I took Klepto out of the game that would help?
    Fired Klepto again.
  • GG1954GG1954 Posts: 14 New Member
    how does one get a butler?